Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK TO WORK  (Read 29200 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:BACK TO WORK
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2003, 04:12:31 PM »

There's nothing like a temblor to quicken the pulse and to convince you to reassess the layout of your apartment!

Is that too high?  Would it kill me if it fell on my head?  

Will that fall over or collapse?  Will I be able to walk through all those CDs if they're strewn all over the floor (if there IS a floor)?

Yep!  It makes you think!  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 04:14:21 PM by Ron Pulliam »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2003, 04:27:40 PM »

Fortunately, here on the East Coast, we don't have to worry about earthquakes and such. No, we have hurricaines to keep us on our toes. Good vibeage to you poor Californians. I would move in a heartbeat. "Here are your choices: burn to death, or have the world crumble at your feet. Literally."

I got new music from my voice teacher today. This week's piece: Green Finch and Linnet Bird from Sweeney Todd. Thoughts?
...Walk in the sunshine...

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2003, 04:40:20 PM »

Every location has it's plusses and minuses. I've lived in California for 24 years and am doing just fine. I've lived through major earthquakes, fires, droughts, etc. and wouldn't trade it for pretty much anywhere else.

The ground didn't crumble beneath any feet. It shook. Once.  For about a second and a half. I'll take that and some falling ash over the extreme seasonal weather/temps, tornadoes and hurricanes anyday. :)

Ben

« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2003, 04:43:52 PM »

I needs must post at least so I am not out of the loop until tomorrow morning around 7am when I can catch up on all the evening posts.

Have fun you night owls.

Ben

« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2003, 04:44:34 PM »

Only 16 more till full membership!

Jennifer

« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2003, 04:46:54 PM »

RonP wrote:
I don't know how the conversation suddenly started swinging toward NOT posting pix here.  It's part of what makes the board interesting, IMO.

Well I know how it got started.  It's because a bunch of people have been posting many pictures, and it's taking some of us a very long time to load those pages.

I like seeing some pictures too.  Although I think the idea of saying what the pic is and linking to it is also an idea.

I think those who suggested not posting pics here (don't remember who said it, sorry) were just trying to come up with a solution, so people don't suffer.  And being one of the sufferers, I do really appreciate people being considerate like that.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2003, 04:47:16 PM »

And here I am wondering if I 'll get another star when I post 39 more times!

Emily

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2003, 04:51:14 PM »

Hello everyone.

I'm back from a very long day that would not end.  School and Work then Dinner at my sister's house.  Looooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg day! :(

I want to try out this picture idea... lemme give poutine a try....

(I did a goodle image search and found more than 10 pages of pictures of poutine in various arrangements... God bless the internet!)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 04:52:48 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2003, 05:04:50 PM »

Poutine!!!  So far, I've eaten a chicken salad sandwich on rye bread, and some cole slaw.  Pretty good, and not too fattening.  I'm actually leaving work a bit early so they can work on my computer now.  So, let's get some postin' goin' on and I'll join in the merriment and mirth and laughter and legs when I get home.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2003, 05:05:11 PM »

Swishy Sarah-

That's one hell of a great song.Go for it!!!

Jed

« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2003, 05:18:42 PM »

I strongly join with those against a seperate DVD thread on this here board.  The segmentation of topics and such was the one fear I had when we had "the big changeover," and I was oh-so-unspeakably pleased that there was no such thing going on here.  The great mish-mash of topics here, on or off topic, interesting to all or few, whatever... all part of the HHW charm, I feel.

As for pictures, I think they will continue to be used, but in lesser numbers, as the novelty of this new ability wears off.  Yes, heavily picture-laden pages take quite some time to load on my computer, but I'm confident that soon the onslaught will lessen and we'll just have occasional pics that add a nice perk to the discussions.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2003, 05:22:55 PM »

Maya - If you don't like essay questions, just be glad you've never taken a class from DR Ann's mother.  She is the queen of essay questions.  That said, she is absolutely the finest teacher I've ever had, and I was very fortunate to have taken music history from her.
Classes from her father (I had him for Counterpoint) are an entirely different matter... the man is incredibly brilliant, but completely off his rocker!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 05:23:46 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2003, 05:24:58 PM »

One (poetry book) title to keep in mind while working on Green Finch and Linnet Bird is "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."  It's a tricky song, but if you bring out the longing-to-be-free YOU feel, in every line, it can be quite effective.  Betsy Joslyn's rendition is one to avoid, though; too off the pitch.

