Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I, POD  (Read 81993 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:I, POD
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2005, 08:30:48 AM »

The book I'm working on is stuffed to the gills with anagrams.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2005, 08:31:05 AM »

I am my own mini-frenzy.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2005, 08:35:25 AM »

I am an M. Night Shyamalan (sp?) fan, but I had different reactions to some of his films from the rest of you.

I liked, but wasn't blown away by, "The Sixth Sense."  Once the gimmick is known, there's little reward in seeing it again for me.

"Unbreakable," however, improves on each viewing.  I wasn't much into it the first time I watched it, but I've seen it two more times and it's wonderful.

"Signs" resonated with me from start to finish.  

The way the director established the terror the family falls prey to, and the wonderful sense of claustrophobia that pervades even some of the outdoors scenes, marks him as an extraordinary talent.

I have zero problems seeing the monster because it was evil in intent and it was totally essential for its presence so that Mel's character could put all the pieces together that saved his sanity.  "Swing away, Merle" was one of them.  His little girl's obsession with pure water was another.  And the son's asthma saved his life from the poisonous gas.

What I couldn't grasp is how a priest could have a family -- it was well-established that one of his former parishioners wanted to do a confessional with him.  What church, other than Catholic (in which priests are celibate), has priests who wear the clerical collar and hear confessions?  I'd be delighted to learn there is such a faith...but it has eluded me, thus far.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 08:38:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2005, 08:57:38 AM »

I, Pod, am up.  No blue sky as of yet, but I can see it trying to peek through.  I'm going to try to return these speakers before lunch and hopefully there won't be much traffic.

Most of my funny favorites, both new and old, have been mentioned.   While I love Chaplin and Keaton, this topic isn't really about comic actors, but comics - those who did live shows of their acts, like Benny, and those types.  Of the modern people there is no one I much care for except Ellen (by modern, I'm not including Crystal and Mal Z., since they are born of another era) - maybe I should say post-modern.  I just don't find many of these post-modern comics funny.

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2005, 09:01:53 AM »

DRvixmom - Thanks for the anniversary wishes!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2005, 09:18:38 AM »

I liked, but wasn't blown away by, "The Sixth Sense."  Once the gimmick is known, there's little reward in seeing it again for me.

I have watched it many times after knowing the gimmick and I enjoyed at as much, but now, from a slightly different perspective as I know something that the character himself does not.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 09:41:53 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2005, 09:20:38 AM »

Actually, Carey Lowell was my least favorite of the ADAs on L&O of the big three (Jill Hennessey, Carey Lowell, Angie Harmon). I really loved Hennessey and Harmon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2005, 09:22:44 AM »

And speaking of Lily Tomlin, she's the guest star on WILL & GRACE tonight playing the head of the firm that employs Will.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2005, 09:28:43 AM »

"Unbreakable," however, improves on each viewing.  I wasn't much into it the first time I watched it, but I've seen it two more times and it's wonderful.

I agree completely.  I received the DVD as a gift after seeing it in the theatre and wasn't enthused about seeingit again, but for politeness sake viewed it again with the giftgiver and found I liked it better the second time, and on subsequent viewings  I see more and more I like about it

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2005, 09:32:12 AM »

The way the director established the terror the family falls prey to, and the wonderful sense of claustrophobia that pervades even some of the outdoors scenes, marks him as an extraordinary talent.

I have zero problems seeing the monster because it was evil in intent and it was totally essential for its presence so that Mel's character could put all the pieces together that saved his sanity.  "Swing away, Merle" was one of them.  His little girl's obsession with pure water was another.  And the son's asthma saved his life from the poisonous gas.

The monster itself (to my eyes) was too tabloidy, too rubbery/fake looking. Now I would have had no problem with the characters in the movie seeing the aliens, just let us have reaction shots and keep the guy in the rubber suit off camera

I always thing the scariest thing is the thing you DON"T see

(IMHO)  :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 09:43:53 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2005, 09:41:05 AM »

What I couldn't grasp is how a priest could have a family -- it was well-established that one of his former parishioners wanted to do a confessional with him.  What church, other than Catholic (in which priests are celibate), has priests who wear the clerical collar and hear confessions?  I'd be delighted to learn there is such a faith...but it has eluded me, thus far.

I believe the Episcopalians refer to their ministers as priests and address them as Father, and as far as I know, all Protestant religions allow their ministers to marry & procreate.

Also, while I am not aware of  confession as requirement in any of the Protestant religions, there is always the option to make a private confession to your minister, besides in this particular case, (unless I misremember) the person wanting to make the confession was confessing his transgressions against Mel Gibson's character   :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 09:45:12 AM by vixmom »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2005, 09:47:03 AM »

Surprised not to see one comment re Alias last night.  I haven't seen it yet so NO SPOILERS.

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2005, 09:48:30 AM »

.  I haven't seen it yet so NO SPOILERS.

Is this because I'm a lesbian?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2005, 09:57:27 AM »

And speaking of Lily Tomlin, she's the guest star on WILL & GRACE tonight playing the head of the firm that employs Will.

Is she still on The West Wing?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2005, 09:58:10 AM »

I believe the Episcopalians refer to their ministers as priests and address them as Father, and as far as I know, all Protestant religions allow their ministers to marry & procreate.

Also, while I am not aware of  confession as requirement in any of the Protestant religions, there is always the option to make a private confession to your minister, besides in this particular case, (unless I misremember) the person wanting to make the confession was confessing his transgressions against Mel Gibson's character   :)

That is a possibility. I am an Episcopalian and have  never encountered a confessional (although that probably doesn't mean a thing).  I got the impression in that scene between the girl and Gibson that he was telling her he was no longer a priest and, thus, not able to hear confessions.  

