Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST OF JUNE  (Read 24029 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE LAST OF JUNE
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2004, 11:22:08 AM »

Answers:

A.   If your observed doing “it” with another – they gotcha! If they catch A&B doing “it”, they often suggest that they will be treated more leniently if they will reveal the names of others with whom they’ve done “it”.

This whole thing seems so ridiculous, but how exactly could they catch you doing "it"?  I mean aren't people discreet?  They don't follow people around off campus, so how do they catch you?

I've heard of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".   If they don't want to advocate gay behavior that is one thing.  But in this day and age wouldn't it make more sense for them to just NOT ASK and not throw anyone out.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2004, 11:23:03 AM »

My BK question:  If you could only earn a living performing one of your many talents which one would it be:  acting, singing, directing, composing, record producing, writing?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2004, 11:25:09 AM »

Mike Todd produced Mexican Hayride, and it ran at the Winter Garden for nearly 500 performances. June Havoc played the female bullfighter. In her song "There Must Be Someone For Me," she muses: "Ah! La vie, la vie, la vie ..... you'd be dead without it."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2004, 11:25:58 AM »

Like Drango and Female on the Beach and also a western I can't remember the name of - maybe The Jayhawkers?  Was he in Toy Tiger or was that David Janssen?

Update on The Rights saga:

Tammy's mother has now contacted Kenneth Lonergan's agent directly - it turns out the gentleman at Dramatist's Play Service has NOT faxed him our appeal letter from Monday - which means said gentleman lied to us yesterday.  We have faxed it directly.  I don't sit well with lies, but more about that in a minute.

Meanwhile, the other rights holder for our backup play refuses to return calls.  Will not call back.  At my behest, Tammy's mother is about to leave him another message that will say the following: You have not returned my calls and are, in fact, blatantly avoiding them.  You folks offered us this play, proferred a contract, which we signed and returned with payment, prior to your saying there had been a mistake and the rights were not available suddenly and magically.  We have put a large amount of money down on our theater, which is non-refundable and which was put down based on the contract you sent us and the verbal agreement that the rights were absolutely available.  Therefore, we're simply telling you we are doing the play.  Period.  If you have a problem with that, you have until the end of the business day today to call me.  If we need to get legal counsel we will - we have a contract, end of story.  Also, we will go public with what you've done because we feel you are doing all of these things without the author having a clue as to your business practices.  We will shine a very bright light on you.  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2004, 11:26:48 AM »

http://www.njagyouth.org/Liberty_.htm

Try this website to see what this weekend will be like in NYC
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2004, 11:27:31 AM »

My BK question:  If you could only earn a living performing one of your many talents which one would it be:  acting, singing, directing, composing, record producing, writing?

That is a HARD question!  If the key phrase, however, is EARN A LIVING, then I can at least narrow it down to record producing and writing.  At least for now.  That might change if I give it more thought.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2004, 11:31:20 AM »

BK - At least you gave away the author.  Is Tammy's mother someone we should have heard of?

It was Jeff Chandler in "Toy Tiger" along with young Tim Hovey who also starred with Charelton Heston in "The Private War of Major Benson".  Both those films used to show up regularly on American Movie Classics, a station that is for all intents and purposes dead with one of its host now doing stock in New Jersey and the other running for office in Kentucky.

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2004, 11:38:35 AM »

Juliana: She's been so busy with Wizard of Oz that we haven't had time to discuss the journal.  When she gets back mid-July, we will for sure.

Oh. :(

I thought that she would be writing about the Wizard of Oz.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2004, 11:43:53 AM »

Wow BK, way to go.  Sounds like Tammy's mother is a force!  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2004, 11:44:00 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I just got back from a brief run out to CVS (for soap, shampoo and Claritin) and Starbucks (for some coffee (duh!) and a Black Bottom Cupcake!).  Oh, and I got a shot of Valencia in my coffee too - I really do like that combination of coffee and orange.

