Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BEATING A HASTY RETREAT  (Read 9526 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:36:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes beat a hasty retreat, and now it is time for you to post until the hasty cows come home from the retreat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:37:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: CACOETHES!

Laura

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:03:32 AM »

Why would anyone wake up at 4:30 on a Saturday morning?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 05:06:37 AM »

Good morning, all! I am up early to be at the laundromat when it opens in 30 minutes, I can finish the laundry, mop the bathroom and kitchen and tidy the apartment by 10am. Then, I've got to wrap Bruce Pomahac's Christmas present and meet him for lunch at 1pm on the East Side, before we see THE ROAD TO QATAR by Stephen Cole and David Krane, two most excellent gentlemen.

Last night was another dead relatives night: my mother, her sister Jean and Jean's husband Harold, along with my brother Randy, were in this strange dream about God knows what at this point. I do remember that I was looking for clothes in the closet of my bedroom of the house where I grew up, and the closet went on for miles.

After today's matinee I shall head back here to see what fresh hell arrives in the post, maybe tally some taxes - Thursday is accounting day - and watch something.

TOD:  there sure is a lot of 20th Century Music, from Puccini, Strauss and Mahler finishing up the 19th Century romantics to John Cage and John Adams.

And I would choose, for this board, Ravel's piano concerto in G; there's a great debt to popular American popular music, from Sousa's band to Gershwin, because of European tours and recordings; there are "blue" notes, brassy riffs, and one of the most beautful slow movements ever written. I also choose it because Ravel's harmonic idiom may be one of the strongest influences on Steve Sondheim's writing, and because the concerto is ravishingly beautiful and hilariously cheeky.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 05:13:44 AM »

Enjoyed the dancing clip from DRMBARNUM yesterday.....I think the girl in the 4th couple FELL DOWN!  But she recovered....no retakes....it was a Sam Katzman-Clover Production, after all.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:14:27 AM »

Lovely photos from DR GINNY, too.

And A Cowboy Breakfast...whew!

And DR JOSE and a vioinist-airplane pilot.

We didn't get those photos.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 05:15:57 AM »

Today is of course a workday....oh well.

And my friend Vickie asked me if I want her collection of Playbills going back to the 70's - I said yes!  Why not?  They will all fit in one container, and I will throw them out before I go to the EBAY in the sky.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 05:16:38 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ - I recommend BOTH Black Swan AND The King's Speech (except for the Winston Churchill actor).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 05:18:30 AM »

TOD:

Well.....two of them.....

Ravel's Bolero
Orff's Carmina Burana

But there are MANY......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 05:28:14 AM »

I received both documents I need to complete my taxes for 2010 - so perhaps I will do that this evening.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 05:28:24 AM »

Off to work.....oh well.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 05:33:50 AM »

Hitting the "Hitting The Road To Dreamland"

Well actually the Florida Turnpike to Orlando.

FYI The Florida Turnpike is actually the Ronald Regan Highway. They name it after his presidency. As my friend said "The name it after him, but he'll keep on forgetting that they did it"  He did like him.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 05:41:34 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it was one of those nights were I didn't feel like I got all that much sleep. However, I wasn't restless, and, thankfully, at least for right now, I do feel rested.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 05:49:05 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 05:50:18 AM »

I have to leave shortly to judge a wine competition this morning. This usually lasts most of the day and I feel exhausted by the time I've tasted (not drunk) anywhere from 80 to 140 wines. It really is work. Fun, but work.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

My sentimental pick would be Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915" - but I guess that would be more an American choice.

Otherwise...

"Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" by Kristof Penderecki - I still remember the first time I heard this piece. It was in my sophomore music theory/history class. It immediately haunted me then, and any time I hear the word "threnody", I automatically think of this piece.

"Verklärte Nacht" by Arnold Schoenberg - Although since it was composed in 1899... Hmmm...

