Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A KICKSTARTER SUCCESS  (Read 12307 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A KICKSTARTER SUCCESS
« on: July 17, 2011, 12:32:59 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes kickstarted and were successful, and now it is time for you to post until the successful cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: A KICKSTARTER SUCCESS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:35:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: SPADASSINISIDE!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

Ben

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:08:58 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 03:10:26 AM »

It's another lovely Sunday morning on Long Island and I'm, again, sitting on the patio with my oatmeal and coffee. I'm listening to Showtime on BBC Radio Wales. The rest of the house is asleep.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:10:37 AM »

Glad to hear you're fully funded Bruce.

KevinH

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:58:07 AM »

Good morning (well, for about 7 more minutes, anyway) from London! 

BK-congratulations on being fully funded!  Looking forward to the DVD!

KevinH

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »

I can't remember when I last wrote.  I think it was after I had arrived in Liverpool.  On Thursday my friend (who drove from Manchester) and I went for a walk at Albert Dock and other areas near the River Mersey.   They have a big outdoor (which doesn't make much sense considering how much it rains there) mall with shops, restaurants and movie theatres.

At Albert Dock there's a Beatles Museum, a giant Ferris Wheel and I believe a Museum of Art, among other attractions.

We took a "ferry cross the Mersey," which sounds more glamorous than it is!  There really isn't much to see across the river, but it was nice feeling the cool breeze off the river -I think the temp was in the high 60s and mostly sunny that day.  (I'm so glad to be away from the 100 degree temperatures in DC).

KevinH

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 04:17:08 AM »

Glenn and I had dinner at a restaurant at Albert Dock.   It took forever to be served and the food was just passable.  Glenn ordered garlic bread.  I don't particularly like garlic and at first turned down his offer to try some.  He told me there was very little garlic, so I tried some-it was very good bread but hardly any garlic at all.

So then it was time for the concert at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall.  It was conducted byJohn Wilson, who's considered a young genius here (I think he's about 38 yrs old).  Maybe some of the HHWs have head of him?  He also conducts the "Proms" sometimes.

The show was a tribute to Lerner and Loewe and starred Anthony Andrews of Brideshead Revisited fame (and he played the prime minister in The King's Speech); Annalene Beechey, who starred in a touring production of My Fair Lady with Mr Andrews; Kim Criswell and our own Mr. Barrett.

KevinH

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 04:25:53 AM »

Anthony Andrews served as the Narrator and also "sang" a couple of songs such as "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" and "How to Handle a Woman."  Kim Criswell sang (wonderfully) songs such as "Where are the Simple Joys of Maidenhood,"  "I Loved You Once In Silence," "Waitin' for My Dearie," and another song from Brigadoon: I think it's called "The One True Love of my Life."  Annalene sang songs from My fair Lady such as "I Could Have Danced All night" and "Just You Wait."   Brent started out with "C'est Moi," and also sang "Almost Like Being in Love," "There But for You Go I" and "From this Day On" (all of which were sung as in the show -as duets--with Annalene).  Oh, and "If Ever I Would Leave You!"   Needless to say, he was fantastic.  The whole cast did "Camelot" and "They Called the Wind Maria."

KevinH

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 04:29:02 AM »

Glenn and I had a nice chat with Brent after the show and I said hello to Kim Criswell, whom I had met last year when I was in Birmingham (UK).

KevinH

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 04:35:50 AM »

On Friday, we checked out of our hotel in Liverpool and drove to Haworth, home of the Bronte sisters.   It was a very scenic area --we passed through the Pennines and then to the "moors."  There's a tour of the "parsonage," where the family lived.  Most of the furniture and objects in the house were owned by the family.  I never realized there were a total of 6 children and that the father outlived them all (the mother had died when the children were mostly quite young).  Charlotte seems to be represented the most, with letters, clothing, etc of hers on display. 

The cobblestone streets in the town are quaint, but hard on the feet!

We had tea and scones at a little tea place.  It wasn't exactly authentic as far as the cream goes--they served whipped cream from a can--not clotted cream.  But it was very good (and very high in fat, I'm sure).

KevinH

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 04:39:35 AM »

Afterwards we drove to Glenn's home, where I met his parents and niece for the first time. We had more tea (very British!) and a very nice visit.

Glenn drove me to my hotel in central  Manchester ( he lives outside of the city).  I checked in and we went for a walk around.  It's not what you would call a pretty city.

Yesterday morning I took the train back to London.  I checked in to my hotel in the Paddington Station area--I've stayed in this area many times.  They have pretty reasonable rates and it's easy to get around on the "tube."  In addition, the Heathrow Express train leaves from Paddington very often and only takes about 15 minutes to get to Heathrow airport.

