Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!  (Read 70231 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2004, 09:38:24 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2004, 09:39:10 AM »

I have all the Brazilian imports.  Urubu is one of my favorite albums of all time - but then, I must have anything that has the name Claus Ogerman on it.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2004, 09:41:25 AM »

It's raining cats and dogs here (I typed cats and "gods" first - an interesting concept). I wonder where that phrase came from? On this site, I'm sure I'll know in a minute.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 09:49:27 AM by Panni »

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2004, 09:48:59 AM »

New Year's Eve greetings, everybody!

My sister and her husband just arrived at my mom's from their home in Michigan and later this afternoon we're all (except my brother-in-law) are going to see Phantom of the Opera (movie) and then have dinner at Gram's (my mom).  DH and DS and I will be home well before the chiming of the new year (EST).  Tomorrow they'll all be here for a Rose Bowl party (Go Blue!).

Media - last night we watched the DVD Supersize Me, which pretty much takes away one's appetite for McDonald's.  We especially liked the bonus feature titled, "The Smoking Fry."

VCR - The Midwife's Tale, recommended by DH because of the shape note singing.  Have I mentioned that my husband is a shape-note singer?

CD's - I have several new ones that I'm enjoying:  Renee (Fleming) & Bryn (Terfel) Under the Stars, Renee Fleming's newest Handel, and bk's New Cast Recording of Merrily We Roll Along.

The Renee Fleming kick is because I just finished reading her book, The Inner Voice, which I thought should have had a companion CD.

My interest in Merrily... stems from the fact the it's the scheduled winter musical at University of Cincinnati's College Conservatory of Music, Feb. 24-27 and March 3-6.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2004, 10:04:12 AM »

CD's - I have several new ones that I'm enjoying:  Renee (Fleming) & Bryn (Terfel) Under the Stars, Renee Fleming's newest Handel, and bk's New Cast Recording of Merrily We Roll Along.

The Renee Fleming kick is because I just finished reading her book, The Inner Voice, which I thought should have had a companion CD.

My interest in Merrily... stems from the fact the it's the scheduled winter musical at University of Cincinnati's College Conservatory of Music, Feb. 24-27 and March 3-6.

I had forgotten she had a book out.. Hmm..

How's her Handel disc?  Her Bel Canto disc was not to my liking.  Some nice stuff on it, but I've never thought of her voice as being naturally agile for the fioratura and coloratura.  She seems to work that whole "creamy" aspect to her voice a little too much for my taste.  So...  I know Rodelinda is being broadcast this weekend - I think it's tomorrow - so...  But I'm more interested in hearing David Daniels than Ms. Fleming.

And I wonder which version of Merrily CCM will be doing?  Rumor had it that the version that was presented at the Kennedy Center two years ago during the Sondheim Celebration would become the new licensed version.

Do you do any work with CCM?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2004, 10:04:40 AM »

We will have had more rain in Lalaland this week (about ten inches) than we've had in many entire years!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2004, 10:11:06 AM »

We will have had more rain in Lalaland this week (about ten inches) than we've had in many entire years!

Does LaLaLand have those guys who come out during the rain who sell $5.00 umbrellas?  Or are umbrellas at more of a premium price out there since rain is a rare occurence?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2004, 10:13:37 AM »

OK... I'm starting to bore myself and that's never a good thing...  Off to the grocery store and wherever else my car ends up taking me...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2004, 10:14:10 AM »

I believe the ran has begun here, again... in the greater Bay Area.  Welcome back RLP, welcome to rain.

Media Check -

DVD - Ordinary Sinner - a NetFlicks rental in the "gay and lesbian" category" rather boring, not so sure I liked the message

CD - ALW's "The Woman in White" - it's all about the Woman in White.  I bought the novel, a version of the melodrama and the "musical" version (written by the same person as the melodrama - Tim Kelly) both versions are silly, I kinda like them!!

In Car - iPod shuffling Cast Recordings at the moment.

Tonight is the DP and mine first anniversary.  It was the time we decided to not see anyone else.  We're going to the same restaurant we did last year.  Should be fun.  I'll give a report tomorrow.

