Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK TO WORK  (Read 28580 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:BACK TO WORK
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2003, 08:16:19 AM »

Of course, I am just a guest in this here house, but I personally prefer not to have a separate DVD area.  I agreee with Matt, that the free flowing format is what makes this site so special.  I doubt I would ever go into a DVD-only area, and yet by having the discussions all mixed together, I have discovered certain films that I might never have normally watched, but did so, based entirely on a HHW review.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2003, 08:18:28 AM »

Thanks, MattH!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2003, 08:19:50 AM »

Oh, no!  Cinemascope yet again.  I thought I'd done everything right.
Sorry.
Here's my question again:
Ask BK:

In terms of quality, is there a difference between places that duplicate CDs?

I think I'm going to run 250, and have a friend in Buffalo who wants to beat the price of any house I find here in Manhattan.

And how important is packaging to the sales prospects?  Do I need a shrink-wrapped jewel case like you find in the store?  Is a paper sleeve too cheap and flimsy?  Would it make a difference to have a graphic printed directly on the CD or could it be a sticker stuck to the CD?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2003, 08:22:24 AM »

I'll post more later from work, but I want to say the only thing I find different about slogging through a plethora of posts here rather than the old way, is that one has to go through pages.  Once caught up, however, it's actually easier here, because you can use the "new" button shortcut which takes you directly to the last post you read.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2003, 08:24:35 AM »

Sorry, Noel - please, can someone help Noel with the photo stuff - it was a sweet photo and everyone should see it.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2003, 08:27:24 AM »

I just love that "new" button. It saves a lot of time and searching.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2003, 08:28:35 AM »

Urinetown has to move. According to the NY Times and Playbill On-Line, the Durst Corporation which owns the Henry Miller Theatre, will be renovating the theatre and surrounding area and Urinetown will have to move by Februrary. They are looking into moving into another theatre, though nothing is open right now. They also mentioned that they might go Off-Broadway but due to union contracts and other issues, that is a long-shot. They don't want to close but it's up in the air right now.

Here is the Playbill link. It's hard to read the Times piece unless you're registered at the Times

http://www.playbill.com/index.php

Kerry

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2003, 08:29:31 AM »

Ben, get the little CD opener thing from Broadway Cares--it's a better cause.

BK-- you never answered my question fromlast week.  ON "Jeepers Creeper," is it you or Guy haines who does the speaking intro to Susan's "Living Doll"?  It sdounds more like you than Guy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2003, 08:31:50 AM »

How do I attach/send a photo with muy post?  It's not working for me
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2003, 08:33:18 AM »

Thanks DerBrucer for posting the Mark Forest photo for me!

I don't understand how the pic can just disappear like that!  >:(

Anyway...Mr. Forest's interview will be in the new issue of Scarlet Street coming to a magazine rack near you...also contributing to this issue is JRand53, BK, and TD...so it will be a HHW free-for-all on Scarlet Street this month!!!

BK, the arrow shirt painting is quite nice!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2003, 08:33:37 AM »

In case anyone has missed it, each of us has the ability to entirely delete a post we've created.  Sometimes, when I've CinemaScoped a page, I'll delete the post, re-size the photo and post again.

DVD Section:  Sure, why not.  As long as the reality of having such a section does not preclude our discussing DVDs in the general discussion area.  In other words, as long as it's business as usual and, oh! by the way, we have a place where you can really let loose and talk solely about DVDs, then fine!

If we were to have to cease and desist discussing DVDs or anything else in General Discussion, HHW would die for me.  I like the variety.  

What would be discussed if everything got segmented?  You need peope with a wide range of interests, but different.  .

Mr. Lurie:  Sorry you've been bothered by our discussions of reality shows here.  What helps me when I've been bored by something is that I move along knowing that others will do the same when I'm boring them.  No harm, no foul.  It's part of living in this world "together" without insulting one another.

But that's my $.02.  Inflation being what it is.

(P.S. I had a sentence, originally, speculating that a list stripped of variety would result in a lot of verba[l] diarrhea, but decided to modify it.  Thus, JRand53's following post about "verba " [I had a typo] people makes no sense any longer without this explanation.  )
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 08:56:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2003, 08:38:42 AM »

I know Ron, I hate verba peope, too!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2003, 08:40:04 AM »

Noel - after you scan your photos, do you crop them?  There was a LOT of white around that picture....

If you can crop it and then just resize it you will be fine.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2003, 08:44:52 AM »

Comment the First:

RE: “I must be on my way to my new gig”

Is that your Gig on the left?

Comment the Second:

RE: “I’m quite certain that I will be insane within a week…”

We shall bite our tongues!

Comment the Third:

RE: “…so you’ll have to keep the home fires burning…”

Ya want more fires here in SoCal, already?

Comment the Forth:

RE: “On Friday, everyone here should take photos of themselves in costume and post them to our message board.

Well, on Friday afternoon I will be sending Woody 21 stories deep into the bowels of the earth to prowl Dinosaur (Grand Canyon) Caverns. Since I’ll have to stay up top with the doggies, they’ll be no chance for pix of Woody in his underwear in the underworld.

On Friday eve we’ll be at Grand Canyon; maybe I can dress up as a mule (some folks have said my father was probably a Jack Ass, and I’ve oft been compared to a horse’s ass, so the transformation should be a snap).

Ever-moving der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2003, 08:59:14 AM »

I missed something somewhere - is the show Mr BK is working on the Urban Cowboy Reality Show?  Or did I dream that?  And what network/service is it for?

