Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WELCOME 2011!  (Read 15723 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: WELCOME 2011!
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »

:D :D :D

Ginny

« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »

Hey Ginny, I thought that Michigan and Michigan State were supposed to play football today?   ;D ;D

Yeah, DR TCB, that was the plan...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »

From Cilla:
We had a great white elephant gift exchange.  Some really funny stuff. And lots and lots of food.  I'm so glad I went.  I had a great time.  and to be able to come home and still join you for the west coast new year....a very good night indeed.

I'm glad you had a good time and the weather didn't keep you home.  Even though you were up to greet my New Year I was asleep.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2011, 02:44:14 PM »

In other news...

One of the reasons I was hoping to get back up here to NYC a little earlier this week - as well as one of the reasons I decided to stay down in Richmond for an extra day or two - is that I'll be sailing on the Queen Mary 2 next week. A friend of mine was hired to play for a "voice camp at sea". Alas, due to some scheduling snafus, he handed the gig off to me.

There will be eight students on board. I will be accompanying the lessons, as well as running my own repertoire coachings.  Most of the students have selected some musical theatre repertoire, but they're also singing some classical selections, art songs and arias.  The musical theatre stuff, I'm not too worried about, however, I was hoping to have a bit more lead time to brush up on my Italian, German and French diction and translations. Thankfully, most of the students had sent me their repertoire lists, and I was able to track down most of the rep either in my own iTunes library and via YouTube just to get them back in my ear.  I'll spend a couple of hours tomorrow going back through my song literature text books and CD liner notes.

Alas, there was a report of a small outbreak of the novovirus on the current sailing of the QM2 - which, from all of the literature I've been reading, seems to be a "common occurrence" during the winter months. When I started to feel a bit iffy last week, I didn't want to risk possible getting "iffier" due to an overnight ride on a crowded bus. I do not want to spend the first two days of the cruise in quarantine.

We set sail from the Port of Brooklyn(!) on Monday afternoon. We'll be at sea for the first three days, and then there will be four ports of call in the Caribbean, and then two days at sea for the trip back to NYC.  I'll be working about six hours a day - four hours of coachings in the morning, then two hours of masterclasses in the evening. The schedule applies even to port days, but at least there's a good six hour window to leave the ship and do some exploring - or, at the very least, find the nearest Starbucks to take advantage of the free WiFi.  -The WiFi on the ship - at $.75/minute(!), alas, is not part of my compensation - which, is basically my own state room and meals.

The voice teacher will be presenting a small recital during the cruise, and, on the final night of the cruise, the students will also present one. -Which is essentially how the voice teacher is "paying" for the cruise.

When we arrive back in NYC, all Three Queens - the Queen Mary 2, the Queen Victoria and the Queen Elizabeth - will be in New York Harbor.  There's supposed to be fireworks. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »

Needless to say, I was very happy to finally put away the A/C window units earlier today. I had actually taken them out of the windows back in October, but they still needed to be cleaned off, have their filters cleaned and stored back under the stairs. Done, Done and Done!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »

In other news...

One of the reasons I was hoping to get back up here to NYC a little earlier this week - as well as one of the reasons I decided to stay down in Richmond for an extra day or two - is that I'll be sailing on the Queen Mary 2 next week. A friend of mine was hired to play for a "voice camp at sea". Alas, due to some scheduling snafus, he handed the gig off to me.

There will be eight students on board. I will be accompanying the lessons, as well as running my own repertoire coachings.  Most of the students have selected some musical theatre repertoire, but they're also singing some classical selections, art songs and arias.  The musical theatre stuff, I'm not too worried about, however, I was hoping to have a bit more lead time to brush up on my Italian, German and French diction and translations. Thankfully, most of the students had sent me their repertoire lists, and I was able to track down most of the rep either in my own iTunes library and via YouTube just to get them back in my ear.  I'll spend a couple of hours tomorrow going back through my song literature text books and CD liner notes.

Alas, there was a report of a small outbreak of the novovirus on the current sailing of the QM2 - which, from all of the literature I've been reading, seems to be a "common occurrence" during the winter months. When I started to feel a bit iffy last week, I didn't want to risk possible getting "iffier" due to an overnight ride on a crowded bus. I do not want to spend the first two days of the cruise in quarantine.

We set sail from the Port of Brooklyn(!) on Monday afternoon. We'll be at sea for the first three days, and then there will be four ports of call in the Caribbean, and then two days at sea for the trip back to NYC.  I'll be working about six hours a day - four hours of coachings in the morning, then two hours of masterclasses in the evening. The schedule applies even to port days, but at least there's a good six hour window to leave the ship and do some exploring - or, at the very least, find the nearest Starbucks to take advantage of the free WiFi.  -The WiFi on the ship - at $.75/minute(!), alas, is not part of my compensation - which, is basically my own state room and meals.

The voice teacher will be presenting a small recital during the cruise, and, on the final night of the cruise, the students will also present one. -Which is essentially how the voice teacher is "paying" for the cruise.

