Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY  (Read 28681 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY
« on: February 03, 2005, 11:58:13 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've agonized over the notes, you've ecstasized over the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home to experience the agony and the ecstasy, not necessarily in that order.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:59:52 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 11:59:54 PM »

And the word of the day: POPPYCOCK.

A fine and noble word?  Poppycock.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 12:10:48 AM »

And I'm sure the new notes are lovely but I can't access them yet.  I think it must have something to do with the fact that my  computer clock is two minutes faster than yours, BK.

I just heard a song on my wonderful internet radio station wmkv that would be great for Guy Haines, (O woe is me) Mr. Jinx Stay Away From Me.  It was performed by Larry Clinton and his orchestra, sung by the redoubtable Bea Wain, who also sings The Lovely Wife's and my song, MY REVERIE (yes, based on the DeBussy ditty).  Larry Clinton also does a version of SHADRACH that is even better the Brook Benton's...In fact, I was once going to convert my father to pop music by playing him Brook Benton's SHADRACH  (I thought it had some aspects of Louis Jordan who my dad liked...so do I). He said it was pretty good, then pulled out Clinton's version and subsequently converted me to Big Bands.  I constantly raided his 78s from then on.

Anyway, Mr. Jinx is a zippy little number that might appeal to Mr. Haines and is certainly obscure.

BK, I think that pie is clogging my arteries.

Now I'm going to read the notes...or at least try to...

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 12:18:47 AM »

Well, I have now read the notes and I must say the notes were not poppycock, no, the notes were not.  I must now go to bed and hope my arteries unclog themselves of pie...or is it the onion rings?

CD: I shall endeavour to watch the wonderful TUNES OF GLORY sometime this weekend and all its wonderful extras.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 12:21:07 AM »

POPPYCOCK!

I'm here, waiting for the WUSSBURGERS to realize the error of their various and sundried ways.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 12:21:41 AM »

Has Ann caught up yet?  Has she given in to another brownie?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 12:22:12 AM »

"Given in to another brownie".  

Well, that could be taken two ways, couldn't it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:22:21 AM »

POPPYCOCK!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 12:42:16 AM »

Well, I guess I shall toddle off to the bedroom environment.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »

hehehe yes, it could, BK.  Thankfully this is a family site ;D

I did have another little bite of brownie...I promised myself I'd hit the gym tomorrow to make up for it.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 12:46:57 AM »

you're going to leave me all alone in the world...so sad

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 12:49:53 AM »

No, I'm still here - oh, a Stephen Sondheim reference.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 12:54:54 AM »

you're a bit young for that song, bk.  As Stritch would say "I'm still here? Where have you been?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 01:05:28 AM »

Ann, we are the only two non-WUSSBURGERS.  It is dangerous for me to be up so late with time on my hands.  I've been bidding on all manner of eBay items.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 01:07:49 AM »

That is dangerous

It's dangerous for me to be up so late with a plate of brownies nearby

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 01:07:49 AM »

Well, I suppose I shall now toddle off, but not before leaving you with one simple thought: POPPYCOCK.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 01:08:31 AM »

Poppycock...that can be a dangerous word too :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 01:08:33 AM »

But it's so pleasant sitting at the computer with the iPod on - I forget how late it is.

Jed

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 01:49:57 AM »

"Given in to another brownie".  

Well, that could be taken two ways, couldn't it?

My favorite recipe...

BOY SCOUT SURPRISE
1) Get 12 Brownies really hot...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 02:10:55 AM »

DVD: The wonderful Swedish version of "Chess". At last the show really works. I know DRs George and OzDerek enjoy this too.
DVD: "Home on the Range".  Quite delightful.

