News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RAIN  (Read 15972 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: RAIN
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 06:40:45 AM »

Yes...very strange concerning the TITANIC 1953 Blu Ray - it has disappeared from the Amazon website.

I have an inquiry into those who should know.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 07:03:02 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept very late.

I'm in a quandary at the moment over a 30-year friendship's falling apart badly, and that has me rather depressed. I don't know if at this point it's salvageable. and a major part of the problem is my own stubbornness. I've been slapped once too often in the past year and a half to want to forgive and make amends. It's eating at me, though.

Today, I have to locate in this apartment some Jerome Moross scores for another project, proof a couple of full scores for DEAREST ENEMY. and weed out some iTunes files.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 07:05:28 AM »

???  I made no criticism,...

I read:

"Actually (at the risk of making BK's head explode) I noticed this morning there are several typos spread across not just the label but the insert and booklet, and all of them different."

as implied criticism

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:43 AM »

I'm in a quandary at the moment over a 30-year friendship's falling apart badly, and that has me rather depressed. I don't know if at this point it's salvageable. and a major part of the problem is my own stubbornness. I've been slapped once too often in the past year and a half to want to forgive and make amends.

Well, my unsolicited opinion is that a 30 year friendship is certainly worth the "forgiving" - the nature of amends needs further thought.

With luck, a 30 year friendship will welcome the "forgiving" and forego the "amends".
That friend is suely aware that your "stubborness" is part of the package.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:59 AM »

Yes DR JMK - let us know what you find out......most mysterious.....they probably had a healthy pre-order number, although I never looked at the Amazon ranking.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 07:14:48 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept very late.

I'm in a quandary at the moment over a 30-year friendship's falling apart badly, and that has me rather depressed. I don't know if at this point it's salvageable. and a major part of the problem is my own stubbornness. I've been slapped once too often in the past year and a half to want to forgive and make amends. It's eating at me, though.

Today, I have to locate in this apartment some Jerome Moross scores for another project, proof a couple of full scores for DEAREST ENEMY. and weed out some iTunes files.

This can be distressing - but leave it in other hands for now and see what happens.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 07:30:44 AM »

Hello, Goodbye

FJL

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »

Yes, Jose was at last Sunday's lunch with BK, Skip, me, and KevinH (and special guests Todd and Todd's delightful family).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 07:34:58 AM »

Yes DR JMK - let us know what you find out......most mysterious.....they probably had a healthy pre-order number, although I never looked at the Amazon ranking.

I noticed that Amazon stocks none of the esisting Titanic DVDs - they're all for other sellers.

Also, I got a notice that my selction for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [Blu-ray] was not available;however, they do have a two disc version Blu/DVD I can oredr.

JMK

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 07:36:36 AM »

I just listened to Side One of Tony Sings The Great Hits of Today, the album that evidently made Mr. Bennett vomit on the floor before the recording sessions.  I'm not sure I have the fortitude to make it to Side Two.  Despite some nice (if at times odd) arrangements by Peter Matz, something was definitely off here. 

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »

I believe I may have an answer, though I haven't gotten confirmation yet.  Our listing has a click-through only to Best Buy.  When that happens, that typically means it's a Best Buy exclusive for some time (actually for months on some occasions), before the title is released to other retailers. 

Ben

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »

I just listened to Side One of Tony Sings The Great Hits of Today, the album that evidently made Mr. Bennett vomit on the floor before the recording sessions.  I'm not sure I have the fortitude to make it to Side Two.  Despite some nice (if at times odd) arrangements by Peter Matz, something was definitely off here. 

Oh, my! I had never heard of

Tony Sings The Great Hits of Today

until JMK mentioned it. According to Wikipedia, it was considered the nadir of his career. Sounds like a camp classic.

JMK

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »

???  I made no criticism,...

I read:

"Actually (at the risk of making BK's head explode) I noticed this morning there are several typos spread across not just the label but the insert and booklet, and all of them different."

as implied criticism

der Brucer

Observation does not equal criticism.

JMK

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »

Oh, my! I had never heard of

Tony Sings The Great Hits of Today

until JMK mentioned it. According to Wikipedia, it was considered the nadir of his career. Sounds like a camp classic.

It's not even good enough to be camp.  Methinks Mr. Bennett may have been under the influence (this was the beginning of his downward spiral).

JMK

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »

I did get an autographed copy, however.  :)

The cover is by Bob Peak.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 07:43:46 AM »

Some ( I hope) relatively non-political musings on Health Care Reform
News report today:

Death, taxes and now health insurance? Having a medical plan or else paying a fine is about to become another certainty of American life, unless the Supreme Court says no.
People are split over the wisdom of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul, but they are nearly united against its requirement that everybody have insurance.
No one seems willing to embrace the whole problem and develop a set of integrated solutions.

As long as we have a medical system that by judicial fiat or medical practice delivers services to those unwilling/unable to pay, those of us with Health Insurance will be picking up the tab. One way or another, Health Care providers must meet costs! Anytime a patient does not pay the full cost of his care (either because he is an uninsured indigent or his provider pays less than true cost - Like some Medicare and virtually all Medicaid - or hard-boiled Insurance Companies that negotiated tight contracts, the “lost” costs are recovered from the deeper pockets (The Insurance companies who than pass these costs along as higher premiums).

The above results in a convoluted system of cost accounting that is hostile to attempts by others to instigate cost control/containment measures.

The system needs changes that enable providers to bill true coasts – any costs not reimbursed from patients and their coverers should be reimbursed from a Federal Fund established for that purpose. (how that fund is financed is a separate issue).

Address the un-reimbursed care problem. Clearly codify what services hospitals are required o provide indigent/un-insured patients. County Hospital in LA was providing free dental care as part of their Emergency Unreimbursed care. In many Hospitals, walk-in indigents get more extensive treatment then do patients with chintzy health plans. Is there no reason we can not treat the “needy” in 12 bed wards rather than private or Semi-private rooms?

