Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FLASHBACK  (Read 19240 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FLASHBACK
« on: November 20, 2004, 11:59:29 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've flashbacked on the notes, and now it is time to flash forward to the posts - yes, it's time to post until the cows flashback and come home.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 12:00:04 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:FLASHBACK
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 12:23:33 AM »

Guess I was hoping for too much from "Beyond The Sea".
There are a few Darin fans at HHW. I wonder what favourite tracks we have.

I am partial to his "Venice Blue" and really like his version of "Milord".  Love all the "Hits" of course and "Beyond The Sea" is one of my all time favourite  pop chart entries.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 05:25:35 AM »

I think Mr. Spacey is too full of himself. I miss the days when before he became famous when he could act and just be himself instead of acting off screen as well.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 05:26:34 AM »

Soooooooooooooo Where is everyone? it after 8am and there are usually east coasters who have posted already!!
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 06:29:45 AM »

Re: tipping

I agree with DR Danise, sometimes it gets confusing who to tip.  One good example is on the cruise I went on.  Even with the detailed descriptions of who to tip, I found it crazy (leave this amount on the pillow, sneak this amount to the head waiter in the dining room ...).  

As for DR Jane's comments about leaving extra tip, do most people leave cash tips?  I know I usually pay by credit card and leave the tip there (and so do many people I know).  Hmmmm, if someone else is paying, how exactly do you sneak a look at the bill and then check what they've left?  I guess I'm not used to this!

td

• td
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 06:42:19 AM »

Speaking from experience, many of my customers DO leave the tip on their charge charges WITH an additional amount of cash on the table.   ;D

I, too, was looking forward to BEYOND THE SEA.  Maybe the soundtrack will have to suffice.

Is anyone other than me looking forward to Oliver Stone's take on ALEXANDER (the Great)?  I don't even like Angelina Jolie!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 06:51:46 AM »

Morning all!  What a lovely day it is already!  Lots of sunshine and warm.  Hard to believe that this week is Turkey day.

So what kind of goodies are ya'll looking forward to on the official "Stuff Yourself Silly" day?

Of all of the pies, cookies, goodies, I have to say the one thing I look forward to more than anything else is the stuffing.  We only make it  one day of year.  Silly, I know, we could make it more often but that's what makes it special.  

I tell you my mouth is already watering for it.  That and the chestnuts we'll have Turkey day evening.  I love'em.  

I bought everything for the feast yesterday.  You can forget any thoughts about my being on a diet on that day.  Let the calories fall where they may, Danise is going to EAT!

I think I've caught the Holiday Spirit early this year for some reason.  I sang all the songs from White Christmas in van while I drove around yesterday and I'm in the mood to decorate the house.  I just hope I don't run out of steam.

Since I'm in a Holiday mood, here is another question.  What was/is your favorite Holiday classic?  Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Comin' To Town, Frosty The Snowman, The Little Drummer Boy, Year Without a Santa Claus, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, A Charlie Brown Christmas, etc?

For me, it's The Little Drummer Boy.  It's not Christmas until I see it.  

I know I've said this before but not sure if I said it here, does anyone know the title of a story about 3 guys in the nuthouse who get it into their head they are the 3 Wisemen.  They break out and think they see the Star in the distance (but it's really a building or something like that.  They go to the zoo and get the camels to head out on their quest but everywhere they stop, they do some kind of good.  

I don't know if that was a movie or a show but I never forgot it.  It was a very cute movie/show and I wish they would repeat it.

Gotta run.  Got lots of things to do.  Have GREAT day everyone and I'll be back this evening!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 06:54:40 AM »

Oh, before I go, let me try one more time to post that last Dark Shadows picture for Jrand.  See anyone there you know?   ;)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 07:01:21 AM »

About that getting into the holiday spirit, I've been in it since the release of Joe Nichols' TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS album   ;)  Well, I could hardly buy the cd and NOT listen to it. . .

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 07:09:15 AM »

OMG DRDANISE - in fact I see TWO people I know!  LOL.  What a great pic!  Thanks so much for posting!

I too am sad to hear that BEYOND THE SEA is beyond the pale, but I didn't see how it could NOT be.  Kevin Spacey is very precious - and his mannered performance in THE USUAL SUSPECTS gave away the "surprise" at least for me very early on, and I am NOT that difficult to fool.

Yes TomOvOZ - I like the Darin hits.....my favorites Beyond the Sea, Clementine, Splish Splash, Mack the Knife, and Dream Lover.  His live album At the Copa is such fun.

Last night I watched one selection from the Deanna Durbin Collection DVD set.  I watched LADY ON A TRAIN - and it just got better and better as it went along.  She sang some songs, of course, but the supporting cast was wonderful:  Ralph Bellamy, Edward Everett Horton, David Bruce, and Elizabeth Patterson (Mrs Trumbell).  

