Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BROWNIES  (Read 11641 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: BROWNIES
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 07:25:56 AM »

DR ElMORE  -   Ms Grayson is on the way to your house.  BE-WARE!
Would that be Katherine Grayson or Grayson Hall. Either would be scary.

That is the truth.....but it is the latter.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:41 AM »

Page Two Grayson Hall Dance

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 07:28:12 AM »

I think she's making curtains or recovering her couch with that.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »

Continued recovery vibes to DR John G's Mom!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 07:36:05 AM »

Still snowing in Personhattan

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »

* * * * *  VIBES FOR DR JOHN G's MOM  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:15 AM »

* * * * *  VIBES FOR JOSHIE  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 07:58:49 AM »

I think she's making curtains or recovering her couch with that.

Or a cocoon.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 08:04:25 AM »

I seldom watch DVD extras on new films, but if a classic has a retrospective documentary with interviews from the original participants, I'll watch it.

On new movies, I'll watch outtakes and alternate endings, if there are any.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »

I feel like such a putz this morning.

Last night, I went to our annual HOA meeting to express my concern on a couple of issues.

I wound up being elected to the Board.

:-\

:'(

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 08:08:24 AM »

BK,

You never answered my question from yesterday...or, if you did, I missed it.

How did you feel about the alternate ending for BROADCAST NEWS?

John G.

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »

Last night, I went to our annual HOA meeting to express my concern on a couple of issues.

That's happened to several friends of mine. That's why I never go near those things.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 08:12:48 AM »

We're seeing Debbie Gravitte in a Divas concert (she's performing with Christiane Noll and Jan Horvath) at NJPAC in February; really looking forward to it.

FJL

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 08:16:36 AM »

Vibes to John G's family

John G.

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »

We're seeing Debbie Gravitte in a Divas concert (she's performing with Christiane Noll and Jan Horvath) at NJPAC in February; really looking forward to it.
That sounds like fun. I saw about 14 years ago in Sarasota in concert with Michael Maguire, who won a Tony for Les Miz and hasn't really done much since, has he? Still, they were good and the evening was fun, though it was more of a cabaret act in a theater that seated 1,100 or so.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »

Glad the reading went nicely, DR Michael S!

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »

Re: DVD extras

For oldies I like to see the trailer and (usually) enjoy a commentary if the participant is truly knowledgeable and/or the original cast/crew are involved.

For newer movies commentary can sometimes be nice. It just depends on the film. For instance a commentary on an obscure independently made film would be much more interesting to me then a commentary on a blockbuster freaturing A list stars.

Outakes would be welcome on oldies or new films...those are always fun.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »

I never got into Broadcast News....the same clip that they kept showing OVER AND OVER didn't make me want to see it.  Of course since it has gotten high recommendations here on HHW, perhaps I will give it a look.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »

Bollywood movies rarely have any interesting extras, sadly. New films will usually throw in a "making of" extra which is generally the director and the stars talking about how this was the best movie they have ever made and how the role was challenging and yada yada yada...same thing everytime.

One suprise was an extra that was with a 1950s Bollywood film DVD. The film was about an English woman who falls in love with an Indian man. The extra was a recent on camera interview with the English actress (she had only made a handful of films, so she was not at all well known). It was a fascinating look at making an Indian film from her perspective.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 08:34:42 AM »

JohnG, glad that your mom is taking her pills!

Laura

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »

LOL! That's how I got put in charge of the Christmas pageant costumes for next year!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »

Ok. Good enough news for now. A steroid shot and a recheck in a month to see if it helps.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »

My questions for ask BK Day.

How much do you rely on audience response of your stage work when it tweeking and shaping it?

First off, congrats on the reading.  If something is really obviously not landing with an audience I usually know that instantly and change it as quickly as I can.  If I feel it's an actor problem and that something isn't being delivered correctly, I'll wait until I hear it done the way I want - if it still doesn't land, I change it.  I talk about this stuff a lot in the book.  I am rarely stubborn about anything, but sometimes I just feel that something can work if I tinker with staging and delivery and sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong.  But if audiences are clearly not getting something or clearly restless I can usually see why and fix or attempt to fix.

I talk about the very first public staged reading of The Brain, where the Kritzerland designer came up to me and said it was the most perfect reading he'd ever seen and to not change a thing.  I just looked at him, thanked him, and said "Are you insane?"  Because after two performances I knew that one character had to undergo a complete metamorphosis, another character had to have major adjustments, and another character was playing the same joke in every single scene.  All that stuff changed instantly.  One song was clearly horrible (the original Donna and Rod song was a duet and very 50s and blechhh).  Days before we actually did the reading I knew that Zubrick didn't have the right song and David Wechter and I just looked at the character and figured out what it needed to be about, and then I wrote All About Men in about twelve minutes, in it went, and it killed from the beginning. 

So, I'm actually willing to do whatever needs to be done.  That said, audiences can be deceiving.  For What If, we had amazing audience reaction at almost every performance, but there were some where the audience just sat there - well, that happens and you can't go rewrite your show because some audience had a bad day or a bad dinner or was drunk.  That happens at every B'way show, including the biggest hits.  In the end, though, it's your show and you have to be true to your intentions while trying to make it appeal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 08:53:23 AM »

I really wanted to sleep until nine, but the tape transfer guy called at eight-fifteen to make sure I was here so he could bring stuff by.  So, I'm up.

FJL

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »

John G - I saw that Michael Maguire had been to law school in recent years.

Graduated in 2008 from Southwestern law School, per wikipedia

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:59:14 AM by FJL »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

To pontificate further - I've seen the creators of shows be incredibly stubborn about changes to the detriment of their show.  That happened most recently with Leap of Faith.  If everyone, and I mean everyone is telling you something doesn't work, change it - it's really simple - IT DOESN'T WORK.  In Leap of Faith the director/choreographer had a concept of Agnes de Mille-like segues between scenes and an opening that was the same.  Everyone hated it.  Everyone.  He would not change it.  If David Merrick were his producer he would have changed it or he would have been replaced.

Other shows the same story.  The stubbornness is shocking.  And you cannot be lulled into a false sense of greatness by friends who see the reading - they just want to be positive and supportive and that's the single most harmful thing that happens at these readings.  The necessary changes aren't made because people are hooting and hollering.  I remember seeing the second reading of Wicked, some of which I liked and some of which I didn't.  When I saw Stephen Schwartz after I accentuated the positive and he said "I'm thrilled you liked it, but I want to know what you didn't like.  Send me notes." Which I did. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2011, 09:04:48 AM »

I never got into Broadcast News....the same clip that they kept showing OVER AND OVER didn't make me want to see it.  Of course since it has gotten high recommendations here on HHW, perhaps I will give it a look.

I was going to actually mention that the other day.  It seemed to me that they didn't know how to push the movie when it first came out and before it became a hit so that clip of Joan Cusack running through the news studio was all that was initially played on the talk shows.  It made the movie look like it was directed by Zemeckis.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 09:06:55 AM »

Ok. Good enough news for now. A steroid shot and a recheck in a month to see if it helps.

Yay for Joshie!

Yay for you, too!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »

Yup.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2011, 09:08:11 AM »

I have been having SO much fun using the "Books" filter on Google to find old magazine articles about various folks.  I finally know three of the four people who were in the short-lived 1968 band THE COLLAGE.  Even arranger Perry Botkin, Jr. couldn't remember that when I emailed him about the album a few years ago.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up