Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERFORMANCE UPTICK  (Read 4294 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE PERFORMANCE UPTICK
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2017, 01:23:33 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »

Well, all I have to do is get him from under that book case and into a carrier.

I'm afraid at this point that all I'm doing at this point is damaging him.

Have you spoken to anyone at the adoption place?  I would be curious what the foster home has to say.  He may have been very attached to his sister and should have been adopted as a pair.  It is one of the reasons we adopted Bogie & Bacall, along with the fact Craig wanted Bacall & I wanted Bogie.  Bryan was neutral & Keith was out of town.

His sister was not up for adoption, and if I'd had to adopt both, I would have passed on him.  Two cats is plenty.  The Animal Project thought Anabelle would be good for socializing him more.  He's essentially a feral baby found on a roof.  It's not easy to socialize with him under a book shelf and my limited social skills with him.  I was hoping I could lure him out with food since we had done so well in the bathroom this morning.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »

Boy, this controversy about the show "1984" refusing to accommodate all the Tony nominators, and thus all the stars and creative staff on the elements of the show being ineligble, sounds like a case where the wrong people are being punished.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/theater/1984-ineligible-tony-awards-nominator-denied-access.html

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2017, 02:47:18 PM »

Nice photo DR JANE.

That is one strange article DR FJL.....I don't think it tells the entire story.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »

This saddens me.  As much as I hate to admit defeat, I am going to surrender Thatch to The Animal Project.  I just went to the bathroom to check on him and he escaped.  He's now back under the bookcase where he hid for a day, Annabelle's tracking him, and the hissing and screaming have begun.  This poor baby is never going to socialize, I cannot keep Annabelle away from him, and I sadly have no time to devote every minute to this mess.  Unless something really positive happens, he's leaving, and it breaks my heart to write this.

That's too bad, Larry. :( But it's better that you recognize it now.  Good luck to Thatch, and to you and Annabelle.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »

And now, I'm off.  The Olympia chapter of PFLAG is showing the documentary, "The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson."  My friend Margo and I will go to dinner first, then go see the movie.  It'll be free, but my sister (who is on the PFLAG board) said that they might take donations for another disadvantaged filmmaker, who is also making a documentary about Marsha.

Until later.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »

I thought I could coax him out with dinner, and it worked, only he ran back under the shelf.  He was licking the food off my fingers when I put them under the shelf but he wouldn't come out while I was there.  What I want to do is catch him and put him back in the carrier that brought him here.  I will need it to carry him off, if this does come to pass.

S friend suggested that I put him in his carrier, Annabelle in hers, and leave them in a room together to get used to each others scents and presence.  It can't hurt at this point to see what might happen.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2017, 05:24:34 PM »

Good evening!

KevinH

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »

Page 3?

KevinH

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »

I thought I could coax him out with dinner, and it worked, only he ran back under the shelf.  He was licking the food off my fingers when I put them under the shelf but he wouldn't come out while I was there.  What I want to do is catch him and put him back in the carrier that brought him here.  I will need it to carry him off, if this does come to pass.

S friend suggested that I put him in his carrier, Annabelle in hers, and leave them in a room together to get used to each others scents and presence.  It can't hurt at this point to see what might happen.

Hope this helps, DR elmore.

KevinH

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »

Today I met one of my Southern California friends, Roxie.  She and her children and stepmother are visiting her family members who live in Fredericksburg, VA.   There were a total of 10 of us.  We walked by the monuments and stopped at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  We saw part of the program going on to commemorate Veterans Day.  Maya Lin, who designed the Memorial, was to speak, but the young folk contingent wanted to get going,  so we didn't stay.

KevinH

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »

It was a beautiful day in DC, but very cold. Quite a contrast from the weather of only a few days ago!

KevinH

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »

The original 1940 version of Gaslight is playing on the local PBS station.  So far I prefer the cast of the 1944 version.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2017, 05:53:49 PM »

DR John did you cancel the script cuz it isn't working or because you don't want to keep taking codeine?   I would like to think you simply don't need it anymore and are out of pain.

I don't need it. Thankfully.

:) :) :)

Jane

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »

Well, all I have to do is get him from under that book case and into a carrier.

I'm afraid at this point that all I'm doing at this point is damaging him.

