Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TEENY-TINY NUTS  (Read 13330 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TEENY-TINY NUTS
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were tiny and nutty, and now it is time for you to post until the teeny-tiny cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: TEENY-TINY NUTS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »

And the word of the day is: ESCULENT!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 04:57:03 AM »

Good morning, all! Yesterday was quite a long day and my hurdle of a weekend is not yet over. The most tedious and time-comsuming is the booklet for the Herbert songs. I've found a few things already, but the most involved part is checking the layout of the German texts with the English versions andassuring that I missed nothing when I converted my files per the New World Records request. I've already found one spot and it looks like there may be several others. Oy.

I've also got Joshie's newest corrections to the DEAREST ENEMY vocal score, which have to be proofed along with the last four numbers in the score so he can begn the final round of work, which he's juggling between Encores! and a couple of other jobs, and at any time now I'm due for another orchestra score or two for the Rodgers & Hart show (seven full scores to go!). I plan to work my proverbial butt off this morning on the booklet, see at noon where things stand, and make a decision about attending the HHW meetup this afternoon. Work and play in New York, as a self-employed person, have always had their conflicts for me, which is why "Finishing the Hat" moved me so much when I saw the original workshop of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE:     
 Finishing the hat
 How you have to finish the hat
 How you watch the rest of the world
 From a window
 While you finish the hat

Mapping out a sky
 What it feels like, planning a sky
 How it feels when voices that come
 Through the window go
 Until they distance and die

That's my day, and that is the end of the news.

More coffee,
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:37:11 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:34:22 AM »

I just had a fire in my kitchen. In my preoccupied state I set an empty bag of chips on a low flame, went back to work and shortly smelled something burning. Luckily the fire involved only the counter, sink and stove. It could have been much worse, although now I need to make time and clean up the damned mess.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:35:16 AM »

I hope I can get melted plastic off of the silverware!

Danise

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:53:46 AM »

I just had a fire in my kitchen. In my preoccupied state I set an empty bag of chips on a low flame, went back to work and shortly smelled something burning. Luckily the fire involved only the counter, sink and stove. It could have been much worse, although now I need to make time and clean up the damned mess.

Yikes!  So scary---I'm just glad you are ok!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:00:13 AM »

Good morning, DR Danise! I am fine, thanks, grateful that there wasn't a worse fire, and there could have been if the burning bag had fallen into the recyclable paper bin. Everything's cleaned up now, and I've discovered that Ajax scouring powder and a god brush will clean melted plastic off sharp knives. I'm also thoroughly pissed over my stupidity in not turning off the gas burner when I finished my coffee. That was the stupidest move so far this morning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 06:05:31 AM »

Maybe you wanted to subconsciously invite a fireman into your home DR ELMORE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 06:05:44 AM »

What time is it?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 06:08:52 AM »

Maybe you wanted to subconsciously invite a fireman into your home DR ELMORE.

I'm surprised DR MBarnum hasn't used that ploy!

Since I call 911 at any hint of smoke in the air, the firemen have been here far too often! Remember in 2008, during the bed bug mess, when the bitch neighbor down the hall was so terrified that I was send bugs down to her apartment that she called the fire dept. to make me remove the cartons I was sending to Miami University Library from the hallway, and they came and issued me an order to remove the cartons within 24 hours or be fined? She's never called to complain about the slob across the hall who leaves stacks of cartons and newspapers outside his place for months!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:14:15 AM by elmore3003 »

Danise

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 06:13:06 AM »

Was reading the posts from yesterday--the idea about a smartphone for TCB.  I have a spare LG Optimus model phone that I would be happy to give to you, TCB.  It works with the Virgin Phone network.  It's a pay as you go type of phone and I believe the cost is now $35.00 a month for unlimited internet/text and I think 300 anytime talk minutes.  The reason I switched phones to the LG Optimus Slider was because it didn't have the slide out keyboard.  I was having problems with using the on screen keyboard because of the arthritis in my hands.  I don't know if that would be a problem for  you.

If you think it would help, I would be more than happy to send it to you.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:15:23 AM »

Ah yes, I remember that DR ELMORE......but I can't remember what I was doing at the time.

Danise

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 06:17:17 AM »

Good morning, DR Danise! I am fine, thanks, grateful that there wasn't a worse fire, and there could have been if the burning bag had fallen into the recyclable paper bin. Everything's cleaned up now, and I've discovered that Ajax scouring powder and a god brush will clean melted plastic off sharp knives. I'm also thoroughly pissed over my stupidity in not turning off the gas burner when I finished my coffee. That was the stupidest move so far this morning.

We all do "why did I DO that" things from time to time.  I'm just glad you were not hurt.   I saw something cute on Facebook the other day:  I've learned so much from my mistakes that I'm thinking about making some more!  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 06:21:20 AM »

Ah yes, I remember that DR ELMORE......but I can't remember what I was doing at the time.

LOL! I remember things from 25 years ago better than yesterday.

Danise

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 06:25:27 AM »

I have to say I LOVE my new phone and used it quite a bit while in NYC.  It was such a help with the GPS and the maps.  I used one app to mark the hotel location so no matter where I went, I just had to look at  a map to figure out where I was and how to get back. 