When we arrive back in NYC, all Three Queens - the Queen Mary 2, the Queen Victoria and the Queen Elizabeth - will be in New York Harbor.  There's supposed to be fireworks. :)

Congrats on the gig!!  What an opportunity.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »

There's something so hilariously wrong about this:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/12/fiddler_on_the_roof_you_got_se.html

As a "veteran" of a stint of three(!) back-to-back productions of Fiddler on the Roof... ;D ;D :D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »

DR Jose - I am so happy for you!  Do you need a page-turner?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »

Thank You, DR Matthew - To quote Little Red Riding Hood, "Well, excited and scared.."
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »

DR Jose - I am so happy for you!  Do you need a page-turner?

Get in line, DR Ginny. Get in line. ;)

-And, Thank You.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:58:58 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2011, 02:58:56 PM »

I just amazed myself.  I clicked on "Calendar" and got an error message saying Invalid something or other.  Instead of panic, I went into the admin panel, found the button for calendar and saw that for some weird reason the calendar had started in 2004 but had a maximum date of 2010.  I changed that to 2015, clicked save settings, and voila - calendar is back.  Go me.

Good for you. It must have been that one sip of champagne that kept you calm. ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »

bk - What kind of champagne did you sip last night? Was it from a full bottle? or a split? Cork-top? Screw top? Or Canned? -Which, sadly, does exist.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »

I think we all stayed up late and are tired.

Not having stayed up late I should be rested, however I woke up at 2:00am and couldn't get back to sleep for several hours.

I thought about all that didn't go well in 2010 I hope will change for the better in 2011.  Mostly I want Craig to get a job that makes him happy and meet a nice gal who is also embraces a vegan lifestyle.  Second I want my shoulder to stop hurting & to be in better shape.

Then I thought of all the good in my life.  I am lucky that I like my children and think they make the world a better place.  I'm lucky after all these years Keith and I are still happy with each other.   To express his love for me he joined Sherlock and me on our hike.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »

DRs Laura & Sandra - I'm also wondering if placing the pies in the cake pans upside down would help the cake batter cook more evenly?  That "arrangement" just seems a bit more ergonomic.

And, yes, frosting covers a multitude of sins.  It functions just like gravy and Thanksgiving dinner.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »

How exciting, Jose! We want photos!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2011, 03:07:27 PM »

How exciting, Jose! We want photos!

Trust me, DR Laura, there will be photos! -Even it's just the carpets on each deck of the ship! ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »

We used 10-inch pans instead of 8-inch pans. Do you think that made a difference?

It turned out, though. It was impressively tall.

Laura

« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2011, 03:08:35 PM »

And heavy.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »

Jane

« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »

TOD - what we're most anticipating for 2011 is the addition of a lovely daughter-in-law to our family.

You are very, very lucky!!!!

Jane

« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »

This morning she feels much better

:)

Jane

« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »

When I came home last night all three cats were sitting by the door waiting for me and when I woke this morning Ricky was curled up by my shoulder and Boo was curled up by my feet.  The three of them are getting along and I think Ricky has added a lot to the mix.  Now I just hope that whatever the bump is on Callie's lip is, it isn't serious.  

Continued vibes for Callie's lip!!!!

Jane

« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »

We will be going to Staples to see if they have covers for e-readers. I'm surprised it's so difficult to get one. The official Sony cover for my specific e-reader is sold out at Best Buy and at many places on line. They are also far too expensive. I just want a cover since it is a piece of electronic equipment. I want to protect it from bumps and scratches. I will also look for those protective sheet covers (it's a touch screen). Anthony will also look for a case for his walkman.

That's our day. It's supposed to be around 50 degrees today. More and more snow is melting. By Monday when I return to work we will have a mess of slush but that's winter and I can live with it.

We got a nice cover for our Nook and now it looks like a book.  It is funny to see a plug in a book when it needs charging.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »

We used 10-inch pans instead of 8-inch pans. Do you think that made a difference?

It turned out, though. It was impressively tall.

I dunno. Maybe the pies were too tall? ::)

Maybe we need to ask Christopher Kimball to run the Cherpumple through the "Cook's Illustrated" treatment. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »

The teams from Michigan are not doing well in their respective bowl games...

Craig turned the U of M game off.  He never turned the State game on.

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »

TOD - what we're most anticipating for 2011 is the addition of a lovely daughter-in-law to our family.

You are very, very lucky!!!!

Yes, we are, DR Jane.  She and I have watched bowl games all day today while our guys have tolerated the fact that we're monopolizing the TV and the family room.  Of course, the other 364 days of the year, we both sit through a lot of TV programs, DVDs, and movies in theaters that we wouldn't choose to see on our own.  But, overall, we both have a lot in common with our significant others and that makes all the difference.

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »

DR Jose, what a fun gig!  Congrats and smooth sailing vibes~~~~~~~~

Jane

« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

Wow, a pair!!!!

Jane

« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »

T.O.D.

I suppose I should say health, but I will be honest and say wealth.

You deserve both, DR TCB!

I agree.

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »

I spent a nice afternoon finishing my first book on my nook in the new den (no I haven't done any more work on it).  Callie was on top of one recliner with Boo on the seat.  I was in the other and Ricky spent part of the time on the cat perch and part of the time in my lap.  I know it's corny, but it felt like a real family.  And that room must be at leat 10 degrees warmer than the spot where my recliner is in the living room.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:24:06 PM by Cillaliz »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up