Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FALL OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME  (Read 30438 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE FALL OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2003, 08:14:55 AM »

Allow me then, DR LC, to recommend to you the OBC recording of On the Town.  A female taxi driver is one of the major roles in the show, and she sings one of my favorite novelty songs, "I Can Cook, Too!"  Although the film and its soundtrack have their charms, most of the score of the Broadway show was jettisoned in the making of the movie, and "I Can Cook, Too!", along with a good deal of other sublime music that Leonard Bernstein wrote for the stage version, cannot be heard in the movie.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Emily

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2003, 08:15:48 AM »

BTW Craig - A QUADRUPLE entry of JJ?

Three cheers to you! :)

(Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2003, 08:21:57 AM »

Emily--you are somewhat compatible with my Capricorn self.  ::)

I LOVE On the Town...such a witty show, and the movie version is great.  Also love Lea DeLaria's performance of "I Can Cook Too" on My Favorite Broadway: The Leading Ladies.  That woman has some chops.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2003, 08:25:32 AM »

Good Saturday morning to you all!

Matt H. that is exciting about the Sherlock Holmes DVDs! I used to watch those movies on Saturday mornings when I was a kid, and I might be picking up a few of those titles as well!

As for musicals, I am not sure if it is limited to stage productions or if it can include films...if it is a stage production then I would choose FLOWER DRUM SONG...if it can include a musical film then I would choose..hmmmm...FLOWER DRUM SONG.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 08:26:08 AM by MBarnum »

Ben

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2003, 08:30:05 AM »

LC I've lived here for 23 years and in those years I can count on one hand and still have fingers left over the number of times I've had a female cab driver. I have, I think, in all that time, had two. We commented on it both times and they were both very pleasant about it, acknowledging the rare bird quality.

And, yes, get a copy of Of the Town. It's a great show. The movie is a whole different thing. I like the movie but it's not the show. Most of the score, in standard Hollywood form, was cut. The score is filled with little treasures that you won't see if you watch the movie w/Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Betty Garrett, Ann Miller, Jules Munshin, Vera-Ellen. It is great to see Miss Betty Garrett, though. I love Nancy Walker but Betty Garrett is a joy.

BK, I know it's not Ask BK Day, but did you ever see the 1971 Los Angeles production of Forum with Nancy Walker? She got to sing another song (Farewell). I know she declined to come to NY when it moved. I would have loved to see her as Domina. She was replaced in NY by Lizabeth Pritchett. Anyway, that's enough theatre history. I need to get to the tailor and have some pants taken up. I'm SHORT. I wish I could buy off the rack and have something fit!!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2003, 09:06:24 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Boy have I had a hard time getting *back* onto this Board (I shall post details at the Tech site).  I'm never going to get good karma that way!![/move]
I think I would have liked to have been around for Gypsy, if only to solve the riddle of how much music SS actually wrote.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2003, 09:19:27 AM »

Good morning.  I would like to have been around for Li'l Abner.  Can you imagine what fun that would have been?

Let's have more topic discussion, shall we?  And no one except one poster has mentioned chat at all - Sunday or Monday?

Well, that calendar really messed with my mind.  I've never seen a calendar that goes Monday to Sunday therefore it totally messed with my mind.

Jennifer: I'm not sure why posting an image within your post is a problem, but it probably has something to do with the size of the image (pixels) which Mark and Russell both talk about at the tech board.  For example, should I want to post an image, I go down to the attach box (you have to not be in the "quick reply" place, I browse my computer until I find an image, I find said image, I open said image, said image address automatically shows up in the attach box and I post.

Jay

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2003, 09:25:03 AM »

I think I would like to have been present for the preparations for the premiere of Showboat.  It was a groundbreaking show--for more than one reason.  I think it would have been fascinating, too, to observe Hammerstein and Kern at work.  And to hear such sublime music as it was being unveiled for the first time!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 09:26:31 AM by Jay »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2003, 09:27:02 AM »

Oh yes, don't you know I'm being sneaky. I am being VERY sneaky, but it's ok, because my Algebra HW is done for now. They're all out at soccer games, and so I'm on my little sister's computer.

