Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG MOVE PART ONE  (Read 4635 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE BIG MOVE PART ONE
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »

Shortly after that they found the truck and, while Keith was out of town, delivered our belongings.  The movers were not happy about all of our boxes of books which might be why they basically dumped the furniture, including the beds without putting them back together.  One couch was left on its side.

A woman at the local office was very nice and did what she could.  Without waiting for authorization she sent someone to put the beds together and repair Bryan's broken rocking horse, minor stuff and they fired her for it.

Jane

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »

Thank goodness for Sesame Street on the little borrowed tv and the books Keith brought home for me. At the time he worked for Prentice Hall which had a wonderful selection of children's books and novels. 

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  The birthday boy (Richard) and I are going to see Murder on the Orient Express this afternoon and then to one of his burger joints for an early dinner.  We had a nice birthday breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, and pineapple/cherry cobbler.

Happy birthday, Richard! 

Now, where can I get me some of that cobbler?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 11:22:24 AM »

Shortly after that they found the truck and, while Keith was out of town, delivered our belongings.  The movers were not happy about all of our boxes of books which might be why they basically dumped the furniture, including the beds without putting them back together.  One couch was left on its side.

A woman at the local office was very nice and did what she could.  Without waiting for authorization she sent someone to put the beds together and repair Bryan's broken rocking horse, minor stuff and they fired her for it.

Oh my god, that's awful! 

These days, someone might have rightly made a social media case out of all this, of course!

John G.

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »

I hate moving. Stresses me out to even contemplate such a thing.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »

Oh my god, that's awful! 

These days, someone might have rightly made a social media case out of all this, of course!

Yup. Hate movers for this very reason.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

Oh, my goodness, Jane!  I can't imagine going through that kind of moving situation! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »

I can't believe you survived it all! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »

So, it seems we are to get a little, um, "weather" that wasn't in any damned forecast I looked at yesterday.  I'm hoping we'll be spared the ... you-know-what part of the proceedings.  I have a few errands to run, and mainly, I'm many days behind on leaf clearing and other such things.  I can condense the errand activity into something more manageable, but once it starts raining a little bit, the outdoors work is out.

That was the main reason that I wanted a condo:  no yard work...well, not very much.  I don't have to worry about cleaning leaves or moss off the roof.  I don't have to keep any hedges trimmed or stuff like that.  My little back yard is more than enough for me.  It's great when people want to do all of that, but I'm not that kind of person. ::)

;D

George

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts are playing the Christmas party this year.

Cool!  I love her version of "Love Is All Around" (the theme from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show")!

George

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »

Guess what stupid ass left one shelf open?  While I was in the bath, Thatch escaped and is under another set of bookshelves.  I'm letting Annabelle deal with it.

AARRGGHH!!

George

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  The birthday boy (Richard) and I are going to see Murder on the Orient Express this afternoon and then to one of his burger joints for an early dinner.  We had a nice birthday breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, and pineapple/cherry cobbler.

A Very Happy Birthday to Richard, the Birthday Boy!! :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »

I am horrified by DR JANE's story.....it will give me nightmares.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »

Oh my god, that's awful! 

I know.  I always hoped she found a job in a better place.

Former DR Penny recently went through something like this.  She finally received her belongings but there was a lot of damage.  Social media probably helped her some, mostly she kept reading about others in the same situation from the moving company.  Needless to say United Moving received a very poor review from her.  We never had the satisfaction of doing the same with Mayflower.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »

Oh, my goodness, Jane!  I can't imagine going through that kind of moving situation! :o

Funny though, just before we were moving my mother told us Mayflower was terrible and to use someone else.  Of course we didn't listen because there wasn't time by then.

We never told her what we were going through, didn't dare ;D

Jane

« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »

I can't believe you survived it all! ;)

;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2017, 11:51:44 AM »

There was one big blowup before Annabelle retired to her Amazon box where she currently naps.  I am pretty confident I can lure Thatch out tonight with some food, but if I can't, I won't try to force him out.  I'm perfectly happy to let him explore the apartment over the next several days until he decides being with us is more fun.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »

So, it seems we are to get a little, um, "weather" that wasn't in any damned forecast I looked at yesterday.  I'm hoping we'll be spared the ... you-know-what part of the proceedings.  I have a few errands to run, and mainly, I'm many days behind on leaf clearing and other such things.  I can condense the errand activity into something more manageable, but once it starts raining a little bit, the outdoors work is out.

That was the main reason that I wanted a condo:  no yard work...well, not very much.  I don't have to worry about cleaning leaves or moss off the roof.  I don't have to keep any hedges trimmed or stuff like that.  My little back yard is more than enough for me.  It's great when people want to do all of that, but I'm not that kind of person. ::)

;D

A private little yard would be nice.  We miss that.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »

I am horrified by DR JANE's story.....it will give me nightmares.

Every long distance move takes us back to the first one.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »

The movers in our first Michigan stay did not show on delivery day.  Thanks goodness they arrived the next day.  They said their truck broke down but someone let it slip they were just out drinking and couldn't drive the next day.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2017, 11:55:28 AM »

Easiest move was probably Connecticut back to Michigan.

I take that back.  Better than that one was the move from New Jersey to Massachusetts.

John G.

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts are playing the Christmas party this year.

Cool!  I love her version of "Love Is All Around" (the theme from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show")!

I love it!
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »

The movers in our first Michigan stay did not show on delivery day.  Thanks goodness they arrived the next day.  They said their truck broke down but someone let it slip they were just out drinking and couldn't drive the next day.

Well, it's a good thing that they at least didn't try to drive while drinking. :-\

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »

I really thought Joan Jett had joined the choir invisible.....I don't know who I am thinking of.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »

I think Jane wins the prize for Worst Move and also for Worst Move in a Series.

And I thought some of mine were bad.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »

I've been watching (reading) BK's move with interest. With a local move I think it's best to do it in pieces, if you can. I have a low opinion of professional movers and think that hiring people you know to do it makes sense. Having access to both houses for a few days overlap is SUCH a help!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2017, 03:21:45 PM »

My biggest move--San Diego, CA to Arlington, VA--was also one of my easiest. My employer paid for it, and the wife of one of my co-workers was one of the coordinators for the moving company. They did a very good job. They repeatedly told me they'd arrive on time, of course, and then didn't, but I rather expected that. I'd only reserved a few days at a hotel and had already started my new job. My apartment was ready, though empty. I purchased pillows and a comforter, towels and such, and "roughed" it. It wasn't a problem.

That moving company was United, but I believe that under the United banner are many smaller companies, locally owned.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »

I really thought Joan Jett had joined the choir invisible.....I don't know who I am thinking of.....

I can never recall who's still with us and who isn't. I guess I don't have the obituary gene.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2017, 03:24:29 PM »

Happy Birthday to DH Richard!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up