Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE  (Read 26365 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE
« on: July 10, 2004, 12:00:59 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've understood their poeticism, and now it is time to post until the paucity of cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 12:21:36 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 12:10:10 AM »

Pasta alfredo - with a chicken breast.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 12:10:21 AM »

First post - huzzah!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 12:11:04 AM »

Hmm...

So you say I'll have a lot to learn...

Hmm...

;)

Well, time for me to rest up for tomorrow's auditions - paucity or not paucity - I must be rested for the auditions.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 12:11:17 AM »

Why did I stay up so late?  You ask....because I have just won this on EBAY!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 12:12:04 AM »

This is a terrific pose....although my favorite "John" moment in the movie is probably his dance demonstration!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 12:13:05 AM »

OHH!!!  And while going through the scores on Chris' shelves, we actually came across some scores and music that I loaned him years ago!  Now I have them back! :)

-Yet one more sign/reason that I should be out here in LA right now! :D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 12:16:34 AM »

And as for Eyetalian food:

Pumpkin gnocchi with sage butter
Orechiette with sausage and brocolli rabe
Spaghetti with a true bolognese (love the combination of a beef-tomato sauce and cream)
Tuscan steak - a simple steak topped with a rosemary and garlic infused olive oil.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 12:17:05 AM »

And once again...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 12:25:42 AM »

Topic of the day?  Simple:  simple lasagna.  No carrots, no eggplant, no spinach and especially no cottage cheese.  Just a simple meat sauce, ricotta with egg and parsley, noodles and oodles of cheese! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 12:30:27 AM »

I have returned from A Little Night Music and, in a word, it is simply spendid.

This is the same production that the New York City Opera mounted a couple of years ago.  It is comprised of sliding panels, suggestions of the theatre at which Desiree appears and the facade of Madame Armfeldt's chateau dropping from the flies, and room settings sliding in from the wings.  The costumes are all quite lavish.

Though I might cavil about the propriety of staging a piece like ALNM in a three thousand seat theatre, if this devil's bargain supplies an unamplified opera house-sized orchestra, (conducted by John DeMain, no less), then I say hooray.

This show is directed by Mr. Scott Ellis and choreographed by Miss Susan Stroman, and I am happy to report that neither of them leaves fingerprints.  There is complete reliance on the book and score to convey the humor, romance and pathos that are present in ample quantity in ALNM, and no descent into broad humor or obvious stage business.

Whoever handled the casting is probably the one person (beyond Messieurs Sondheim, Wheeler and Bergman) who is most deserving of laurels for this production, as each and every player is perfectly suited to his or her part.

Of all the actors, Miss Zoe Caldwell, as Madame Armfeldt, provides the most memorable performance.  It's a great role, with great lines and a great song, and Miss Caldwell is riveting every moment she is on stage, even (as in the dinner scene) when she hasn't much to do and there's a lot of business going on around her.  How she conveys with body language the fond memories of past dalliances as they pass through her mind is a lesson in acting of itself.

Miss Judith Ivey (as Desiree) and Mr. Victor Garber (as Fredrik) have wonderful chemistry together.  Miss Ivey's singing voice is somewhat reminiscent of that of Miss Glynnis Johns in its timbre, though Miss Ivey is the stronger singer.  Mr. Marc Kudisch (as Carl-Magnus) is wonderfully blustery, and Miss Michele Pawk (as Charlotte) exhibits perfect timing in her somewhat earthy personification of a Countess.  (Charlotte rivals Madame Armfeldt for the number of zinger lines she has.)  Miss Laura Benanti (as Anne) displays a fine singing voice and ditzy girlishness with aplomb, and Mr. Danny Gurwin (as Henrik) carries the role's high tessitura quite well and is effective in conveying the character's self-conflict.  The ensemble is strong and provides excellent support.

I might add, too, that for once I was at a show where the sound design is well done.  The volume is set just high enough so the actors can be heard clearly.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 10:14:03 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 12:41:33 AM »

One Italian summertime (oh, a George Gershwin reference) dish that I really like but seldom see on menus is vitello tonnato.  The combination of veal and tuna probably doesn't tickle the fancy of the culinarily unadventurous, but I like it!