I miss you all! And I've caught up on all of the posts (It took 5 BILLION years, which I suppose is a good thing!), and Craig, you are very very cool. Very very thoughtful and very very cool. I have Karma and I've been Errant and Truant for days! I feel so loved! You coined a great word yesterday, Karmalicious. I'm using that now. I am officially Karmalicious Swishy.

I can't stay for long because I need to go and get some things for the dance tonight, and then I must get my hair pretty-fied, but I'll try and get back tomorrow sometime. I'm thinking I could start getting on during lunch at school...but it would have to be every other day, because I have to go to Math Lab during some lunches. We'll see.

Laryngitis sucks. I have absolutely no voice at all. I can't even whisper. I am officially mute! Mute Karmalicious Swishy. About to go out on the town, and she can't say a word. *sigh*

I really can't think of anything to say...Merci Beaucoup to Emily for posting my long message last night... I love the new Juliana's Journals! I miss you guys! Ummm....

Gray and Pink Sweatpants, White zip-up sweatshirt, Pink Pumas. Soon to be a long sparkly strapless dress that I'm praying will stay up ;)

Remember, email me at sarah@davishome.us! :)
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jay

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2003, 09:32:28 AM »

Karmalicious Swishy!  We've missed you!  But we understand the situation.  Good luck in algebra.  And we look forward to more surreptitious visits to the site from you.

td

• td
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2003, 09:35:50 AM »

Great picture, BK! ! ! !

I know that Dear Readers one and all will know immediately that the one musical that I would like the dirt dished on from inception to close is none other than:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]CARRIE: THE MUSICAL[/move]

after that, I suppose I would need to know all about:
THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD
THE BLACK CROOK
SWEENEY TODD
ASSASSINS
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2003, 09:43:27 AM »

Good morning all.  You know you had an interesting night when you wake up and the only coherent thought you can muster is "huh?"  'nuff said on that.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy un-birthday to DR Jed[/move]
I shall wish you a happy birthday on the real day.  Although now that I think about it, there's no law that says you can't wish someone a happy birthday on the day before.  In fact, it makes more sense in a way.  You're wishing that they will have a happy birthday before the day even starts, so your good wishes are with them from the get-go!  Did that make ANY sense?  I didn't get a lot of sleep last night...but the damn sun in my eyes woke me up early anyway.  
I'll post on topic later when my few remaining brain cells decide to band together and start functioning

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2003, 09:43:54 AM »

Mr BK - where is the June Wilkinson pic?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2003, 09:54:37 AM »

Hey!  I just noticed I have 2 karma!  Yay!  That makes me so happy!  :)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2003, 09:55:40 AM »

Now I really want to get up to 25 posts so I can start giving some karma back...but at my current rate, that's gonna take forever.  ::)

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2003, 09:56:52 AM »

DR Jay, thanks for the recommendation!  I will look for the CD this weekend.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2003, 10:06:47 AM »

Jrand, ask and ye shall receive.  Here is JW and my very own self - I'm the one without the chest.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2003, 10:08:22 AM »

What show would I love to have been around for from the beginning of its inception?
RENT
if only to be able to say, "Jonathan, you're looking a little under the weather today.  Why don't you go to the doctor?  And get a third opinion!!"  Are we allowed to interact with history?

Otherwise, I would choose Merrily We Roll Along AND B o u n c e
Who wouldn't want to be part of the show that broke up the Prince/Sonheim partnership as well as the show that brought them back together (well, at least for now)?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2003, 10:10:04 AM »

Ooh, I chose an out-of-focus image, shame on me.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2003, 10:13:36 AM »

I'd say that them's there a dual masterpiece of hydraulic engineering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2003, 10:17:21 AM »

And one for Mahler!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2003, 10:28:33 AM »

So it's Saturday, and I'm definately in a "What is it, fish?" mood. The beginnings of a new friendship/relationship are so taxing on the brain, I'll tell you!  Must get out and AWAY from the computer.  I may have to go to the mall (EEEK)    :o

The one show I'd would have been like to be around during it's rehearsal period would have to be "Sunset Blvd" just to see how the score changed and how the actors adapted to the set - oh, I did mean the American Premiere if "Sunset" not the London.  Will check in later.

