Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EASY LISTENING  (Read 35744 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EASY LISTENING
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:13:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were easy and were listening, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently listening to their favorite Easy Listening music by MOOntovani and MOOlanchrino. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: EASY LISTENING
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: RESILE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:33:41 AM »

In case Jennifer misses the last posts of yesterday, I think she inquired whether the new book was available as an eBook on Kobo - yes - $3.49.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 02:03:28 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Ann (a.k.a. DR TCB's "daughter" AND DR Jed's Wife)!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 02:17:10 AM »

TOD

I preferred more classical "easy listening" music like:

CONCERTOS UNDER THE STARS by THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA CONDUCTED BY CARMEN DRAGON LEONARD PENNARIO PIANO

My formative years were Kate Smith on Radio, followed by Eartha Kitt (I want To Be Evil - 1953), and Liberace on TV.

The Movie Blackboard Jungle introduced Bill Haley and "Rock Around the Clock" - and the worl has never been the same.

When I graduated from High School,  Band Stand was a Local Philadelphia show hosted by a lech named Bob Horn and Dick Clark was doing silverware commercials on the Midnight movie.

In college, Connie Francis was our musical sweetheart and Chubby Checker gave us the Twist.

Nine years after Bill Haley changed the world, those Moppets from England hit The Toast Of The Town - and the world changed again.

The first Broadway Show album I ever heard was the 6-disk boxed set of "Oklahoma" on 45 RPM.

I entered College to the tunes of My Fair Lady, in a one night layover in NYC in 58 I saw West Side Story, and graduated listening to "Sing Out, Louise!".

Graduate school started with Hello Dolly and ended with Mame.

By the time of Woodstock I had three kids - now that's what I call OLD!

der Brucer

The families first introduction to "HiFi" was when I saved my schekels from my first full time, post HS to buy the newest and bestest o -  a Webcor multi-speed changer housed in the very latest blond mahogany cabinet. (the audio trade show in town was showing something brand new called "Bi-Naural Sound" - then available only in tape machines. I spent all my disposable income on LPs (mainly classical). I didn't realize the influence I was having on the family until my father asked me to "Play the brown one" (Ravel) or Play the one with the snow on the mountains (Grieg).

The local audio show was featuring the latest "Binaural Sound" - then available in a recorder by Pentax - stereo LPs were still two years away!

By first experience with Stereo when I bought a Webcor reel-to-reel stereo tape machine in my Sophomore year in college
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:09:16 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Danise

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:27:25 AM »

Morning all!  A very happy birthday to DR Ann!  Not much to say today.  Toby the Terrible goes to the vet at 11:00.  I hope he is going to be a good boy. 

Vibes to all who need them!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 04:57:56 AM »

Goodbye, March!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 05:12:12 AM »

I liked Mr Johnny Mathis....and I like BEST his entire LP - a collection of Broadway songs.  I can't find the title anywhere, because it's not any of the ones listed....not Broadway Ballads or Broadway Rhythms......because it had If I Had My Druthers on it, and there is no track listing for an album with that song.....also You Are Beautiful and Small World....very nice Broadway stuff.

I liked all of the albums MR BK mentioned in his notes....but I also especially liked Mr Billy Vaughn's albums on DOT....especially the stereo stuff!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 05:17:16 AM »

This is one of my favorite CD's:

One of his last albums "Look What They've Done to My Song" is also outstanding.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 05:37:35 AM »

Mr Vaughn's version of a popular song around these here parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yazSCZC83Q

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 05:37:46 AM »

Off to work.  Oh well.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »

great weekend to all

I plan to read this new memoir that arrived at my door yesterday
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 05:59:28 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 06:00:24 AM »

I'm apparently going from a foie gras cooking demonstration this morning to a haggis-eating competition in the afternoon. That's heaven to hell in a quick jump.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »

TOD: Percy Faith's "Do I Hear a Waltz?" which has been packed with "Subways Are for Sleeping" on CD

― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 06:06:59 AM »

In case Jennifer misses the last posts of yesterday, I think she inquired whether the new book was available as an eBook on Kobo - yes - $3.49.

I don't have a kobo, I have a kindle. But yes it was me who mentioned the kobo (when you asked if kindle, nook, sony were the main ereaders where the ebook could be sold).

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 06:07:35 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Ann. Hope she shows up today to let us know how she's been!

