Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK TO WORK  (Read 28886 times)

Ben

Re:BACK TO WORK
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2003, 11:05:14 AM »

Oh, yes, JRand. I agree. And I LOVE the edit feature for when you preefrood too fast and mist makestakes and deed to norect them.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2003, 11:06:44 AM »

I promised some comments about my concert last night at the new Walt Disney Concert Hall.  The concert itself was quite enjoyable.  It was Murray Perahia leading the Academy of Saint Martin in the Fields in some chestnuts by Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.  The playing was precise, and the accoustics clear and warm.

As for the hall, what struck me most was the beauty of the auditorium.  I really like the exterior of the building, with its curves of stainless steel, but now that I've seen it, I like the interior even more.  The auditorium is almost entirely of honey-toned wood.  The room's shape, particularly the curved walls and "billowing" ceiling, creates a sense that one is in an enormous sailing ship.  The audience surrounds the orchestra, and there is a great sense of intimacy between listeners and players.   Last night I was in the balcony, which is about as far from the stage as one can get, and I was quite satisfied with the sight lines from my seat.  Tomorrow night I sit in the Terrace, which is the middle section.  (This is where I will be seated for all the concerts in my subscription.)  Later on in the season, I hope to have the opportunity to purchase individual tickets for the orchestra section and what they call the "View" section, which is behind the orchestra, facing the conductor.

A stunning spray of organ pipes (they've been likened to a mega-size order of French fries) provide a visual centerpiece in the hall.  (The organ is still being tuned and will not be making its debut until next year.  It takes that long to tune an organ, I have learned.)  The seats are quite comfortable and covered in a highly colorful contemporary floral pattern fabric.  

Daytime tours of the hall begin November 1.  If you are visiting L.A., I highly recommend you check out this new landmark.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2003, 11:08:48 AM »

Thank you, Dear der Brucer, for all your help.
Now, if only I had some understanding of the process that led to the non-cinemascope picture..
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2003, 11:09:05 AM »

This is a wierd one, but I have always thought that PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE could be made into a really fun musical...sort of like they did with LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.

Jay

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2003, 11:10:31 AM »

DR Jay - what a good question!  ;D

Why thank you, Dear Reader JRand53.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2003, 11:13:40 AM »

Der Brucer's picture is changing.  This is all very surreal!

I presume you mean the picture of Grand Canyon Caverns. That is an animated .gif file (similar to the ones that make the smiles jump and dance, or BK's yo-yo go up and down). I didn't do any thing trickey, just copied the link from their web site.

the ever-changing der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2003, 11:14:27 AM »

DR Jay - thanks for the info about the new Walt Disney Concert Hall.  It sounds beautiful.

I only wish Miss Annette Funicello could give a concert there....she celebrated her 61st birthday a week ago, and I forgot to post about it!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2003, 11:25:53 AM »

I do like seeing the occasional picture.  But you have no idea how long it is taking to load.  I love the idea of having a separate place to post pictures. I don't think that would affect loading time, would it? What a great idea!

I didn't want to get rid of posting pictures, because I know how much some people enjoy it. It's just frustrating for those of us with slower modems.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2003, 11:29:17 AM »

Thank you, Dear der Brucer, for all your help.
Now, if only I had some understanding of the process that led to the non-cinemascope picture..

Step 1. I loaded your file into Microsoft Picture! Express (a small but functional photo editor that often comes bundled for free with scanners, cameras, and the like.

Step 2. I simply cut out the portion of the picture I wanted and saved it to a new .jpg file.

Step 3. I uploaded the .jpg into my HHW album in PictureTrail.com (a subsciber photo-hosting service designed primarily for EBay users - if you log onto the site, they give you a 90 day free trial and later you can get a full subscription for about $20 (I think) a year. PictureTrail then creates a URL for the photo which I can cut and paste into the img][/img phrase created when you click on the insert image icon.

One nice thing about PictureTrail is that they let you create gobs of folders and store a gazillion pictures. You can store one for a friend and provide them with a linkable URL without giving them access to the rest of your stuff. Should I delete your picture, or drop my Picture Trail subscription, the link would no longer work. (However, once the pic is in a message, anyone can right-click it and save the file to their own computer.)

Would you like to set the above to Music ? -

"The Right-Click URL Tango"

or maybe a "Pix Post" number ala the Time Warp.

the planning on giving an end-of-week-quiz der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2003, 11:30:37 AM »

Does anyone know of a good place to get free pumpkin patterns? I need something good for this year.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2003, 11:32:59 AM »

I really don't think THE WOMEN has been musicalized yet. THE OPPOSITE SEX certainly has music in it, but all the songs are performance pieces, not developed from character motivation. I agree that it would seem to be MADE for musicalization, must more so than something like THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH, which Kander and Ebb have done.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2003, 11:39:57 AM »

Yep I definitely think it's the photos that is making the loading impossible. This page has no pics and loads very fast.  I wonder if smilies making loading slower. Even though that craze has lessened, I love those!  I cannot wait till friday when i can post the costumed ones!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2003, 11:40:30 AM »

I do like seeing the occasional picture.  But you have no idea how long it is taking to load. ... It's just frustrating for those of us with slower modems.