2005 is starting to look good.  With the new job oportunity, the necessary move to a two bedroom place, some great shows lined up (including work on "Ragtime" late next summer), and all the wonderful people out there in the dark at HHW, I predict good times by all and lots of Diet Coke. (and legs?)

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2004, 10:22:34 AM »

Do you do any work with CCM?

DR Jose - No-o-o-o, despite the fact that Elmore  described me as an "actress," my only theatrical participation now is as an audience member!  We used to go pretty regularly to CCM and saw some great productions.  Our interest in UC in general is renewed (guess this qualifies as one of my 2004 discoveries from yesterday...) because our son is now enrolled there.  He's a freshman in the computer science department.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2004, 10:25:49 AM »

DRJOSE I am getting very excited about MAMMA MIA!

Me, too!  Are we looking at the Sunday matinee, April 10?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2004, 10:28:34 AM »

DRAnn, Beethoven's 9th with the Seattle Symphony?  Are you in the Symphony Chorus?  And the soloists?

Yup, I'm in the Chorale.  I forget the names of the soloists...I'm terrible with names!  I'll look 'em up on the program and get back to you if you'd like.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2004, 10:29:52 AM »

In my cassette player at work:  the original cast recording IN STEREO of Baker Street courtesy of DR JMK!!  I don't remember if I thanked you when I received it (or even let you know that I got it), but if I didn't, I'm sorry.  Thank you!!

In my CD player at work:  "The Phantom of the Opera" movie soundtrack.  After that will be Domenico Scarlatti: Sacred Choral Works.  I don't ususally listen to sacred choral works by anyone, but the library system where I work just got it and I'M ON IT!!  When I was in the Western Washington University Concert Choir (in 1989) we recorded this CD!  I've had a copy since it was originally released in 1991, but the library just bought copies for the first time!  So, I had to check it out...literally...even though I do own it. ;D And I have to admit that it's pretty good. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 10:30:35 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2004, 10:40:24 AM »

Media report, amended:

Elmore's Christmas CD just arrived in the mail, so we'll be listening on our way out to Otterbein!  Thank you, and Happy New Year, dear friend!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2004, 10:48:55 AM »

Elmore's Christmas CD just arrived in the mail, so we'll be listening on our way out to Otterbein!  Thank you, and Happy New Year, dear friend!

Well, you're welcome, DRGinny!  I know that you and JRand54 got your copies, but I sent two to the west coast, and I hope they arrive today.

B&N is a tad slow this morning, but it's fun having a lot of workers I usually don't spend time with around.  Miss Blair is manic today in her pursuit of holiday help Andrew, but he seems quite flustered by her attentions.  I think this afternoon will be quite busy.  And so, heigh ho, heigh h, it's back to work I go!  That was for Francois, and he hasn't been around this week so far.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2004, 10:54:14 AM »

Good morning, fellow dear readers.

CD player in the car: Christmas in Plaid (I wish that BK had produced it)
DVD player: belongs to DS, and I don't know what's in it.
CD player in the house: a CD DS bought for me for Christmas that he bought at Starbucks Coffee -- it's A Charlie Brown Christmas music
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2004, 10:54:21 AM »

Miss Blair is manic today in her pursuit of holiday help Andrew, but he seems quite flustered by her attentions.

Janet Blair works at that B&N, too?  Whodathunkit?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2004, 11:04:05 AM »

Welcome back, RLP!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2004, 11:06:23 AM »

Message to DR Matthew: As Music Director of the church, please be kind and let the secretary know your hymn choices as early in the week as possible. It is now Friday noon, and I haven't heard from my music director yet. Sometimes it has been as late as Saturday night.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2004, 11:11:07 AM »

Like BK, I and The Lovely Wife do not go out on NewYear's Eve.  I don't want to deal with drunks, driving, or celebratory stray bullets being fired off in the air which may fall to earth who knows where.  And quite frankly, I have never enjoyed the holiday.  Probably because everyone expects too much of it.  The few times I've actually ventured out to party on New Year's Eve in my life, the experience has been either boring or just plain disastrous.

So the wife and I cocoon with our critters in front of the telly with a stack of videos or Dvds, a bottle of champagne (or two), nibblies, and Christmas crackers to pull at midnight.  Occasionally, we will invite a few near and dear to join us, but that has gotten less so over the years.  It's usually just the two of us and the pets.  And it's eminently satisfying.

