Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THEY ABIDE, AND THEY ENDURE  (Read 13268 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THEY ABIDE, AND THEY ENDURE
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »

DR John I hope your ear is feeling better today.

Darn, I have read your post and you sound worst. :( 
MEGA EAR VIBES!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2010, 08:36:02 AM »

DR JohnG, our baritone Steven LaBrie has been suffering from a bad inner ear infection as well. It must be in the air. Do you need a second opinion?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:11:54 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2010, 08:37:49 AM »

Dr Jose thank you for the vibes.  We received a late text last night saying Craig was in Sullivan Missouri.  Currently he is heading into Oklahoma.  Since he texted I don't think he was able to read our email about the weather alerts our way.  We had better call him today.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2010, 08:55:08 AM »

I have it on good authority that the lovely Miss Tina Paradiso will be joining our Merrie Troupe probably by next week.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »

Thanks everyone for your condolences.  It's going to take a while for everyone to adjust as Kathy did keep us all on our toes.  She will be greatly missed.

Onward to Wednesday which includes a trip to the SF Symphony this eve!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:55 AM »

My BK question of the day:

What movie(s) have you always wanted to see, but have never been able to locate or catch on TV.

For me it would be the 1959 film noir TOKYO AFTER DARK starring Richard Long and Michi Kobi. It was released by Paramount, so you would think it would not be so obscure...but I have never even been able to find even a grey market print of the thing!

Same with the 20th Century Fox film HIGH POWERED RIFLE starring Allison Hayes. If I am recollecting correctly this early in the morning, it is the only Allison Hayes film I have not yet seen.

There used to be quite a few, but now I can't think of any.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 09:25:47 AM »

Condolences to Matthew.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »

I'm up - took a while to fall asleep last night but I think I was asleep by twelve-thirty.  But I awoke a bunch of times during the night so not sure how much sleep I actually got.

JMK

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »

I have it on good authority that the lovely Miss Tina Paradiso will be joining our Merrie Troupe probably by next week.  :)

Yay!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2010, 09:59:56 AM »

New tenant vibes would be appreciated.  I show the old house again this morning.
You got 'em.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »

DR JohnG, our baritone Steven LaBrie has ben suffering from a bad inner ear infection as well. It must be in the air. Do you need a second opinion?
Haven't seen anyone. I actually just need a scrip for antibiotics. Your friend is now the fifth person this week I've heard with one. Here in San Antonio, they're all blamed on the allergens in the air.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »

DR John I hope your ear is feeling better today.

Darn, I have read your post and you sound worst. :( 
MEGA EAR VIBES!!!
]
Thanks. I'm taking my online class and the sound is even more like an echo chamber than usual. Very strange.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 10:03:51 AM »

I'm back from the dentist, a 30-minute event that lasted 90 minutes. I've also paid off my bill of $730.00 for the dental work of the past six weeks, so that damned check I'm expecting had better show up today!

I think now I will head down to the NYPL Theatre Collection. There's always that hope the missing BABES IN TOYLAND scrapbook will finally turn up after being lost for nine years and answer all my questions.

First, I'll make the bed. Then I'll had out. The Oaf is up and moving about. I heard his door slam.
Good news on getting the bill paid. I hope that's a sign your dental needs are over, too.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2010, 10:18:21 AM »

DR Cillaliz, re: DANCING WITH THE STARS

Count me in as one who is quite unhappy that Bristol Palin is still on the show. And it really has nothing to do with her mother.  I am mad though that people who don't watch the show are cheating and power-voting for her. I don't think that anyone who does not watch the show should be allowed to vote.

She seems nice enough. But she does not have a lot of personality or charisma.  Also, I don't really care how much someone tries. She really does not have much musicality. I almost always cheer for the person who I think is the best dancer. And even though I think that Bristol has improved. She is so far behind the others in terms of ability it's ridiculous.

It will be a joke if she wins.  Because it does seem like a lot of her votes are not even for her, but from her mother's supporters. Plus some are voting for her based on "vote for the worst" or just cause they think it would be funny if she won (since she is the worst dancer).

I don't mind people voting for her if they actually like that she is a non-perfomer who tackled something very difficult. But to vote for her for the win? I will definitely be voting for Jennifer and Derek. Although I would not be totally unhappy if Kyle won. He's really improved. And he's actually quite good. Especially for someone who doesn't have the body type of a dancer.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2010, 10:20:03 AM »

The Oaf was one noisy cuss around 1:30 this morning so I guess he means to go out with a bang: lots of walking about, primarily, and little in the way of crashes and thumps. I will be extremely happy when he's out of the building.

Whaddayawannabet a tap dancer moves in?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »

Well, apparently trying to purchase tickets for Jews and Baseball is an ordeal that is quite annoying - whether I go or not is dependent on getting a call back from Laemmle Theaters.  I was given a link to their site, I chose the film and showing and theater, and I entered a cc number.  Then I received an "error" message that either the cc info was incorrect or the card was declined - since the latter would not have been possible, I tried again, being very careful - again the error message.  Then I looked at the zip code I'd put in and changed that to my home zip code instead of the mail place, and tried again - again the error message.  So, I called the bank to see what was up - what was up was that a charge from Laemmle Theaters had come through and that my balance already reflected that money being taken from my account.