I don't think it's a modem problem. I use an old fashioned 26K dial-up modem on my relatively slow Pentium II and the pages load and scroll as fast as one could wish. The major slow-down on internet picture downloading is computer RAM size. An older 64KRAM machine is dog-slow, whereas my modest 128KRAM works just fine. Creating multiple messages for more than one picture is a chimera - the computer still has to down-load all the pictures on the page whether or not they are in one message. There can be a problem, however, when folks attach a large picture file (a file designed to print a pretty picture is much larger than one designed for posting or Email. Most camera software allows you to save your pix in Email sizes. The pictures of BK's book signing were 300-500 KBytes out of the camera, but were only 25KByte .jpgs when I posted them.

Confused enough?

der Brucer

td

• td
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2003, 11:45:52 AM »

big surprise: I would actually vote "no" to a seperate dvd area!  (as much as I love dvds and movies, I like the informal potpourri of voices and topics here at HHW2).  I like that there is a TOD, which gets turned inside out and upside down before coming back to the topic at hand.

I would second (or third) the motion for a seperate Photo Section, though.  (I'm on dsl, so the upload time isn't a question for me). I think that we should look out for those with lower broadbands, and if we have a picture to post, we can tell all the dear readers where to go to see the picture; that way the interested parties will see the post and the picture, should they choose to.

I'm certainly glad that there are other dear readers who appreciated the pictures of Angel, Spike and Wesley. . . :)

MAYBE, we could have a "picture day" TOD,  say one of the slower days at HHW, where we could share pictures, and keep the picture posting to a minimum on the other days.  Just a thought.

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2003, 12:06:04 PM »

I know that Jay's question was in regards to non-musical works that would be turned into musicals.  So, in that vein (and it is not polite to scoff) I have been working for years on a musical version of Edna Ferber's Giant.  Now, I said, don't scoff!  In my musical version, Jett Rink (the James Dean character) is the central focus of the show (he is the Giant, not just Texas).  Unfortunately, I am not much of a songwriter.  Maybe Noel needs a new challenge?

One movie that is already a musical, but one that I would love to see brought to the stage, is The Court Jester.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2003, 12:06:55 PM »

Those of you who have not yet visited the new board for the Radio Show must hie thee over and see Mr. Feltham's posting. Quite a picture of him. Hmmm, he seems to have changed a bit. Good lookin' man.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2003, 12:07:03 PM »

the ever-changing der Brucer.
As a matter of fact, he's just changed again into a really slinky number with blue and green sequins.  It clashes with my plaid lumberjack shirt.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2003, 12:08:13 PM »

My office computer is finally up and running, although it is so slow that they have to come in and clean the hard drive off tonight.  Even so, the "load" time, even with images, isn't any slower than at home - I don't think the dial-up modem is the problem - I think it's what someone said earlier, the computer's ram or whatever the hell you  call it.  Maybe we'll do a photo section at some point, but I do enjoy seeing them here, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2003, 12:10:52 PM »

Does anyone here have a copy of The Big Reel?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2003, 12:10:59 PM »

Who makes misteaks, DR Bin?  ;D

Grrrrrr...now I want to go home and watch GIANT and THE COURT JESTER.The Danny Kaye LP I got last week at the sale for 50 cents, doesn't have anything from CJ on it, but it does have DK doing the very funny Cole Porter song "Madame, I Love Your Crepe Suzettes."

Would it help if we just posted the links to the pictures instead of the pictures themselves?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2003, 12:12:34 PM »

As much as I admire Cole Porter, and as much as I think True Love is a beautiful song, I'm not sure that High Society did justice to The Philadelphia Story as a musical.  I'd commission the Ahrens/Flaherty/McNally troika to handle its creation.

td

• td
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2003, 12:27:51 PM »

Does anyone here have a copy of The Big Reel?

The magazine, BK?

I don't.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2003, 12:32:33 PM »

Wake up time for me. Thank you Mike and Jack for the Kingston Trio information, I also asked a question about the singer of the Mary Tyler Moore TV Show (Love Is All Around). Was it Sonny Curtis? Any help there would be appreciated.

I of course would like all "Reality Show" comments banished to a far off thread. (I know there are a fans out there and I can just skip all the posts!). Each to his own.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2003, 12:40:12 PM »

TCB Have you considered combining the plots of "Giant" and "The Court Jester"?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2003, 12:57:34 PM »

Wake up time for me. Thank you Mike and Jack for the Kingston Trio information, I also asked a question about the singer of the Mary Tyler Moore TV Show (Love Is All Around). Was it Sonny Curtis? Any help there would be appreciated.

I of course would like all "Reality Show" comments banished to a far off thread. (I know there are a fans out there and I can just skip all the posts!). Each to his own.

http://www.geocities.com/tvshowthemelyrics/MaryTylerMooreSong.html

Of course, it was DR Tom!

Thanks for the snail mail, too!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

td

• td
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2003, 12:58:24 PM »

What happens if I post for the 50th time? ? ? ?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2003, 12:58:33 PM »

Combine Court Jester and Giant.  Cute, Tom from Oz!  Would that star Rock Kaye and Danny Dean, with a cameo by Elizabeth Lansbury?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2003, 12:58:34 PM »

I see that DR Jason is browsing this here board, but I haven't seen any posts.

I sure hope the mice haven't chewed through his "mouse" cable!

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2003, 01:01:06 PM »

Yeah, Jason, any news from The Rat Patrol?
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2003, 01:04:20 PM »

TCB: I think James Dean knew where to put the pestle. The mortar was for the water. And what happened to Pia Angeli. Today's trivia: She recorded a version of "Volare" on the wonderful old Roulette label. This free form board has to stay.
td: Thank you indeed. Did you feel a change come upon you as you crossed the 50 barrier? Hope you really didn't join the other side.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up