Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEKKEND REPORT  (Read 80002 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:THE WEKKEND REPORT
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2004, 11:32:49 AM »

DR Panni:

Simile:  "Like a Rock" (another Paul Simon, of course)
"Like a Bird on a Wire" (Leonard Cohen)
"For Good" from Wicked has a couple of strings of similes in this venerable folk tradition.

Metaphor:  "You Are the Wind Beneath My Wings"
"You Are My Sunshine"
"The Girl Who Use to Be Me" has a beautiful metaphor:  "You could read by the light of her eyes."

Pure Fantasy:  "Like a Virgin" as sung by Madonna.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 11:37:43 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2004, 11:36:22 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                      ;D
                    ;D  ;D
                  ;D       ;D
                ;D           ;D
               ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D [/move]

Page 3 dance.  So there, too, William E. Lurie!!   :P :P :P        
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2004, 11:37:52 AM »

Does any other DR (besides me) ever refresh a page, see no new messages, and then finally realize we've started a new page.

I think I just may do the Page Three Dumb Girl Dance!
:(

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2004, 11:39:33 AM »

Does any other DR (besides me) ever refresh a page, see no new messages, and then finally realize we've started a new page.

I think I just may do the Page Three Dumb Girl Dance!
:(

You are NOT alone in this! ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

Just got this request from a friend who does a (more intellectual variety) call-in radio show. This is the perfect place, I do believe, to ask his question...

The first Sunday in June, I'll be doing a show on metaphor (including similes, analogies, etc.) that explores why we use such imagery, how we feel on encountering a particularly apt metaphor, etc.  And for interludes between calls I would like to have a handful of good musical passages (from songs, presumably), that exemplify or otherwise bear upon the theme.  For example, one I already have in mind is Paul Simon's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters."  Do you know any other good possibilities?  I would very much appreciate your suggestions.  Thanks

"Mr. Cellophane" should fit this bill rather nicely, too.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jed

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2004, 11:46:28 AM »

Shall I be bitchslapped from here to eternity and also to hell and back if I admit that SOME LIKE IT HOT is actually the ONLY Marilyn Monroe movie I've seen?  Ahh well, admit it I shall.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2004, 11:47:12 AM »

How can we leave out "Metaphor" from The Fantasticks?!?

Jed

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2004, 11:48:51 AM »

Happy day to DR Danise!

Glad to see you back with us, TCB!  Enough of these fershluganah health problems already!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2004, 11:51:08 AM »

Jay - Good list!

Thank you for the song suggestions, Jay, WFO, Jed.

Jed - You have a treat in store when you finally catch up with SLIH. I envy you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 11:52:22 AM by Panni »

Jed

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2004, 12:02:15 PM »

Jed - You have a treat in store when you finally catch up with SLIH. I envy you.

Me thinks you misread my post, Panni.  SLIH is the one MM film I don't have to catch up with.

Panni

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2004, 12:02:45 PM »

FYI:

'Friends' Finale Draws 51 Million Viewers (EXCERPTS)

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The final "Friends" episode drew 51.1 million viewers as U.S. television's top-rated comedy ended its 10-year NBC run preliminary ratings issued on Friday show.

It was the second-biggest TV audience this year behind the 89.6 million viewers posted by the Feb. 1 Super Bowl telecast, making it the most watched non-sports program since the August 2000 finale of the first "Survivor," which drew 51.7 million.

While at the high end of NBC's expectations, the "Friends" farewell audience on Thursday fell short of the show's all-time high of 52.9 million viewers for the post-Super Bowl telecast of Jan. 28, 1996, NBC said.

The "Friends" finale's audience, 53 percent of all those people watching television from 9 to 10 p.m., also was eclipsed by the 76 million viewers who saw "Seinfeld" depart NBC's airwaves in 1998.

The conclusion to "Friends" capped months of media hype that helped drive advertising rates for the finale to a Super Bowl-sized $2 million for each 30-second spot, the most ever for a sitcom.

The hourlong "Friends" retrospective special that preceded the final episode also drew big numbers, averaging 35.9 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Panni

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2004, 12:04:44 PM »

Me thinks you misread my post, Panni.  SLIH is the one MM film I don't have to catch up with.

Oops (Spoo)....

François de Paris

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2004, 12:10:54 PM »

Dear Reader George:

Yes, Lorna Dallas has a very nice singing voice, I think!

I'm gonna say something HORRENDOUS! -- Yes, you can hate me for that! :P..... But I've never cared for Marilyn Monroe the actress :-[

Did she vere SING? To me, she purred, rrrrr, ... and I 'm a cat person!

JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE to our very own and cared for Dear Reader Danise! Have a happy and memorable celebration!
Hope your four-legged friends won't forget you :-*

Pooh, pooh! The iMack we use at my work-place is defective and we are NOT ALLOWED to download anything anymore!
So; I can't listen to my favourite BBC radio programmes!
Booh Hoo! Ain't that bloody dreadful, Dear Reader Ben and George?
Don't you commiserate? What an awful way to end my wekk!

Qu'ils aillent tous en enfer, I say! :P

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2004, 12:16:50 PM »

DS (Dear Son) Jed --  I have probably asked you this before, but you know how senile I am becoming, is the Highway Grill still open in Ellensburg???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 12:56:08 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2004, 12:19:47 PM »

Ooh (hoo, spelled backwards) guess what I just got: Around the World in Eighty Days SE.  Can't wait!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2004, 12:24:50 PM »

The first Sunday in June, I'll be doing a show on metaphor

What's a metaphor?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2004, 12:34:26 PM »

DS (Dear Son) Jed --  I have probably asked you this before, but you know how senile I am becoming.  Is the Highway Grill still open in Ellensburg???

