Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CHIFFON GOWN WITH THE PLUNGING NECKLINE  (Read 42833 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE CHIFFON GOWN WITH THE PLUNGING NECKLINE
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2005, 05:43:40 PM »

Well, that last sentence was convoluted.  The Theatermania guide takes a show and goes through all its various and sundry recordings rating them.  OKLAHOMA!, for example, has the OBC, the OLC, the Nelson Eddy studio cast, the soundtrack, etc.  THE SOUND OF MUSIC makes no mention of the London original cast, although it does review the later Petula Clark recording.  HALF A SIXPENCE only reviews the OBC, neither the OLC nor the film soundtrack.

I'll stop now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2005, 05:46:53 PM »

Maybe it's Theatermania Lite!

Don't spend time searching for it, DtM, but if it falls into your lap, give it a look!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2005, 05:53:32 PM »

Maybe it's Theatermania Lite!

Don't spend time searching for it, DtM, but if it falls into your lap, give it a look!  

Hmmm...  That last sentence has all kinds of implications when taken out of context.

Almost time for TAR.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2005, 06:42:19 PM »

Okay, enough of this idle chit-chat and chiffon frivolity. I must take a brisk,  mind-clearing walk and then write my little buns off.
You're using them for tax purposes?

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2005, 06:52:52 PM »

Can someone (BK, didn't you mention this a while back?) tell me if the first season Night Gallery DVDs include the original two hour movie with Joan Crawford and Fritz Weaver?  It says "original pilot" but I'm not sure that's what it means.  TIA.  :)
Yes, the pilot is included.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2005, 06:56:27 PM »

DR Jane, I don't think I"ve ever tried an egg bagel.  What exactly is it?  And why do you prefer it to regular bagels?  Bagels are pretty popular here (and you can get them everywhere).  So I'd like to know what to look for.

I remember when Keith and I first started dating he told me to try the egg bagel instead of a plain one.  I don't believe I have eaten a plain one since.  I do loves eggs and egg bread.  A good egg bagel just has more flavor to me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2005, 06:56:45 PM »

Fans of The Amazing Race....do not miss tonight's episode!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2005, 07:00:22 PM »

As long-time readers of these here notes know, I am obsessed with The Swimmer, which I've been touting for over twenty years.  It's one of the strangest movies ever made, but one that, despite its problems, is what movie-making is all about....
In that case, you'll be absolutely thrilled thrilled thrilled to learn that it's being remade, scheduled for this year, starring Alec Baldwin.

:P

Jane

« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2005, 07:01:53 PM »

DR Jane, I can get you as many delicous egg bagels as you may wish, there is a lovely bagel bakery one block from my home.

When my best friend was in the in the Airforce and stationed in Nebraska she yearned for a good Jewisg Rye, so I would buy them, freeze them , wrapped them in Foil and then plastic backs and send them to her by express mail when they arrived they had defrosted during the trip and were as fresh as when I bought them from the bakery .

I would be happy to do the same for you.  They also sometimes have egg and bacon bagels, and I can also get rye, pumpernickel, etc...tell me your pleasure and I will see if I can accomadate you!!

Bacon bagels are not Kosher!!  ;D ;D  I'm also a vegetarian.  

Rye bagels too! :D

Currently I have rye bread in the freezer I had shipped from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Last night I had a piece with cream cheese and plum jam. :D

Jane

« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2005, 07:12:54 PM »

DR Jane:  By "sleep elevated", I'm not quite sure what you mean....I live on the top floor of a 4-story condo...is that high enough?  : )

;D ;D-sleeping propped up on pillows which keeps all that cold crap from settling where you don't want it.

I didn’t think anyone was going to mention IT HAPPENS EVERY SPRING with Ray Milland.-glad you did..

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2005, 07:21:23 PM »

And the TV film about the first Olympics was titled...

...wait for it...

The First Olympics: Athens 1896

I remember the film.  Somehow, what I remember most is a scene where the American Olympic team is making it's debut public appearance, and one of them has found a book where, in the original games of Ancient Greece, the atheletes competed in the nude.  Hilarity ensues.

:o

Jane

« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2005, 07:22:05 PM »

Hisaka you were missed.

It appears all of my favorite sports movies have been mentioned except for WIMBLEDON.  I'm not sure it is a favorite but we enjoyed it very much.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2005, 07:38:10 PM »

And didn't Guy Haines himself play tennis in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2005, 07:47:12 PM »

This hyperlinked  article regarding tomorrow's Inaugural Dinner has been brought to my attention.

