Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RAIN  (Read 16002 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: RAIN
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »

DR Ginny look was will be out on March 27th!
Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel [Hardcover]
Jacqueline Winspear (Author)

It will also be available as an eBook.

DR Jane, I'm way behind on the Maisie Dobbs series.  Last one I read was #5 and this new one is #9!

You need to catch up. :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »

[
Shut up and eat your gruel!

Please, sir, may I have some raisins with that?

der Brucer

Last night Woody treated me to my favorite March dinner:

Boiled Corned Beef with cabbage, potatoes, carrots and a whole sweet onion- served with spicy brown mustard and local baked rye bread.

(he actually prepared two briskets (they were on sale 1/3 off) so we have lots of sandwich makings
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »

DR Jane, I'm way behind on the Maisie Dobbs series.  Last one I read was #5 and this new one is #9!

Yes, I do, but this week I need to finish Major Pettigrew's Last Stand for Thursday's book group meeting.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

[
Shut up and eat your gruel!

Plese, sir, may I have some raisens with that?

der Brucer

Last night Woody treated me to my favorite March dinner:

Boiled Corned Beef with cabbage, potatoes, carrots and a whole sweet onion- served with spicy brown mustard and local baked rye bread.

(he actually prepared two briskets (they were on sale 1/3 off) so we have lots of sandwich makings

Make a Reuben for DR TCB!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »

LOL....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »

Elmore has logged out - I hope that means he's tending to his needs!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »

Yes, I do, but this week I need to finish Major Pettigrew's Last Stand for Thursday's book group meeting.

Let's hope by Thursday your past the "My God, Ginny, what happend to you?" stage.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »

Profits AT the Pump

From New York to Philadelphia, refineries that turn oil into gasoline have been idled or shut permanently because their owners are losing money on them. Sunoco Inc. is expected to close the region's largest refinery in July, taking another 335,000 barrels per day in production capacity off the market.

The East Coast refineries are getting squeezed by the soaring cost of crude oil, the major component in gasoline. The cost of oil has jumped in the past year due to global economic growth and rising tensions between Western nations and Iran, a major producer. Refineries haven't been able to increase their own prices enough to compensate.

So now gasoline will get even more expensive!

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2012, 03:10:06 PM »

I hope you are enjoying it as much as I did.

Jane

« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2012, 03:11:08 PM »

DR derBrucer thank you for sharing the "cheerful" news. ;)

KevinH

« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »

Vibes for DR elmore!

Ginny

« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

Let's hope by Thursday your past the "My God, Ginny, what happend to you?" stage.

der Brucer

My book group friends are so used to seeing me bruised I doubt they'll even notice.  One is a retired physician and 2 are nurses, so I'm in pretty good hands when we're together.

KevinH

« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »

Watched the last two episodes of Smash.   I really like the show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »

Had some lunch.  As always on Sunday every restaurant in Studio City has lines out the door.  I guess the days of home-cooked Sunday meals for the family are a thing of the past.  Thankfully, I got into Art's Deli right away and had a tri-salad - two scoops of turkey salad, one scoop egg salad, a scoop each of potato salad and cole slaw and some rye bread.  Very good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »

I'm listening to a few tracks from our new master right now.  I think we'll wait until Tuesday morning to announce, unless I really get it together today.

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »

Good heavens is this morning's paper full of THE HUNGER GAMES.  Betsy and Zach are going to the midnight premiere this week with a gaggle of Zach's school friends and his English teacher.

I am dying to see this movie. But I don't know how well i'd do at a midnight showing. I know a lot of people are doing that.  I think I am going to wait a few days and go on the Tuesday, since I don't really love crowds.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »

der Brucer

My book group friends are so used to seeing me bruised I doubt they'll even notice.  One is a retired physician and 2 are nurses, so I'm in pretty good hands when we're together.

If they get excited you should be worried. ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »

I had no idea jelly and jello were the same thing in the UK. Peanut butter and jello sandwich sounds disgusting.

Jennifer

« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »

The weather is ridiculously amazing here. It's like 75F! And it is supposed to stay hot thru Thursday.  I need to find some thinner pants.

I am going to try to take my bike out tomorrow.

Ginny

« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »

Just got an email telling me that our book sale brought in more than $9000!  Lots of good scholarships...

Jane

« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »

Congratulations!!!

Jane

« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »

I had no idea jelly and jello were the same thing in the UK. Peanut butter and jello sandwich sounds disgusting.

;D  I'm chuckling at the thoughts running through DR Doug's mind when he read it was a popular sandwich.