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 06:13:54 AM »

I am super happy my library got like 20 new dvds. And now we are allowed to reserve them. Some i really wanted to see. And some look interesting (have big stars but i was not familiar with them). Has anyone seen any of these?:

Breaking Dawn
Tower Heist
Reel Steel
Drive
Abduction
Courageous
Hugo
Pusss N Boots
Source Code
J Edgar
Limitless
Something borrowed
I do not know how she does it
The Ides of March
Friends with Benefits
Green Latern
Contagion

FJL

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 06:35:01 AM »

Happy birthday, DR Ann

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 06:49:30 AM »

Good morning, all! I stayed uyp to late last night - again! - and now I am dressed and ready to face today's fresh hell. At noon, I am meeting an old friend I've not seen in years for lunch before he sees PIPE DREAM. I think I will then go down to Toyland and putz around until 3:30. I'm taking BK's new memoir with me. I want to be back at City Center by 4:30 to see Rob Berman's parents, who are in from Baltimore this weekend. I missed seeing them when they were here for MERRILY, and I'm very fond of them. I've also got a few CDs to give to Peter Lawrence, the stage manager.

I hope that between today and tomorrow I get a deluge of completed work from my DEAREST ENEMY boys. I yhought we'd have this score cleaned up in six weeks and it's twelve weeks now!

DR DerBrucer, I laughed at your comment around the 101 Strings albums. I always suspected the correct title was more like "25 string" in a studio. I usedto seet hem for $0.98 in supermarkets, and occasionally my well-intentioned but often clueless mother would bring one of them home for me. Occasionally it was one like Tschaikovsky's Waltzes I liked but there was a lot of dreck. I preferred the low-budget Camden recordings of shows, like Hill Bowen conducts REDHEAD or THE MUSIC MAN, but I'd have preferred the more expensive cast albums, which we couldn't afford then.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Ann (a.k.a. DR TCB's "daughter" AND DR Jed's Wife)!! ;D

Ditto!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 07:16:36 AM »

TOD:

My favorite Johnny Mathis number?

Read this short excerpt from my memoir, and you will see:

Paul [Francis Webster] and Jerry Livingston had been hired by Marty Melcher to write a
tune for Julie, a suspense drama that Doris Day was making at MGM in

“Her co-star, Louis Jourdan, convinced her that the song was all
wrong for her,” Webster recalled. “It didn’t fit her image.
“And, I was the one who suggested that Frenchman for the part.”

Rights to the song reverted back to the songwriters. They placed it
with a New York music publisher, who sent it on to Johnny Mathis. The
singer recorded the number, and it became a smash. Years later, it hit
again as a Country/Western entry, sung by Slim Whitman and, years
after that, my wife (#3) Sandy and I danced to it at our wedding.

Its title: “The Twelfth of Never.”
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 07:33:53 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  We are expecting a visit from our DD-i-L Mary Linda today.  Paramedic Rob has to work and she will be shopping nearby with friends.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »

Just in from some overdue gardening. I need to get two cucumber plants I bought into the ground, but I forgot to pick up the manure and sandy soil mixture, so it's off to Lowe's sometime after haggis. maybe the plants will be planted tomorrow.
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 08:05:28 AM »

Well, BK is well aware I adore Percy Faith and have everything he ever did.  Percy remains one of the few Easy Listening artists whose entire oeuvre is out on CD.  I am next to positive he orchestrated Johnny's Twelfth of Never, he did most of the late 50s Mathis albums and received billing with Mathis on a couple of them, like Merry Christmas and Warm.  (Interestingly, he probably would have arranged it for Day, too, had she done it, as she was also on Columbia).

I think Robert Farnon is another exquisite arranger, another one who, like Percy, would invent all sorts of beautiful interior lines and tie them all up in neat little musical bows. 

BK, there are a LOT of Dutton Vocalion 2fers by a number of fantastic people available, including (umm.....) Edmundo Ros and Mantovani.  They all feature great mastering.  I have a bunch of Stanley Black 2fers which are fantastic.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »

TOD - Percy Faith Broadway Bouquet, which I still have on LP, along with Henry Mancini's Six Hours Past Sunset and A Warm Shade of Ivory.  And I suppose a lot of the Cincinnati Pops could be considered easy listening - Rodgers & Hammerstein Songbook for Orchestra and their Andrew Lloyd Weber albums come to mind. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »

Percy's Bouquet series (there are three I can think of right off the top of my head, but there might be a couple more) featured his string section, without brass or winds (at least for the most part).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

KevinH

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »

Good morning!  The TOD led me to youtube, where I clicked on "Theme from A Summer Place," always a favorite.  And somehow that led to videos by the group The Seekers (Georgy Girl, A World of Our Own), which I watched for about 20 minutes.  There's a clip from 2010--the female singer, Judith Durham, sounded almost the same as in the 60's--just great!

KevinH

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »

Oh, yeah.  I didn't come in to that money, after all. 

Does anyone know if I win anything with two matching numbers?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »

Fingers crossed for Mr & Mrs Druxy or.....

NO MORE ACCIDENT VIBES!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up