Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: VAMP TILL READY  (Read 20449 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:VAMP TILL READY
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2004, 08:03:11 AM »

...it would be a large ship so if we run into storms while at sea we wouldn't have to worry about capsizing (and Anthony would be more comfortable since he doesn't like rides on boats).

One word: TITANIC
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2004, 08:04:30 AM »

Interested in seeing Joan (Arless) Marshall as "Phoebe" ....

She likes to call herself that.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2004, 08:06:59 AM »

On a more gothic note, I'd love to stay in a villa on Lake Geneva and ponder Polidori, Byron, and the Shelleys thinking up horror stories and smoking opium.

Clarification please:

Are you pondering the Shelleys smoking opium, or are you smoking opium whilst pondering the Shelleys - not that both might not be enjoyable.

der "always inquiring mind" Brucer

PS I first read "Venice stinks" too.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2004, 08:10:51 AM »

..a world cruise (verandah stateroom; heavy on the beaches).  

Elucidate, please. Which line offers verandah staterooms with adjoining beach?

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2004, 08:16:36 AM »

Yep, dream vacation for me would also be London. I've said this here before, but I only want to do London with a partner, and since I'm currently partner-less, well, that makes it a little difficult.

Second in line is Hawaii. I think I'd like one of the less touristy islands, but just to get there would be good enough. Again, I think I wouldn't want to go without some friends in tow. I don't really enjoy traveling alone though I have done it, of course.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2004, 08:20:55 AM »

My dream vacation (given the proverbial bottomless purse and the ever-handy time machine) would be a 1930's trip from London to Istanbul via boat-train and the Orient Express.

der Brucer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2004, 08:23:41 AM »

My dream vacation (given the proverbial bottomless purse and the ever-handy time machine) would be a 1930's trip from London to Istanbul via boat-train and the Orient Express.

der Brucer

You might want to avoid any loudmouth Americans or exiled Russian aristocracy when booking your tickets.  Just a suggestion.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2004, 08:34:30 AM »

Good morning!  Welcome to lachic!  Who is lachic - have I met you yet or am I meeting you today?  If so, I know who you are.  To explain: We have a lurker who loves our site but has never posted, who lives in far off Japan, and he is in LA and we'll be meeting for a brief drink sometime today.

I was awakened this morning by a call from my publisher.  Apparently my going ballistic had the desired effect: After I got off the phone with him, they managed to get the head of the printing company on the phone at home - they told him the entire story and he assured them everything would be sorted out this morning.  This morning he called them back to say he was personally walking the book through today and that I would have test book tomorrow morning, and that my order would indeed be here on Monday.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2004, 08:36:12 AM »

Elucidate, please. Which line offers verandah staterooms with adjoining beach?

der Brucer

Actually, the Nowegian Cruise Lines' Norwegian Star (and a sister ship, which I can't recall at this time) feature two Garden Villas each.:

Garden Villa
Spectacular 5,750 sq ft Garden Villa complete with living room, dining room and three separate bedrooms each with king- or queen-size bed, private luxury bath and CD/DVD library. Two bedrooms also feature a full bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower. Each Villa features a private garden with hot tub, outdoor dining area and terrace. Butler service and concierge available.

While a private garden may not satisfy your beach needs, there wouldn't be any sand to get in your private hot tub, either.

And while this should not be taken as any sort of endorsement (or non-endorsement) of NCL, don't forget that I do book cruises in my spare time.

Besides, the semi-colon indicated two inter-related, yet different, trains of thought.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2004, 08:39:35 AM »

Courtesy of The Pottery Barn, BK's new rug:

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2004, 08:45:28 AM »

Lovely!

So go ahead - walk all over me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2004, 08:48:54 AM »

... they managed to get the head of the printing company on the phone ...

I would love a cartooned visual of this!

der still-a-sick-mind Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2004, 08:56:47 AM »

A daily ponder:

BK states:

I’m also hoping our Writer’s Block website will be up and running right on schedule, no later than this coming Monday. At that point, you can place your orders immediately and books and CDs will ship within a day or two after that. So, get ready, you dear, dear people out there in the dark – orders start on Monday.

Must I sign a blood oath to read the book within 30 days?

Must I sign a non-disclosure agreement should I find any typos?

Must I certify that I will post no "spoilers".

Will the author threaten me with frequent lashes with wet noodles and other sundried foodsuffs if I fail to live up to the expectaions of "loyal reader"?

Will I be permitted to read this book before I complete the Kritzer trilogy?

Will the book come with a "Buy One-Get One Free" coupon from Musso and Frank?

Is it tacky to wait for torn-cover remainders?

der pondering Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2004, 08:56:54 AM »

No Munsters here JRand54...not yet...thought about that set + the Mr. Ed set and the Gilligan's Island set...but so far have not sprung for any of them.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2004, 09:01:26 AM »

Welcome to our new poster  DR Lachic!