*It is, however, kind of scary just how some caffeine can really perk you up.  I'm feeling quite bright-eyed and bushy-tailed right now.  -And, actually, the outside temp, the heat, actually felt good too.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2004, 11:53:01 AM »

Tammy's mother isn't quite the force yet - she's afraid to burn bridges, but I think within the next couple of hours she will BE the force.  She's first trying to go through the other author's (backup play) agent, which happens to be William Morris here in LA, who I'm also with (different agent, but the same soup).  But if nothing happens she'll make the call we want her to make.  Tammy's mother has worked at Primary Stages and the Variety Arts Theater, and for several different producers.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2004, 11:56:28 AM »

There are now two bunnies.  My bunny has a friend!
And how quickly can you learn to count beyond two?   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2004, 11:59:18 AM »

BK, if you want the call to be made, why don't you make it yourself?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2004, 12:03:41 PM »

I've heard of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".   If they don't want to advocate gay behavior that is one thing.  But in this day and age wouldn't it make more sense for them to just NOT ASK and not throw anyone out.
The full title was supposed to be "Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue."  The result instead has been that men and women in the military ARE asked, and ARE pursued.  Sense has nothing to do with the issue.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2004, 12:09:14 PM »

I will ultimately make the call if necessary - but since I haven't spoken to any of these people it would sort of come out of nowhere - which is fine, if that's what it takes.

I see td lurking there.  Post, my boy.  And also, check your PMs.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2004, 12:11:37 PM »

Re furniture:

The only piece (or pieces) of heirloom furniture I own is the head and foot boards from my Grandfather's bed.  (The rest of the bed self-destructed long ago.)  They have no real value, other than that they were his and are now mine.  The headboard is still serving that function with my new bed, between the bed and one of my room's windows.  The footboard is located below the other window, more decorative than functional, but looking very good there.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2004, 12:15:48 PM »

AMC has been dead for years now...ever since they got rid of Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney and started showing commercials and worse films...films that aren't necessarily classics.   Nick, who I know, had a column in the Cincinnati Post three times a week and was a DJ on one of the local Cincy stations before he began his run for Congress in Northern Kentucky.  He still crops up on the Good Times Network, introducing the classic Warners TV detective and cowboy shows.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2004, 12:16:52 PM »

Yes, I've seen a wild rabbit here in the city of New York.  I was bicycling on Ward's Island.  Very few people ever visit Ward's and Randall's Island (they've become connected since I started visiting them, but they're smack dab between Manhattan, Queens and the Bronx.  A lot of people ride over them, high up on the well-named Triborough Bridge.

The woman who married my grandfather in the sixties played a lead in Hogan's Goat for much of its run.  Perhaps some of you saw Lilyan Wilder.

I've been reading the notes quickly, since I'd no time at all yesterday.  Is it true we're to be getting a weekly sexy picture of Allison Frasier?  I can't wait.

Last night, a friend gathered a bunch of us to Don't Tell Mama so he could sing a song to his girlfriend.  Except the pianist there didn't feel comfortable sightreading Jason Robert Brown, so I was pressed into service.  At the end of the number, (Next Ten Minutes) he called the girlfriend up and proposed marriage to her as I underscored.  She said yes, tearfully.

Ask BK:
As you know, I've been savoring the Kritzer books very slowly, taking my time with them.  (I've now passed page 300 of Kritzer Time), so now I want to know something that many already know:
What was the deal with the CDs that went with each book?  Could you only get them if you bought through this here website?
Can one still get them?
Will one be able to get them ever again?
What was on them?  (I know some of Benjamin's early songs must have been on one.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2004, 12:23:06 PM »

The CDs feature songs that are referenced in the book - five songs per CD, and the Kritzer Time CD also features four of Benjamin's songs.  They were only available here at HHW, but I'm happy to send them if you send me your address, although it will have to be a CDR of the first, as we've run out of that one.

td

• td
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2004, 12:33:04 PM »