Of course, they have my money and I have an error message and no tickets.  So, I called Laemmle, got a fellow from customer service on the phone - he explained to me that the charge is "pending" and could fall off by midnight if declined.  I explained to him that my balance is now twenty-four dollars less and that the error message was a little stupid since a CHARGE HAD GONE THROUGH - in other words, I entered no invalid information and there was obviously money from which to deduct the pending charge.  After all that, he told me he couldn't help me - the man who could help me was, of course, away from his desk.  I left that person a voice mail and, of course, have had no returned phone call yet.  If I don't within the next thirty minutes, then I shall call back and, I suppose, speak a little more vociferously.

If it doesn't get worked out, then I'm afraid that I cannot go to the Music Hall on Friday night because I will not give my business to incompetent people.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »

Count me in as one who is quite unhappy that Bristol Palin is still on the show. And it really has nothing to do with her mother.  I am mad though that people who don't watch the show are cheating and power-voting for her. I don't think that anyone who does not watch the show should be allowed to vote.

She seems nice enough. But she does not have a lot of personality or charisma.  Also, I don't really care how much someone tries. She really does not have much musicality. I almost always cheer for the person who I think is the best dancer. And even though I think that Bristol has improved. She is so far behind the others in terms of ability it's ridiculous.

It will be a joke if she wins.  Because it does seem like a lot of her votes are not even for her, but from her mother's supporters. Plus some are voting for her based on "vote for the worst" or just cause they think it would be funny if she won (since she is the worst dancer).

I don't mind people voting for her if they actually like that she is a non-perfomer who tackled something very difficult. But to vote for her for the win? I will definitely be voting for Jennifer and Derek. Although I would not be totally unhappy if Kyle won. He's really improved. And he's actually quite good. Especially for someone who doesn't have the body type of a dancer.

OTOH, DR Jennifer....this show is no better than the foolishness that is called "American Idol".  Far too many dolts with limited talent have walked off with the big prize, only to never be heard from again.

Bristol is a classic underdog.  You "do" feel sorry for her constantly being at the bottom...but you also know there's a point where she's going to start feeling awful for being proppped up for political reasons, rather than her abilities to dance.

That Bristol is there when her betters have fallen away is a travesty.

However, whenever the American public is left with the "decision" to vote for a favorite, the worst usually happens.  This is why the U.S. version of "Big Brother" does not allow the public to vote.  In the first season, the houseguests clung to one another as the votes, cast by the public, were revealed.  The show died in the ratings because anyone remotely in "conflict" with others was voted out.

Around the rest of the world, the public votes for who stays and who goes...and generally keeps the nasty pieces of work in the house and sends the good guys packing.  Europeans, especially, seem to embrace nihilism.

I think nihilism is fast becoming a part of the American way when I see the results of DWTS.  Bristol Palin is pitiful as a dancer...clunky, often graceless.  Oh, yes, she's determined, works hard, and has a few moments.  By and large, though, she lacks any personal sense of rhythm and I'm often reminded of a sack of potatoes being flung around, rather than a celebrity dancer.

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:46:34 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »

BK, I love NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, and have loved it since I first saw it around 1977 or so, when I was in Jr. High School.

Robert Mitchum in that film reminded me very much of my step-father (making it very easy for anyone to understand why I moved from my mom's house to my dad's house!)

I think that Mitchum is terrific in THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, but I think he's even better in CAPE FEAR and, his finest performance, THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »

Just spoke to the guy from the Laemmle, who sees that the charge went through and is surprised I got an error screen instead of the confirmation screen with bar codes and a receipt.  He suspects the pending charge will not complete at midnight, but won't know that until tomorrow.  But to save any problems, he's actually just put me on a comp list at the theater - that way I'll be sure to get in no matter what happens.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »

I'm baaaaaaack! I spoke to my landlord: the Oaf is leaving but there was no eviction so I can get over my anxiety that I caused his departure.

On a sadder note, the Men's Chorus put together a tribute on youtube for my late friend Fred. You can hear him sing solos poorly at Chorus events and see lots of photos of NYCGMC gatherings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHomq4qJZtg&feature=share
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2010, 11:20:50 AM »

Jennifer, I completely understand how you feel.  I don't think she should win either (I'm also for Jennifer and Derek) , but, it is what it is... and the show is not a real talent competition, if it was the judges would decide it all.

As for the show, they said they had the most votes ever on Monday night.  I'd be curious to know what they had for ratings.  The producers can't be too upset that this controversy is bringing this much attention to the show.  Even it the voters aren't watching, they are going to the website or calling in to vote.  That can't hurt in attracting new sponsors and getting more $$ for the ad time.

JMK

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »

Elmore you MUST take a picture of the oaf before he leaves.  I have been most curious as to what he looks like.  (Clown feet?).  :)

JMK

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »

Prospective tenant wants the house, maybe even on a lease to own.  But I have a sneaking suspicion she and her husband have credit issues.  We shall see.

JMK

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »

Cilla, do you recommend any background check sites?  The one I used for my current tenants charged me an arm and a leg and ended up not providing me with much info.  I want to know if they've ever been convicted of a crime and/or declared bankruptcy.

Laura

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »

I have another butterfly this morning. The next-to-last one should emerge today as well.

I had at least three caterpillars escape. Hopefully they formed chrysalises somewhere in the yard and will emerge on their own safely.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 12:28:56 PM »

Oops, sorry - I forgot to log out when I left for CR.  Rather than sitting here like so much fish for the last couple of hours, I've done 20 minutes at 3 mph and a 1% incline on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the recumbent stepper (which reminds me of my family's old player piano), upper body exercises with 3 lb. handweights, and 3 laps around the walking track.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »

Vibes for DR MATTHEW on the loss of his friend.

Ditto :'(

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up