Ben

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2003, 10:33:08 AM »

Jason, you little mouse, you. I think all the mice in New York have read your post because as I was out and about doing errands, I was in CVS (a drugstore on the east coast - is it anywhere else?). What to my wondering eyes should appear but

A MOUSE

The little critter ran from under one counter to another. I think they are out warning all their little mouse cousins and aunts and uncles and brothers and sisters, etc., etc., etc. (A King and I reference) to beware that apartment in Brooklyn! The question now is, can I go back to my local CVS without worrying about a mouse in the products. Oh, well, at least it wasn't the R word. Then I would have left the store post-haste.

td

• td
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2003, 10:50:25 AM »

Hey!  I just noticed I have 2 karma!  Yay!  That makes me so happy!  :)

I have TWO KARMA, too! ! !
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'[/move][/b]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2003, 11:00:14 AM »

The first show that came to my mind
(to observe from creation to finish)
is The Most Happy Fella.
Yesterday, I was describing it to my college students (and we'd earlier talked about finding the sex in any song): 1956 show in which a bride willfully has sex with a man who is not her husband on her wedding night and later tells the much older object of her affections that she wants to be with him "just as close to me as I possibly can... like a woman loves a man"
How my favorite songwriter, Frank Loesser, managed to put this on stage (in the year of my parents' wedding) and make that bride completely sympathetic is a miracle I would have liked to have witnessed every step of the way.

There's a wonderful CD with some cut songs from The Most Happy Fella.  That first scene in the diner used to go on forever!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2003, 11:15:54 AM »

Happy Birthday, Jed!

TOD:  On the successful musical front, I think Sweeney Todd would have been interesting to sit in on, creatively.  For "Oh-My-Gawd-What-Were-They-Thinking", I'd have to go for Merrily We Roll Along.  Hey, these shows were written back to back!  I could just rent a nearby apartment to stay at for the whole shebang (and probably get a good rate, compared to today's prices)!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Hapgood

• Why is the smart son always the gay son?
    • My Diary
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2003, 11:16:26 AM »

You miss a few days, and just look what happens! So much has passed.

I would like to have been present at the many incarnations of Assassins, to find out how the Oswald scene, in particular, was written. Not to mention to be in on the many trials and tribulations in the move to Broadway.

I recently saw The Secret in the Wings, the new Mary Zimmerman play. It's an adaptation of some less well known fairy tales. It is certainly very dark, but it is full of beautiful images. I highly recommend it to anyone in the Chicago area!

I have the CD that DR Noel mentioned, with the original opening scene of The Most Happy Fella. It is fascinating to see how much inferior material has been thrown out. Loesser was a true genius.
Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello. Barber Theatre. Northwestern University. February 13-22. The greatest theatrical event that the world has ever known!

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2003, 11:21:29 AM »

BK - When you were describing the new board, didn't you indicate there would be a separate track (so to speak) for those responding to the TOPIC ONLY? I, for one, would appreciate the focus as I don't have a great deal of time to read every post (which sometimes has the feel of a chat board).

TOPIC: I've read several books on the making of different musicals and it's always left me disheartened--all the high emotion, backstabbing, hurt feelings, firings and missed commuications. If I sat in on the creation of them from the beginning, I might even be more disappointed. So, in the end, I'd probably pass just so I could hold onto my illusions (ah, such an idealist is she!) . BUT--if this wasn't an issue with me, I would probably pick these:

1. SHOWBOAT - For its landmark departure and the decisions that had to be made to really come up with something different.
2. THE MUSIC MAN - To witness firsthand how a show that is pure inspiration flies to success.
3. A CHORUS LINE - Wasn't this the first musical that was developed through workshops? The process would be fascinating.
4. SWEENEY TODD - To answer this question: How do you take a dark story like this and make it into a musical that won't completely gross out an audience?
5. GYPSY - Just to see Ethel Merman at work.
6. FOLLIES - Just to see Michael Bennett work his choreographic magic. DITTO Jerome Robbins for WEST SIDE STORY and THE KING AND I.

DR Maya - Take a listen to Barbara Cook's rendition of "I Can Cook Too!" She really nails it and the Wally Harper arrangement is fantastic.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2003, 11:33:46 AM »

Thanks for the June Wilkinson picture - yes she still looks great!  Must be either the Twisting All Night or the Macumba Love!  Why are we in C I N E M A S CO PE?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2003, 11:35:58 AM »

Is it me, or are we in cinemascope??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up