Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: A LITTLE MONTH I LIKE TO CALL FEBRUARY  (Read 29823 times)

Laura

Re: A LITTLE MONTH I LIKE TO CALL FEBRUARY
« Reply #240 on: February 01, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »

It is windy and cold here. Not as windy and cold as where you all are, but windy and cold for us.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #241 on: February 01, 2011, 08:46:51 PM »

This is not directed at anyone on this site, but I know so many vegetarians that it seems like all the foods they eat seem to be in the shape of meat.  Vegetarian sausages, vegetarian hot dogs, tofurkey.  Why don't they just eat vegetables as vegetables.

I've actually wondered about that from time to time too. There are some really nice vegetarian restaurants here in NYC, however, I do find it a bit strange when the featured dishes are "mock" versions of beef, chicken and pork. -Especially when some of the restaurants list their ethical(?) reasons for being vegetarian. I'd rather have a dish called "grilled mushroom-and-nut patty" rather than "tastes like beef".
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #242 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »

Re:  vegetarians and "fake" meat.  Soy products are not vegetables.  They are legumes, they replace the protein part of your diet.  When you eat meat, the bulk of the protein you are ingesting is actually second hand, from the legumes and other proteins the cattle or whatever has consumed.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #243 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »

And if you think Tofurkey is in the shape of a turkey, you haven't seen Tofurkey.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #244 on: February 01, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »

Brussels sprouts have a completely different texture and taste when roasted with olive oil, TCB.

Of course, my favorite way to prepare Brussels sprouts is to peel off a good number or leaves, douse them in olive oil, and then roast them until crispy... Then finish them off with a good dash of salt... And browned butter... And bacon fat.  ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #245 on: February 01, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »

Am on hold for the next half hour or more with Southwest, trying to find out if I can cancel my trip. It went from 78 degrees during the day to 37 degrees overnight here. I can imagine what it's like up where I'm supposed to be going.  

Cancel your trip?  Aren't you required to go?

I also thought it was required.
It was required, but the airline wouldn't be able to get me there until late Friday, leaving only one day of the residency. The school is now doing what it should have done from the beginning: They are trying to figure out a way I can hear a few of the symposiums via Skype.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #246 on: February 01, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »

Brussels sprouts have a completely different texture and taste when roasted with olive oil, TCB.

Of course, my favorite way to prepare Brussels sprouts is to peel off a good number or leaves, douse them in olive oil, and then roast them until crispy... Then finish them off with a good dash of salt... And browned butter... And bacon fat.  ::)
You may come cook for me.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #247 on: February 01, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »

I think the Sinatra film I'm think of is IT HAPPENED IN BROOKLYN.

John G.

« Reply #248 on: February 01, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

And if you think Tofurkey is in the shape of a turkey, you haven't seen Tofurkey.  :)
The last time I saw Tofurkey it was in the shape of the bottom of my garbage can.
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #249 on: February 01, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »

The last time I saw Tofurkey it was in the shape of the bottom of my garbage can.

You obviously haven't had it cooked by DW Wife Betsy.  ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2011, 09:02:32 PM »

That's actually a riff on a Martha Stewart recipe. She - or at least one of her assistants - shreds them first before cooking. -That's just too much effort and too many opportunities for skinned knuckles and shaved finger nails. ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:05:56 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »

That's actually a riff on a Martha Stewart recipe. She - or at least one of her assistants - shreds them first before cooking. -That's just too much effort and too many opportunities for skinned knuckles and shaved finger nails. ;)
Martha Stewart may not come cook for me.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »

You obviously haven't had it cooked by DW Wife Betsy.  ;)
I belong in the category of those who don't understand why so much vegetarian food is made to taste like meat. I love vegetables and I eat plenty of them, often without meat. Except I do think pork is a vegetable. It's a food group at least.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2011, 09:10:19 PM »

Martha Stewart may not come cook for me.

I want Martha Stewart's assistant TV Chef, Thomas Joseph to come cook for me...

Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »

. . .and I recommend any meat eater check out this documentary:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082020/

Or watch Oprah as she discusses animal husbandry in the modern mass food age as she's doing her "vegan week."

John G.

« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »

Night, all. Stay warm.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »

Well...

Since I have to spend a good chunk of tomorrow getting ready for my trip to Memphis... And since I also have a bunch other stuff to take care of tomorrow...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »

Good evening!  I was really worried not long ago about the lack of entries for our local film festival.  Tonight I am sorting them for the meeting tomorrow. We ended up with 8 grad student and 17 local films.  They are all shorts, some very short, but this should be enough to put together a nice showing for the public.  It's actually a total of 2:37:14 plus a 17 min over time limit film.  I haven't watched them as I had planned, but I'm judging so I'll see them when they are complied on a couple disks. Much easier to view that way.

Cillaliz

« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »

Hi, I'm Cillaliz. I am an omnivore and proud of it ;) .

Cillaliz

« Reply #259 on: February 01, 2011, 10:00:02 PM »

Well, that's enough to scare people away...

Cillaliz

« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »

Time to get some sleep.  Must shovel out and get to work by 8:30.   The schools are 2 hours late because of the wind chills, but I still need to get to court by 9:00

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »

Rehearsal was fun, then I ran to get the book Xeroxed, and then I went to Shelly Markham's birthday dinner at the Daily Grill and now I am home and totally zonked.

FJL

« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:09 PM »

I had an exhilaratingly argument-filled day.

FJL

« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »

Too much net, so time to sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2011, 11:43:24 PM »

Yes, your argument-filled day is there for all to see :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up