Sadly, no.  I grew up at the Hi-Way Grill, as we lived only one block away from it for the first few years of my life... goodness knows how many cheeseburgers and milkshakes I had there.  It closed probably around 1990.  They moved the building, which now sits off Reecer Creek Road northwest of town, and is being used as a country church now, I believe.  A Jack-in-the-Box now sits at the corner of 8th and Main in its place.

Ben

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2004, 12:38:37 PM »

From François:

"I can't listen to my favourite BBC radio programmes!"

Oh, that is awful! I just finished listening to Part 3 of the Radio 2 retrospective of Doris Day. I now could not get through the week without my BBC Radio (Insert station here) fix. Desmond Carrington, David Jacobs, Radio 4, Russell Davies, Radio Wales, Mousemat, it goes on and on. At least you got to hear the Sondheim Concert last week on Friday Night is Music Night.

Monsieur François, I promise I will respond in detail to your friendly and funny e-mail this weekend. Expect something in your mailbox by the time you return to work next week. Perhaps by then your establishment of employment will either have a new computer for you or will have fixed the old one and you can continue your aural affair with the BBC.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2004, 12:42:05 PM »

Panni, one does hope you're right about Mr. Rumsfeld and it signals the exodus of other such vile cohorts like Cheney, Ashcroft, and ultimately, W himself.  Just listening to him speak, his truculent arrogance and hubris are astounding.  My fear is he'll just re-trench firmly into his position and stay there, thumbing his nose at all reasonable and rational free-thinking people which has been de rigeur for this administration.

Panni

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2004, 12:57:09 PM »

Ooh (hoo, spelled backwards) guess what I just got: Around the World in Eighty Days SE.  Can't wait!

Lucky you!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2004, 01:09:20 PM »

I am excited about this....but strangely indifferent as well....

http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000126678885&item_id=605646
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 01:13:21 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2004, 01:09:56 PM »

That screen test with Walter Matthau doing the Tom Ewell part in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH is something to see. It certainly would have been a different movie with him in the lead rather than Ewell. Oh, well, I do like what we ended up with.

It's funny, but when people talk about Billy Wilder movies, that's one that almost never comes up despite the fact that it was a smash hit at the time and one of Monroe's iconic roles.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2004, 01:10:43 PM »

WFO - You obviously misunderstood my post yesterday.  There is nothing wrong with one new page dance every new page.  However it was getting so that the last four or five posts on a page were just for the purpose of getting to the next page, and once the next page was reached there were two or three page dances.  This was overkill pure and simple.

It was announced today that the Kristin/Patti CANDIDE will be released on CD so that if you miss it on radio tonight you can still get it.  I was not about to pay those inflated price to see it, and now that the reviews have come out I'm glad I didn't bother.  It is apparently full of bad jokes that are not in the script.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2004, 01:15:35 PM »

I finally got around to LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY today. Warners didn't find a flaw-free print, alas, and the scratches are most noticeable during Judy's "In Between" number where it's just infuriating.

I've got the film on laserdisc, too, and if I get around to it tonight, I'm going to put it in and see if those same flaws are evident at that part of the laserdisc master.

I have no idea what I'm going to put in tonight to watch.

Panni

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2004, 01:16:19 PM »

My fear is he'll just re-trench firmly into his position and stay there, thumbing his nose at all reasonable and rational free-thinking people which has been de rigeur for this administration.

If an election weren't around the corner, I'd be saying the same thing.  But that, combined with the fact that the pictures which are about to come out (not to mention the videos) are going to be horrific, might mean that Rummy's nose-thumbing days are numbered. Let us hope. (On the other hand, I'm assuming Cheney and the gang aren't going anywhere until November.)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2004, 01:21:25 PM »

It's funny, but when people talk about Billy Wilder movies, that's one that almost never comes up despite the fact that it was a smash hit at the time and one of Monroe's iconic roles.

Perhaps because it was an adaptation of a stage property (also starring Mr. Ewell), and not one of his celluloid originals.

Favorite MM moment:  "Well, maybe somebody's name is Butler"

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2004, 01:22:24 PM »

I never doubted that it was Bancroft's voice though that didn't stop other studios from dubbing actors who could actually sing (see Angela Lansbury in THE HARVEY GIRLS). We must remember that Anne Bancroft won an Emmy for her musical variety special ANNIE: THE WOMAN IN THE LIFE OF A vMAN

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2004, 01:25:30 PM »

Perhaps because it was an adaptation of a stage property (also starring Mr. Ewell), and not one of his celluloid originals.

Favorite MM moment:  "Well, maybe somebody's name is Butler"

Yet he's remembered for SABRINA and WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION, both of them stage properties before becoming films.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2004, 01:25:58 PM »

Marilyn is glorious in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, and I've always found it a validation of her star quality that when she walks into the frame in ALL ABOUT EVE, you're drawn to her despite such towering star presences all around her.

I also believe, aside from the talent(s) and writing involved, you notice MM because everyone else in that scene is in dark formal wear (save Karen's hideous lace concoction) and MM's blond tresses, creamy shoulders and white satin are, in toto, so luminescent, that she literally pops off the screen.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2004, 01:26:44 PM »

I never doubted that it was Bancroft's voice though that didn't stop other studios from dubbing actors who could actually sing (see Angela Lansbury in THE HARVEY GIRLS). We must remember that Anne Bancroft won an Emmy for her musical variety special ANNIE: THE WOMAN IN THE LIFE OF A vMAN

And that she almost played Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up