I have not yet pick today schedules of entertainment, but I'm sure it will be eclectic and strange.

We actually started last night by watching Gene Wilder and Bylthe Danner in the televised play, THE SCARECROW, which I had taped off A & E years ago when it was still the Arts & Entertainment Channel, but which we had never watched.

We then watched an Eddie Izzard show that he had performed at the Albery Theatre in London.  Izzard is a very smart, very funny British comedian.

CD: I'm listening to Guy Haines, A Wonderful Guy.

Book:  Reading The Vikings at Helgeland & The Pretenders by Henrik Ibsen
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 11:11:29 AM by Charles Pogue »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2004, 11:23:38 AM »

DR Laura.  If you were singing for me, I would be sure you recieved all the hymns or songs from me directly, not through some secretary!!!  

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2004, 11:24:45 AM »

DR Matthew: I mean so the secretary can type up the bulletin (and in my case take photos for the powerpoint).
She chooses the hymns and the readings, also.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 11:27:45 AM by DearReaderLaura »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2004, 11:25:52 AM »

Tonight we will be going to the annual Soup-Tasting Party at church, where a good time will be had by all.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2004, 11:43:21 AM »

Message to DR Matthew: As Music Director of the church, please be kind and let the secretary know your hymn choices as early in the week as possible. It is now Friday noon, and I haven't heard from my music director yet. Sometimes it has been as late as Saturday night.

That's unforgivable.  I'm the Director of Music Ministries at a large church here in the Portland area, and I always have the complete music program to the powers that be at least a month in advance.

In other exciting news, for those of you wanting a unique reading experience, the new issue of American Atheist is out (I kid you not--there is such a magazine), with a cover story about Frances Farmer and a lot of information culled from yours truly.  (They misprinted the URL for my website, but that is in the process of being corrected).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2004, 11:59:46 AM »

Go to this website and vote for Bruce Kimmel!!

http://www.hollywood.com/celebs/detail/celeb/1366891
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2004, 12:00:06 PM »

tonights festivities will require my driving up to Wilsonville to pick up my buddy Mark and his beau James and hightailing it up to West Linn to our friends Randy and Gregg's house where we will, with other invitees, watch movies, drink beverages (water/coffee for this designated driver), sit in the hot tub, and otherwise ring in the new year. Hopefully I will be able to stay awake until midnight! LOL! We will see...it is only noon here and already I am ready for a nap!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 12:01:53 PM by MBarnum »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2004, 12:13:37 PM »

Welcome back RLP!

I have missed your posts.
[/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2004, 12:37:40 PM »

Was I the only one to see RLP lurking yesterday?

Yes Ron - Loved the LOTR and its extra 40 minutes.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2004, 12:49:46 PM »

CD:  As a tribute to the great Artie Shaw, I'm currently listening to a boxed set of his recordings that I received a few Christmases ago from pal, Larry Drake.

Correction, Panni:  Doris Dowling did not bear Artie Shaw's "only" son...he had another one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2004, 01:14:31 PM »

I'm back, and the rain is done for the day, at least it looks like it's done for the day.  The sun is out and I've done all my errands.  I started by trekking over the hill to take some photos with my new digital camera - I was going to share them today, but the Dell Photo Studio in my PC is not "recognizing" the camera.  That will be one of the wonderful things about the Mac - you plug in the camera, it knows the camera, and launches iPhoto and loads the pix.  

I went to the Apple Store at The Grove.  I really do not care for The Grove - this is the first time I've ever actually walked around the "main street" type shopping area.  It reminded me of the village in The Prisoner, and it gave me the willies.  The Apple Store gave me a headache.  Too many things.  And what is with the outrageously high prices for iPods?  I saw some interesting software, including a sheet music program that I might pick up, as well as an adaptor which lets you plug in things like a turntable directly into the computer.  That seems like fun.  

I then went to my mail place, where there were many boxes waiting for me, although none of the DVDs I'm expecting from amazon Germany and HMV Australia.  My new Powerbook is here, my new slipcase for the Powerbook is here, my new software (Office 2004) for the Powerbook is here, along with some books I won on eBay and one I ordered from an online bookseller.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up