Thanks for the Christmas gift holiday sugestions about the books. I had seen Suskin's book on-line, of course, but I thought it was JUST a bood of artwork, and I really wasn't interested in just that. Thanks for tipping us that there's more there than that. Haven't been to a real bookstore recently to flip through the book.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2004, 09:04:14 AM »

...don't forget that I do book cruises in my spare time.

SoHo, Chelsea, East Village, circuit parties in the Hamptons, the Rambles?

(Did you used to book walking tours of the vacant wearhouses and piers into the Hudson and the trucks parked under the remains of the lower West Side Highway?)

der world-cruiser Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2004, 09:05:43 AM »

I think I've mentioned here before that there is a vast part of the midwest that I've never explored, and neither have I ever gone to Chicago. I changed planes once in Dallas, but that's the only time I've been to Texas. Have done Vegas to the West Coast (though I haven't been to San Diego which seems like a nice place to visit), but would always be up for going back West.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2004, 09:05:58 AM »

And speaking of rugs, those in the market may follow this link, whose pictures decency forbids my posting:

American Merkin Company.

And we should note that one of BK's guilty pleasures is Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?  I'm sure he and I aren't the only ones who have the ST album in vinyl.

You might also want to visit Lauren Merkin Handbags.  As Lady Bracknell would say, "In a haaaandbag?"

We should also not forget President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove.

Those wishing to give their word processing a bit of pizzaz might try this font:

Merkin.

If you encouter the Madonna parody "Like a Merkin", you should be aware that Merkin has become Internet Lingo for "American" of late, as in "My fellow Merkins".

If you check the imdb, you may notice that Robby Merkin is listed alongside Alan Menken as composer for The Little Mermaid.  He also composed for Sesame Street (!)

But since Google gives over 54,000 listings for the word, I think I'd better get those calculus tests graded before class.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 09:39:24 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

DERBRUCER

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2004, 09:21:22 AM »

And speaking of rugs, those in the market may follow this link, whose pictures decency forbids my posting:

Fortunately for the faint of heart, the links, as posted, are broken.

Fortunately for us techno-geeks with purient interests, fixing same was a snap.

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2004, 09:31:42 AM »

American Merkin Company.

Does anyone still wear...a merkin?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2004, 09:37:44 AM »

A daily ponder:

BK states:Must I sign a blood oath to read the book within 30 days?

Must I sign a non-disclosure agreement should I find any typos?

Must I certify that I will post no "spoilers".

Will the author threaten me with frequent lashes with wet noodles and other sundried foodsuffs if I fail to live up to the expectaions of "loyal reader"?

Will I be permitted to read this book before I complete the Kritzer trilogy?

Will the book come with a "Buy One-Get One Free" coupon from Musso and Frank?

Is it tacky to wait for torn-cover remainders?

der pondering Brucer

And your answers:  

If, like Kritzer Time, you choose not to read the book for whatever reasons, then that's what you choose.  I would find it peculiar, just as I have found it peculiar with KT, but that's just me and has nothing to do with you.

I hope you don't find any typos, but if you do, remember that many books have them - it happens, and that includes classics like James Agee's A Death in the Family. Steinbeck's East of Eden, all the J.K. Rowling books and many others.  

Since this is a mystery, posting spoilers is probably not a good idea, although, as in the case of the Kritzer books, there are things in those books that one shouldn't know going in and people have been very careful here and in their amazon reviews not to "spoil" those surprises and twists.  If you want to talk about something that's a spoiler, make certain that the word SPOILER appears prominently in your post so that people who haven't read it can quickly skip the post without seeing the spoiler.

I don't think I've threatened you with wet lashes, but I do admit to being confounded, despite the explanation you finally gave, as to your not reading Kritzer Time (others have also been confounded, I must tell you).  But, maybe I'll try the wet lashes treatment.

If you wish to read this book before Kritzer Time that is fine by me.

No Musso and Frank coupon, I'm afraid, as much as I'd LOVE to include one.  But there is that CD we've done.

Unlike the Kritzer books, which you will never see remaindered, this book could eventually end up in remainder stores because it's being published in a slightly different manner.  However, if you buy a copy with a torn cover, Grant Geissman might strangle you with a guitar string.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2004, 09:41:06 AM »

Fortunately for the faint of heart, the links, as posted, are broken.

Fortunately for us techno-geeks with purient interests, fixing same was a snap.

der Brucer

Think I've fixed them.  Thanks, der B.  I guess I'm of the old school, where href= was always followed by quotes in html, but not in this here ferschluganner computer languish.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2004, 09:50:23 AM »

If I may return to the semi-hemi-demi-sesqui anti-pentultimate topic of discussion.

I pretty much enjoyed The Broadway Musical in the broadcast version, despite all that was left out--is Elton John really that much more important to musical theatre than Ahrens & Flaherty, say?--and the lack of p.o.v.