For the first time, someone has managed to out-"product placement" Hollywood.

And here's the menu!

So, here I am, a fiscally conservative (but socially moderate) Republican, and I have to wonder...with all the money being spent on this Inauguration, they can't afford electricity?  Or is the candlelight dinner to hide the food?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 07:51:27 PM by S. Woody White »

MBarnum

« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2005, 07:58:51 PM »

While I was visiting my mom (and she gets the Fox Movie Channel), I saw "It Happenedin Athens"...and it was about the Olympics.  It starred Jayne Mansfield and Trax Colton.

I couldn't help but think of MBarnum when I saw that name pop up on the screen....sounds like someone right up his alley!

:You are right! And I love that movie!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2005, 07:59:55 PM »

Okey-doke!  Ummm....may I ask the meaning, then, of that comment that appears underneath your avatar?

"Will fence for Cherry Coke (underpants)"

I'm sure you've made it clear before...but I must have been "out of range" that day.

It briefly said, "Will work for Cherry Coke," but I'm not that desperate, so I changed it to something I would actually like to do.  :P

The "underpants" got added after an episode in my poetry class. I posted it at the end of last semester. Here it is:

(Flashback)

Today was my last final. WOO HOO!! It was nineteenth century British poetry. Woo hoo...

Before the test, we all gathered for the cram session that always seems to happen before every test. While we were cramming, I happened to notice that in my Tennyson book in the middle of "In Memorium," I had the word "underpants" written in the margin. It's in my handwriting, but I don't have the slightest idea why I wrote it.

So I showed it to the others and they all thought it was really funny, especially the pothead who sits in the corner, but he thinks everything is funny. Anyway, so while we were cramming, people would just say, "Underpants" at random times and we would all giggle.

So after the test started and we were all frantically trying to remember everything, I hid my face with my test and said, "Underpants" and everybody dissolved into giggles, except the one girl who had gotten there just as the test was starting and didn't know what we were all laughing at. She was very confused.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

MBarnum

« Reply #227 on: January 18, 2005, 08:02:46 PM »

DRJrand54, the magazine I won is PEOPLE TODAY 2/23/1955

MBarnum

« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2005, 08:04:57 PM »

Obscure bad film on DVD: WILD WOMEN OF WONGO($5.99!)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2005, 08:16:42 PM »

I'm certainly not going to defend the Method, but the point is that what worked for Dustin Hoffman as an actor should be the issue. Obviously, Lord Olivier had his own techniques, but it WAS catty and inappropriate to suggest to another actor the process he should use to arrive at his performance. We're all built differently, and all of you who have acted know this.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2005, 08:56:21 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL tonight produced no amazing performacnes. There were a few good singers (we weren't made privy to the voices of every contestant passed through to the Hollywood round) and one real hottie Italian guy from Hackensack, NJ, whose father was the mayor there. Maybe tomorrow in New Orleans will feature some more startling talent than we saw and heard tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: January 18, 2005, 08:58:51 PM »

Robert De Niro's weight gain was fully supervised by a doctor both during the gain and in the process aftreward as he lost it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: January 18, 2005, 09:12:59 PM »

I'm back from the birthday dinner, which was splendiferous.  I was, however, a bad, bad boy.  I had a Caesar Salad, meat loaf and mashed potatoes and some bread.  As if that wasn't bad enough, we all decided to go to House of Pies for pies.  I am now so gross it's not even funny.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2005, 09:25:18 PM »

The fact that De Niro's  extreme weight gain/ loss had to be supervised by a doctor shows the potential risk to health and physical well-being.

I won't debate whether Olivier's remark was catty or not, but refer you to Bill Goldman's book ADVENTURES IN THE SCREEN TRADE and his story about Hoffman making Olivier improvise, not only improvise but walk around to do so when the man was obviously ill.  I think Hoffman's a fine actor...but I think some of this stuff is just star ego bullshit.  While you're at it, read the story about Hoffman and the flashlight in Goldman's book.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 09:33:09 PM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2005, 09:29:46 PM »

Yes, we are waddling around full o'pie and meatloaf and taters.  He didn't mention the onion rings.  Oink!  But when you laugh while you eat, there are no calories.  So our meal must have comprised negative calories.

