Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITTLE PEOPLE IN MY HEAD  (Read 80229 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE LITTLE PEOPLE IN MY HEAD
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2005, 01:41:35 PM »

How many times did you honk your horn?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2005, 01:42:41 PM »

Page Six Dance!   ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2005, 01:45:12 PM »

So DR Arnold Brockman saw Jason Graae lsat night. I thought he was avoiding me at the Monday night performance!

If Coup de Graae is to be performed it needs an audience preferably live.
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »

Nope, last night was only the second non-elimination leg there has been so far.  It will be interesting to see how much money the other teams cough up this time for Aaron and Hayden since they are heavy competition and the race is getting tighter.

Well i guess I am going crazy. Cause i totally thought this was the 3rd non-elim.

I think perhaps the others will give them money.  But normally teams just beg for money.  It was just that last time they were in africa, and the grandparents could not bring themselves to take from the less fortunate.

Last week, DR Jenifer pointed out that Jonathan has always passed up on any of the physical challanges.  I hadn't paid attention to that fact but last night really brought it to the fore when he decided to pass up on the wall climb.  This weakness is what will eventually trip him up and elimiate his ass at some point when he is forced to perform a roadblock.  Can't wait for that!

It's funny but when you said the first part, i thought you were going to mention the fact that he did an easy task (stomping on grapes) instead of letting his wife do that.  It made no sense!

I wonder why he didn't do the physical rock climbing.  Anyhow, he passed 2 other teams by doing the rafting.  So it didn't hurt him.

But i'm sure he could have done the mountain climbing. I mean all the women did it.  It was weird though how he mentioned he couldn't do it.  WHat was that about?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2005, 01:49:40 PM »

Well, gee, BK, if you got as far as Cahuenga, you should have continued on down a few more blocks to Bronson and come up into the hills and seen me.  I'm still hanging about the house in my lounging pj's.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2005, 01:56:36 PM »

Who knew you were just hanging about like a gazelle in the Hollywood Hills?

I must eat some eggs now.

Ginny

« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2005, 01:57:03 PM »

Embarrassing onstage (well, for a while anyway) moment:

In the DrElmore-directed community theatre production of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown I was playing Lucy in dress rehearsal.  I suppose we had a small audience.  At the end of the opening number, Lucy says, "If only you weren't so wishy-washy!" and crosses from downstage right to downstage left to exit.  Well, I stepped offstage and fell into the first row of seats.  All I could hear was Elmore saying, "Oh my God, Oh my God!"  And all I could think was that I had to get up into the light so he could see I wasn't dead.  They taped my ankle and we started over.  That ankle still swells.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2005, 01:59:39 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Fairfax, VA!  -What a difference 100 miles of I-95 can make meteorologically speaking.  When I left Richmond, it was just breaking 70 degrees, and there was a nice breeze.  As I headed northward, the temp started to drop, but it was a beautiful day for a drive - great winter sunlight.  By the time I reached Fairfax, it was/is in the lower 50s and there is some light fog in the air, near the ground.  Very strange.  I almost thought I had time-warped or something - it just didn't look like 3:30 in the afternoon... More like 6:00 in the morning... The foggy, foggy dew...  In any case...

It was a gorgeous day for a drive, and even though there were lots of cars on the road, most everyone seemed to be behaving and driving the speed limit too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2005, 02:04:45 PM »

Most embarrassing stage moment?

Well, I remember going out for my entrance as Judge Thatcher in BIG RIVER, looked down, and I was still wearing my bedroom shoes/moccasins rather than changing into my lace-up stage shoes. Had to go through the entire opening number in those until I could dash back to the dressing room and jump into the right shoes.

I'm not sure anyone but me noticed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2005, 02:07:10 PM »

Something strange department:  tried to log on here a minute ago, and got a weird Windows prompt telling me the page could not be read offline.  Well, hmmm...I was online.  So I pressed the "connect" button, and it gave me the last version I had read, which was up through about page 4.  So I pressed refresh, and no new posts appeared, which I found odd.  So I went to several other sites, which all loaded correctly, and when I returned here, there were the subsequent pages.  Isn't that peculiar?  It's never happened before.

Embarrassing stage moments:  I believe I have previously relayed to my two (count 'em) embarrassing incidents when I was playing Bill Sykes in Oliver!  In #1, my dog wouldn't depart the stage with me, and the entire audience heard an unfortunate expletive I uttered under my breath.  #2 was the closing night of the show (thankfully) when my retractable knife malfunctioned when I stabbed Nancy and I actually ended up really stabbing her in her lip, which erupted (literally) with a huge spray of blood.  The audience "oohed" and "aahed" and burst into applause at the sight of this stupendous special effect.

