Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG MAC  (Read 65927 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE BIG MAC
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2004, 07:58:53 AM »

Well, since the picture posting is good to go again, here are a few photos I took Christmas day, before my camera crashed!

This is my neice Katie and my nephew John (my sister Sue's kids). John and Katie are two of the most important people in my life...I could not ask for better people to be related to! And Katie and I have been shopping buddies since she was about 3 years old! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2004, 08:02:05 AM »

And here is sister Sue (who has always been like a mom to me..as she is 13 years older then I ) and neice Katie opening up a Christmas gift...a stuffed Yorkie...in preparation for the real thing!

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 08:04:19 AM »

And here is Katie (again) with her husband Brian. Brian is a great guy, and he takes very good care of my neice!!

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 08:07:12 AM »

And lastly, here is my grand neice (John's daughter) Taylor, looking at her new table and chairs and her cat clock.

Shortly after this picture my camera bit the dust!  >:(

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004, 08:08:37 AM »

I am in deep shock about the loss of Jerry Orbach. I had no idea his prognosis wasn't good, so this is a real surprise, and I'm very, very sad.

I saw him in CARNIVAL!, PROMISES PROMISES, and CHICAGO, so I am deeply saddened by his passing. Another great gone.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2004, 08:12:28 AM »

Good morning all -

MBarnum - You have a good looking family!  

bk and other south californian DR's...are you guys underwater?  I just saw some footage of some of the flooding on the news...looks ghastly.  

Why am I up at such an early hour?  At least, early for me.  Good sleep seems to be escaping me lately.  Rarely do I not find myself waking up at random hours, and today I just couldn't get back to sleep.  So here I am.

Very very sad news about Jerry Orbach...he was a fine man and a great actor.  And too young for such news...

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2004, 08:13:08 AM »

I have a question for BK and any others who have seen these films.

I'm referring to Francois Truffaut's Antoine Doinel series of films. I have to admit I have only ever seen THE 400 BLOWS. I thought it was fabulous, but I've never had any interest in seeing Antoine grow up. That film's melancholy open-endedness is what made it special for me, and seeing the other films takes the story away from my imagination and forces me to see Antoine's life from Truffaut's perspective.

Are the sequels REALLY so great that they're worth checking out?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2004, 08:15:35 AM »

I, too, am quite saddened by Jerry Ohrbach's passing.  

Aside from his wonderful performances, we should also not forget that he was also the man who had the composure and wherewithal to have them bring in the curtain after Merrick announced Gower Champion's death.

I got to see him in CHICAGO a couple of times and 42nd STREET.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2004, 08:15:52 AM »

I wonder how many episodes of Orbach's new LAW & ORDER: TRIAL BY JURY series Jerry was able to film before he got too sick to work? Anyone have any clue. There was nothing about this in any obits I read this morning.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2004, 08:16:15 AM »

MBarnum - You have a good looking family!  

Ditto!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2004, 08:29:07 AM »

Sad about Jerry Orbach.

For those who were asking - we're fine out here. At least, Studio City is. Or this part of Studio City. I haven't listened to the radio or watched the news this morning - so I don't know anything else.

DR Joey - Thank you for the relief sites. I was just saying to DD last night that I had to look up where to send some money -- and you've done it.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »

As far as I know, there were no segments of the spin off filmed. He signed to do it then the cancer was diagnosed and he went into treatment. I could be wrong about this but that's what I heard.

It's such sad news. I remember the scene from the film "The Prince of New York" starring Treat Williams. Orbach was in the movie. I don't remember all the specifics but I do remember the scene where he walked into the interregation room strode over to the desk where a group of police investigators sat, overturned the table and, I think, punched one of them in the stomach. At that point the audience cheered. The investigators were implying all sorts of things about him, IIRC (if I recall correctly in Internet lingo), which is why he decided to fight back. Great scene.