As if springing for dinner wasn't enough, BK came bearing splendid gifts...DVDs of THE SWIMMER & REQUIEM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT.
Thanks again, BK, for a swell birthday celebration.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2005, 10:26:34 PM »

Busy day. Writing in the morning. Long meeting in the afternoon. Then out to the taping of a "live" talk show in Hollywood. I was invited by someone who works on the show when he found out that Rachel was a fan. We got the star treatment. Ushered in ahead of the hundreds in line, hung out in the Green Room before and after the show, had great seats - and - biggest thing of all - were told we could go to the bathroom during the show - which the hoi polloi couldn't. One of the guests was Tony Shalhoub, with whom we had a great chat after the show (about lions mating, among other things - they do it 40 times in one day, or something like that). He's a very nice man. And he was particularly pleased when I mentioned how very much I liked BIG NIGHT. He considers it a highlight of his career.
Then, after walking by all the crazies in front of Grauman's, we drove home and stopped off for hot chocolate on the way.
A good day.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 10:55:04 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2005, 10:29:58 PM »

Pogue - I'm NEVER wrong, am I?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2005, 10:30:57 PM »

Just finished a marvelous motion picture, about which more later.  I shall now write the notes, then return.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2005, 10:52:15 PM »

Nope!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2005, 10:55:51 PM »

Good Evening!

Sorrry to have been errant and truant for most of the day, but I kind of wanted to have a day off where I wasn't attached to my laptop all day whilst watching TV.  That's just way too easy to do, so...  Instead...

Baking:  A German Chocolate Cake - yet one more special order, this time from Ms. Anne Duquesnay.  Her dresser gave her a slice of the one I made last week, and she loved it.  In fact, I was sort of summoned to her dressing room the other night.  I had no idea why she wanted to see me since she normally doesn't seen anyone before the show (as part of her pre-show routine).  Well...  She asked if I was the one who made the cake, and I told her I was.  She then proceeded to tell me how delicious it was, and that it was just sweet enough and not too sweet like German Chocolate Cakes tend to be.  She even said it made her cry!  And that she was tearing up just thinking about it!  High praise indeed!  Very sweet of her too.  And it made my evening!  She asked if I would make her a German Chocolate Cake, so I made her a German Chocolate Cake today.  -And she'll be paying me for it too!

*The funny thing is is that I tried a new recipe last week for the cake from this month's Cook's Illustrated.  I just trusted that it would come out well.  I've never tried it myself, so...  Let's hope it came out well again today.

-Green Tea Poundcake, and an Amazon Cake - basically a chocolate cake.  I came across the recipe in the New York Times a few years ago.  Very easy to mix up, and no eggs either.  Incredibly moist.  And it get it's name from the fact that it's a very dark cake, almost black as a result of using cocoa in the batter.  I made two "layers", and I'll probably stop by Safeway and pick up a can of Redi-Whip to go with it tomorrow.

And speaking of tomorrow...

I have a Noon matinee tomorrow/today, and, let's see... It's almost 2:00AM now, so...

I skimmed the posts, and I'll be sure to give them a closer read once I'm back up in Fairfax tomorrow.  I just wanted to make sure to check in before heading to bed.  *I'm hoping to be on the road by 8:30 - with the road closings and some possible snow tomorrow...  -Just goes to show my obsession addiction devotion to the internet HHW.

;)

Oh, I also drove around for a bit taking care of errands, and I ended up over at Steve's place where we watched "American Idol".  It was a nice "break" for me from all the baking.  And, as always, it was nice spending time with Steve.  *He found the limited edition Chex Mix at Target the other day - Cocoa!  And it even has mini-marshmallows in it!

-Oh, and I got stopped by a cop for running a yellow (I said), red (he said) light on the way over to Steve's.  Thankfully, he did not write me a ticket.  "You're my first one of the evening, and I always let my first one go."  "Thank you, officer."  -Again, I guess it pays to have a near spotless driving record.  In fact, I started thinking back to my last moving violation, and I think it's been a eight or nine years.  And that was for.. well, running a stop light.  So...

OK... 1:56AM...  I have to be out of bed in 5 hours and 4 minutes.  DO NOT HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON!!!  *Well, since I have to get out of bed to hit the snooze button...

... And I get to go to bed in an apartment smelling of chocolate and vanilla!

:)

OH!!

DR ozderek - Were you referring to "The Front Runner"?  -Patricia Nell Warren's book?

OK...

That's all for tonight.  I must get to bed and get some sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up