Off to rehearsal to finish the last number - and then a birthday party for a friend.  

Sunday.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 07:10:22 AM »

Just when you thought I was gone, I'm back with more questions.

Star Wars:  Full Screen or Wide Screen?  Which one would you buy?  

I had another question and can't think of it right now.  Ah well.  

Laters!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 07:13:52 AM »

Your welcome, Jrand. It looks kinda funny because it was in a picture frame for years so part of it faded before the rest did.

I felt so sorry for him.  He did a reading and was shaking like a leaf.  

Pity to be type cast but on the other hand, how many actors would give their eye teeth for just ONE role that would make people remember them?  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 07:31:55 AM »

Speaking from experience, many of my customers DO leave the tip on their charge charges WITH an additional amount of cash on the table.   ;D

I, too, was looking forward to BEYOND THE SEA.  Maybe the soundtrack will have to suffice.

Is anyone other than me looking forward to Oliver Stone's take on ALEXANDER (the Great)?  I don't even like Angelina Jolie!

I just saw somewhere that the early reviews for Alexander have not been kind.
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 07:39:23 AM »

I've also seen the mixed reviews for PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. . .still, I'm looking forward to seeing Patrick Wilson in a big screen musical.

Much of the negativity I've read on ALEXANDER concerns Colin's blond tresses. . .people, get over it!

Stone is such a fascinating director, that this costume drama/epic/biography might just be a very interrrresting experience.

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 07:41:35 AM »

Good morning TCB!

What can YOU tell us about ALEXANDER?  Was he truly great, or only so-so?   ;)

(Just pulling your leg, TCB. . .the RIGHT one, of course).  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 07:58:49 AM »

Good morning, all!

DRPanni, the guestroom looks quite inviting, and Abie seems to be quite comfortable there.

DRDanise,  wide- or fullscreen for STAR WARS?  Always widescreen.  I want to see the full picture.  I recently purchased a DVD that only exists in fullscreen and it really pissed me off.

I have no plans for Thanksgiving, so I'll most likely cross the street to one of several nice restaurants and have a bit of turkey.  I hope I'll have DRPanni's movie from Netflix, and I'll watch that.  It seems quite holiday-appropriate.

Tomorrow and most of Tuesday, I shall be E&T.  I have to hit the Library of Congress for some research, see several friends, and get back for DRtd's weekend arrival.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 08:17:52 AM »

Tomorrow and most of Tuesday, I shall be E&T.  I have to hit the Library of Congress for some research, see several friends, and get back for DRtd's weekend arrival.

Oooh!  Are you gonna have a parade for me?  Trim the streets of NYC with festive holiday decorations?  you're simply too too!   :)

Looking forward to dinner at Joe Allen on Saturday, and everything else the weekend holds in store!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 08:20:59 AM »

The VARIETY review for ALEXANDER that I read this morning was very mixed but decidedly negative.

Also read in VARIETY that there is now a kiss between Albin and Georges as they walk off together at the end of the LA CAGE revival. That certainly makes sense.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 08:24:52 AM »

Favorite Darin song is definitely "Beyond the Sea" which I think is one of the hippest sung pop songs of the era. I really loved his vocal stylings. I have never thought it was a smart idea for Kevin Spacey to portray Bobby Darin.

When I was taking dance as a kid, we had a pianist who accompanied all our numbers. The school did not use recorded music. The very first dance that was ever choreographed by my dance teacher to a record was "Mack the Knife" which marked a turning point in that teacher's dance school and in my learning to dance to prerecorded music. By the next year, the pianist was gone, and ALL of our numbers were set to records.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 08:28:42 AM »

I had two invitations to friends' homes for Thanksgiving on Thursday. I accepted the first one, and when a second friend called several days later to invite me and I told him I already had plans for Thursday, he moved his dinner to Friday, so I will have TWO Thanksgiving meals this week. I am one lucky fella.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2004, 08:29:58 AM »

Good morning TCB!

What can YOU tell us about ALEXANDER?  Was he truly great, or only so-so?   ;)

(Just pulling your leg, TCB. . .the RIGHT one, of course).  

Actually, td, I was too young to start dating while Alexander was alive.  I didn't come out of the historical closet until I met Hannibal about 100 years later.  In fact, the stories regarding our torrid affair eventually gave rise (pardon the pun) to the legend of Hannibal riding an elephant across the Alps!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2004, 08:33:25 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, last night I fell asleep on the regular couch upstairs.  My back... eh...