However, I do wonder how you can talk about A Chorus Line for fifteen minutes and not once even mention Ed Kleban, let alone Nicholas Dante and James Kirkwood.  Actually, some note on the BMI and Disney/ASCAP workshops, among others, might have been appropriate in assessing the current state of the musical rather than just an emphasis on the mega-blockbusters.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2004, 09:58:48 AM »

Actually, I think A Chorus Line was really ill-served, in that they did not actually explain the genesis of the show, the tapes, and the fact that the actual dancers' personal stories ended up on stage.  By the way, does anyone know what ever happened to the original tapes?  Are they in the Library of Congress or somewhere?
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2004, 10:00:06 AM »

Or soon to be issued on the CD A Chorus Line:  The Tapes produced of course by our very own BK.
--Wayland Flowers

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2004, 10:29:40 AM »

BK, I'm dismayed.  Not only are you not going to London (which, of course, I already knew), but the change in your signing schedule means we'll miss your Bookfellows signing and you'll miss our Christmas bash when we return from London, which will be that weekend you're in New york!  Alas, Alack!

LONDON is still my dream destination.   I would actually like to see more of England, but I am constantly booking theatre when I get there.  

We usually see 10-12 shows when there. I have seen over 100 shows in London and am hoping to get to two hundred before I can no longer either physically or financially afford to go. Theatre tickets are something I won't stint on!  Always good seats.  The Lovely Wife usually likes to sit in the Dress Circle so she can see the blocking patterns.  But in the Olivier we always sit on the floor.  Best bets:  The National always has wonderful stuff playing, the price is probably the best, and you will always see impeccably mounted shows.  I've never been disappointed in anything I've seen there.  All three houses are interesting and their bookshop is wonderful.  Also the book market under the nearby Waterloo Bridge is swell.

Other houses:  The Haymarket in the West End is my favourite theatre and I think one of the most beautiful.  This is where Oscar Wilde's Importance of Being Earnest and Ideal Husband played.  And where John Barrymore did his famous Hamlet.  I also like the Donmar Warehouse in the Seven Dials/Neal's Yard area which Sam Mendes ran for many years.  They have done several interesting revivials of Sondheim.  I also like the Young Vic with its malleable, amorphous stage.  The one time I was in the Almeida, it was quite interesting. I'm quite fond of the Gielgud Theatre in Shaftsbury Avenue's famed theatre row, simply because of all Gielgud memorabilia. The worst theatre for viewing, despite its great history and legacy, is the Old Vic which due to its rectangular nature has very bad site lines in the dress circle.  I've never seen anything at the Royal Court in Sloane Square in Chelsea and would like to rectify that this time.

I'm something of a theatre archeologist...so I like to see the rare, the obscure, the classic.  Also typically British theatre.  I eschew big Lloyd-Webber/Cameron Macintosh musical and Broadway transfers, for the most part.  But will go see interesting companies do interesting revivals of musicals.

This time on agenda are a revival of BECKET, CLOACA (which didn't get great reviews but is Kevin Spacey's initial offering as head of the Old Vic), THE EARTHLY PARADISE, a play about William Morris, Dante Rosetti and the affair Rosetti had with Morris' wife), HIS DARK MATERIALS, PARTS I & II at the National,  THE HISTORY BOYS by Alan Bennett,  a revival of JOURNEY'S END, FESTEN, FORTY WINKS by Ken Elyot which will introduce me to the Royal Court, GRAND HOTEL at the Donmar, SWEENEY TODD, in a small production at a theatre right behind our apartment, OLD MASTERS with Peter Bowles, Edward Fox, and one of my favourite actresses there, Sally Dexter.  That's a dozen right there.  I have about 23 possibilities on my list.  I'm undecided about whether I want to see WOMAN IN WHITE...just to say I have or THE PRODUCERS which just opened and may be impossible to get into anyway.

I almost never book ahead, simply because I don't like to get locked into a schedule.  I usually buy the day of or a few days ahead and that's usually worked out.  I think there have only been about two or three things I couldn't ever get tickets for.

We rent a flat right in the heart of the West End, around the corner from Leicester Sq., two blocks from Covent Garden, just down the street from Seven Dials, a couple blocks from Shaftsbury Ave, two from Trafalgar, a couple from Picadilly. Right behind Charing Cross and my bookstores.  We can walk everywhere and do...even as far as the  Portobello Road Antiques Market and the Tower Bridge (3 miles).  The Southbank and the National is maybe fifteen minutes away over the Waterloo Bridge which has the best views of London...one way is St. Paul's; the other Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, and the Spires of Westminster.  All these landmarks are a hop-skip from where we stay.  Last year we couldn't get the usual flat and stayed in one that was actually cheaper and we like more.  Off Bow Street in Covent Garden behind the Opera House.  Unfortunately, the flat is no longer available.