Abbondanza!  (Oh, now it's a Frank Loesser reference.)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 06:17:58 AM »

Thank you for your thoughts on A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, DR Jay. The cast is made up of some of my favorite stage actors who all have stage presence and talent in spades. I've never heard Zoe Caldwell sing, so that would have been one of the major inducements of this production for me if I had had the chance to see it.

Who is playing Petra and how was "The Miller's Son," for me one of the most involving songs in the entire SOndheim canon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 06:19:36 AM »

I will at some point today put in THE DAY OF THE LOCUST. I haven't seen it since it first played theaters, so this reunion is much anticipated.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 06:20:55 AM »

I do love Italian food, but other than simple spaghetti with meat sauce, I never cook it for myself, so I can't give any recipes for the TOD.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 07:02:23 AM »

Some  A Susanne Blakelee pix pic:

(Third in from the left)

der Brucer

« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 09:49:27 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 07:08:27 AM »

Yesterday Robin posted (in reference to "King Arthur"):

And England is pretty much a shithole. The only break in the overcast skies are as the final battle is being waged, and the sun starts shining through...it's symbolism, get it?

Not symbolism, realism - only in a fantasy does the sun shine brightly in England.

der Brucer

(speaking of England reminds me of this bit of precise metre and well-tuned rhyme):

England swings like a pendulum do
Bobbies on bicycles, two by two
Westminster Abbey, the tower of Big Ben
The rosy red cheeks of the little children

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 07:24:19 AM »

Jay---
I saw the same production of ALNM at City Opera with a mostly different cast, but you got the best two from that production: Marc and Michelle.  City Opera had Jeremy Irons and Juliet Stephenson and they were miked very poorly while the rest of the cast's miking was not even noticable.  As far as I can remember, they used "supertitles" for lyrics but not for dialogue.  Were supertitles used in LA?  If an opera is not in English, then I like supertitles, but for something sung in English I don't think they are needed.  They also used them for SWEENY TODD and will be using them this season for CANDIDE and R&H's CINDERELLA.  It just makes for lazy listening.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 08:05:12 AM »

I agree. Supertitles for English-language productions is absurd.

I really want SINGERS in the parts for A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. Desiree is really the only one of the principals who can be cast with an actress first who can also carry a tune. Jeremy Irons' brand of talk/sing is just not my cup of tea for A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 08:29:59 AM »

I'm probably not going to get a chance to see ALNM, a shame, as I'd love to say hey to Michele, one of my favorite people.  

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  MattH, do run Day of the Locust - I haven't seen it since it came out, and I really didn't care for it then, and I'm curious to see if anything has changed.  For some reason, the new DVD has eluded me - my little store has gotten the other Paramount releases of that week but not that one.

Emily

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2004, 08:32:53 AM »

Gnocchi!

arghalaghralgharlagh
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2004, 08:32:57 AM »

Oh, and carbonara is my favorite Eyetalian dish (aside from Monica Vitti), but it's a hard dish to get right, so it's chancy to order.  There's a little joint near me, Mezzo Mondo, that does it very well (it's not on the menu, but the chef will make it if you ask), and the best is at Dan Tana's.  The California Pizza Kitchen had it for awhile and it was surprisingly good and very popular.  Naturally, they removed it from their menu.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2004, 09:10:37 AM »

Good Morning!

Hmm... A beautiful Saturday morning here in LA...

What to do?  What to do??...

;)

*So, is a "A Paucity of People" the companion piece to "Multitudes of Amys"?

