Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DANCE OF THE SEVEN VEILS  (Read 55358 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE DANCE OF THE SEVEN VEILS
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2005, 10:02:08 PM »

DR Ann - What an adventure!  So glad to know you and your sugar gliders and your car are all right!

-Must have been some residual HHW Vibes in the air!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2005, 10:04:27 PM »

DR Michael Shayne ~~~ FEEL BETTER AND GOOD DIAGNOSIS VIBES!!!~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »

I'm craving something sweet - but there is nothing sweet in the house except some vanilla ice cream - BORING.
Amalia didn't think so.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2005, 10:08:37 PM »

BK - I actually would go ahead and open the box.  As some other DRs have suggested, it's probably a good idea to make sure everything got shipped.  And to make sure you actually got a new one, and not some previously opened product.  -And you can also see if there are any forms to fill out for your warranty, etc.  -You don't want any unwelcome surprises come Tuesday when Mr. Mac Man comes by to get everything set up.

-Oh, and in the meantime, you could also start transferring/saving some of your files (Word, etc.) to discs and/or your "pen drive" - this will save a lot of time come Tuesday once your programs are set up on your new Mac.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2005, 10:12:15 PM »

Hmm... the more I look at this thing on my foot... certain religious things start popping into my head.  Now if another starts popping up on my other foot and then my hands, well...

-Yes, the above could sound a bit blasphemous and sacreligious...  You can take the boy out the church...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2005, 10:14:20 PM »

Ooohhh.... Ice Cream... I believe I have three pints of Edy's Dreamery in the freezer right now - Blackberry Avalanche, S'Mores and Strawberry Cheesecake... Hmm... Decisions, decisions...  (They were on sale two weeks ago, so...)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2005, 10:22:51 PM »

Well, I started to read the review and gave up because it's so obviously written by someone who is writing as a hobby that it's really not worth fuming about one way or the other. "Doing it for free" does not mean it's a professional doing it free. Actually, why WOULD a professional do it free?
I don't know anything about the site, but if this is being marketed as professional work on any level whatsoever, then the site is worthless. The problem with being a writer is that anyone can type a paragraph on a keyboard or pick up a pen. It seems to be the general consensus that all that's needed to be a writer is the time, the inclination and the venue. If I had a thousand dollars for every time I've heard "If I only had time, I'd write a screenplay/ novel/ short story/book of poems/how-to-book."
Yeah, me too. If I only had time, I'd do some brain surgery and basic plumbing on the side. Not that writing is quite as complex. But really, it does help to know what the hell you're doing.
End of rant.

Panni

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2005, 10:24:20 PM »

bk - open the box, maybe there's a chocolate bar in there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2005, 10:33:56 PM »

All right, I shall open the box.  Actually, I got two boxes, one with the Powerbook, and a separate one with Office 2004, a slipcase for the Powerbook and my AppleCare Protection plan.  So, outside of that, I think the only thing that will be in the box is the Powerbook.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2005, 10:38:30 PM »

That DVD site takes itself very seriously, and if you look at the responses, it's always "Great review, Michael" (or whoever the "reviewer" is) - no, it's not professional, but they're acting as if it were and as if their "reviews" held some kind of merit.  They don't, because it's a bunch of not-very-bright kids doing the "reviewing".  Not only that, but none of them have any kind of background which would give them leave to write a "review".  Many of them profess to have known nothing about film at all until the advent of DVD, and even then, most of them don't watch the classics.  Even the owner of the site has acknowledged that he'd never seen a classic film until DVD came along.  They have one guy who at least knows how to write in English, and who, while young, has a real appreciation for older films.  But, these guys are "reviewing" transfers without having the foggiest idea what the films originally looked like - and they blame transfers for replicating perfectly the look of a film.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2005, 10:49:20 PM »

BK, as I said a few weeks ago re: Amazon reviews; why would I want to go to a site where any yahoo, yob, or cretin can post and read the illiterate reviews of illiterate amateurs (or wade through the illiterate reviews to get to the handful of folks who actually might know what they're talking about)?  I'm sure there are plenty of sites you can go to get intelligent, professional reviews.  I like the compendium of movie reviews that appear on Rotten Tomatoes...all by professional entities.

I like vanilla ice cream.  I especially like vanilla shakes. I tell a lie.  I love vanilla shakes.  The best to be had may be the ones at the Beachwood Cafe.  A niller shake with a Milton's Deluxe with cheese and a side of fries is right fine lunch.  Earlier this afternoon, The Lovely Wife and I were quite decadent and had Foster Freeze vanilla, chocolate dipped cones.

Panni

« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2005, 10:56:40 PM »

There's nothing wrong with vanilla ice cream in general. Obviously I approve of it or it wouldn't be the only sweet item I have in my freezer. But what I'm craving is something decadent in the dark chocolate department. And vanilla ice cream, with all its virtues, is still NOT dark chocolate.
As I can't eat what I want, I'm going to bed to dream of chocolate. G'night.