Bring the issue of Healthcare Rationing out of the closet and deal with it.
We already have Healthcare rationing – read your Insurance Policy!
12-month waiting lists are a form of rationing.
Transplant waiting lists are a form of rationing

Non-Formulary prescription drug denial is a form of rationing.
There are neither the physical assets nor the funds to provide “the best Health Care money can buy” to everyone who presents themselves for treatment.

Aggregate data to provide a complete picture of the problem:
Assuming everyone is “covered” what services will be provided that are not now being provided? (It’s nonsense to look at “who will be covered” who is not currently covered when many of the “not currently covered” are still receiving treatment.

Evaluate the current Medical Delivery system to ascertain what will be the future needs based on universal coverage and set plans in place to provide it. Where is the master chart that shows all current physicians, by specialty, projected need for all physicians by specialty, and training programs to meet those needs.

Do the above for non-MD Health workers and facilities (hospitals, rehabs, labs, etc.)

Since the issue of Mandatory Insurance seems argumentative, I suggest we take a Medicare-like approach:

Determine the cost of a minimum approved Health Care plan; devise a payroll tax to collect that amount; and provide for a short-form tax credit for anyone who has qualified insurance (purchased or employer provided) – dedicate these funds to the fund discussed above for unreimbursed hospital costs.

(I would prefer a consumption tax rather than a wage tax, but that’s a different story).
I am still waiting for the Government to define a minimum acceptable Health Insurance policy (one that will be listed on the soon to be exchanges.

Whatever these requirements are become the minimum acceptable employer provided health plans. (We obviously won’t let an employer get away with a plan that has a $9000/year deductable , 90% co-pays, and does not cover heart or liver problems – so we need to define what is the minimum acceptable plan). We’ve already seen the problem with mandating inclusion of birth-control – imagine how many other pitfalls lay ahead – alternative medicine, chiropractors, experimental treatments, etc

It’s sure tough to argue details of solutions when we can not agree on the details of the problem.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 07:46:25 AM »

I believe I may have an answer, though I haven't gotten confirmation yet.  Our listing has a click-through only to Best Buy.  When that happens, that typically means it's a Best Buy exclusive for some time (actually for months on some occasions), before the title is released to other retailers. 

Ahhh.....it all begins to make sense now.....well the scenario NOT the sales technique.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »

I got a notice on the TAR Facebook page that Basketball may delay the start of the show on the East Coast and in the Hinterlands.

Laura

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:50 AM »

As Kerry said, we did indeed get some rain overnight. Not quite the .67 inches they were talking about. More like .16. But rain nonetheless. This will hold us until monsoon comes in August.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 08:18:35 AM »

As Kerry said, we did indeed get some rain overnight. Not quite the .67 inches they were talking about. More like .16. But rain nonetheless. This will hold us until monsoon comes in August.

We get .67 inches between 9:00:00 and 9:00:01 daily here in the PNW.  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »

Ahhh.....it all begins to make sense now.....well the scenario NOT the sales technique.

Definitely NOT the sales technique.  I can see them having an exclusive on a title that folks will be clamoring for.  But, honestly....the Clifton Webb "Titanic"?   Is Best Buy desperate for those of us who would ONLY go there for this one DVD?

I know...they had an exclusive on that Universal set that included "The Incredible Shrinking Man."  Thank goodness I had it on a DVD-R.

A thought I had about it centers around Fox Home Video's new arrangement with Screen Archives Entertainment.  SAE has, apparently, an "exclusive" deal with Fox to issue Blu-rays of vault titles, starting with "The Grapes of Wrath" and "Zorba the Greek".  There's a "chance" that "Titanic" may have been moved into that batch that SAE will issue over the coming months.

As long as the BD isn't being cancelled, I don't care which it is.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 08:34:24 AM »

What's odd about the Best Buy exclusives is that some of them are only for a week or two while others stretch on for months.  They also don't seem to do a very good job of advertising their exclusives--we find out about them rather late as a matter of course.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »

good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »

Thank you for the advice. I'm notsure how this will go down, and I've been carrying this feeling about the friendship falling apart since mid-January. My initial response is to say, screw you, consider him no longer a friend and go on. It took me years to disown the Macbeths - which I did not want to do - but whichproved one of the smartest things i've done. Oy!

On a happier note, ONCE opens tonight, and I have no idea what its reviews will be like. If you're buying the CD, I suggest going to Barnes & Noble for their "special edition," which includes the Czech number and David Patrick Kelly's wonderful rendition of "Raglan Road" that ends the cast's onstage warmup before the show actually begins. Yep, curtain time may be 8:00 but around 7:40 the fun begins.

And goddaughter Charlotte is back safe and sound from two weeks in Equador, visting a friend.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2012, 09:00:46 AM »

I have been watching SUSAN SLADE on TCM this morning....a Delmer Daves Spectacular....and probably my favorite Connie Stevens movie.  Her acting choices in this movie lean toward stuttering.....but she and Troy and so nice looking and the story is a WOW!

Unfortunately Max Steiner's music doesn't reach the high style of A SUMMER PLACE or ROME ADVENTURE or PARRISH....but still lovely.....

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »

I woke up to snow and it is still snowing. :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »

I am watching our old production of DON'T DRINK THE WATER while transferring to DVD.  My Father Drobney is doing okay......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:03 AM »

Hint:  Don't go looking for clips of plays you like on YOU TUBE......there is a lot of.... JUNK on there.....most of it hideous.

FJL

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »

And yet I can't find the title tune to the film DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!!!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »

A few photos from South by Southwest. A night bloomer amid some gallardias.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up