Time to warm up the fingers!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2004, 09:18:49 AM »

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a Saturday on a non-holiday weekend.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2004, 09:37:48 AM »

Well, a paucity of people has proven to be prophetic this morning.  My goodness, there were a lot a "P" words in that sentence.  In any case, I'm off to auditions so keep the home fries burning until my return.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 09:39:12 AM »

Good morning. I've had complaints from the management about my paucity of posts. So here I am -- POSTING. I am now going to have some oatmeal and write (not about the oatmeal). Later, I shall POST again. No pauciticious person Panni.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 09:39:46 AM by Panni »

Jay

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 09:47:43 AM »

Who is playing Petra and how was "The Miller's Son," for me one of the most involving songs in the entire SOndheim canon.

Forgive me for omitting the name of Miss Jessica Boevers, who plays Petra.  Like the rest of the cast, she is quite good in the role:  she does not overdo the lusty aspect of the character, and her scene with Anne (when they discuss virginity) is spot on.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2004, 09:47:50 AM »

The other Susanne Blakelee pic:

der Brucer

Jay

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 09:50:50 AM »

Were supertitles used in LA?  

They are not used and I am happy to say they are not necessary, as the words--both sung and spoken--can be heard quite clearly.

Jason

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2004, 09:53:20 AM »

Hi, all. I have several favorite Eyetalian dishes, but my very favorite is fettucine alfredo with grilled or blackened chicken. No, stuffed chicken parmesean. No, spaghetti with meatballs. No, lasagna. No... Well, I love it all. Just as long as it doesn't involve mussels, I'll try it.

I'm going out tonight. Can you believe it? I'M going out on a Saturday night! I responded to some personals (strictly platonic) on Craigslist.com, and I got a response from a seemingly very nice guy named Jason. He's a freelance writer from South Carolina who is currently an in-home caregiver for an Alzheimer's patient in Gramercy Park three days a week. I figure anyone who has the patience and fortitude to do that job can't be half bad. He's got a masters degree in journalism and boy can you tell it from his emails. He's VERY intelligent and writes incredibly well, but he's not portentous about it. We have pretty much all of the same interests, so we're just going to meet and hang out in Union Square and hopefully strike up a good friendship. After my experience last weekend, I realized that I needed more friends to hang out with because I've been really lonely, so here's a chance to make a new pal. I'm not going into this expecting any more than that, so we'll see what happens. "If you have no expectations, you can never have a disappointment."

Jay: I'm glad you enjoyed NIGHT MUSIC. I love, love, love Danny Gurwin--he's such a sweet man and has a gorgeous voice--and apparently he's Sondheim's favorite Henrik ever. He said so himself. His performance was a little more spastic in the Kennedy Center production, which was hilarious, but Scott Ellis made him tone it down for the NYCO production. They didn't want him for the NYCO version--they didn't want any of the Kennedy Center cast to reprise their roles--but they lost their Henrik at the last minute and Sondheim all but insisted that they hire Danny for the part. I'm almost sure that if Sondheim has anything to say about it, he'll be playing Henrik in the B'way revival in a couple of years, opposite Ms. Glenn Close. (And I saw him in the Chicago tour of THE FULL MONTY--that's when I became slightly obsessed with him. ;) )

It would appear that I'm starting my new position at MTI on Monday instead of sometime in September, which is fine and dandy with me. The sooner I get that raise, the better. It would also seem, however, that I may not be getting the job they originally approached me about. I might be skipping the reception desk altogether and moving onto the licensing floor as a representative, which means I'd be one of those mean people who issues, grants and/or denies contracts and rights to people. Which also means probably $4,000 more a year than I'd make being the receptionist. They haven't actually spoken to me about making me a rep, but the CEO's assistant told me that that's what he'd heard was the plan. We'll see. I do know, however, that the receptionist that I was supposed to replace begins his training as a rep on Monday, so I'll be replacing him on the phones for at least three weeks, so I told them I want them to put me on payroll starting Monday and get those health benefits going. I won't let them walk all over me on this one...I want that money!

Anywho, I think I might go out to a movie this afternoon. I don't know what movie yet, but I'll figure it out. And then I'm off to meet Jason at 7:30. We're planning to get cheesecake somewhere around the Union Square area. Any suggestions from fellow NYers? Does Chat 'n Chew serve cheesecake?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 10:03:43 AM by Jason »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up