For those of you who need sunshine department:  Get some CDs of the Brasilian singer/songwriter Joyce.  I have been listening to her all day (she's one of my all-time faves).  Her voice is aural sunshine, and her music is gorgeous.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2005, 02:08:54 PM »

While listening to the radio on the way up, I heard some major radio-related news.  Well, at least local radio market major.  WHFS, a once major radio station in DC changed formats at Noon today.  With no warning, advance word, etc.  It went from Alternative Rock to a Hispanic format.  At 12:01PM!

I started flipping around the dial, and sure enough a bunch of the afternoon drive shows were talking about the sudden changeover.  When WHFS started back in the late-80s, it was a true Indie-Rock station.  They played R.E.M. and Green Day before they were R.E.M. and Green Day.  The signal was notoriously weak, but that just added to it's appeal.  They eventually became more of a major market player, and got a bigger tower.  Unfortunately, as with all media outlets, it kept changing it's format every few months.  However, the radio station sponsored an annual "HFS-tival" - a day long concert featuring lots of rock groups.  They even had one last year.  I wonder if that will continue with the new format?  ;)

In any case, that's the news...

*When I started college in Richmond, one of the dorms was considered "special" since they could actually pick up the signal for WHFS during the late night hours.  Of course, that's only if the wind was blowing in the right direction.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2005, 02:10:59 PM »

Someone else's embarrassing moment:  I may have told this story a long time ago, too, but it's hilarious.  I was playing the Grand Inquisitor in The Lark.  As some/most of you probably know, the GI just sits there for an hour and a half, and then completely dominates the last half-hour or so of the play with one gigantic monologue after another.  His last monologue cues the henchman to enter to drag Joan off for her appointment with the barbecue.  :)  Well, anyway, one night I got through my huge speech and......no henchman.  So I repeat my cue.  Still no one.  So I punt and said some sort of line that cued the people holding Joan to just take her offstage.  Ready for the punchline?  The henchman had been backstage, using an eyebrow pencil to draw hair on his chest for his big entrance and hadn't heard his cue.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2005, 02:14:04 PM »

RE: Shauna Hicks - Love her!  I played for a mini-concert that she gave a couple of years ago at American University - her alma mater.  I haven't really talked with her in years, but I still get the occasional card telling me what she's up to.  Her show, "Shauna Hicks and Her 60's Chicks" is lots of fun.  Although, I don't think she's done it lately, but I think there was a sequel of sorts.  And as DR elmore noted, she and Jeff Harnar have been doing a Mickey & Judy show the past couple of years.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2005, 02:18:04 PM »

RE: A CHORUS LINE - From what I've heard, the only "major" changes they may make for the upcoming production will be in the orchestrations, and most of that will consists of streamlining the conductor/keyboard and piano/Rhodes/celeste books so that the conductor does not have to play and conduct at the same time.  Personally, I'm hoping they go to two keyboard players in the pit. ;)

...Otherwise, the piece will remain set in 1975.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2005, 02:20:43 PM »

Question for bk - How complete is your recording of "Godspell" and how close is it to the original recording of the score.  I realize the "sound" was a bit updated, but is the material the same?  (I realize Beautiful City was added)

The reason why I ask is that in the class I teach, we're doing student directed mini-musicals and  we have the original score, but I'd like to give the student the most complete recording that is available as a resource and I don't want to get stuck transcribing music!!  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2005, 02:21:05 PM »

BK - So, which model iPod did you get?  A regular?  mini?  How many Gigs?  What color?  Did you get any accessories?  The microphone?  The cool looking earphones?  ;)

*And remember, you can also use your iPod as a temporary storage device should you need to backup anything on your PowerBook.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2005, 02:23:18 PM »

I have been listening and laughing along with Alfred Drake and Cole Porter on the original cast recording of KISS ME KATE. I haven't listened to this in a long, long time deferring to the revival cast with Stokes Mitchell, but the original Fred/Petruchio is really hilarious.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2005, 02:26:54 PM »

Question for bk - How complete is your recording of "Godspell" and how close is it to the original recording of the score.  I realize the "sound" was a bit updated, but is the material the same?  (I realize Beautiful City was added)

The reason why I ask is that in the class I teach, we're doing student directed mini-musicals and  we have the original score, but I'd like to give the student the most complete recording that is available as a resource and I don't want to get stuck transcribing music!!  