We are about to go out to the Greenmarket at Union Square and then to a Guitar store so Anthony can purchase one of his Christmas presents, a ukulele case. The weather in NYC is turning nice after a few days of cold. The sun is shining and tomorrow it will be in the 40s and on New Year's Eve it will be in the 50s! After our errands we will probably stroll the streets for a while.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 08:32:41 AM by Ben »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2004, 08:38:02 AM »

DE bk. congrats on your switch to an Apple.  I've noticed that the people who are used to a PC have no problems with the switch to an Apple, where as the people that make a switch from an Apple to a PC have all the problems!!  Having both platforms at your disposal makes you a bi-platform user.

Sad to hear about Jerry Orbach.  I want to say I just saw him in something, but I can't remember what it was.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2004, 08:38:58 AM »

I'm driving to Woodland Hills tonight to a sparkling dinner with friends I haven't seen in years. Their son, who will be present, is a senior NYU and is on his way to being a faboo film director. He "co-directed" a prize-winning claymation short with DD when both were in Grade Five. The little film was superb. Hilarious and very sophisticated (the fact that the boy's mom is one of the people who heads international TV animation at Disney didn't hurt. She didn't do the project FOR them, but she was a relentless task master.)
The young man and DD haven't seen each other in years - although they keep in touch by e-mail. A Kodak moment reunion is in the works. And these people are incredible gourmet cooks - so it should be a fun evening. -- If the rains don't mess everything up, that is.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2004, 09:00:42 AM »

I would have seen Jerry in SCUBA DUBA off-Broadway, but we got tickets for something else that night and I passed it by. Funny, I remember that show (which I never saw) rather than the one I ultimately went to.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2004, 09:02:02 AM »

Comments on some posts from last night:

1.TAR (Amazing Race).  I loved this recap episode.  There are some shows that know how to do recaps.  The key is that they must include lots of unseen footage.

And this recap did that.  I agree with DR DTM.  This show was interesting.  And it was fascinating to see what things were left out.  The editing has a big impact on who people root for, and I am very interested in watching how they handle this aspect of the show.

One thing I noticed is that Kendra got mad a lot more than we've seen.

I think that my 3 favorite teams (kendra and freddie, aaron and hayden, and kris and jon) should go far.  But unfortunately so will jonathan the screamer and his wife.  It's funny because he can be very nice (giving out candy, helping out the grandpaarents ...).  But he has a wicked temper and he is quite mean to his wife.

Hopefully the wrestlers will be gone next week (as long as there is not another grouping).  I'm also not crazy about adam/rebecca and the father/daughter.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2004, 09:07:04 AM »

...Who am I all of a sudden, Shirley MacLaine?
Don't do this to me!  I read this, and the first thing that popped into my head was Shirley in Steel Magnolias!

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2004, 09:09:14 AM »

More comments:

2. Re: the hidden user thing

If it's registered users, could that be what it shows up as if we're logged off?

3. Re: negative feedback at ebay.

I'm sure DRs Elmore and JMK are thoughtful buyers/sellers.  But I totally hate the way the feedback is setup.  Basically if you rightfully give someone negative feedback, then it makes sure that they idiot ruins your record.

I've had a couple of times that I wanted to say really bad things, but i knew the person would make up stuff.  So what I ended up doing was giving them the positive rating, yet tactfully writing about the problem.

For instance one seller did not respond to me for a couple of weeks and  then finally said they were sick.  So I wrote something like, "received item in good condition.  It was 3 weeks late, but seller advised that they were sick."

So all that person could do was comment under my positive remarks (yes, i was very ill), or something like that!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2004, 09:09:17 AM »

I'm driving to Woodland Hills tonight to a sparkling dinner with friends I haven't seen in years. Their son, who will be present, is a senior NYU and is on his way to being a faboo film director. He "co-directed" a prize-winning claymation short with DD when both were in Grade Five. The little film was superb. Hilarious and very sophisticated (the fact that the boy's mom is one of the people who heads international TV animation at Disney didn't hurt. She didn't do the project FOR them, but she was a relentless task master.)
The young man and DD haven't seen each other in years - although they keep in touch by e-mail. A Kodak moment reunion is in the works. And these people are incredible gourmet cooks - so it should be a fun evening. -- If the rains don't mess everything up, that is.

