Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FALL OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME  (Read 30440 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE FALL OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2003, 11:37:20 AM »

Hmmm... what with now knowing everyone's astrological sign on the boards - I thought I should check out my (as a Scorpio's) compatibility with the other signs.  Tell me where all of you fit! :)

Scorpio - October 21 – November 21

Most Compatible:
Pisces and Cancer

Somewhat:
Sagittarius, Capricorn, Virgo and Libra

Least:
Aquarius - detached and impersonal
Taurus - clash of wills
Leo - overly dramatic and arrogant

Neutral:
Aries and Gemini
Oompityfratz years ago, der Brucer and I were asked to put together an astrology program for use as a fundraiser for a gay softball team I was part of at the time.  The notion that was pitched to us was "Astrology and Matchmaking," at which point the fellow who pitched the idea just drifted off with nothing left to contribute.

Anal retentive blokes that we are, we couldn't just copy down which signs matched with which other signs and let it go at that.  No, what der Brucer and I did was much more complicated.  Der Brucer took an existing astrology program, which wasn't very good, and broke it down to it's basic maths for the positioning of the planets and whatever.  He then was able to rebuild the program, making it more efficient and faster running.  Der Brucer is handy doing things like that.

Meanwhile, I gathered up something like four or five different books on astrology, and compared what they said about the different planets in aspect to each other, and what affect the signs had the planets as they travelled through the skies.  I then wrote my own comments, which der Brucer then worked into the programming that he had done.  All in all, it was a fairly good astrology program when we were done.  

One interesting point that we found was that it isn't really the sun signs that designate who is compatible with whom, but the combination of rising signs.  In other words, what people we get along with/don't care for/are hot to trot for has to do with the hour we were born, rather than the month of the year.  This becomes worthless information, however, when dealing with people who don't know the hour of their birth, even approximately.  Thus, since der Brucer was adopted and has no record of the hour of his birth, we have no idea why he and I get along as well as we do.  

The astrology program was quite successful the first time we used it as a fundraiser, at the Orange County Gay Pride Fair, which was held in August that year I believe.  It was also quite successful the second time, at the Long Beach Gay Pride Festival the following spring.  At the Stonewall West Gay Pride Festival in West Hollywood that June, however, we had a lousy booth location, which combined with festival's "been there done that" attitude resulted in the booth just breaking even.  As Anthony Shaffer noted in Sleuth, never play the same game three times running.  The following year, a couple of other booths were selling astrological profiles, which made our own program redundant.  So it goes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2003, 11:41:05 AM »

DR Ann:  You are right about the sunshine today being a shock.  After the great flood that started this week, here in Washington, it is amazing to see blue skies and bright sunshine.

Jed:  A very merry un-birthday to you!

Swishy Sarah:  It was so nice to have you back where you belong (a Dolly reference), even if only briefly.  Keep up those studies.  Maybe we could all take turns tutoring you in Algebra right here at HHW.  Then your parents would have to let you come and play.

Topic of the Day!
 I think I would like to have been around for the start of She Loves Me.  Not only is it one of my favorite all-time musicals, but just being able to watch this great cast and group of collaborators creating this masterpiece, only to see it basically fade from memory.  Maybe it was just too small a show for a big Broadway theater.

As for chat, I will probably have to miss it, regardless of which day.  I have rehearsals on both evenings, so I will be there in spirit only.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2003, 11:45:28 AM »

Page 2 is in Cinerama!!!
“One thing’s universal,

Emily

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2003, 11:51:04 AM »

I noticed that about the second page...

*so much scrawling... can't move fingers... must have rest*

Paging Mr. Bakalor!!!! ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2003, 11:51:43 AM »

and yes... I realize that scrolling does not constitute as exercise

(although if I were God it would!)

:D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2003, 11:52:55 AM »

DR Noel, you might want to re-size the pic you posted, as it's size appears to have thrown Page 2 into Cinemascope.  (Of course, if we also had Stereophonic Sound, it would be fine.) (Hey, a Cole Porter reference!)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 11:55:08 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2003, 12:00:30 PM »

Mr Makalor, Mr. Bark Makalor, ten minutes to curtain, Mr Makalor.  (now if I could just find a picture of Scooter, it would all make sense to all of you!)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 12:10:59 PM by Matthew »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2003, 12:15:42 PM »

I suppose I will get tired of these faces soon, but for the moment..........

DR Matthew:  Inquiring minds want to know all about this new friend / relationship that you hinted about earlier.

DR MBarnum:  Weren't you going to post a picture of someone?  Was it of BK?

DR Jason:  I know you have been consumed with worry over Mickey and Minnie lately, but don't you think you should get your resume photo up on this site so that all the big Broadway producers viewing the site can discover you and make you a huge star???
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 12:16:44 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2003, 12:24:33 PM »

Thank you for all the early birthday wishes.  I think I rather like the idea of taking the entire weekend to celebrate!  ;D  Especially when it includes "flirty vibes" from DR Maya!

As with DR TCB, I will be at rehearsal both Sunday and Monday evenings, so will have to miss chat either way.

Topic d'jour...
First show that jumps to mind is A Chorus Line.  Get to sit in on those recording sessions, and everything else up to opening... sounds fantabulous to me.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matthew

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2003, 12:27:09 PM »

DR TCB when I get out of this funk, I will tell all.  Right now, it's the "funk" time.  