Have you spoken to anyone at the adoption place?  I would be curious what the foster home has to say.  He may have been very attached to his sister and should have been adopted as a pair.  It is one of the reasons we adopted Bogie & Bacall, along with the fact Craig wanted Bacall & I wanted Bogie.  Bryan was neutral & Keith was out of town.

Two cats is plenty.  The Animal Project thought Anabelle would be good for socializing him more.  He's essentially a feral baby found on a roof.

This explains a lot of the issues.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »

When I was 19 and ignorant, I thought experiencing a littler of kittens would be wonderful.  It was, except I would never do it today.

Fortunately my cat only had 3 kittens.  One found a home, and I only heard good things from the owner.  Keith and a neighbor girl both wanted the male cat.  Since the parent's told the girl she couldn't have him, we kept him.  I wanted to keep the black female.  A neighbor asked for her, and since I was very poor I said yes.

Two days later the neighbor called and said my little girl would not adjust and I needed to take her back.  I was surprised as she had been very outgoing and affectionate.  Home she came to stay and I then had 3 cats and no money ;D

My point DR elmore, Thatch not adjusting is not your fault.

Laura

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

Elmore, I believe that Thatch is not feral. He is afraid of Annabelle. If he were feral, he'd be growling and spitting at you, and he'd probably bite you.

Amy

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »

Elmore, a friend of mine had to introduce two new kittens to her two dogs whom she knew would chase the kittens. There are a number of good web sites with instructions. The first step is to feed them in rooms where they can't get to each other, but can smell each other. So, the cats ate in one room and dogs ate in the hallway, right outside the cats' room. After a couple weeks of that, she put the kittens in crates and put them in her bedroom with the dogs for short periods of time. After a couple weeks of that, she put the dogs in crates and put them in the cats' room for short visits. Everything was done very gradually and over a period of about 6 weeks. In the end, it worked! No cat-chasing. I understand if you say you don't have time for all that, but I would think introducing one cat to another cat could be done at a quicker pace than two dogs and two cats where the stakes are higher. I would at least do a bit of research on it (if you haven't already), and give it one more shot before throwing in the towel.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2017, 06:05:51 PM »

It couldn't hurt.  I would suggest letting him out first since Annabelle intimates him. 

Jane

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »

Elmore, I believe that Thatch is not feral. He is afraid of Annabelle. If he were feral, he'd be growling and spitting at you, and he'd probably bite you.

I was about to ask your opinion of this.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »

DR Amy the problem is that DR elmore only has one room and the bathroom.  Before he adopted Thatch they checked out his living premises.  I don't believe the foster family expected Thatch to be so intimated by exuberant Annabelle.

Amy

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2017, 06:11:32 PM »

TOD:
Well, I don't use a cell phone or a tablet, so I guess I would have to say the good old-fashioned computer.
I do have a very fancy Breville electronic toaster that I like very much. It has super long slots for very large pieces of sourdough bread, and buttons for "take a peek" and "a bit longer". It was originally $155 on sale for $75 and then we got another $20 off for opening a Macy's credit card. How could we not get it?

Amy

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »

Jane, I think the gradual introductions can be done with the two rooms. What I understood from the story is that as soon as Elmore opens the bathroom door, one of them races in or races out. So, if he took the one who's already out, and but him/her in a crate first, then they couldn't come in contact and couldn't get into a fight. I think if he kept them separated, but still able to smell and see each other for a couple weeks, they might learn to accept each other.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2017, 06:29:46 PM »

Boy, this controversy about the show "1984" refusing to accommodate all the Tony nominators, and thus all the stars and creative staff on the elements of the show being ineligble, sounds like a case where the wrong people are being punished.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/theater/1984-ineligible-tony-awards-nominator-denied-access.html

Wow that is crazy.

John G.

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »

yes, I quite agree. Ugly stuff.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »

It turned out to a largely rainy day and it's raining still.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »

Went to the movies tonight to see one of the Indian films that regularly plays at the dollar theater. Except those films are $1, they're $12 apiece.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »

Anyway, I bought a ticket to something called Arram, bought some samosas from the snack bar and went in for the fun.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2017, 08:04:44 PM »

About half the theater was filled. I think I was the only non-Indian person in the lot.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »

The film was about a woman in the Indian government who put the people she served ahead of politics. A 4-year-old girl falls down a well, and the woman has to do all she can to save the child. It got very claustrophobic, so I was squirming on top of being on the edge of my seat.

SPOILER ALERT

When the young girl is finally saved in very heroic fashion, the audience burst into applause.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up