Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SODA POP  (Read 11017 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SODA POP
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:39:06 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had pop, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently drinking soda pop from bottles, which they think is quite MOOvelous.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SODA POP
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:39:41 AM »

And the word of the day is: ASEPTIC!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:55:52 AM »

Good morning, all! I am still on NYC time, so I'm finding that I do not feel sleepy until around 1am here. As a result, I'm not feeling like getting out of bed before 9, and I don't like that. Last night, I dreamed about my mother and my best friend from grade school. I blame the Guinness.

Today, Dublin is having the remnants of a hurricane: the sky is dark and rain coming down in buckets. A block away from the club, there is a damp celebration for the returning Olympiads. I will finish my postcards, bide my time, and wander over to Walton's about 1pm for rehearsal. I want to meet Rachel at 2, discuss her character, and help her with her dialogue before everyone arrives at 2:30. I'm hoping that the rain proves no problem to Jim or Kim in arriving from London.

DR  Jose, I'm sorry too hear about your friend's death.

DR Danise, I hope your interview goes well, whether or not you decide to take the job if it's offered.

DR KevinH, Annalene is wonderful, with a beautiful light soprano, and she's a good actress. Kim recommended her for the role when we lost the singer I was considering, and I think we lucked out.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Good Wednesday Vibes for all the Drs and theirs! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:41:30 AM »

I just ran into Annalene, her mother, and her 6-month old baby Harry, who is the cutest, most adorable child I've seen in some time. I want to take him back to New York with me. Annalene says she could use the rest.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 03:44:21 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 04:30:40 AM »

Good morning, all. 

Coffee.

FJL

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »

Jose - so sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

FJL

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:36:56 AM »

Danise - i know it's silly, but I have my note to be sending mental vibes at 10:30.  They may not help, but know that there's love for you coming from NYC.

FJL

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 04:37:54 AM »

BK - Are you still having dinner with us here on Mon. night?   Are you planning dessert at joe Allen's after?

FJL

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:57:05 AM »

Re theater folks and pop music -

So interesting, from Jose's comment last night, the converse of what he said last night is that I'm totally amazed that there are lots of young writers in theater who almost take pride in having separated themselves from listening to pop music. 

it seems like you have to practically make an effort to keep away from at least being exposed to the pop music that plays everywhere, to not every now and then hear a pop song that makes you say "ooh, I like that some aspect of that number or that vocal or that harmony and maybe want to hear it again" like a Katy Perry song or a Lady gaga or Beyonce song or Adele or Nicki Minaj song, etc. these days or the equivalents in the various eras.

All a question of frame of reference, though.  Maybe so much of some theater professionals' musical life and job is about knowing the songs that they have to play for auditions, let's say, and a smaller percentage of the music in their lives is about pure unadulterated enjoyment, where their actor friends and the people who work in theater offices like casting agencies get to listen more for pure enjoyment.

But the split between pop and theater is really a past thirty years phenomenon.  Before 1980 or so, pop charts and club charts and the theatre world (even around EVITA, and even LA CAGE still had stray remnants with "I AM WHAT I AM" disco version, and CHESS may be the last to hit in U.S. with One Night in Bangkok) were much closer together.  Big split since then. 

Cyndi Lauper's show is trying to bring it back with a single sung by Cyndi Lauper herself from KINKY BOOTS, and it's working on the dance charts - pop/theater lovers are hopeful.

Doug R

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 05:51:57 AM »

Now that the Olympics are over, we have reverted back to the usual dull, wet, British weather.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 05:55:10 AM »

Good morning to all.

I hope everyone has a great day.

As for me I am in the traveling mode. I am off to Montreal to see the folks and will be back on Monday. Of course I will checkin as much as I can.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 05:58:43 AM »

My Ask BK Question

What is the ratio of single sales vs vendors of a title like the Strange Love of Martha Ivers?
Would a title be able sell out if you only sold to individuals?
Never stop dreaming.

Doug R

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 06:15:48 AM »

I've just had lunch at the coffee shop; a ham and cheese toasted sandwich with a cappuccino, which makes me feel much better after only having had a Weetabix for breakfast.

