Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST OF JUNE  (Read 24245 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE LAST OF JUNE
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2004, 01:19:10 PM »

In addition to watching a movie together, the son could find a book for his parents (or either parent) to read at a quiet, less-confrontational time. The book that came to mind is Consenting Adult by Laura Z. Hobson (who wrote Gentleman's Agreement). I imagine the Marlo Thomas movie Matt suggested is based on this book.

Yes, it is. I have the book. The book is more detailed but both cover the same basic story, of course. I believe she based this on her own experiences with her son.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2004, 01:23:55 PM »

I read this three times and I kept thinking you meant HE CALLED HER ON THE PHONE.  And I kept thinking "why would he propose to her over the phone?"

Anybody else think that?

Guilty.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2004, 01:25:43 PM »

I agree with those who chose FEMALE ON THE BEACH as my favorite Jeff Chandler movie. Of course, he's just fine, but the movie belongs to Joan Crawford giving one of her most grandiose performances. The material isn't really worthy of such effort, but watching it now, it's the height of camp (which always works when the folks involved believed what they were making was earnest drama - just like VALLEY OF THE DOLLS). There is a mystery of sorts that's not too difficult to solve but is still OK.

The other Jeff Chandler picture I like is IRON MAN. Rock Hudson is in that also in a supporting role.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2004, 01:34:06 PM »

Guilty.

::hangs head, sheepishly::

Me, too.

anonymous
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2004, 01:58:01 PM »

A question for BK or anyone who can answer. Just got an email from Denny Miller.  He has heard from a bookdealer friend of mine who wants to write a book review for the book and handle the book for him on Amazon.  Denny was curious what sort of split would come from Amazon/author/dealer?  Anybody know?  I don't.

It's not a big deal,  because I know the dealer is reputable.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2004, 01:59:48 PM »

Did Denny self-pub?  His publisher, no matter who, should automatically have it on amazon.  But amazon will list it no matter what.  I'm not sure what their split is, but I do know that Denny can set the price and get what he needs to get.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2004, 02:01:15 PM »

Valley of the Dolls reminds me... The new too trendy by far but cute restaurant with the Keane paintings where I ate last night (BREATHE)...had very attractive young female parking people out front waiting to take the patrons' too trendy cars. The sign in front of their stand, of course, read "VALET OF THE DOLLS"...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2004, 02:01:16 PM »

Feels like I've just had the last spoonful of a C. C. Brown hot fudge sundae I've been lingering over for so long, I've lost account of the time.  It's been delicious; it's been a reverie, but I've now finished Kritzer Time.

A nostalgic moment that might not have hit other readers as deeply as it did me was when young Benjamin discovers some chords that don't normally go together, accidentally, and writes a song using them.  Those were the days!

There were SO many similarities, of course, between my life and Benjamin Kritzer's.  Such similar geography, and while I was never in to movies to nearly that extent I did, as a boy, take myself to theatre of interest.  By then, the Shubert had been built, which was much more convenient (bike-able).  And now they're tearing it down.

The big difference, as I see it, is that whenever I wanted something, be it a stop-watch or a radio, I was always told we couldn't afford it.  Soon, I learned to stop asking.  As I got older, I noticed my father's penchant for buying himself expensive gifts whenever it took his fancy (ooh, a Cy Coleman reference), whether he was in the chips or not, and my mother's clucking disapproval.

I've had such a wonderful time with the Kritzer books, cried out loud over the epilogue, and very much look forward to the upcoming mysterious book (and record).
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2004, 02:12:42 PM »

Thanks, Noel, for your lovely words.  Now that you've finished the trilogy please feel free to write more lovely words over at amazon.com, and please cut and paste THESE lovely words onto the Kritzer board right here.

And remember, C.C. Brown's hot fudge IS available online and it's ever so yummilicious.  

The Shubert has been closed for over three years now.   They have been 'tearing it down' ever since and yet it is still there, standing empty.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2004, 02:13:20 PM »

Same thing with the Tiffany Theater on Sunset.  Closed for three years because it was going to be torn down and an office building put up.  Still there, standing empty.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2004, 02:17:53 PM »

Also, we will go public with what you've done because we feel you are doing all of these things without the author having a clue as to your business practices.  We will shine a very bright light on you.  

Watch dog assures you that the law's the law
No exception to the rule, Watch dog ain't no fool.
Watch dog will throw his little light on you.
If some folks don't toe the line, Watch dog's light will shine!

::Guy Haines Singers::

Shine, shine, shine....

Charles Pogue

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2004, 02:20:41 PM »

Denny is self-published.  I don't know that the book is on Amazon or not, but this dealer...who I just talked to will also carry them in his store and is talking about getting Ingraham's to handle them.  Knowing this guy for years, I expect he'll give Denny a great deal and take little or nothing for himself.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2004, 02:22:52 PM »

Remember that early scene in the movie ROSIE where Rosalind Russell is on stage singing "Everybody Loves My Baby" (no dubbing!) in a theater her character is trying to keep from being torn down? What theater was that in LA? Is it still there.