KevinH

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 04:46:01 AM »

I saw "Ghost, the Musical," on Glenn's recommendation yesterday.  Let's just say it wasn't my favorite show of all time.  The actress who played the Whoopi Goldberg role was very funny and belted out a great tune or two.  But the rest of the show did nothing for me.  Very unmemorable songs.   I guess I was in the minority, though.  Other audience members were very vocal about their love for the show.

After a quick dinner I went to see Pygmalion.  I was always curious to see how closely My Fair Lady followed it.  While some of the dialogue is the same or close, I was surprised to see how much more time Mrs. Higgins has.  She was played by Diana Rigg, who was wonderful.  And Rupert Everett played Henry.  Sorry I can't remember the actress who played Eliza, but she was very good.  I do think she sounded a little like Audrey Hepburn in the way she pronounced some words--I'm not sure it was intentional or not.

Well, my battery is running low.  I've got to go for now!

I'm going to see AL webber's Wizard of Oz in a couple of hours.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 05:03:43 AM »

Hey, Kevin, glad you're enjoying London and England. I miss my grandmother's country. With all this dental work being done I'm not sure when we will get back. But, I always have the BBC. I'm listening to Desmond Carrington right now, as a matter of fact. It's almost 8am. After Desmond I will go in and read Newsday and the Daily News.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 05:06:46 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 05:07:33 AM »

Great notes on the trip, KevinH. Glad you're having fun. I would love to see Diana Rigg in just about anything.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 05:08:11 AM »

Again congratulations, BK, on the funding.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 05:11:15 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Fr. Richard is on his way to Lima and Rob is at Sinclair Community College taking the practical part of the national paramedic registry exam.  Mary Linda and I have the house to ourselves - I was unable to go back to sleep after the guys left, but she's out cold.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 06:06:40 AM »

Good morning, all! I had a terrible, sleepless night of tossing and turning and wanted to sleep late, but the I don't want to screw up my sleeping patterns more than they are at present.

BK, good news about Kickstarter! I miss the days when I had actual pin money to play with as I pleased. So far, not in 2011!

DR Jose, the Holocaust film that left me shattered was Au Revoir, Les Enfants, after which I vowed, no more.

DR Kevn H, I have heard fantastic things about John Wilson from friends at Rodgers & Hammerstein, and I know he works a lot with Miss Kimmy. I'm glad you enjoyed the concert.

I've decided to go into Toyland tomorrow instead of this morning; after last weekend's two frustrating days of power problems - which have not occurred during the week - I'll do the scans tomorrow morning.

I guess that's it for the nonce. More coffee!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 06:47:28 AM »

Congrats to MR BK and TFNM!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 06:48:18 AM »

Good news from DR TCB!

So glad to hear that:

DR JOSE's shows are going well!

DR CILLA LIZ had a great party!

AND all about DR KEVIN's trip!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 06:50:15 AM »

I have a souvenir book from 1776 that lists the same cast that DR ELMORE listed yesterday.

DR ELMORE I think my dislike with the show comes from my antipathy toward Mr Daniels - who is always so supercilious in interviews and in those television shows he appeared in .... which I read and saw many years before I saw the movie version of the musical.

Perhaps I just need to see a good production of it....or work on it.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 06:57:54 AM »

Congrats, BK on being fully funded.
You can dream…or you can do.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 07:19:18 AM »

Congrats on getting funded!

It must happened sometime after 10:30PM EST just before I went to bed. I realized that I had a new credit card and check card because my account was compromised. I went online to update my information and saw that there was still a ways to go.

And this morning I signed on to see the good news!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 07:20:06 AM »

The clip of the opening titles looks great!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 07:24:50 AM »

It seems that Scott Miller and A. Nony Mous put it over the top!!
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 07:30:12 AM »

I have a souvenir book from 1776 that lists the same cast that DR ELMORE listed yesterday.

DR ELMORE I think my dislike with the show comes from my antipathy toward Mr Daniels - who is always so supercilious in interviews and in those television shows he appeared in .... which I read and saw many years before I saw the movie version of the musical.

Perhaps I just need to see a good production of it....or work on it.

That may be Mr Daniels' personality. I really don't know, because I only met him once, around 2002, and he was very kind. Maybe he doesn't like doing interviews? Some actors really are shy and don't like talking about themselves. With others, it's all about me. I always suspected that it was his prickly but absolutely wonderful performance as John Adams that led to his getting other prickly brusque roles. He was certainly a nebbish is Barbara Harris' fiance warren in ON A CLEAR DAY.

I also liked him very much in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. He was one of the second cast replacements, and the only really good one, taking over for Len Cariou. The new Henrik was really awful, and the wonderful Barbara Lang, who had played Abigail Adams in the 1776 tour, was not a very good Desiree
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:32:03 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »

I shall take your information under advisement DR ELMORE.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And even though I do have the "luxury" of sleeping in until 10:30 each morning now, I really shouldn't.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »

Dr KevinH - Thanks for your updates on your trip to London. It really does sound like you're having a wonderful time.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up