As you said, though, it may have been intended as a means of her unloading her guilt prior to what she perceived as apocalypse.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 09:59:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2005, 10:08:09 AM »

I got the impression in that scene between the girl and Gibson that he was telling her he was no longer a priest and, thus, not able to hear confessions.  

SPOILER ALERT

My reading on that scene was that since he had lost his faith in God he couldn't offer the assurance of God's forgiveness and mercy to someone else.

I don't think he was defrocked, I think he had just walked away from his pulpit in despair, because at the end he is wearing his collar again.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 10:10:44 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2005, 10:09:13 AM »

Is she still on The West Wing?

I was wondering the same thing, I don't recall seeing her this season.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2005, 10:11:57 AM »

Two days late - Your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week from the 1962 Academy Players Directory.  Thanks to DR MB!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2005, 10:23:28 AM »

SPOILER ALERT (ALIAS)

I caught ALIAS last night. I loved the pace and quick changes, and the dialogue was fun, but can't accept Sloane's re-re-rehabilitation. And Jack's deception really seemed dumb (and out of character).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 10:41:27 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2005, 10:31:36 AM »

How cute are these?

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2005, 10:34:52 AM »

I saw Alias last night.  I also saw Lost last night.

LOST COMMENT (don't read if you haven't watched it yet).

I'm not sure how I felt about the brother/sister revelations last night.  All these weeks we had no reason to believe that they didn't have the same parents.  So watching them have sex, was just a bit shocking.

It was interesting to see the chase/death scene turn out to not be real.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2005, 10:37:05 AM »

I'm sure I've seen Lily Tomlin on West Wing this year.  Although her part is small and she isn't on that much.

Maybe no Alias comments, cause nothing too earth shattering happened.  Even TAR without an elimination didn't get too many comments.

We need earth shattering events to comment on I guess. :)

Btw, I don't like the new opening for the show.  The names go by too fast.  I can't read them.  And I like seeing pictures of the cast, as opposed to merely pics of Jennifer Garner.

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2005, 10:37:27 AM »

« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 10:38:23 AM by vixmom »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »

Getting back to the Topic o' the Day, Vintage era, esoteric sub-section:

Mr. Mike Nichols and Miss Elaine May

Mr. Stan Freberg
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2005, 10:46:41 AM »

Nichols and May, of course.

"Kaplan. That is K as in knife .... N as in newel post."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2005, 10:47:44 AM »

Comics and comedians of old:  Benny, Groucho, Skelton come to mind...

Today:  Eddie Izzard, Bill Maher, and Al "The Pub Landlord" Murray (The only comedian I've gone and seen onstage...he hasn't caught on over here and his humour may be too intrinsically British for some...but he's very, very funny)

Funny people and performers:  David Letterman, The two guys from South Park (The smartest satire on TV), Larry David, Rowan Atkinson (mostly Black Adder)...from the past:  What ever happened to George Gobel, who still had one of the best lines ever:  "You ever feel like the whole world's a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes."?

Funny writers:  again, the guys from South Park; Ben Elton; Richard Curtis; Oscar Wilde, Terry Pratchett

Some comic radio shows:  Just A Minute; Sorry, I Haven't A Clue; My Word

I enjoyed CANDIDE last night although, I've now seen the show three times...and none of them have ever been the same.  Is there a definitive version of this thing?  I think the one I enjoyed the most was one I saw at Theatre Three in Dallas back in the seventies.  I don't know which version they were on then.

I actually enjoyed the documentary on Bill Irwin that aired here after Candide even more.  Another very funny man.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2005, 10:51:02 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I guess I caught up on my sleep from the other night, my post-baking sleep - or lack thereof.

-Did that make sense at all?!?!?

This morning after getting up, I headed down to the kitchen to help my Dad get his car loaded up.  He had prepared lunch for his office at Health and Human Services (HHS), as a Thank You for all their well-wishes during his surgery and since his surgery.  My Mom was rolling lumpia last night, and there's enough extra filling leftover to roll a couple dozen more.  Well, for me to roll a few dozen more - I'll probably bring them into the show tonight.  If they make it out of the kitchen.  And if I actually ever get back down to the kitchen and start rolling them.  Rolling, rolling, rolling...

After my Dad got everything loaded up, he headed over to my Mom's work to pick up some more food.  -The lumpia were being fried up in my Mom's work kitchen.

My Dad also made some coleslaw here - to go along with some fried chicken and ribs.  Making coleslaw is not that difficult, but he was making enough for about 20 people, possibly more.  He likes the really chopped up kind, so he used the food processor to make it.  However, we only have a 3-cup food processor here at home.  A gallon and a half of coleslaw made in a 3-cup food processor.. you do the math.  ;)

So... After cleaning up bits of shredded cabbage and carrots off the counters and the floor and the rugs and the coffee maker(?!?!?), I finally had my own brunch, and now I'm here....

Exciting, huh?
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2005, 10:52:34 AM »

Is this because I'm a lesbian?

ROTFLMAO.

Betsy just asked me to email her a file she needs at work and after I did she of course emailed back "Did you send me that because I'm a lesbian?"

And, lest we forget:

UDAHO!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2005, 10:52:49 AM »

Oh, god, yes, Stan Freberg.  His history of America album to me is still the seminal comedy of all time.  "What was that?"  "French Horns."  No, no, before that."  "Hey, Harv, who you taking to the witch-burning tonight?"  "You kids get a pretty good sound out of those mocassins."  "Yeah, considering they were tap-dancing on dirt too!"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2005, 10:55:28 AM »

DR Jennifer:  I know the feeling regarding Boone and Shannon, but at least we had the revelation that they had different parents BEFORE we saw them in bed together.

Until then, I thought Boone was gay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up