"The Rite of Spring" and "The Firebird" by Igor Stravinsky - Both scores are at times primal, barbaric, ecstatic and beautiful.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 05:55:17 AM »

DR Michael S - Have a great time in Disneyworld! -And a safe trip too.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 05:56:05 AM »

TOD: If I didn't know the person, I might play it safe with Bernstein, Gershwin or Copeland. But I think I'd probably go with Samuel Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915."
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 05:56:59 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

My sentimental pick would be Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915" - but I guess that would be more an American choice.

Otherwise...

"Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" by Kristof Penderecki - I still remember the first time I heard this piece. It was in my sophomore music theory/history class. It immediately haunted me then, and any time I hear the word "threnody", I automatically think of this piece.

"Verklärte Nacht" by Arnold Schoenberg - Although since it was composed in 1899... Hmmm...

"The Rite of Spring" and "The Firebird" by Igor Stravinsky - Both scores are at times primal, barbaric, ecstatic and beautiful.
Just read this after finishing my post. The Schoenberg also crossed my mind. Didn't know when it was written.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 05:57:16 AM »

And now I need to get ready for my day. There are a couple of things I have to attend to today, one of which is a recording session for a friend of mine. He's entering a vocal competition, and he's asked me to assist him with his audition video. I have a feeling it's going to be one of those "We got it on the first take" days. I hope.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 05:57:42 AM »

"Einstein on the Beach" and "Nixon in China" are another couple of possibilities.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 06:03:37 AM »

"Einstein on the Beach" and "Nixon in China" are another couple of possibilities.

And the Met's 'new' production of Nixon in China debuts next week. I saw the original production at the Kennedy Center back in 1987(!) - which starred the current star, James Maddalena, as Nixon(!!) - and I'm really looking forward to this production. -It's "borrowed" from the English National Opera. However, it's being led by most of the original artistic team with the composer himself wielding the baton this time. I've seen some of the production stills and will be going to the dress rehearsal on Monday, and I hope I do see some "new" things on stage.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 06:28:06 AM »

The laundry is in the dryers and I'm listening to Ravel; "Bolero" has just begun playing. "Le Tombeau de Couperin" just finished.

I guess it's time to drag out the vacuum cleaner and sweep the floors  before mopping.

DR Laura, you are the Madame Curie of HHW. What wil your next experiment be? Feline telepathy? ;)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 07:26:37 AM »

No posts in nearly an hour? Where is everyone?

The laundry is finished and put away. I've got to finish tidying, put away the vacuum, and wrap this gift before I can consider the housekeeping done for today.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:50:21 AM by elmore3003 »

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Richard and I have a date for a matinee showing of THE KING'S SPEECH today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 08:00:08 AM »

Morning all.

I know how you feel DR Laura.  I was up most of the night in spite of going to bed early.

I have twin problem with my sleep apnea.  Lately, if I don't use the humidifier, I've been waking up with a totally dry mouth/throat.  I can't even swallow. 

If I use the humidifier, my head gets to full of moisture and I have the Mother of all sinus headaches.  Not to mention my nose stuffs up and I can't use the machine. 

I had to sleep without it last night night so I kept having horrible dreams where I was drowning. It's funny because even in the dream I know it's because I'm not breathing but I can't wake myself up.  When I finely managed pull myself back to the real world,  I got up and sat in the living room from about 2 AM to around 5AM.  I turned the humidifier off and did finely fall asleep but now my head is completely stuffed. 

I guess I'm just going to have to get used to waking up with a dry mouth but I've read that isn't good for you.

I am so tired and I feel like a major grump right now.

I have a 1:30 appointment to go to H & R Block to get Ye Old Taxes taken care of.  I'm hoping that I will get a nice refund so I can get new tires for Bonny and pay off some of the smaller bills.  And maybe get a nice thing or two for me!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Laura

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »

DR Laura, you are the Madame Curie of HHW. What wil your next experiment be? Feline telepathy? ;)

Well, we already know that Joshie reads my mind when I need to take him to the vet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »

I'm up and awaiting the arrival of she of the Evil Eye.

Laura

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 09:08:22 AM »

I am waiting for four other people to arrive for a meeting. They have eight minutes.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:10:29 AM by Laura »

Laura

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 09:15:27 AM »

They have one minute.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up