Used to be, TV networks tried to entertain viewers by getting the best people they could to create fictional programming.  (Many of those dearest to me did just that.)  You'd find fine writing, and fine acting on the little box.  In the past few years, the networks have, largely, abandoned their original mandate and divert the public by showing so-called "real" people (who aren't paid nearly as much as actors) in "reality" situations.  The "reality" is every bit as fictional as "scripted" television, but now the "scripters" aren't paid nearly as much as writers.

Reality television, which is anything but real, upsets me on some deep level for these reasons.  Maybe it's fun to watch for some, but it just turns my stomach, thinking of all the truly talented people who can't find work in television any more.   :P
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2003, 05:27:57 PM »

I agree with the posters who want to have DVD reviews on the regular site. I don't want to see fragmentation on this site.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2003, 05:32:33 PM »

Mark: Touché! ;)

Arnold: It looks like a lot of fun...haven't started on it yet, but it's right in my range, so I should have fun with it! And just where is your son? I'm sure Maya and Emily are just devastated with his Errant and Truantness!

Noel: Thanks for the advice!

Just started Donald's radio show. The first song is great! Oooh, new voice. Must listen. Be back later.
...Walk in the sunshine...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2003, 05:42:39 PM »

I think those who suggested not posting pics here (don't remember who said it, sorry) were just trying to come up with a solution, so people don't suffer.  And being one of the sufferers, I do really appreciate people being considerate like that.
Are you saying, then, that you'd rather der Brucer and I not post pics of our trip eastward?  

No pictures of what we're seeing?  No pictures of what we're doing?  No pictures of the dogs seeing and doing them with us?  No pictures at all?  

I mean, I'd really feel bad if everyone else could have enjoyed them but didn't get to see them at all, because you would have had to suffer because of your own slow computer...

NOT!!!

Personally, having a separate thread to store DVD reviews, which could be dupilcates of what has been written here in the main thread (managed with a simple cut and paste), makes sense.  That way, anyone who wanted to look up past reviews could do so quite easily.  That's similar to the requests I've received for a place where my stories could be gathered (which I'd rather gather at a site of my own, with links here to HHW).  But to force anyone who wants to see pictures to leave the main thread simply because some computers are slower than others seems disruptive to the daily thread's flow, and contradicts the general concensus I've been reading here today.

(And with this, I believe I've hit 25 posts!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2003, 05:54:18 PM »

Holy cow!  By George, I think I finely figured out how to post a picture!  I'm slow but I have to think these things out. I knew it had something to do with reducing the size but couldn't figure out exactly how to do that.  I've got it now.   Next project, how to do one of those dancing smiley face things.  

Hello all!   Hope you had a good day.  I got the flu shot at work today.  Maybe that's what gave my brain the boost to finely crack the picture problem.  LOL!  All I can say is that my arm sure is sore.  

This is an old photo of me but I hope to have a brand new one for you on Friday.  Not to brag but I (and everyone in my department) will be sporting a  T-shirt with a design that I submitted (and won) for the American Heart Walk.    A  true limited edition Danise original.

Some day I may be able to show you a book cover that I did for a guy I know who writes poetry.  It's in the works but he's not quite finished with the book or some such.  I did my part.   I don't know how long it will take for him to do his.   It's already been almost a year.  

One thing I have to say about living where there are hurricanes--at least (for the most part) we have plenty of warning that they are coming and how bad they are going to be.  I can pack Mom and the dogs up and head for hills before it hits.  

You have no clue that an earthquake is going to  hit or how bad.   Thank you, but no thank you.  I'm not that deep into impromptu  rock and roll!  :)

IMHO I like talking about DVD's without a special section.  If there's one for DVD's then you'll need one for music, then theater, then food, then....  I think you get my point.   I  like the free flow of the board here.  I hated always fighting over " But That's Off topic".  

A good conversation may grow away from the original subject matter but isn't that what MAKES a good conversation?    

Have a good evening all.