Sounds like a wonderful evening, don't go sliding in any mud along the way.  Do you want to pass on the name of the faboo- director- to-be so we can keep an eye open for his future works?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2004, 09:11:01 AM »

DR DTM mentioned the other day about wanting to convert all his VHS videos to DVD.

My dad has been doing this like crazy recently.  He bought a dvd recorder, and has been transferring everything he owns (since he's decided videos will be worthless in 2 years).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2004, 09:16:07 AM »

I'm sure DRs Elmore and JMK are thoughtful buyers/sellers.  But I totally hate the way the feedback is setup.  Basically if you rightfully give someone negative feedback, then it makes sure that they idiot ruins your record.

DRJennifer, it's quite interesting in my Feedback for the past several months:  I have nothing but things like "good communication, fast payer, great Ebayer, an example for all," then right in the middle is this negative one about being a lier (his spelling), no communication, etc. and this is the moron who took my money!  I think the feedback around it says more, but I'm bummbed by not having a 100% record.  I checked the Feedback on my nemesis and he had 6 negatives this month!  Hee hee . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2004, 09:17:08 AM »

DR DTM mentioned the other day about wanting to convert all his VHS videos to DVD.

My dad has been doing this like crazy recently.  He bought a dvd recorder, and has been transferring everything he owns (since he's decided videos will be worthless in 2 years).

Your dad's a smart cookie!  I should follow his example.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2004, 09:17:55 AM »

What type of DVD recorder does he have?  Is he happy with the quality it produces?  

I still haven't been able to play with my Chrissmaas prezzie, the video editor/dvd burner for the PC since I've either been entertaining, cleaning up before or after entertaining, shopping  and/or cooking for said entertaining, being entertained  or working ever since Christmas, (meantime DH & the vixter have been playing like crazy with THEIR toys!!! ) time for a coup methinks......

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2004, 09:19:30 AM »

Sad news about Mr. Jerry Orbach.  I knew he was very sick.  I had the good fortune to see him several times in Promises, Promises, in which he was fantastic.  I also saw him twice in Chicago and once in 42nd Street.  

I forgot that I dragged elmore to Bed and Sofa - his memory is correct - we did run into Adolph Green that night, and he was very sweet and we told him we'd done our Peter Pan album.

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2004, 09:20:37 AM »

BTW  DR MBarnum nice family snaps, thanks for sharing!

:D

Are they still "snaps' if they're digital? :-\
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 09:21:26 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2004, 09:23:47 AM »

Being  only a junior, I need some  technical advice.  How do I upload pictures to this site?   ???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 09:24:50 AM by vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2004, 09:27:20 AM »

Yes, I like PRINCE IN THE CITY a lot. I remember being so bowled over by Treat Williams because the only thing I had seen him in prior to this was as the high voiced detective character in THE RITZ. It was probably Jerry's best movie role, too.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2004, 09:29:12 AM »

As a former SoCal resident, I can say that our current SoCal residents will be safe as long as they a) stay away from any cliffs, b) stay away from any areas that have had brushfires in the last year or so, and c) stay away from any lowlands where water can collect.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2004, 09:30:35 AM »

Catcher in the Rye has never been made into a film, Dear Brother/Reader Stuart.

Note the following, however, from the IMDB, regarding My Foolish Heart:

J.D. Salinger so despised this adaptation of his short story "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut" that he never again allowed any of his work to be adapted to film.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2004, 09:36:10 AM »

I forgot that I dragged elmore to Bed and Sofa - his memory is correct - we did run into Adolph Green that night, and he was very sweet and we told him we'd done our Peter Pan album.

Dear Friend BK, you dragged me to many wonderful things, among them:
  screening of JURASSIC PARK at the Directors Guild
  RUTHLESS with Miss Lindsay Ridgeway
  that showing of PEPE (?) in some strange home theatre

I had forgotten the PETER PAN discussion with Adolph.  Didn't he make some comment about his version being the only one?  I saw him about a week before he died, and he was amazing:  lively, sweet, still had a sharp mind.  He had a nice nurse who wheeled him around the West Side in a chair.

I hope you'll drag me to many more things before this time is up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up