Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I MUST DANCE!  (Read 9174 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I MUST DANCE!
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes danced, and now it is time for you to post until the dancing cows come home - they're currently dancing the ballet of The Red Moos.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: I MUST DANCE!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »

And the word of the day is: INSOUCIANCE!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:28:16 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »

Good morning, all! Last night the slamming door and heavy tread of the Oaf Above me were spectacularly loud, coming right through those damned ear plugs, but I must have been quite tired because I soon settled down and fell back to sleep. I have no idea what time it was, only that it was after midnight, snce I put the book down at 11:15.

This morning I have a round of God knows what at the NYU Dental Clinic, and, depending on when I leave there, I may head over to the NYPL to continue reading about Miss Elsie Janis and the 1913-1914 tour of Victor Herbert's LADY OF THE SLIPPER. If not, I'll head back here to continue my attempt to write a preface to the second volume of BABES IN TOYLAND, although I am getting quite discouraged about much of the work and research I've been doing.

DR MichaelS, I have not seen all of the 1929 SHOW BOAT footage that was shot, but a good friend of mine says one sequence ends with the camera pulling back from the stage into the auditorium and showing Ziegfeld sitting in the audience.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:12:51 AM »

Morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 05:13:50 AM »

I'm going to have to set aside some time this weekend to watch the Showboat clips. They sound great.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:14:32 AM »

Thanks to all for the job vibes. I've already applied to two positions this morning. They just keep going out.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 05:15:21 AM »

Hey, DR Elmore, how is the musical theater book? Worth a look?
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:34 AM »

Thanks to all for the job vibes. I've already applied to two positions this morning. They just keep going out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Further Good Job Vibes for DR JohnG! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:31:43 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Good sleeping last night with our windows open.  Today we're going to Kenwood Towne Center for my Vera visit and then come home to rest and enjoy SOUTH PACIFIC on PBS.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:32:06 AM »

Job search vibes to DR John G!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 05:34:28 AM »

Hey, DR Elmore, how is the musical theater book? Worth a look?

Evry book has something to offer, but almost all of them fall down on matters concerning the turn-of-the-century (19th-20th) materials because it's too distant and they know too little. From OKLAHOMA! on, the musical is very well documented on disc, film, paper, etc., but there is litle to no documentation beyond newspaper clippings and memoirs for such early forms like the minstrel show, the medicine show, or the extravaganza. Creators of "The Golden Age" were old enough to have seen an actual minstrel show, Lillian Russell and other legendary stars like Mabel Barrison and Fred Stone (Oscar Hammerstein I produced "Naughty Marietta" and Dillingham, who produced the 1905 "The Red Mill" produced into the late 20s), but no one today has. Stephen Sondheim showed with "Please Hello" that he can parody Gilbert and Sullivan a bit, but Gershwin, Weill, Porter, Rodgers & Hart all wanted to write a G&S show. Some did it well: OF THEE I SING, KNICKERBOCKER HOLIDAY, DEAREST ENEMY and they're some of my favorites.

There was a period where classic operetta revivals could successfully have a decent run but today the smartass kids on the internet would kill their chances. They can be merciless with some of the Encores! productions for being "old-fashioned" or "bad construction," and the goal there has always been to present material that may not succeed in a legit revival or to examine the works of an earlier period for what it was. Audiences probably have always had the smartass audience percentage - I was certainly one once - but their closed minds, superior attitudes and bitchery can certainly kill a lot of fun in being an audience member.

I find it all fascinating, but few of the researchers writing about "musical theatre" want to even deal with such old-fashioned materials like operetta and revue, even though those forms - somewhat mutated - exist today as part of the American musical theatre. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:41:55 AM by elmore3003 »

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 05:41:29 AM »

Greetings and GOOD vibes of all sorts to all sorts of people!   :D

I think "all sorts of people"  is a good way to describe everyone here!/
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 06:05:04 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Good sleeping last night with our windows open.  Today we're going to Kenwood Towne Center for my Vera visit and then come home to rest and enjoy SOUTH PACIFIC on PBS.

I keep forgetting about SOUTH PACIFIC.  I wonder why the 8:30 start time?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 06:07:42 AM »

* * * * *  JOB OF YOUR DREAMS VIBES FOR DR JOHN G.  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 06:15:53 AM »

The sucky thing about these three hour plus GREAT PERFORMANCES broadcasts (of which SOUTH PACIFIC will be a part of tonight) is that while I'll have no problem recording the entire broadcast, my DVD recorder cannot burn anything longer than a two hours to a disc.  I can still copy an entire show to disc, but I have no control over where the split will occur.  There's always the hope that a GREAT PERFORMANCES broadcast will be sold commercially, but I have the feeling that the R&H organization won't allow this one to go immediately on the market.

I really need to get off my butt and start looking for a Blu-Ray player and recorder so I can save these longer broadcasts to one disc.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 06:16:48 AM »

Maybe it's a delayed broadcast?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 06:18:57 AM »

BTW, when I posted last night about TCM showing the colorized version of THE QUIET MAN, I was being facetious.  The color was just so awful that it resembled those movies that Turner colorized during the 90's.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 06:20:37 AM »

Maybe--so that the censors would have time to block out the bare ass sailors?
-- Anaïs Nin

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 06:35:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: INSOUCIANCE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  NOT A CARE IN THE WORLD

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 06:36:59 AM »

Maybe--so that the censors would have time to block out the bare ass sailors?

Very possibly.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 06:43:27 AM »

Me legs are really sore today and I'm not exactly sure why.  I did bike a little bit longer yesterday. BUt i wouldn't have thought it would be enough to make them ache. I could hardly walk up and down stairs!

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 06:44:37 AM »

BK, you should have some healthier food in your house for when you get hungry.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 06:49:32 AM »

Bare Ass Sailors

That is the title of my new memoir.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 06:49:56 AM »

I of course was at rehearsal so I missed the entire thing....perhaps it will be rebroadcast sometime or other.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 06:53:14 AM »

Last week I was watching with some fascination a machine at Wegman's that created some kind of popcorn cakes that are low calorie and tastier than rice cakes.

Wegmans Puffed Corn Cake Machine
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 06:54:53 AM »

Dance Movies.....

I of course love THE RED SHOES and there is a contemporary dance movie called THE COMPANY that is most interesting and entertaining with some fine dancing in it.  It is from director Robert Altman and stars Neve Campbell & James Franco.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335013/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 06:55:34 AM »

Popcorn Cake.....is that like a PancakeWich?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »

Bare Ass Sailors

That is the title of my new memoir.

Well, you will have no lack of readers at this here website.

And DR JRand, SOUTH PACIFIC is on tonight at 8:30.  Also being repeated on Sunday at 3:00 pm.  Set your recording apparatus accordingly.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 06:56:59 AM »

Gotta Dance!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up