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:40 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  I'll be away for much of the day, lunching with the volunteer administrators and shopping for tomorrow night's potluck.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:22:21 AM »

We've got (boink boink) STEAM HEAT!!!

There was a wonderful thunderstorm in the middle of the night with some rain, and it didn't cool things down a bit.  Throw some more coal in the boiler.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:55:09 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 06:25:08 AM »

I'm listening to Donald and Bruce. I must say, as everyone says, when you hear side to side comparisons it really is like hearing a different album. Sally and John and Don't Look at Me, wow, what a difference.

I have both CDs at home but it's too hard to listen side by side so I'm glad I'm getting the change through Donald's show.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:53 AM »

Good morning, all.

I'm hoping to listen to the podcast today. I have downloaded on my MP3.

My sympathies, Jose, on the loss of your friend.

Job vibes for Danise and DakotaCelt.

And Happy Hump Day vibes for all of us.

By the way, Elmore, don't blame the Guinness, thank the Guinness.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 06:40:03 AM »

Soda: My favorite soda as a kid was Wink, a grapefruit-flavored drink that Canada Dry made. I loved it. I thought I had lost that flavor for good -- and I don't really drink much soda anymore, except occasionally as a mixer.

Anyway, here in San Antonio we get a lot of Mexican sodas because they're still made with sugar and not corn syrup. All of the Cokes are the old recipe and still taste as bitter as they do sweet. They also have a better foam and sizzle on the tongue. One of the Coke products is real Fresca, not a diet version. I had one and, wonder of wonders, it tastes like Wink used to.

I'm not supposed to have that much sugar, but on a special occasion, maybe twice a year, I treat myself. With some street tacos topped with a habanero salsa, it's little corner of heaven.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 06:48:31 AM »

DR John G., I'd heard about some of the great sodas in Texas being original sugar formula, and I have to say I'm something of a fanatic about that.  I try not to abuse them, too, my regular soda drinking being diet ones.  Fortunately, we have access here to Mexican-bottled Cokes and a few others, and there's nothing like that first sip out of a chilled glass bottle of original Coke to transport me, in the Proustian way, back to the year I identify as the start of my lifelong love affair with The Real Thing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 06:51:27 AM »

I gave up soda drinks for my diet about four years ago.....so I haven't had one for quite awhile.

However - when I was little, I liked 7-Up best.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 06:52:44 AM »

There's that piano in Losing My Mind. Side to Side, what a difference!

FJL

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »

Vibes to Dakota celt as well!

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 07:11:08 AM »

Even though I grew up in Detroit, where Vernor's is a staple, I never liked it.  I drank a lot of Coke and also liked another Detroit product, Faygo, especially the Red Pop and Rock 'n' Rye flavors.  I've all but given up sugary sodas and now drink a lightly flavored sparkling water from Canada Dry.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 07:25:46 AM »

I've always been a fan of Orange Crush...or its off-shoots.  But, now I drink the "Diet" version.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »

The winners of the annual Bulwer-Lytton bad writing contest have been announced, and there's a San Antonio man with hilarious entry:

http://huff.to/RPsQ1Z
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 07:27:32 AM »

We watched the 1936 version of SHOW BOAT last night.

Great movie, but they cut out "Life Upon the Wicked Stage".

>:(
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 07:31:43 AM »

Vernor's has had such a cult following over the years, thanks to its unavailability in the places so many people from the Midwest have moved to.  And boy, talk about the pleasure of sipping from a chilled glass bottle -- there was nothing like that first "sting" of Vernor's, for the longest time the only ginger ale to actually have the taste of ginger.

Nowadays, the many "ginger beers" on the market have a much stronger bite and fuller flavor than Vernor's, but it's still a nostalgic treat to have it when I'm in Ohio.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 07:33:19 AM »

I gave up soda drinks for my diet about four years ago.....so I haven't had one for quite awhile.

However - when I was little, I liked 7-Up best.

Wish I could be this disciplined.  I've certainly tried to cut down my intake and have certainly cut back on cokes (or rather diet cokes).  Drinking lots of diet ginger ale these days or low-cal Hawaiian punch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up