Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK TO WORK  (Read 28882 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BACK TO WORK
« on: October 29, 2003, 12:26:41 AM »

Work, work, work.  I'll need lots and lots of posts to keep me going through the day.

In the meantime, more art - this was used for an Arrow Shirt Ad circa 1920s:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 12:16:32 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:BACK TO WORK
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 01:32:04 AM »

Having a separate thread for DVD posts is probably a good idea, if just to make it easier to find opinions about different DVDs.  I'd suggest having sub-threads, for Comedies, Dramas, Television, stuff like that.  I don't think the usual Hainsie or Kimlet would have trouble figuring out what sub-category is for what film.  Unless they're dealing with the Branaugh Hamlet, which crosses over all borders.  KB is such a card!   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 01:35:24 AM »

[size=9]FIRST POST![/size]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]dance dance dance dance dance[/move][/i][/b]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 01:57:28 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 02:45:16 AM »

I like everything in one place - but then a separate DVD thread would have everything about DVD's in one place!  I will vote for whatever the majority wants!

I will check on some more art this evening, Mr BK.  But that is a mystery painting for sure.

DR MBarnum if your photos were from Brian's Drive In - that is a Geocities site that doesn't allow a hot link to its photos, you will get a red x or nuttin when you try even if it shows up for you at first.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 02:49:56 AM »

??? Did you ever click "quick reply" when you meant the other?

My question for ask BK day:  I was watching The Legend of Tom Dooley on the Westerns channel and noticed that Ronald Stein was credited with the music, although there was also a credit for the Kingston Trio song.  And that is the only music I heard, dropped in throughout the film, as if someone just dropped the needle on different parts of the record.

Did Stein compose anything for that film?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 02:51:04 AM by JRand53 »

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 02:55:36 AM »

Despite the sometimes "Slog" of going through all the posts, I would prefer the usual "free form" board as I think the site would become too "clinical". What makes the site fun is its unpredictability of direction.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 02:58:58 AM »

A question for those who know (JACK!). Did the Kingston Trio ever sing"And The Green Grass Grew All Around"? Once again a coincidence. I was asked about it today but only have a "best of" CD of the KT and two "best Of" Lps.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 03:02:46 AM »

Tom - I don't remember that they did - I just remember that song from The Mickey Mouse Club!  I will check though.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 04:10:08 AM »

I think I would vote against having a separate area for DVD threads. I like them here as in the past postings have gone in other exciting directions. If one starts with DVD, then people will want one for musicals, television etc.

It is the unpredictabilty of the postings here at HHW that makes postings so much fun!!!

JUST MY

« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 04:15:32 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 04:31:56 AM »

The Legend of T9om Dooley can be found on this CD

They didn't sing "And The Green Grass Grew All Around" , but they sang something similar Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

Tom from Oz

I went through the collector's series of The KIngston Trio (2 albums per CD) and there is nothing there under that name. BUT I also looked at the Capitol  Box set and there is a song called Green Grasses could this be the one you are looking for? It is on the 2nd cd of 4.  Picture below.

and if it is the same song (I went back to look at the collector's series)  then it can be also found here as a bonus track

I hope this helps
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 05:24:09 AM »

LOL MDS - I did the same searches and came up with the same result.  "Green Grasses" is not the song Tom was asking about.  I don't think KT ever recorded it, but they certainly were prolific!

I haven't even begun on The NEW Kingston Trio - maybe they laid down the track!

Michael

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 05:35:29 AM »

I just caught the last 25 minutes of Li'L Abner of TV what a lot fun that was and that Leslie Parish was very pretty and winsome!
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 05:39:43 AM »

I'm thinking a separate DVD thread would be good, but I think I will be outvoted judging from the early returns here. Oh, well. I'll hop over to the radio board and mention the Karen Morrow interview that we talked a little about last week (since she doesn't do computers and e-mail).

Question for BK: Did you see the 1971 Los Angeles production of Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum with Nancy Walker? I heard she was wonderful. She didn't move to Broadway with the revival, instead choosing to stay in California.

Back later.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 05:40:22 AM »

28 posts to go for FULL MEMBERSHIP!

Michael

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2003, 05:47:22 AM »

And The Green Grass Grew All Around

I did a quick google search and Pete Seeger performs this song on Stories and Songs for Little Children.

Also Tex Ritter sang the song

It seems that is sung by Boy Scouts and the  authors are unknown

but so far nothing with the Kingston Trio.

