Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TRAVELIN' MAN  (Read 9805 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: TRAVELIN' MAN
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »

Oh... Maybe I shouldn't have started watching that video again... I'm getting a little verklempt....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 07:28:22 AM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:31:17 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 07:29:23 AM »

And speaking of travelin'...

I have a bit of travelin' to do right now myself. Well, I have to hop on the subway to run some errands.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:55 AM »

I also like "I Say It's Spinach and the Hell With It."

And most anything from Annie Get Your Gun. Especially "I Got the Sun in the Morning and the Moon at Night."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:57:13 AM by Laura »
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 08:24:47 AM »

I'm up and very tiiiiiired.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »

Berlin faves:

Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep

Puttin' on the Ritz

There's No Business Like Show Business

Blue Skies

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »

It Only Happens When I Dance With You!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 08:40:01 AM »

Time to run! I am off to the Frank Loesser office and then to NYPL. I forgot to mention that as of last night I am officially hired as "Score Consultant" for the Encores! production of WHERE'S CHARLEY?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2011, 08:42:07 AM »

I'm up and very tiiiiiired.

Me, too.

I felt super about 40 minutes ago.  Then, I took a turn...now feel feverish, achy and congested.

Damned flu!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:20 AM »

I think I read that Ricky Nelson book.....most interesting.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »

About two weeks ago, I watched JULIE & JULIA again on cable and once again fell head over heels in love with the Julia Child portion of the movie.  So much, in fact, that my current read is Julia Child's (and nephew Alex Prud'Homme's) MY LIFE IN FRANCE.  The book is just as delightful as the film.  As I read it I can't help to hear every word in Child's (or Streep's Child's) loopy voice.  The only difficult part is when she describes the food and her meals and I'm reading on an empty stomach.  Ohhhhh....

I might at a later date look for the book that contains husband Paul Child's correspondance with his brother Charlie.  Paul Child is an interesting person in his own right.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »

Time to run! I am off to the Frank Loesser office and then to NYPL. I forgot to mention that as of last night I am officially hired as "Score Consultant" for the Encores! production of WHERE'S CHARLEY?

Congrats! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »

DR George - I'm glad that you got to see the tour of A Chorus Line last night. -Baayork is very happy with this cast, this "very young" cast. :)

Cool!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »

I'm tiiiiired.  And even a little hungry, actually.

Laura

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2011, 10:51:55 AM »

Great news, Elmore!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »

It's cold outside, although I think the weather has warmed up since my trek downtown.

I saw Jo and Emily Loesser, both of whom I love a great deal, and I learned at the NYPL a bit more about a comedy from 1924, THE MERRY WIVES OF GOTHAM, which starred Laura Hope Crews as an Irish washerwoman living in shantytown and Grace George as a Park Avenue socialite in the year 1873. Part of the charm of the play is that the ladies, who have a friendly relationship, never learn that they are actually sisters separated in Ireland 40 years earlier. Victor Herbert wrote a glorious Irish song, "Heart O'Mine," for the comedy. It was sung by Mary Ellis, who one year later became a star playing the title role in the operetta ROSE-MARIE.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:25:35 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »

Guess I'll go get something to eat and do a little proofing.

KevinH

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »

Hi everyone!   I'm still without cable, landline phone and internet at home, so I'm writing on my lunch hour at work.

There's been little progress in the cleanup of the room where the fire occurred (the storage room for all the residents); needless to say, all my belongings were destroyed.  I didn't have a lot of stuff down there, luckily.

In the meantime, I'm leaving for LA in the morning.  I'm going to Musicares (a charity attached to the Grammy Awards organization).  My fave female vocalist, Barbra Streisand, is being honored and promises to sing at the end of the evening.  I'm meeting several friends and am really looking forward to the show.

I hope to be back soon--hope everyone's doing well.  Sorry I haven't had time to read all the posts.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 12:03:16 PM »

...I forgot to mention that as of last night I am officially hired as "Score Consultant" for the Encores! production of WHERE'S CHARLEY?

Oh, DR Elmore, that's fantastic!  I think, as your official entourage, Richard and I need to be there for a performance..
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 12:09:57 PM »

Well...this sounds like a show to see:  Original Version of Grease, Grittier and Raunchier Than You Know, Will Get Production Where It All Began!

Here's how ATC bills the show: "Chicago. 1959. Before two movies and three Broadway productions, summer lovin' happened on Lake Michigan and the Pink Ladies were a group of working class outsiders living on Chicago's Northwest Side. Including never-before-heard music, lyrics and scenes, author Jim Jacobs teams up with artistic director PJ Paparelli and choreographer Jim Corti to bring to life for the first time since 1971 the original R-Rated version of the world’s most famous movie musical."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »

Hi everyone!   I'm still without cable, landline phone and internet at home, so I'm writing on my lunch hour at work.

There's been little progress in the cleanup of the room where the fire occurred (the storage room for all the residents); needless to say, all my belongings were destroyed.  I didn't have a lot of stuff down there, luckily.

In the meantime, I'm leaving for LA in the morning.  I'm going to Musicares (a charity attached to the Grammy Awards organization).  My fave female vocalist, Barbra Streisand, is being honored and promises to sing at the end of the evening.  I'm meeting several friends and am really looking forward to the show.

I hope to be back soon--hope everyone's doing well.  Sorry I haven't had time to read all the posts.

DR KevinH, have a wonderful time and a safe trip!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »

According to my memory and the internet he did.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/you-can-have-him-lyrics-irving-berlin.html

Well, knock me down!

I'm thinking of "You can have her, I don't wanter her; she's too big for me!"

The Song Is From The Musical  MISS LIBERTY

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2011, 12:21:22 PM »

Congrats! 
Double congrats.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 12:21:55 PM »

I'm sorry to hear you lost all your stuff, Kevin. But have a safe and fun trip to LA!

John G.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 12:29:41 PM »

TOD:

"Let's Face the Music and Dance"
The Manhattan Transfer's recording of "Happy Holiday"
"Sisters"
"Always"
"How's Chances"
"Lonely Heart"
"Moonshine Lullaby"
"Suppertime"
"Harlem on My Mind"
"Waiting at the End of the Road"

And for humorous: "Sex Marches On," "I Say It's Spinach" and "The Yam"
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »

Sorry for your loss of stuff. Glad you are OK and hope you have a great trip.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »

Class work is getting weirder. The teacher said it was OK that I miss the session she didn't tell me about until it was too late on Monday, but then she hasn't told me about anything else since and she's made assignments, which I've managed to do without/despite her. It's OK to ostracize me, but don't be so, well, third grade about it. This is supposed to be grad school. And there are only six or seven of us students.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »

...I forgot to mention that as of last night I am officially hired as "Score Consultant" for the Encores! production of WHERE'S CHARLEY?

Oh, DR Elmore, that's fantastic!  I think, as your official entourage, Richard and I need to be there for a performance..

YIKES!  I didn't realize this is just over a month away - sorry, DR Elmore, your "peeps" can't make this one.  We'll see you in Wooster in August...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »

Congrats on the gig, DR Elmore!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »

N-e-s-t-l-e-s, Nestles makes the very best...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up