Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT I NEED  (Read 41762 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: WHAT I NEED
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »

On my way home from the rehearsal, I ran into Joel and Susanna Craig who met when they were in the original production of FOLLIES. Susanna was one of the showgirls and Joel, who was the dance captain for HELLO DOLLY in 1964, was in the ensemble. Joel's been a music copyist for years, and I met him when he helped me copy band parts for JUBILEE. Ron Raines recommended him. Susanna's big claim to fame is she was the killer version of Micharl Caine in drag for DRESSED TO KILL. So, I heard lots of good stories about the show and the disastrous tour before we went our various ways ths afternoon.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »

!!!!!! Page 6 Dance !!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »

Elmore, have you read the Jack Tales? I just learned of them and now can't wait to lay my hands on a copy. They're Appalachian folk tales with Jack of the beanstalk fame in various other tales. Don't know if any take place at Christmas or if any music is spoken on in them, but I thought of you when one of my professors was talking about them to me earlier this evening. (We're not reading them for class; we're reading Song of Roland, the Kalevala and the Niebelungenlied instead.)

THE SONG OF ROLAND inspired several Handel operas. Alcina and Ariodante are two I can think of off the bat.
Do you know of any good recordings? It seems I can do a compare of the Ring with the original, so I may do another paper on Roland and opera. Have to think of different angles.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:10 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the vibes.  I've been pretty shocked by all of it.  Jon called me again tonight. He's exhausted.  Somehow they managed to get the van cleared in Joe's garage and were able to get it out.  Jon has primarily been helping Joe, but has also been helping other friends.  The weather is really bad tonight there, but he's hoping to get out tomorrow and help his friends some more.

John G.

« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »

Thanks for the update, Cillaliz. Been praying for them ever since your post this morning.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »

Does anybody have a favorite Cole Porter biography? I am looking for one that's particularly detailed on his years as an ex-pat during the Jazz Age. (Yes, another paper.)
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »

He did tell me it's really hard to figure out where you are, there aren't any street signs or landmarks.  They are all definitely in shock. I'm really proud of the way he's gone out there and helped. Some of the things he's described are just unbelievable.

Cillaliz

« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »

Thanks JohnG and congrats on your grades!

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »

I did tell him if he falls asleep he may miss his one chance to meet Anderson Cooper, lol

Ginny

« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2011, 06:34:55 PM »

Continued vibes and prayers for Joe, Jon, and everyone else in Joplin!  Their experience last night had a lot to do with our decision to go to the basement earlier this evening.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} for DR Cillaliz.

DITTO!

Did anyone live in the house wit Joe?

no, Jon used to.  If he hadn't fallen asleep at home, he would have been over there watching a movie when the tornado hit

Extra scary!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2011, 06:42:09 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the vibes.  I've been pretty shocked by all of it.  Jon called me again tonight. He's exhausted.  Somehow they managed to get the van cleared in Joe's garage and were able to get it out.  Jon has primarily been helping Joe, but has also been helping other friends.  The weather is really bad tonight there, but he's hoping to get out tomorrow and help his friends some more.

That is very nice he can help & that Joe has a car.  nice too that you have been talking with jon.  i'm sure it is good for both of you.

Laura

« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »

Prayers for all those suffering crazy weather problems.

Laura

« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »

Today I took my late friend's mother to the arboretum. This is the friend whose funeral I thought I wouldn't be able to attend. Her mother and I get along so well. She talked about her some, and she was distracted some by all the birds we saw. It was a good day.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2011, 06:55:07 PM »

Elmore, have you read the Jack Tales? I just learned of them and now can't wait to lay my hands on a copy. They're Appalachian folk tales with Jack of the beanstalk fame in various other tales. Don't know if any take place at Christmas or if any music is spoken on in them, but I thought of you when one of my professors was talking about them to me earlier this evening. (We're not reading them for class; we're reading Song of Roland, the Kalevala and the Niebelungenlied instead.)

THE SONG OF ROLAND inspired several Handel operas. Alcina and Ariodante are two I can think of off the bat.
Do you know of any good recordings? It seems I can do a compare of the Ring with the original, so I may do another paper on Roland and opera. Have to think of different angles.

DR John G, I jst realized I was wrong! The Handel operas are based on ORLAND FURIOSO, not THE SONG OF ROLAND! I think Weber's opera OBERON might be based on SONG OF ROLAND.

I apologize.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »

Does anybody have a favorite Cole Porter biography? I am looking for one that's particularly detailed on his years as an ex-pat during the Jazz Age. (Yes, another paper.)

The only good one is William McBrien's.

John G.

« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:52 PM »

The only good one is William McBrien's.
I have that one. So, good. I also have Porter's autobiography, plus Robert Kimball's "Cole" (with photos that say volumes), the complete lyrics, a book on the Jazz Age in France with a chapter on Porter. It's a start. 
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »

YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE:

The Rapture has been rescheduled.

From the Associated Press:
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- California preacher Harold Camping said Monday his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on October 21.

John G.

« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »

Thank you, Laura, for that update.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:56 PM »

Finally getting a chance to listen to all of the London "Camelot" from Kritzerland. It's better than the Broadway, which I had not thought possible given what that album meant when I was a kid. Thanks, BK.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »

Good Evening!

I went to a reading of three new musicals. Three short new musicals - each one was 20-25 minutes. They were surprisingly good. Rather, I was surprised that they were good. And short. I was thinking each show ran an hour, but with the short running times, all three of them back to back ran just under 90 minutes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »

~~~~~CONTINUED VIBES OF SAFETY AND COMFORT TO THE CITIZENS OF JOPLIN AND MINNEAPOLIS~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »

And since today's weather seems to have triggered a sinus headache...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:16 PM »

Time to get to sleep.  Night all

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »

Kritzerland items in the mailbox!!!!!

Matthew

« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »

Uh, I think I need to read "Murder At The Hollywood Historical Society"... please don't tell me it's two years old....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »

It is two years old and I would advise reading it first, since one of its characters makes an appearance in the new one.

Matthew

« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »

I'm on it!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:42 PM »

And now, I'm off to my parents' for dinner.  I think my mom is making meatloaf...we'll see.

Until later!

Dinner at the parents' was postponed...my mom wasn't even home. ::)

So, I'll go over on Wednesday, instead.  Tomorrow night, the Washington Center for the Performing Arts is having their annual volunteer appreciation night and they'll also announce what'll be coming next season!  That's always exciting!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up