I feed the rabbits in my back yard.  Of course they love the clover which grows naturally, but they also get all of my vegetable scraps.  Minx and the rabbits have an understanding; they are her friends, she'll stand wathing a bunny while it nibbles the clover without ever drawing her leash taut.
I've never asked if any of the rabbits were gay.
I'm viewing a very strange -well, no stranger than MONSTER - - Australian film called CHOPPER.  It stars Eric (THE HULK, TROY) as a notorious criminal.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 12:34:32 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2004, 12:38:29 PM »

There is a great organization called Parents And Friends of Gays And Lesbians (PFLAG) which specializes in counseling families with gay children (and helping gay children with less-than accepting families. They run support groups that address the “let’s read this book” and “let’s see this movie together” and “can we just talk about it, please”.

I am proud to say that the mother of DR Jay and myself was a charter member of the South Orange (CA) chapter of PFLAG, and was its treasurer from its inception until very recently.  It's a terrific organization.

There's a funny story that goes with this.....

As one of the PFLAG fundraisers, they were selling those plastic rainbow mobiles (the ones where the plastic is translucent, concentric ovals).  Nice idea, but not necessarily everyone's taste.  Not mine, and not my dear partner's.  

Just before we were moving up to Rochester, we had some dear friends over for dinner, in the midst of boxes and piles of things to throw out.  (I felt a bit guilty about throwing out something my mother gave me...)  My friend Larry, who has known my mother for many years, and who exchanges holiday cards with her, happened to notice said mobile.  I told him I plum forgot that my mother sent one for their house upstate.

"Oh, how sweet....blah blah blah..."

And we go on to chat about other things and whatnot....

As they were about to leave, Larry mentioned that he would dash a thank you note to my mother later that week......

PLEASE DON'T!, I practically scream.

"Why not?"

(Said sheepishly....)  "'cause she didn't really send it for you, and we just can't throw out something that was for a good cause....but it's hideous and we don't want it, but have a problem throwing it out....."

"It IS hideous, isn't it?"

PS, we tossed it down the incinerator when we walked them to the elevator.

PPS:  Jay, please don't tell mom......

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2004, 12:39:46 PM »

I think that was the longest post I have ever written here at HHW.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2004, 12:41:46 PM »

I'm viewing a very strange -well, no stranger than MONSTER - - Australian film called CHOPPER.  It stars Eric (THE HULK, TROY) as a notorious criminal.

DR TD:  Just because you bring up the arcane film you are viewing does not gloss over the fact that you posted a tangential beefcake photo along with it! ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2004, 12:50:25 PM »

And how quickly can you learn to count beyond two?   ;D

If they're gay bunnies, counting "beyond two" isn't required.  Of course, with dinner parties, they will want to observe 2, 4, 6, 8 to avoid having an odd number at the table.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 12:54:50 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2004, 12:51:30 PM »

But, Stuart, if I had wanted to post a beefcake picture of Bana, there are plenty of them. . . .if you look in all the right places.   ;) Casual is not beefcake, that i know of, and Mr. Bana looks nothing like that in CHOPPER. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2004, 12:56:50 PM »

MR BK - if the show you are talking about is THE LOBBY HERO....I do know the man who produced it in Toronto if that is of any help to you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2004, 01:06:20 PM »

The ORIGINAL play we were going to do is Lonergan's This is Our Youth.  The backup play isn't by Lonergan.  I've just written an e-mail to the rights holder for the backup play - strong, but nice and impassioned and that e-mail is being forwarded to the author.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2004, 01:10:45 PM »

Fingers crossed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2004, 01:12:55 PM »

Isn't it amazing how something that should be so simple should suddenly become SO complicated?  Especially when said something is really a BENEFIT to said person making it so complicated?

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2004, 01:18:51 PM »

At the end of the number, (Next Ten Minutes) he called the girlfriend up and proposed marriage to her as I underscored.  She said yes, tearfully.

I read this three times and I kept thinking you meant HE CALLED HER ON THE PHONE.  And I kept thinking "why would he propose to her over the phone?"

Anybody else think that?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up