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2003, 06:10:15 PM »

I'm happy to have photos posted here, within the notes.  So it is written, so it shall be done.  I like it, they're fun and if it's slow for some folks hopefully the fun will outweigh the slowness.  Right now, I outweigh the slowness, hence I am on a diet.   Now, how many of you remember when the singing bird was singing all the livelong night and keeping me from sleeping?  Well, I got up one evening when it was happening and I snapped a pic of the singing bird at 1:00 in the morning.  Look carefully on the top of the garage wall and you'll see it.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2003, 06:16:15 PM »

All I have to say BK is "Tweet Tweet"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2003, 06:20:20 PM »

A bird!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2003, 06:46:02 PM »

I have drawn a blank about the Kingston Trio singing And The Green Grass Grew All Around. The only notable person I could find was Pete Seeger. Anyone else more successful than I was?
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2003, 06:59:59 PM »

Michael, I couldn't find any references either. I found citations that mentioned both the song and the Kingston Trio but none that mentioned that they sang the song. As you said, I found references to Pete Seeger singing it, but otherwise, as relates to Kingston Trio, it's a bust.

Ben

« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2003, 07:01:35 PM »

Poutine actually doesn't look bad. Of course I grew up in a Dairy State where at the State Fair they had the head of thd Dairy Princess carved in butter. Cheese Curds Rock!

Michael

« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2003, 07:12:18 PM »

I just heard that Fred Berry who played ReRun on What's Happening died last week at 52 of Natural Causes. Age 52 of Natural Causes oh my. Can someone that young die of natural causes?
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2003, 07:17:31 PM »

MDS: It's called a heart attack.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2003, 07:31:03 PM »

I had said:

DR  S. Woody White wrote:
Are you saying, then, that you'd rather der Brucer and I not post pics of our trip eastward?  

No pictures of what we're seeing?  No pictures of what we're doing?  No pictures of the dogs seeing and doing them with us?  No pictures at all?  

I mean, I'd really feel bad if everyone else could have enjoyed them but didn't get to see them at all, because you would have had to suffer because of your own slow computer...

NOT!!!

Okay let me just start by saying you completely misrepresented what I said.  I never said that I didn't want pictures posted here. What I said was that I really appreciated those people who were trying to find a way to accommodate everybody.  I thought that was very thoughtful of them.  

I'm not sure if I should write this or not. But I found your post very condescending.  I really appreciate all the help Der Brucer gave me (and others) yesterday (re: posting pictures).  And sure I would like to see some pictures of your trip.  But your post made it sound like you have a complete disregard for everyone here with a slower computer.  

My original suggestion re: pictures was just to try to limit them a bit.  Because some pages had so many pictures, and it took VERY long to load.

I do agree with  DR Jed.  I think that probably once the novelty wears off, there will be less pictures posted here.

I hope this doesn't come across as confrontational.  But your post really upset me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2003, 07:31:42 PM »

I am already "viewed" out.  I took Kritzer Time over to Kinko's so I could give my final editor the latest version - I have never taken anything there and left it overnight where it hasn't been ready by eight the next morning.  The very uncooperative man told me that the earliest he could have it was by noon.  I told him that wasn't acceptable.  I finally got him down to ten-thirty, but that doesn't work either.  I'm going to call a supervisor shortly, because if I can't get it in the morning, that means I have to go back there before lunch and that is a big pain in the butt cheeks.  I really abhor Kinko's and would not go there but for the fact that they are the only place near me that can velobind something with this many pages.  Merde, do you hear me?

Jennifer

« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2003, 07:35:16 PM »

DR Ben wrote:
Poutine actually doesn't look bad.

That's because it's not bad :)

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2003, 07:36:39 PM »

OMG Bruce that angry smiley cracks me up.

Good night all!

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2003, 07:56:59 PM »

Thanks MDS. "And The Green Grass.... " may well have been remembered incorrectly by my "customer". All I had was "Greenback Dollar". The song requested may indeed have been "Green Grasses" which Jack located on a Trio Box Set. The help by friends at HHW is amazing and truly appreciated. Better than "google" IMHO. I was able to help the "customer" with the Sonny Curtis theme from the "Mary Tyler Moore" show and 16 other "hard to find on CD" songs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up