And how about ROSIE on DVD, Universal?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 02:23:32 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2004, 02:23:28 PM »

That's cool.  I'm just curious - did he do the whole thing himself, or did he do it through a company?  There are several online - if he did it through one of those, they've most likely already listed it on Ingram's and amazon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2004, 02:39:49 PM »

Does the book have an ISBN number?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2004, 02:49:19 PM »

DR CP, will Denny Miller be doing any promotions for his book? I know that I would like very much to get it and if he might possibly make an appearance in the Portland metro area that would be fun!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2004, 02:49:37 PM »

The book has an ISBN number; published by someone company called TO HEALTH WITH YOU PUBLISHERS,LLC out of Las Vegas where Denny lives and the name of the publishers sounds conspicuously like a Denny Miller pun.  The book was designed by Brian Bohnett of Mad King Publishers in Chicago.  Brian is a member of the Burroughs Bibliophiles and I think, through Mad King, re-publishes privately Edgar Rice Burroughs' novels.  So if Denny's book has been printed up by him privately he may not know all the ins and outs of Ingrams and Amazon.  The ISBN is 0-9753917-0-4.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2004, 02:53:11 PM »

DRCP if Mr Miller has a professional who has offered to help him promote his book, I think he should take advantage of it.  

Right now.....if I wanted to buy his book on Amazon.com, I couldn't because there is no listing.  If someone knows how to do that and all the other things listed....and you know him as reputable....I say go for it.  A book without a reader is like a night without a star.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2004, 02:53:17 PM »

JRand...are you asleep?

The topic is Jeff Chandler pictures.

Ever heard of "Sign of the Pagan"?

der Brucer (ever the prompter)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2004, 02:59:48 PM »

Does the book have an ISBN number?

Okay, here is your library lesson of the day (from the library employee):  "ISBN" stands for International Standard Book Number.  To say (or write) "ISBN number" is redundant.  It's not an "International Standard Book Number number."  This ends your library lesson of the day!  You're now free to go about your lives knowing this most unimportant bit of information. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2004, 03:02:47 PM »

1. On topic - Jeff Chandler
2. Equal opportunity picture - Beefcake meets Cheesecake

Chandler quote (from Meredy:

Personal Quote: Chandler told columnist Sheila Graham about his role in Jeanne Eagles (1957): "I thought that for once I could keep my shirt on and not have to shave my chest. But today, for a man to be a hit on the screen, he has to take his shirt off."

der Brucer

« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 03:26:27 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2004, 03:07:13 PM »

LOL DRGEORGE....yes, of course...sort of like Manos: The Hands of Fate....yes.

Yes DERBRUCER....but SIGN OF THE PAGAN was the answer to a question I asked MR BK today and since he hadn't answered yet, I hadn't pointed it out.

Yes Mr Jeff Chandler and Mr Jack Palance (as Genghis Khan) with Miss Allison Hayes in a supporting role....who dispatched Mr Palance with a sword at the movie's end.  Ta-da!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2004, 03:08:12 PM »

I can't see the picture in your post DerBrucer!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2004, 03:09:37 PM »

More Jeff Chandler tid bits:

(From Meredy's Fan Site)

When his friend Sammy Davis Jr. lost an eye in an accident and was in danger of losing the other, Chandler offered to give Davis one of his own eyes.

IMDB has an interesting picture of Chandler with Tony Curtis and Sammy Davis, Jr. all wearing eye patches.

Jeff Chandler died tragically at age 42. He injured his back in April of 1961 while in the Philippines making what turned out to be his last film Merrill's Marauders [1961). He entered a Culver City hospital and had surgery for a herniated spinal disc on May 13, 1961. There were severe complications, an artery was damaged and Chandler hemorrhaged. In a seven and a half hour emergency operation over and above the original surgery, he was given an enormous amount of blood, 55 pints. Another operation followed, date unknown, where he received an additional 20 pints of blood. An average adult has about 14 to 18 pints of blood, so his entire blood volume was replaced 4 to 5 times! Chandler fought hard to live, but expired June 17, 1961. His death was deemed malpractice and resulted in a large lawsuit and settlement for his children.

This condradicts other sources which give "blood poisoning" as the cause of death.

Who's the gal on the right?

der Brucer (still pluggin')
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 03:39:17 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2004, 03:10:43 PM »

I can't see the pics....only red x's!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2004, 03:12:49 PM »

Am I remembering correctly about The Jayhawkers and Chandler?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2004, 03:14:57 PM »

Yes, I am - Jeff, Fess Parker and Nicole Maurey, directed by Melvin Frank (!) and written by A.I. Bezzerides (screenplay for Kiss Me Deadly, I believe).  The other western I'm vaguely remembering as a Chandler is Thunder in the Sun.  Let me check on that one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2004, 03:16:04 PM »

My memory amazes me - Thunder in the Sun, Jeff and Susan Hayward.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2004, 03:20:34 PM »

The Jayhawkers was my favorite of the two!

MR BK you didn't answer my Dinah! question.  ;-(  posted many hours ago.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2004, 03:21:30 PM »

PPS:  Jay, please don't tell mom......

Oh.  An almost Kander & Ebb reference.

And a delectable invitation to blackmail!

:D
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up