That was how I found MOOD as well.  The only problem there was figuring out that you had to go inside the building and up to the 3rd floor.  I kept passing by the spot the map showed but there was nothing on the outside to tell you MOOD was in the building.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 06:32:47 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 06:33:16 AM »

Glad it was only a minor fire, Elmore.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 06:44:04 AM »

On the subject of proofing:

Yesterday, while reading Stephen Citron's book about Sondheim and Lloyd Webber, I came across a photo from A Little Night Music of Desiree (Glynis Johns, her daughter (Judy Kahan) and her maid (Despo). The latter looks nothing like Hermione Gingold, yet the woman is identified in the caption as being Desiree's mother. The book makes some other deplorable mistakes, including writing about how "Every Day a Little Death" is composed in a variation of 3/4 time, when it is not. (My vocal score has it in 4/4 and Sondheim himself has spoken a great deal about how it is not one of the waltz variations.)

This morning, in the musical overview, "Strike Up the Band," author Scott Miller writes about "composer Noble Sissle" and his score for "Shuffle Along" before repeating a quote that was from the show's real composer, Eubie Blake. Sissle was lyricist.

Yet, hard as we try when we edit, mistakes will get past people.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »

Spent the day in Austin yesterday at SXSW. Rain, rain and more rain through the early part of the evening. But the food was really good and the music fine. Saw a group called Quiet Company that included cello, trombone and zylophone amid their hard rock sound. And the band was entirely dressed in suits. You couldn't understand a lyric because the sound mix was way off, but the sound was fun.

Next Saturday, the parties get kicked up a notch because it's the closing. Looking forward to Racheal Ray's, with Jimmy Cliff and Train among the performers. And maybe we'll get back to the Cooking Channel's shindig.
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 07:31:07 AM »

I have to say I LOVE my new phone and used it quite a bit while in NYC.  It was such a help with the GPS and the maps.  I used one app to mark the hotel location so no matter where I went, I just had to look at  a map to figure out where I was and how to get back. 

That was how I found MOOD as well.  The only problem there was figuring out that you had to go inside the building and up to the 3rd floor.  I kept passing by the spot the map showed but there was nothing on the outside to tell you MOOD was in the building.

Danise, when you left MOOD did you say "THANK YOU MOOD!!"??
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:33:42 AM by Matthew »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:31:18 AM »

I'm up and must run and meet Kevin Spirtas at some jernt.  More when I return.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 07:33:29 AM »

On the subject of proofing:

Yesterday, while reading Stephen Citron's book about Sondheim and Lloyd Webber, I came across a photo from A Little Night Music of Desiree (Glynis Johns, her daughter (Judy Kahan) and her maid (Despo). The latter looks nothing like Hermione Gingold, yet the woman is identified in the caption as being Desiree's mother. The book makes some other deplorable mistakes, including writing about how "Every Day a Little Death" is composed in a variation of 3/4 time, when it is not. (My vocal score has it in 4/4 and Sondheim himself has spoken a great deal about how it is not one of the waltz variations.)

This morning, in the musical overview, "Strike Up the Band," author Scott Miller writes about "composer Noble Sissle" and his score for "Shuffle Along" before repeating a quote that was from the show's real composer, Eubie Blake. Sissle was lyricist.

Yet, hard as we try when we edit, mistakes will get past people.

Every day a Little Death I thought was in 6/8.   

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 07:37:37 AM »

DR Elmore that sounds scary!

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 07:38:06 AM »

Did everybody who has to turn their clocks ahead?

I did most of mine last night. Plus the others change automatically.

KevinH

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 07:53:09 AM »

Good morning from New York, New York!

KevinH

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »

First, thanks to all for the travel vibes yesterday.  I got  here without a hitch!

KevinH

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 07:57:15 AM »

I had a great day yesterday! 

I saw "Seminar," starring Alan Rickman, Jerry O'Connell and three other actors  (including the guy who played Julia Louis-Dreyfus's brother on The New Adventures of Old Christine).
The acting was great and I mostly enjoyed it, but it's really not my kind of show, I guess.

KevinH

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »

I later saw "Once," which certainly lived up to DRs Ben and elmore's raves!  I loved it---such talented people on stage.  The two leads were perfect as was BK's friend Andy Taylor , who really fooled me with his Irish accent!

KevinH

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »

To top of my day, I was invited by BK to join him and his friend Walter at Joe Allen's after the show.  I spotted them right away --they had a great view of the entrance.  Walter was interesting and friendly and BK was as funny as ever.

Brent and Bernie joined us not long after.  I do believe they were quite surprised to see me, but were gracious as always. 

I really enjoyed myself and heard some discussion of Brent's possible participation in Outside the Box--I'm sure it will be hilarious!

Thanks again to BK for inviting me----it was so great of you!

KevinH

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »

I tried using the internet in my room ($14.95 for 24 hours) and it didn't work.  Went to the lobby for the free wi-fi---didn't work. So I walked across the street to another hotel and voila, free internet!  Shh--don't tell anyone I'm not registered here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up