DR Matthew - I think I can help you out here...  BK's Godspell is complete.  *I'm always amazed that there is no underscoring in Godspell.

If you want a more traditional version of Godspell, get the one that was released on Jay Records out of London.  It was a studio album with Mr. Schwartz himself at the piano.  I've seen it released in a standard "import" format - meaning a bit higher priced than normal - but I've also seen it released with a generic cover but at a budget-price.

Here's the cover courtesy of Amazon.com:

And here's the link to the Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005BGX/qid=1105568807/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-0688996-4225466?v=glance&s=music
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:27:49 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2005, 02:28:36 PM »

I got the 20gig version, which only comes in white.  I thought about the mini, but I could see no upside or downside to either, and the mini isn't that much smaller.  For now I just have the headphones that came - I may go back and get the dock and the wireless car kit.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »

OH!  And John Barrowman is one of the soloists too!  -If that means anything to you.. ;)

I like the album, but I will admit that some of the English accents still catch me off guard.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2005, 02:30:34 PM »

...OH.. DR Matthew, I guess I should have added...  "When I did the show a few years ago..."
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2005, 02:34:07 PM »

iPod users: This thing comes with a software CD, but I remember being told that because I already have iTunes in the machine I really shouldn't have to use it - is this true?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2005, 02:34:48 PM »

RE: Hooter's - I've been a few times.  I do like the wings.  As for the "scenery"... hmmm...  I usually go when I'm on the road and want something "dependable".  And most cities have at least one - plus an Applebee's and a Chili's.  Decisions, decisions.

:-\
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:50:22 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2005, 02:36:37 PM »

iPod users: This thing comes with a software CD, but I remember being told that because I already have iTunes in the machine I really shouldn't have to use it - is this true?

True.  -Unless there's been some sort of software update.  You could always put the disc in the drive and see what happens.  If the software is already on your computer, then the screen prompts should tell you so.

-Or you could just call Mr. Mac Man.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2005, 02:38:12 PM »

DR Jose... of course the name John Barrowman would make a difference in ALL departments  ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2005, 02:46:40 PM »

I've just taken a pan of southwest cornbread out of the oven (same cornbread recipe I posted here a week or so back, but I added diced onion, chiles, pimientos and jalapeno peppers).  I also took a quart of Brunswick stew out of the freezer and it's simmering in a pot.  

When you feel like crap, it's mandatory you pamper yourself!

Hmm... The cornbread sounds good!

As for the Brunswick Stew... Lima beans or no lima beans?  Chicken or other meat?  Tomatoes?

I only ask since I have witnessed the great "Brunswick Stew Wars" from time to time here in Richmond.  It's usually between Brunswick, VA and Brunswick, GA - although NC and SC also join the fray every now and then.  There's a local canned brand in Richmond, Mrs. Fearnow's.  Not bad when fresh is not available.  I used to send cans of it to a friend who was working in the middle of nowhere. That and bags of Utz's Old Bay Potato Chips.  A little slice of home.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2005, 02:49:38 PM »

DR Jose... of course the name John Barrowman would make a difference in ALL departments  ;)

OH! And that recording also has some of the lyric changes and updates that Mr. Schwartz has written over the years.  Most of them are small, but one of the Philosophers in the Tower of Babel opening is changed - a new philosopher and, conseqently, new text.  The latest set of MTI parts are supposed to have incorporated them, but some sets have the new lyrics, some don't.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2005, 02:53:14 PM »

I'm back from the morning portion of the Crazy For You tour load-in.  We left at about 1:00 p.m. and I had lunch at KFC.  I came home, caught up on all the posts (a few comments to follow) and will (hopefully) take a bit of a nap before heading back to the theatre for the 6:00 p.m. call.  I had to polish shoes this morning and spray vodka on the girls' costumes.  I've never polished shoes before in my life...ever!  I've always had tennis shoes or dress shoes that I just never polished.  And I've never worked for a tour that required their men's shoes to be polished.  I hope they didn't expect a perfect shine, but I figure that I'm not the only one to EVER polish the shoes, so that somewhere down the line (next town, maybe) someone who knows how to polish the shoes will do a really good job...one hopes. ::)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:54:16 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2005, 02:54:29 PM »

OH!  And John Barrowman is one of the soloists too!  -If that means anything to you.. ;)

I have this CD.  Ruthie Henshall is also on it, and so is Jacqueline Dankworth (Cleo Laine and John Dankworth's daughter).  This was actually the very first recording of Godspell that I owned.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:54:58 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2005, 02:55:43 PM »

Caught up with the posts and now... Hello, I must be going!
Laters!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up