Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I MUST DANCE!  (Read 9269 times)

Cillaliz

Re: I MUST DANCE!
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 06:57:59 AM »

Good morning. The arm is a little stiff, but I thin it's ok.  I had been using a hand saw for a good 30 minutes before the big limb hit the arm, so a little soreness isn't unexpected. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »

Another very busy day.  I really slept hard last night and had the strangest dream.  My parents told me I wasn't really born on my birthday or in my hometown, but was born in a town in Nebraska about a year earlier while my mother was driving somewhere with another woman.  I was trying to figure it all out in my dream and then I woke up.  Really weird. 

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 07:05:58 AM »

Good morning, all!

Apropros of not much: Reading the notes about Stravinsky, I'm reminded of when I first listened to "Rite of Spring" (Le sacre du printemps for all you French snobs out there) in an undergraduate music elective, and was absolutely blown away. Back then, I had just started to explore Sondheim's works, so hearing an earlier composer using "dissonances" melodically was an absolute thrill.

Somewhere in my LP collection is a recording of "Rite of Spring" performed as a two-piano piece from Stravinsky's early scoring (i.e. what the Ballet Russe rehearsed to before they got the full orchestra in). I really have to dig that up again...

Laura

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 07:06:30 AM »

I think if you broke your arm you'd know it. I knew it. Boy, did I know it.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »

Ahhhhhhhhhhh......maybe I will see the SUNDAY show....I am working in the box office at 5 p.m. tonight and then through the show BYE BYE BIRDIE and staying to clean afterwards.......my last chore for this particular production.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 07:08:09 AM »

I have sent DR MBARNUM an envelope containing Mr Steve Cochran and Miss Belita.

Elan

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 07:11:27 AM »

Wow! That's a pretty big envelope! (ba-dum-bum-boom! Don't forget to tip your waitress...)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »

It is taped securely DR ELAN....so I am hoping for the best.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 07:23:36 AM »

And as the waitress said to the cheapskate:

"Sir.....you forgot your dime."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 07:50:42 AM »

BTW, when I posted last night about TCM showing the colorized version of THE QUIET MAN, I was being facetious.  The color was just so awful that it resembled those movies that Turner colorized during the 90's.

I'm not sure, but I think the picture was made in Republic's Trucolor, which was awful.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 08:05:56 AM »

BTW, when I posted last night about TCM showing the colorized version of THE QUIET MAN, I was being facetious.  The color was just so awful that it resembled those movies that Turner colorized during the 90's.

I'm not sure, but I think the picture was made in Republic's Trucolor, which was awful.

No, it was Technicolor...that print was awful.  My DVD of "The Quiet Man" is quite lovely...and the promise of what could be done on Blu-ray could result in a truly spectactular presentation.

From wikipedia:

One of the conditions that Republic Pictures placed on John Ford was that the film came in at under two hours total running time. The finished picture was two hours and fifteen minutes. When screening the film for Republic Studio executives, Ford stopped the film at approximately two hours in: on the verge of the climactic fight between Wayne and McLaglen. Republic executives relented and allowed the film to run its full length. It was one of the few films that Republic filmed in Technicolor; most of the studio's other color films were made in a more economical process known as Trucolor.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:08:49 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 08:17:23 AM »

Hey everyone.  Just saying hi before we conclude our trip here in Anaheim and drive back to the bay area sometime today.  (maybe even late today)  Cya!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 08:27:33 AM »

THE QUIET MAN is one of my very favorite films, but there are some shots in there that are strange if not downright wacky.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 08:30:40 AM »

So how was Disneyland with the precious children? Did they make it without tantrums?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »

THE QUIET MAN is one of my very favorite films, but there are some shots in there that are strange if not downright wacky.

That's the beauty...the absolute joyfulness...of it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 09:44:35 AM »

I am definitely going to record SOUTH PACIFIC tonight on PBS.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 09:44:59 AM »

Although I'm going to watch my niece's last soccer match (if you can call it that).

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »

It's hard to believe that she starts kindergarten in 2 weeks.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »

When I was in Ireland back in 1999, I visited the village of Cong where the movie was filmed.  Indeed, the entire economy of that town is now based on the fact that THE QUIET MAN was shot there.  There's "THE QUIET MAN pub," THE QUIET MAN laundry," etc.

I have some photographs of the village in my upcoming book.

Laura

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 10:08:13 AM »

Kittens:

Arnold:

Vixter:

Penny:

Jack:

John:

Kevin:

Druxy:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »

I'm up after a good night's sleep.

Elan

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »

I vaguely remember seeing The Quiet Man ages ago with a friend of mine who was obsessed with Maureen O'Hara (not that I can blame him), but my favorite Quiet Man reference was in the Marie Jones play Stones in His Pockets

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 10:28:14 AM »

I really like this quote from Milton Berle:

"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 10:32:39 AM »

I think he'd prefer the Bare Ass Sailors.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2010, 10:37:11 AM »

When I was in Ireland back in 1999, I visited the village of Cong where the movie was filmed.  Indeed, the entire economy of that town is now based on the fact that THE QUIET MAN was shot there.  There's "THE QUIET MAN pub," THE QUIET MAN laundry," etc.

LOL!  I was thinking about how nice it would be to look for TQM locations in Ireland as I was watching the movie last night.  I should have known that it would all be commercialized.

"...and for an evening of impetuous and Homeric romance, be sure to spend a night at the Woman of the House Inn.  Free souvenir stick to beat your lovely lady.  Wipe your feet!"

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »

I have returned from the NYU Dental clinic battered but alive. They now go on a two-week break so I see Dr Yschouk on September 8 for the next round.

I rode the crosstown bus at 23rd from First to Tenth Avenue and transferred to the 10th Avenue uptown bus so we passed Lincoln Center. The tv and sound trucks are lined up along 65th Street for tonight's broadcast. Very exciting. I suppose the audience for today's matinee will have to deal with the cameramen running through their moves.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »

According to the "Live From Lincoln Center" site, it will be shown at 8 pm, not 8:30 on Channel 13.
http://www.pbs.org/livefromlincolncenter/airdates.html

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »

LOL!  I was thinking about how nice it would be to look for TQM locations in Ireland as I was watching the movie last night.  I should have known that it would all be commercialized.

"...and for an evening of impetuous and Homeric romance, be sure to spend a night at the Woman of the House Inn.  Free souvenir stick to beat your lovely lady.  Wipe your feet!"

Actually, they've rebuilt the cottage that Wayne/O'Hara lived in.  It's a museum.

I have a photo of it in the book.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »

According to the "Live From Lincoln Center" site, it will be shown at 8 pm, not 8:30 on Channel 13.

I keep getting "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" for my local PBS station when I lookup the show time.

Grrrrrrrr...
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 11:44:15 AM »

I keep getting "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" for my local PBS station when I lookup the show time.

Grrrrrrrr...

What's your PBS station, DR Dan(the Man)?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up