My niece and nephew have just come over, and my brother and his wife are "slowly" sneaking away to do some shopping.  John Michael loves hanging out with his grandparents and uncles, but Alyssa still goes through some distress when her parents are not in sight.  However, "Uncle Jojo" found some Sponge Bob Square Pants cookies the other day, and those seem to be keeping them occupied right now.  -And it sounds like my nephew, John Michael, is trying to help my mom redecorate and reorganize the upstairs guestroom.  Hmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2004, 08:34:13 AM »

TCB :

« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 08:34:37 AM by td »

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2004, 08:34:23 AM »

Another review in VARIETY this morning was of the Kelsey Grammer A CHRISTMAS CAROL which comes on next Sunday. This is the Alan Menken/Lynn Ahrens Madison Square Garden version of the story that I'm sure some of you have seen (I haven't; don't even have the cast CD that was made). I've always been so partial to the Leslie Bricusse SCROOGE that any other musical version just hasn't ever interested me.

The VARIETY review mentions that it's not nearly as good as SCROOGE or as good as the MISTER MAGOO CHRISTMAS CAROL musical, but that it would come in third place among musical versions of the story. That said, the review did say it was moderately entertaining (after a slow start) and better than you might think it's going to be.

td

• td
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2004, 08:36:55 AM »

Another review in VARIETY this morning was of the Kelsey Grammer A CHRISTMAS CAROL which comes on next Sunday. This is the Alan Menken/Lynn Ahrens Madison Square Garden version of the story that I'm sure some of you have seen (I haven't; don't even have the cast CD that was made). I've always been so partial to the Leslie Bricusse SCROOGE that any other musical version just hasn't ever interested me.

And the Menken version contains two of my favorites of his compositions, "A Place Called Home" and "God Bless Us Everyone," both of which have been featured on albums which BK has produced.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2004, 08:37:44 AM »

DR Danise:

-Widescreen - always.  I don't even have that big a TV, but I always prefer the widescreen so that I can see the whole picture.

-It's a tie between "Frosty the Snowman" and whichever Santa Claus one that has Mr. Heat Miser.  Although, I am happy to have "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" on DVD now too.

-I'm also a big fan of stuffing/dressing.  Especially from the side pan - not cooked in the turkey - since I like it when the topping gets crunchy.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2004, 08:48:04 AM »

The VARIETY review mentions that it's not nearly as good as SCROOGE or as good as the MISTER MAGOO CHRISTMAS CAROL musical, but that it would come in third place among musical versions of the story. That said, the review did say it was moderately entertaining (after a slow start) and better than you might think it's going to be.

I just find it interesting that none of the commercials I've seen for the upcoming A Christmas Carol with Kelsey Grammer mention that it's a musical.  Or at least featured a clip of singing in the commercials.  Or even a musical by the composer of A Little Mermaid and/or Beauty & The Beast.  At least in the few commercials that I've seen for the program.  I wonder if the fact that it's being shown on NBC and not ABC has anything to do with those "omissions".
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2004, 09:01:06 AM »

That's an interesting point, DR Jose. You're right: nothing has been made of the fact that it's a musical. Christmas musicals often garner big ratings. Angela Lansbury's MRS. SANTA CLAUS (despite a really mediocre score by Jerry Herman) did very big in the ratings the first year it aired.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2004, 09:03:28 AM »

I also am in the widescreen ALWAYS camp. And it infuriates me when we're not even offered a choice. Still angry at Warners for releasing DEATHTRAP in full screen only. Irritating.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2004, 09:06:46 AM »

Whenever possible, I try to leave a cash tip when I charge my meal to my credit card.  Or at least some cash.  Knowing what some waiters and waitresses have to go through when the tip is left on the credit card...  Some restaurants will not "tip out" at the end of the evening when a tip is left on the credit card.  They usually wait until the full charge has gone through and been approved (which is usually not until the "batch" at the end of the week), and/or put the tip amount into the next paycheck.  A friend of mine works at a place that actually has the gall to take out a percentage of credit card tips in order to compensate for the restaurant's processing fee!  Talk about cheap!

-And if I feel that the bartender has been generous that night with his "pours" - or if he has sent over something complimentary for me and my party to try (which happened to us in NYC last week) - then I always drop off a separate tip at the bar on my way out.

As for Alexander... There have been ads in the Metro system in DC for the movie since early summer!  And they were side by side with... was it Orlando?  I keep thinking the movie has already come and gone.  The current publicity blitz seems a bit vague to me, but I think that has to do with Oliver Stone.  Colin Farrell's blond tresses don't bother, but I find my mind wandering to the question, "What kind of makeup did they us to cover up his tattoos?"

???

-And I didn't realize A Home At The End of the World came out on DVD the other week already.  It's on my list!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 09:07:46 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up