Jennifer

« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »

Feel better DR Ginny! Hope it doesn't hurt too much! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »

Thanks, DR Jennifer!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »

So do we - however others are of a different mind:

WASHINGTON POST

Smash’: Dream big, as long as you fit the right demographic
By Jessica Goldstein, Published: March 9

Unless your definition of minorities includes “redheads” and “people with accents,” you’d have a rough time finding many in the cast of NBC’s “Smash,” a drama about the goings-on behind the scenes of a Broadway musical in the making.

There is a half-Puerto Rican actor who plays a disgruntled assistant. Dev, the boyfriend of Katharine McPhee’s character, hails from England and is of Indian descent. And, as far as series regulars go, that’s it.

Technically speaking, there are a handful of minorities who pop up in the ensemble or as Friend No. 3, and the invisible baby Debra Messing’s character will never actually adopt is Chinese. (No work-life balance allowed for women on TV; don’t want to give us any ideas.)

But wait, there is hope! There is hope because settled inside “Smash” like a Russian nesting doll is a musical-within-the-show. This musical could be where all the interesting, complicated, exciting parts for, say, African-Americans are hiding. This diverse portion of the cast will be revealed as soon as we get done watching the blond girl flirt with a Jonas brother and have sex with the blondish guy.

Oh, wait. It turns out, the focus of this original musical is Marilyn Monroe. I use the term “original” here to mean “there will be songs that haven’t been written before,” not to suggest that creating a narrative around Marilyn Monroe is an even remotely original idea, because come on.
Marilyn the Musical! Get excited to watch two white girls duke it out for the Role Of A Lifetime! It’s cool though, because one is a brunette.

After that, a trio of white men will audition to be Marilyn’s three most famous love interests: Joe DiMaggio, Arthur Miller and JFK. We are looking at a show set to be even less diverse than the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

If the “Smash” folks were so set on making a nostalgia-fueled musical, why not create a show about Motown instead? “Hairspray” and “Dreamgirls” were both ( . . .wait for it) smash hits in theaters and on film. Motown provides ample opportunities for diverse casting, not to mention that it would allow the cover songs featured in every episode to be thematically relevant. This would save us all from watching McPhee attempt to jam the square peg of “Redneck Woman” into the round hole of a karaoke bar in Iowa.

And, should the wildest hopes of the “Smash” production team be realized and the musical-within-a-show become a real-life musical, there would be that many more leading roles for non-white actors on Broadway. As “Smash” would encourage us: Dream big, people.

Whoa...wait just a minute.

...why not create a show about Motown instead? “Hairspray” and “Dreamgirls” were both ( . . .wait for it) smash hits in theaters and on film.

So for diversity let's create a show about two shows written by (...wait for it... ) white men!

Note: two of those white men are writing SMASH!

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »

I am back from Shrek the musical.  People really don't know at what age to bring kids to the theatre. I get that it can be a tough call. My sister did not even consider bringing my almost 3 year old niece.

Nobody brought kids under 2. But there were quite a few 3 and 4 year olds. And really they are much too young.

We had great seats (9th row). And there ended up being a little kid sitting in front of me. But half way thru the first act he wanted to go. I get that his parents paid $150+ dollars for tix. So they put him in their lap. But left after the intermission.

Many of the younger kids did not really seem to be able to sit. My 6 year old niece loved it and was cackling so hard. I had no idea her laugh was so distinctive.

I definitely enjoyed it. Especially because I have not been to any musical theatre in quite a while.

Jennifer

« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »

I wrote yesterday that i just went thru all the episodes and absolutely love it.

Jennifer

« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »

Just got an email telling me that our book sale brought in more than $9000!  Lots of good scholarships...

Wow that is great.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »

I am back from Shrek the musical.  People really don't know at what age to bring kids to the theatre. I get that it can be a tough call. My sister did not even consider bringing my almost 3 year old niece.

Nobody brought kids under 2. But there were quite a few 3 and 4 year olds. And really they are much too young.

We had great seats (9th row). And there ended up being a little kid sitting in front of me. But half way thru the first act he wanted to go. I get that his parents paid $150+ dollars for tix. So they put him in their lap. But left after the intermission.

Many of the younger kids did not really seem to be able to sit. My 6 year old niece loved it and was cackling so hard. I had no idea her laugh was so distinctive.

I definitely enjoyed it. Especially because I have not been to any musical theatre in quite a while.

It is a shame so many of the children couldn't sit through the show.  I'm glad your niece enjoyed it enough to cackle. :)

Jane

« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »

I'm surprised on DR JMK responded to my question regarding ONCE.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up