Off to work. See y'all later
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2003, 06:03:01 AM »

I come into work and what to my wondering eyes should appear (a Night Before Christmas reference) but the Rhino Mame CD. I'm excited, but I'm also afraid, very afraid ;). I will listen to it this morning. I read the booklet (a little thin but not bad). I'm disappointed that there is no extra material. Oh, well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2003, 06:20:48 AM »

I agree Ben - not putting extra material on the MAME cd is a disappointment.  I have listened to it once, it sounds okay.  I am glad to have it since my LP is very old.  ;D

Lucy is Lucy - and I love Lucy, so I like MAME to a point.  It is fun.  She is NO Rosalind Russell for sure, but she doesn't hold back and way back when - it was fun to see her on the BIG screen.

I have heard that the Lucy MAME trailer is included on the AUNTIE MAME dvd.  I haven't seen it...is it there?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2003, 06:21:32 AM »

Good luck on the new job, BK.

Yes - a seperate thread for DVDs would be good and also how about a seperate thread for reality shows for those who are interested.

And speaking of seperate, why not make Ask BK Day and Ask Dear Reader Day two different days?  I miss the method of asking BK questions one day and then reading all the answers the next.

And speaking of Ask BK Day, I have two questions regarding the recording of LUCKY STIFF:

1) Why was this a part Original Cast/part BK Rep Players recording?  Were some OC members not available or was it an artistic choice?

2) Was the orchestration heard on the recording the same one initially used in the show or was it augmented for recording?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2003, 06:24:09 AM »

Minor Rant - I HATE SHRINK WRAP!!!. Opening a new, shrink wrapped CD becomes a project, trying to find a spot where you can tear the indestructable plastic and then having it come off in pieces. AHHHH.

I feel better now. OK, I Love You, Buh Bye (an Animaniacs reference).

Remember, Yako spelled backwards is  Okay.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2003, 06:25:26 AM »

Actually, Okay spelled backwards is Yako. Sorry bout that.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2003, 06:29:15 AM »

Ben there is a device (not from Ronco) that will open your CD in a flash.  I forget what it is called, but check at WalMart!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2003, 06:33:42 AM »

Good morning all.  I'm up early to do the studying I didn't do last night.  I tried,  but I fell asleep with my book across my face and a highlighter still in my hand.  
I'm very firmly in the no DVD thread camp.  I agree with Tom, once that starts, others will follow, until we have categories for every type of discussion, and we lose the wonderful flow that our notes have.  Yes it's a pain to slog through, particularly if you're looking for a specifc reply, but we managed on the other format for two years, and I think we can continue to do so.
Off to Starbucks to read and drink coffee in the rain.  Wow, I sound like such a Seattle girl :o

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2003, 06:34:55 AM »

By the way, I've designed a wonderful Egyptian costume for Halloween this year, and I will indeed post a pic of it on Friday

Ben

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2003, 06:42:15 AM »

Forgot to mention that I gave you Karma WFO but I didn't mention my good thoughts to you and Joe during your period of difficulty in court.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2003, 06:56:41 AM »

Of course, I'll go with the flow, but my first instinct was NOT to have a separate area for DVDs. All of our discussions are so free flowing, and that's part of the enjoyment of this site.

Pics in Halloween costumes? I thought I picture I had up was frightening enough!

For Ask BK Day: What one classic Hollywood film not already released do you want to have on DVD?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2003, 07:48:43 AM »

Oh, I meant to answer your question about the MAME trailer. Yes, it's on the DVD for AUNTIE MAME.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Angela

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2003, 07:52:19 AM »

JR: Loved the picture of "Little Joe" brings back so many memories watching Bonanza with the family.

TD: Bestill my heart, pictures of Angel, Spike and WESLEY!

Ah, another day and another bing bang from the roofers.....

My vote is to not separate the DVD topics.  Just my two cents worth.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 07:53:13 AM by Angela »
Where ever you go, there you are.........

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2003, 08:06:39 AM »

Here is the pic MBarnum tried to post yesterday:

It doesn't appear to be a GeoCities site, but just in case, we'll skin the cat another way:

the cat-skinnig der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2003, 08:12:47 AM »

Well, just to make it a horse-race, I'd like a separate DVD thread.  Speaking of threads, my craft-maven wife made her own buttons for a new coat she's sewing last night out of fimo dough.  That way if she's lost in the wilderness, she'll have something to eat.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2003, 08:14:05 AM »

BTW, I do agree with some of the previous posts that this new format makes it a little harder to slog through all the posts.  I just don't have enough time in the day, so I am sure I am missing much mirth and merriment (and, possibly, legs).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up