Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG DECISION  (Read 11584 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BIG DECISION
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:44:07 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were big and decisive, and now it is time for you to post until the big and decisive cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE BIG DECISION
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:44:53 PM »

And the word of the day is: GORMANDIZE!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:27:25 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR TCB! Today is the day you're allowed to gormandize your birthday cake!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 03:20:29 AM »

Three in the morning and I've yet to fall asleep.  That is what happens when you make a big decision - I've got so much stuff going on in my head and I make notes and then try to sleep and get more ideas - not just the one book, but both - it's exhilarating, yes, but during the day, not in the middle of the night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 03:20:58 AM »

And I have to be up in three hours to announce.  Maybe I'll just stay up all night, but that will not be so good to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 03:47:25 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  Are you all having trouble sleeping?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:47:34 AM »

Slow.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 03:49:58 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 04:33:29 AM »

Have a very happy birthday TCB. And many many more
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 04:34:11 AM »

OMGosh, yes,

Happy Birthday to the Young Man himself.

TCB!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 04:44:10 AM »

Happy, happy, TCB!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:57:27 AM »

TOD: I love any number of mystery series, at least while the author's imagination remains fertile. It seems that nowadays the pressure to meet deadlines is so great that the imagination has lost out while the word processing has taken over.

I used to read James Hall's mysteries and Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware books, but no more. I really enjoy Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books and the John Lescroart series with Dismas Hardy. More recently, I loved all three of Stieg Larssen's "Millennium" series and I'm enjoying the movies almost as much (it's fun to see how much of the 600-page novels have streamlined for the movies and just how much those cuts have worked).

Dylan Schaffer started a series called Misdemeanor Man about the lead singer of a Barry Manilow tribute band. The humor was there, so was the fast pacing that kept you turning pages.

Another favorite is from up the road in Austin, Jeff Abbott, who also writes stories that keep you on the edge of your seat.

I could go on and on, and these are just the men writers. I also read Janet Evanovich (though her game is more humor and less mystery these days), Elizabeth George, Ngaio Marsh, Josephine Tey and more.

I started when I was a kid with two of the best: Agatha Christie and Erle Stanley Gardner.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 04:58:19 AM »

that's it for me this morning. off on a job search and off to one of my last days at the census bureau. Nine to go.
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 05:22:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: GORMANDIZE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TOO FAT POLKA

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:23:35 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY TCB

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 05:28:14 AM »

HUGE HUGS AND BIRTHDAY CHEERs TO BELOVED TCB!!!

And cake!
I like boat races.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 05:38:28 AM »

Happy Birthday, TCB!
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 05:42:11 AM »

I'm pleased to announce that my memoir, MY FORTY-FIVE DAYS IN HOLLYWOOD AND HOW I ESCAPED ALIVE, is now available for order directly from the publisher, BearManor Media.

http://bearmanormedia.bizland.com/id528.html
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 05:44:44 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's appointment day for us - Richard goes to the dentist this morning to have a crown put in and I go to the cardiologist this afternoon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 05:45:04 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR TCB!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 05:46:31 AM »

! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR TCB  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 05:47:41 AM »

Mazel Tov on the publication of your book, DR Druxy!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 06:00:52 AM »

TOD:

I'm not sure whether or not the works of the following authors count as a series or not:

Agatha Christie
Ngaio Marsh
Dashiell Hammett
Dorothy Sayers
P D James

I've just started reading the first Stieg Larsson book, so I may be reading that entire series (all three of 'em.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 06:01:49 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR TCB!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 06:02:19 AM »

Up late.  I shall be back in a bit.....to order DR DRUXY's book......and to talk about the TOD.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 06:02:43 AM »

I was working on lines so much yesterday, I forgot MAD MEN was on!!!  I will have to watch it tonight ON DEMAND.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 06:11:03 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept in, spent some time on Facebook, mostly dealing with requests for the dates I need chorus people for the Herbert recording and chatting wth my friend Larry Blank. Now i'm pondering my morning and looking at the rubble of my apartment, debating priorities.

DRs Miss Karen and vixmom, on your birthdays I sent you e-cards. Neither has been read, and I'm wondering if they ended up as - God forbid! - spam? As far as I can tell, I have the correct email addresses.

So, today, after tidying this place and getting some writing accomplished, I have to leave here around noon and head down to Toyland. I have things to do there before I head at 2pm for the Wall Street area and a 3 o'clock meeting with New World Records. It will be a looooong afternoon, not because of the meeting, but because I neither understand the geography of the Wall Street area nor navigate well in unfamiliar territory. Getting back uptown in rush hour may be a bitch.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 06:12:12 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday to DR TCB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 06:25:51 AM »

Well, I got ninety minutes of sleep.  I've announced our new CD and orders are already coming in.  I may go back to sleep for an hour or two if I can.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 06:28:22 AM »

Got an interesting review for the new book from a book trade magazine called ForeWARD Clarion.

There’s Mel, There’s Woody, and There’s You: My Life in the Slow Lane
Bruce Kimmel
AuthorHouse
978-1-4520-1116-5
Five Stars (out of Five)

There’s a lot to like about Bruce Kimmel’s zany memoir. Kimmel, a second banana actor who appeared in television shows like “Happy Days” and “The Partridge Family,” never made it anywhere near as big as his Hollywood look-alike, Chevy Chase, so he decided to write and direct plays and films. In 1993, Kimmel became disenchanted with Hollywood and reinvented himself as a record producer.
This book is the story of Kimmel’s television, movie and stage career. He tells it simply, candidly, and with a great deal of wit, self-deprecation and good humor.

To a large extent, the title is indicative of the irony that pervades Kimmel’s all-too-typical Hollywood journey. “There’s Mel, there’s Woody, and there’s you,” is a direct quote from the corporate head of Paramount, a major Hollywood film studio. He told Kimmel after viewing his low-budget spoof, “The First Nudie Musical,” that “We believe in you and think you’re going to be the next thing in comedy.” Kimmel, of course, was “utterly euphoric” to be perceived as keeping company with the likes of Mel Brooks and Woody Allen.

But that was about as far as it went because Paramount tried to kill the film straightaway. The reason was painfully clear: Kimmel’s good friend, Cindy Williams, had agreed to take a leading role in “The First Nudie Musical,” but now she was appearing in the hit television show, “Laverne and Shirley.” Paramount just couldn’t afford the negative publicity from the rising star.

As it turned out, Cindy herself executed a Hollywood-style power play and saved the launch of the film, at least temporarily. “The First Nudie Musical” had only a brief run before Paramount permanently shut it down.

That was perhaps Kimmel’s biggest success and certainly his most stinging disappointment. But it turns out this experience was just one of many career misfortunes Kimmel had to endure. In the book, Kimmel willingly shares his other trials and tribulations, to the point where sympathetic readers may wonder how the author can wake up each day and do it all over again. It is Kimmel’s charming way of handling what life throws at him that ultimately sees the actor-writer-director through the worst of times. Indeed, Kimmel becomes an endearing character in the book for whom the reader cheers when something good happens.

As with any Hollywood memoir, There’s Mel, There’s Woody, and There’s You has its share of kiss-and-tell moments, behind-the-scenes politics, and party-induced shenanigans. But through it all, Bruce Kimmel comes off as basically a nice guy who played the Hollywood game as best he could and lost more than he won.

For readers who want to get an entertaining glimpse of what happens on the backlot and behind the camera, Bruce Kimmel’s memoir fits the bill.

Barry Silverstein
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up