We have been there enough now that we don't go as tourists, but just go and live.  A Tesco market is right around the corner.  We take most of our meals in...even though the famed show-biz restaurant, The Ivy, is literally outside our flat's back door. Sometimes we'll eat after the theatre at Joe Allen's or Orso's.

The Lovely Wife likes to feed the ducks and squirrels in St. James Park (the prettiest of London's parks), dabble in Covent Garden, visit churches.  I do book runs around town from the West End to the South Bank and through Bloomsbury.  I also visit BK's and my favourite dealer Nigel Williams in Cecil Court where there are several other interesting book dealers and theatre memorabilia shops.

A typical day is we both go our seperate ways in the morning. She to the ducks or Covent; me to get the day's theatre tix and my own perambulations. I like to explore parts of London I don't really know.  Last time it was Lincoln fields and the Inns of Court.  How often do you see a shop that sells wigs for barristers in court?

We usually meet up around noonish for lunch and to read the three or four papers I've brought home.  We go out again and then rendezvous once more around four or five.  Go down for a little nap, eat, and push off to the theatre.

Occasionally we do a joint project to go see a sight...a museum or church...we've never seen or just a mutual ramble down one of the main thoroughfares, through one of the great parks, or just shop at one of the famed Markets.  We love taking scenic detours back from the theatre...like along the South Bank when the city is all lit up.  

London is a city I feel safe in almost any time of the day or night.  One has had to get a little more wary over the years, especially on a Saturday night when the soccers yobs are getting pissed and puking in the street.  But for the most part, I never felt personally threatened...and we've been there when murders occurred nearby and when the IRA was blowing up stuff...notably a bus in Aldwych.  I also walked through the aftermath of the May Day riots (only discovering they were happening minutes before) in Whitehall and had to be diverted out of Traflagar by riot gear police.

One thing I love is having tons of newspapers to read and the British papers are always entertaining.  On the weekends, I must buy 6 or 7 and we have a glut of magazines and inserts that keep us going all through the following week.

I would like to get out of London and see sights like Stonehenge and some castles and we're going to try this time, but it's tough to live the greatest city on earth.  We have managed day trips to places like Canterbury and a friend drove us up through Yorkshire, Whitby and the north of England once.  Fascinating!
I'd also liked to get a gander at Scotland and Ireland one of these days.

Aside from that, one thing I've always wanted to do is take one of those riverboat cruises along the Mississippi or the Ohio.  I think there is also one that goes through Oregon and Washington.  That sort of lesiurely travel, being able to watch the world go by, would be great fun, I think.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2004, 10:59:40 AM »

My Absolute Dream Vacation ("absolute dream" because it could never really happen) would be to see Theater Set Around the World In the Native Languages!  Starting with Sondheim, I'd go to:

New York to see Company
London to see Sweeney Todd
Sweden to see A Little Night Music (in Swedish)
Italy to see Passion (in Italian) and Do I Here a Waltz (in English and Italian, of course)
Rome to see A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (in...whatever language they spoke back then)
and for the final Sondheim portion of the trip, Japan to see Pacific Overtures (in Japanese)

Then, I'd branch off into other shows set around the world:
Australia for The Boy From Oz
Paris for The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Les Miz and The Phantom of the Opera (in French),
Berlin for Cabaret and Grand Hotel (in German)
South Africa for Sarafina
Russia for Fiddler on the Roof (in Russian...I have the Israeli cast recording in Yiddish)
and Argentina for Evita (like that would ever happen!  I do have the Madrid cast recording in Spanish, though)

THAT would be my Dream Vacation!  (To make this a reality, I could very easily accept sponsorship and call it my Absolut Dream Vacation! ;D Yea, that's the ticket!!)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 11:01:01 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2004, 11:01:30 AM »

London is - after all - London.

The only time I was there - we saw LETTICE AND LOVAGE which ws okay....but there was a musical version of METROPOLIS playing as well.  I voted for it, but was outvoted.  Did anyone see it?  I don't think it ever made it stateside!

Did any DR check out the BEYOND THE SEA link?  Opinions?  Is MR BK really producing A CHORUS LINE cd?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2004, 11:02:35 AM »

Oh, no review by me in the new issue of Scarlet Street.  Dissed again!

However DR's TD and MBARNUM and MRBK are represented!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 11:03:10 AM by JRand54 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2004, 11:04:12 AM »

The only time I was there - we saw LETTICE AND LOVAGE which ws okay....but there was a musical version of METROPOLIS playing as well.  I voted for it, but was outvoted.  Did anyone see it?  I don't think it ever made it stateside!
I have the CD.  I love Judy Kuhn and the score has some wonderful moments, but there's a lot that's not so hot (I'm a poet and didn't know it!)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up