Matthew

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2003, 12:28:42 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen - Scooter

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2003, 12:28:58 PM »

SWW:  I have been meaning to tell you that I just love the stories you have been posting here.  You really ought to think about putting them together into one big memory book.  I would suggest you call it Scenes from a Marriage, but I believe that is already taken..... but they really are quite delightful.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2003, 12:29:21 PM »

TCB, I tried to post the pic of BK, but I was unable to get it to work. I tried and tried on the Tech board testing part and it came out tiny, tiny, tiny...you couldn't tell BK from Cindy Williams it was so small. I will keep trying though... maybe not today as I really must do some yard work and also clean my house which has become infested with dust bunnies (thanks, in great part, to my cat Freddy).

Matthew

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2003, 12:29:59 PM »

Well, the picture of Scooter didn't happen.  I'll try again later

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2003, 12:32:16 PM »

Yes, I'm going to pull the Noel post and ask him to resize the pic, as it's thrown that page into widescreen and it's impossible to read.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2003, 12:35:21 PM »

Page 2 is back to normal.  MBarnum, e-mail me the image and I'll post it for you.

François

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2003, 12:37:28 PM »

Hello, everybody!
My name is François!

What's yours?

HAPPY UN-BIRTHDAY TO JED!

I love pictures but i guess, because of them, we endup with CINEMASCOPE posts that are twice the size of "my" Mac screen...

Oh well! Who said life was boring?

I would have loved to be there when they revived GYPSY with Angela in London.

Did you know that the recording of the title song for Beauty & the Beast was done in ONE take by Angela?

Did you know that Angela is 78 young?

Ben

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2003, 12:40:41 PM »

I will be leaving soon to go have dinner and see Wilder at Playwrights. Sounds very interesting. I love John Cullum. I never saw Shenandoah but I have played the OBC recording many times. I saw him in Urinetown before it moved to Broadway. Don't Be The Bunny! What a great number.

Wilder is a memory play about a boy who grows up in a brothel. I've heard good things and I'm looking forward to it. The new space at Playwrights is beautiful.

Ben

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2003, 12:43:40 PM »

Ah, DR François, you've been listening to your Stage and Screen interview, haven't you? Oh, Angela, you're so wonderful, living there on the Irish coast. She was so nice to me in 1979 when I spoke to her after Sweeney. My that was a long time ago. Compared to today, no security at all. Just a very nice doorman who let me go up unannounced to meet both Ms. Lansbury and Mr. Cariou. Oh, what a time it was.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2003, 12:46:06 PM »

If the photos are the right size they attach beautifully - there is no more Cinemascope on Page Two, so feel free to go back and check out what you might have missed.

Jed

« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2003, 12:47:49 PM »

I agree, Ben, John Cullum is fantastic.  I've seen him live twice (Man of La Mancha in Seattle, 1995-ish, and Urinetown on B-way this past June), and have listened to the Shenandoah CD many many times.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2003, 01:00:53 PM »

Btw, DR Emily said it snowed here yesterday. But I did not see any snow. Are you sure it truly did? And if it did, it must have been a very little amount.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2003, 01:07:54 PM »

As far as which night we have chat, I (personally) would prefer tomorrow:  Sunday.  Sunday nights are better for me than Monday nights because I'm taking a class on Mondays, unless my parents invite me over for dinner on a Sunday.  In a few weeks, the class will move to Wednesdays and then either night will be fine for me, but until then...tomorrow night, tomorrow night (a Yentl reference).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2003, 01:10:36 PM »

Happy Birthday DR Jed. Before I forget, my Kritzerland Cd arrived a few days ago (when I was sans computer access). Thnaks BK. Has Guy Haines managed to navigate the new look HHW yet?
Topic: I guess if I had been with "Bounce" I would have had a busy life! I'll say "Follies" in the hope that someone will buy me the book for Christmas - I think that someone will end up being me. Now to read all those posts! My computer has automatically set its clock backwards! (An imported computer from the Northern Hemisphere).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2003, 01:13:10 PM »

I just got off the phone with DR Matt H who is just as pleasant to talk to as one could imagine.

Matt H, I say before BK and everybody:

When you're right, you're right! (A "Woman of the Year" reference.

David Santee NEVER beat Scott Hamilton at nationals!  I was memembering it wrong!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2003, 01:20:14 PM »

I'm terribly sorry.  I don't know how to resize a picture.  I don't know how I put us into cinemascope.  And I don't know what happened to the post about my high school reunion.  I don't have a copy of that to re-post.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2003, 01:52:41 PM »

Several things before I forget:

I'd rather have chat on Monday night. I'll have to miss tomorrow if it's done then, so my vote goes for Monday.

May I say that DR Ron is a wonderful conversationalist and very addictive to talk to on the telephone. Two hours passed by like two minutes.

Who else was as startled as I to learn that Dorothy Collins was the runner-up to Barbara Cook for the part of Amalia in the original SHE LOVES ME? I had NO idea.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matthew

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2003, 01:58:24 PM »

Ok, we're going to try and post Scooter again, and this is the last time.  It's gets old after a while!!   :D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2003, 02:04:55 PM »

DR Jrand, I'd love to see Dorothy Collins in MY FAIR LADY if you can find it. Alexis Smith was wonderful in FOLLIES and won all the prizes, but I have to confess that I thought Dorothy was the best of the four leads. Alexis had pitch problems the night I saw it.

DR MBarnum, the next set of four Holmes films is scheduled for November, and the third set of four in set for February (I think, or January) of 2004. Still no word if the Fox films are part of it, but I'm not complaining. To get excellent copies of the twelve Universal ones will be a dream come true.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2003, 02:07:19 PM »

OMGosh!
BK, the picture might have been out of focus but I SURE could make the difference between you AND the boobs!

I hope this lady is happy like that; she looks happy!

Yes, DR Ben, I'm a good listener, am I not?

I wonder if Angela would have given a good rendition of... "T.ts And .ss"? -- sorry that pic gets me confused!
Well, cinemascope was handy to enjoy the... view!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up