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2003, 08:59:35 AM »

I think that I would vote for NOT having a separate section for DVD talk. I like the variety of discussion on HHW, I learn so many new things here about stuff I otherwise wouldn't have discovered for myself. If it all is segmented then I do believe I would miss a lot.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2003, 09:04:14 AM »

By the way, I've designed a wonderful Egyptian costume for Halloween this year, and I will indeed post a pic of it on Friday

DR Ann - is your costume inspired by AIDA, CLEOPATRA, or THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?   ;D

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2003, 09:26:27 AM »

Maybe she's going as the Captain of the Pharaoh's legions!

;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2003, 09:28:10 AM »

I'm always scared for a show when it has to move as I think it somehow dulls the momentum of the show to pick up and settle in at a new venue. And I want URINETOWN to continue to run as I haven't seen it yet and won't get to NYC until next summer (more than likely).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2003, 09:29:54 AM »

DR MBarnum wrote:
Ok, will try again the newfangled Jennifer way of adding a pic

Well I'd like to take the credit. But it was Der Brucer's method. I'm just a supporter of it!

Btw, I think others have figured out why your pics are turning up as Red Xs. But I think you have the "idea" of posting pictures, right? Try one from a regular website.

DR Kerry wrote:
How do I attach/send a photo with muy post?  It's not working for me

There are two ways to do it.  I will email you the info (if you don't understand it, just email me back).

I have a question.  Now that we are figuring out how to post pictures, we are picture posting trigger happy.  But the problem is that it takes much longer to load the pages here.  Is is possible that we try to control ourselves a bit. Like only a couple pictures each a day. It took me like 5 minutes to load page 1 today :(

Btw, I have a wonderful picture of my devil goddess halloween costume from either last year or the year before. And I even have it on my computer.  Hmmmmmm :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2003, 09:39:39 AM »

I didn't aim to slow you down....I uploaded Michael Landon....and as Juanita Juanita said....."He ees jus' so beeeeg!!!"  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2003, 09:41:21 AM »

By the way, I've designed a wonderful Egyptian costume for Halloween this year, and I will indeed post a pic of it on Friday

DR Ann - is your costume inspired by AIDA, CLEOPATRA, or THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?   ;D

I bet on Zoe, the ever-willing dancer from THE EGYPTIAN.

der Brucer (remembering HS days)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2003, 09:59:55 AM »

Sorry, Noel - please, can someone help Noel with the photo stuff - it was a sweet photo and everyone should see it.

Not to fear - help is near.

ever-helpful der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2003, 10:21:57 AM »

I have a question / comment / suggestion.  What would happen, if BK and Mark set up a separate area where we could post all of the pictures that we wanted to post?  If it was separate from the main discussion area, would it still make it slow for people trying to sign on or would it only be slow for those wanting to view the photos?

I would hate to see all of these wonderful photos disappear from this site, especially some of the ones we saw yesterday, but, at the same time I don't want to make it difficult for other members to access the regular chat.

I normally agree that less is better, but there must be a way to compromise?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2003, 10:36:35 AM »

Greetings all!

Regarding the question of having a separate thread for discussion of DVDs:  My vote is no.  I quite enjoy the meandering stream of consciousness that occurs here on this single thread.  A separate DVD discussion thread, I fear, would dilute a key source of enjoyment of this site.

Regarding the Arrow Shirt advertisement painting:  Very nice, but what is the gentleman doing with his left hand?

My question for Ask BK and Ask Dear Readers today:  Is there some non-musical property--be it from the stage, film or books--that you would like to see made into a musical?  Feel free to suggest what creative team (or individual composer/lyricist/book writer) would be best suited, in your opinion, to create the new musical.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2003, 10:55:15 AM »

Der Brucer's picture is changing.  This is all very surreal! Quick thoughts on last nights "Seussical" experience.  It's the brand new non-equity tour that just began about 3 weeks ago.  Besides the tempo's being WAY too slow, the show was sung well.   Blocking and stuff needs to be tightened still, but the sets were very minimal which worked really well. The lighting was very interesting, mostly a lot of projections and veri-lights that were really cool.  Another positive thing is that they used the original Broadway costumes, which were cool. My only complaint is that this (and other non-equity tours) are holding up the rights for community theatre or schools  to do exciting new shows like "Seussical".  Catch it if it comes to your town, and say hi to Horton the Elephant, he's a pal of mine from early community theatre endeavors.  Oh, and there was no playbill... too bad, so sad.  :(

Ben

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2003, 10:56:29 AM »

A picture board might not be a bad idea. How much bandwidth would it take up, though? We seem to be a picture happy bunch and if the radio shows get loaded to the site soon, we may be a bandwidth hog group as well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2003, 10:58:02 AM »

Sorry - no one seemed prepared for my arrival today, so the morning has thus far been spent getting me in an office, setting up a computer (still not working properly - I using one of the edit bay computers), getting me a viewing station, my tapes, and my transcripts, etc.  Tomorrow should be smoother.  I'll try to get to your questions on the lunch break.

Don't fear - I'm not creating new sections here for no reason.  I just decided to hear your thoughts.  I would never sacrifice the flow of the posts, which is why I was so adamant about the design of the board - I hate those sites that use boards like this where there a hundreds of topics - not for me.  So, for now, I'm getting the impression to not have a separate DVD section.  

Ben

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2003, 11:03:12 AM »

I would like to see another musical version of The Women. I know that The Opposite Sex is the film musical version of the show but I would like to see a musical stage version. Don't have any ideas yet about who could/should write it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 11:04:02 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2003, 11:04:02 AM »

DR Jay - what a good question!  ;D

I think Father of the Bride would make a nice musical comedy.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up