Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BUCKLE AND SWASH  (Read 9459 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BUCKLE AND SWASH
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes both buckled and swashed, not necessarily in that order, and now it is time for you to post until the buckling and swashing cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BUCKLE AND SWASH
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »

And the word of the day is: JIMJAMS!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the hugs and the vibes.  Can't say this is easy, but it's been a hell of a lot easier knowing I have people in my life that care.  The ex, I'm afraid, doesn't have that network of friends.  I'm feeling sorry for him. 

More later!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »

And now you'll understand the title of today's notes - as promised, our in advance notice for you dear readers only.  You know the drill - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73) paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.  So, this is a wonderful, wonderful score.

Kritzerland is proud to present a new world premiere limited edition soundtrack:

PIRATES
Music Composed by Philippe Sarde

“You son of a double-eyed whore from the reeking gutters of Rotterdam!”

Roman Polanski had long wanted to make a pirate film; a grand, lush, fun pirate film like those he’d seen as a child.  He and collaborator Gerard Brach (with whom Polanski had collaborated on Repulsion, Cul-de-Sac, The Fearless Vampire Killers, What?, The Tenant, Tess, and others that would come later), wrote the script after Polanski had finished with Chinatown.  Originally slated to star Jack Nicholson and Polanski himself, the film would not be made until a decade later, this time with Walter Matthau in the lead.

Pirates premiered at the 1986 Cannes Film Festival, after which it opened in the United States to critical disdain and box-office apathy.  Grossing only two million dollars, the film was simply not what audiences of the day wanted and it disappeared quickly.  Even so, it did manage to pick up one Oscar nomination for Best Costume Design (Anthony Powell).   It vanished for a while, but, thanks to home video and cable showings, over the years people have come to appreciate its many pleasures, including Matthau’s terrific performance, the sometimes-mordant black humor, wonderful action scenes, gorgeous visuals (photography by Witold Sobocinski), and Polanski’s excellent and robust direction.  And, above all, the wonderful, colorful, lush, exciting, and altogether beautiful score of Philippe Sarde.

Polanski had begun what would be a fruitful collaboration with Sarde on The Tenant, which was followed by Sarde’s incandescent score for Tess (for which Sarde was nominated for an Academy Award) and then Pirates.  Born in 1945, Philippe Sarde began scoring films in 1970, and from then on became one of France’s busiest and best composers.  Right from the get-go the Sarde sound was instantly recognizable – his wonderful gift for memorable and melodic themes, his ability to do just about any genre, but in his own unique style.  His film scores throughout the 1970s were some of that decades’ best.  Soon thereafter, Hollywood discovered him, and he did many terrific scores for US films, such as Ghost Story, The Manhattan Project, Lovesick, Lord of the Flies, Music Box, along with an impressive list of French films and films from other countries

About the scoring of the film, Polanski said, “I did not intend to make a spoof and therefore I did not ask Philippe to spoof the music, though we both wanted to make references to the period and the atmosphere of the old Hollywood action flicks.  I wanted a music that would underline certain actions and gags, and yet I didn’t want a “Mickey Mouse” type of score.  I wanted to avoid a caricature.”  Sarde delivered exactly what Polanski wanted and an absolutely brilliant score.

Pirates was originally released on LP and then on CD by Varese Sarabande and that release is long out of print and has become a pricey collector's item.   That release was oddly sequenced, as a quick perusal of the cue titles will tell you.  We were going to leave it that way until we actually arranged the cue titles so that they followed the film’s story, and once we heard that we knew that we wanted to present it as Sarde wrote it.  And interestingly, we later found out that’s exactly how the original LP presented the score – the CD mixed it all up, but if you look at the LP cue order you’ll see it’s all in film order, sans the music that was added for the CD. 

The sound has been completely remastered, and additionally we’ve included two bonus cues: the main and end titles as presented in the film, taken from the beautiful-sounding foreign DVD release.   

Matey, they don’t seem to write scores like Pirates anymore, so it’s a real treat to have Philippe Sarde’s great swashbuckling music back on CD, sounding better than ever with enough buckle and swash for a dozen films.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price of the CD is $19.98, plus shipping.   Additionally, we are offering a special deal with the purchase of this release.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the second week of May – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:26:29 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:03:48 AM »

The CD has been ordered. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:53:13 AM »

Good morning, all! I am awake, I slept reasonably well, and I have only a few things to accomplish today, which is good, since I really want to go back to bed and sleep all day.