Panni

« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2005, 10:59:31 PM »

I don't think it's raining "heavily".  It's raining lightly.

Five minutes from your home environment it's raining "heavily."
G'night.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 11:00:12 PM by Panni »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2005, 11:00:14 PM »

...Just waiting for the towels to finish washing so I can put them in the dryer before heading to bed... Nothing like clean towels in the morning!

-Wasn't "Waiting for the Towels to Dry?" the original title of Follies?  

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2005, 11:07:47 PM »

Hmmm...

I just walked into the living room where my roomie and his b/f were watching "Willy Wonka" on cable - gotta love that On Demand service!  Well, they both asleep on the couch.  It's actually sort of cute.  However, right before they started watching the movie, they had some food delivered from a pretty good kabob place nearby - they're always open late.  Well, my roomie ordered some sort of appetizer combo - falafel, hummous, baba-ghanouj, etc.  Well... What's really "cute" about my roomie falling asleep on the couch it that he's fallen asleep with food in hand.  Actually, his hands are IN the food.  Just like Palmolive - he's soaking in it.  At least the hummous and baba-ghanouj have olive oil in them.  I went in and turned off the TV, but I decided to let them keep sleeping.  I also didn't want to risk having hummous and baba-ghanouj flung at me if he happened to wake up startled.  Alas, the smell of garlic is now wafting all through the apartment - including my bedroom - but worse smells could be wafting through the place, so...

Hopefully, when they do wake up, nothing will get spilled, but.... I was planning on cleaning tomorrow anyway, so...

I'm sort of tempted to stay up and wait for them to wake up just to hear the reaction... Who knows, maybe I'll still be up anyway...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 11:09:38 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

La Jolie Femme

• I can't read your mind, but you don't know that.
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2005, 11:13:48 PM »

Ah, yes! What would have become of "The Six Brides for As Many Brothers"?  "The Six Deadly Sins"? "The Six Voyages of Sinbad"? Seven is definitely the magical number and six is the loneliest number you can ever do...apart from one. It's the Next loneliest since the number two.

Hello Kimlets! Have any of you noticed that Guy Haines has a most magical voice? We (the Brave and Manly Husband) and I were listening to his recent C-D and I started crying like so much fish!  I mean "Evening Star" just breaks my heart. So very clear and pure and (Thank you God) on pitch. I get so wrapped up in voices that are simple and absolutely unadorned, that I had to...Oh, and "What Can You Lose?" and "When You're Alone"!

Suffice it to say, if I ever meet him I will insist upon bearing his children! Or an autograph.

And then I will cook him dinner, as only Euro-Southern cooks can.

Happy New Year, everyone! Happy to be amongst The Chosen.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 11:15:44 PM by La Jolie Femme »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2005, 11:16:13 PM »

I will pass your kind thoughts on to Mr. Guy Haines.  

I love Fosters Freeze.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2005, 11:20:04 PM »

I had put "The Art of Arleen Auger" in my CD player, but the Libby Larsen cycle that opens the disc proved to a bit cerebral for 2:00AM.  So, now I have Lambert, Hendricks & Ross "Sing A Song of Basie" playing...  These cats are swingin'!

-And Jon Hendricks' vocalese is/are/?? simply stunning!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2005, 11:31:50 PM »

I'd like to swing some cats.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2005, 11:42:49 PM »

I'd like to swing some cats.

"Operator... I'd like the number to the Studio City chapter of the SPCA..."

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2005, 11:46:12 PM »

Oohh... back to the radio now... Barber's "Excursions"!  One of my favorite set of pieces.  I played them for my Junior Recital in college. Hmm... and I'm liking this version... I'll have to write down the pianist's name when it/he finishes.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2005, 11:47:35 PM »

I'd like to swing some excursions.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2005, 11:47:56 PM »

After two weeks, the WUSSBURGERS have returned to haineshisway.com

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2005, 11:53:41 PM »

I'm making a separate CD of the Dutch Sweet Charity from BK's interview.  I had to fade the last chords (the buttons) of some songs because the host (not BK) spoke before they completely went silent.  I hate it when that happens. :-\ Otherwise, the songs sound real good.  Of course, I have no idea who any of the singers are, but at least I have the recording.  It's pretty good.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2005, 11:57:08 PM »

The singers are all named Dutch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2005, 11:57:20 PM »

New notes in a mere two minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2005, 11:57:44 PM »

It's still raining.  We've had more rain this month than in the last two years combined.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2005, 11:58:21 PM »

The singers are all named Dutch.

Sounds like an eBay auction! ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2005, 11:58:22 PM »

I think I shall open the Powerbook box.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2005, 11:58:49 PM »

But first, I think I shall post the new notes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up