First, I have to change a light bulb so I can see,
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:54:02 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 04:54:22 AM »

Aye, Matey. It be cold in Manhattan!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:37:58 AM »

Aye, Matey. It be cold in Manhattan!

Yes, indeedy! And it's even colder with the windows open!

I'm not closing them.

I am certainly sleeping well in a cold room with lots of blankets and quilts on me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:18:03 AM »

Congrats to DR Jose's brother!

Danise

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 06:18:16 AM »

Hi all!  I kinda feel like DR Elmore.  I slept good but I feel like I could go back to bed and get some more ZZZZZZ's.

I LOVE all the Monkey pictures, DR Jose.  Now that he has his crown, How are you going to live with him?

Congrats to your brother and his girlfriend!  Errr make that fiancee!

((((VixMom!!!!))))  I so wish I could have been there to see the Vixter perform!  That is one thing that is really hurting me.  I don't have the money to travel any more and I don't see any time soon when that will happen.   
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:22:41 AM »

DR Jane--Sheena licks Toby as well so I'm not sure who is "top" dog.  I will say that I tried to put their collars on them again but as soon as I do one drags the other around by the collar so I took them off again. 
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:34 AM »

CD Ordered.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:55 AM »

Congrats to Jay brother of DR JOSE...and Jay's newly minted fiancee.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »

I am listening to the OBC of Carnival! on CD which I finally bought.....I had forgotten how much I enjoy this album....and show....and now am anxious to hear the newly ordered London Cast CD that will soon be released on KRITZERLAND RECORDS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 08:03:21 AM »

I'm up.  It's been raining most of the night and is still drizzling at this moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:03 AM »

Good morning!  Today is the day we dance the Bon Odori.  It's really pretty easy and I think it will be fun.   This is a fair, not a sit down concert so people will be milling around, going to booths, ordering and eating food etc while we perform.  Much less pressure.  I m,ust remember to take a camera though.  We're wearing the robes give by our sister city in Japan. 

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »

I saw THE ROSARY MURDERS when it was first released in theaters, then later on home video.

I remember liking it very much.

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 08:25:40 AM »

We watched THE PROWLER last night.

Very good; not your typical film noir.
You can dream…or you can do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 08:26:49 AM »

The robes aren't fancy, well they are more like jackets than robes. They are promotional, we'll take a group photo and send it to Japan for the sister city. I guess that means there will be a phot of me somewhere in a file in Japan, lol

Cillaliz

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:30 AM »

A very active and sort of heated conversation has started up on my criminal defense listserv about THE LINCOLN LAWYER.  I haven't seen it yet, but apparently there are a number of ethical issues and trial issues that don't look good for criminal defesne lawyers.  I think it's a little much to expect the movie to follow all the ethical rules, but some people get all out of shape over it

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 08:53:15 AM »

A very active and sort of heated conversation has started up on my criminal defense listserv about THE LINCOLN LAWYER.  I haven't seen it yet, but apparently there are a number of ethical issues and trial issues that don't look good for criminal defesne lawyers.  I think it's a little much to expect the movie to follow all the ethical rules, but some people get all out of shape over it

Nursie gets upset if a film isn't following historical accuracy. History and biography have never been good as dramatizations without dramatic license. Why not the law as well?

I was on a jury around 1986, for a simple armed robbery on a taxi driver, where the defendant, who was caught wearing the victim's hat and leather jacket, was very guilty. The ones who refused to convict - and because of them we were sequestered for two days -  asked the prosecutor after the trial, "where were the DNA tests or fingerprint results?" The attorney's comment: this is a simple robbery trial; you watch too much tv. We can't afford the tests you're asking about."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »

You mean they're not all 100% true and accurate like Carroll Baker's version of HARLOW?

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 09:07:56 AM »

I have plenty of swash, but my buckle is at the cleaner's.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's a sunny and cold morning here in Chicago (too).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 09:10:21 AM »

Thanks for all the good wishes for my brother, Jay, and his fiancée.

*My brother had to call my mother twice to tell her the good news. Apparently, she didn't really "understand" it the first time. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 09:12:16 AM »

And now...

Well...

More eating!

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »

Oy! I am getting sick of working for rich lunatics.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »

You mean they're not all 100% true and accurate like Carroll Baker's version of HARLOW?

Uh  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

no.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 09:31:27 AM »

Let's get to Page 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up