CD: Santo & Johnny.
Vinyl: The Best Of the Irish Rovers;
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 04:08:38 AM »

I cannot believe that DRMBarnum has a computer and not a phonograph!  I would think it were the opposite.   My late friend Bill Tynes, who first hired me in New York, only listened to his wind-up Victrola; I don't believe he considered anything written after 1950 to be music.   Whenever anyone visited Bill, there was always an RCA Victor Light Opera medley playing in the background.  Ethan Mordden used to say that Bill only liked THE KING AND I because it starred Gertrude Lawrence and Bill thought it was a 30s musical.

THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY:  poor Mr Irvng Stone, still insisting Michelangelo was not a friend of Dorothy's; those sonnets to Tomasso and the others were just "literary conceits."  I think Mr Heston also jumped on that bandwagon, probably with loaded rifles in each hand.  

DRMichael Shayne, Ben Bagley was one of the funniest men I ever met, and he was one of the cheapest.  By the early 1980s, when I worked with him, he was recording on the lowest possible budget and he had absolutely no artistic standards because the time and money spent were far more important than the artistry; his attitude toward wrong notes was "we'll take them out in the mix" and a session was like a casting call:  "lovely, thank you, next!"  The irony was that he claimed poverty and lived rather well in a lovely apartment in Queens, which I was lucky to see when Ben invited me one night to dinner.  The walls were covered in the original Harvey Schmidt artwork for the "Revisited" album covers.

Joanne Woodward was a total delight. She liked singing, and she seemed quite thrilled to be doing a recording!   She was fighting a cold so she was drinking lots of tea and taking lots of vitamin C, which we both agreed was the best remedy.  She did a duet with her singing teacher, Andy Anselmo.  It was for the same (?) Jerome Kern Revisited album that I did a chart for Rod McKuen, who was an old friend of Ben's.  He was also a charming, friendly guy, and I liked him and Miss Woodward both very much.

The song that Miss Woodward sang was "The Bull Frog Patrol," and Ben liked the "Scott Joplin" arrangement so much that he stuck a bit of it before the song itself.  Unfortunately, the tempo of the song had picked up in the session, so when the piece of music Ben decided to use as an intro meets the actual song's beginning, there's a bit of a traffic jam.

TOD:  CD:  Village Light Opera Group DEAREST ENEMY
         VCR:  Nothing
         DVD:  A film BK recommended, ON GUARD

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:09:21 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 05:04:22 AM »

Last night Jose said:

"The Drama Bookshop - if the reading does happen there - is walking distance from The Muse - just two blocks down.  Maybe three.  But it's definitely walking distance"

Not to be pedantic, but it's actually 6 blocks and if you count the half block (since Danise is on 46th Street, closer to 6th Avenue than 7th Avenue) walk to the main avenue and then the half block walk across 40th Street (DBS is in the middle of the block on 40th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues), it's seven blocks. That's still absolutely walking distance as any New Yorker will tell you, although there are those types who will jump in a cab to travel 7 blocks. I won't go into the issue that at 42nd Street Broadway and 7th Avenue split and veer off and what was 7th Avenue is now Broadway and what was Broadway is now 7th Avenue, which if you're walking down 7th Avenue adds another block to your walk because of the just noted change in street names/numbers. That information is too confusing for the morning and it's easier to show a person in person as they are walking across the street and down the town (I'm feeling Gertrude Steinish again). Anyway, suffice it to say, it's very easy to get to Drama Book Shop if the reading happens. The actual address of the book emporium is 250 West 40th St, New York, 10018 - (212) 944-0595. And that, Dear Readers, ends your lesson on New York City geography  ;D

I must move on to the Karfunkel Family Foundation. I think Karfunkel is a funnier word than Poppycock.

Karfunkel. But I shouldn't do that because I don't want to make fun of some family name. What if they should do a "google" and come across this here site only to see that I said their name sounds funny! They might hunt me down and throw me off the top of the Empire State Building.

DR Larry, I think that Kern album you mention (the Kern Revisited Volume 4) is the one on which my friend David Gebel appears. I think you arranged his number as well, Nice to Be Near. I could be wrong, though.

I'm listening to Composer of the Week on BBC Radio 3 right now and I don't know what I will listen to as the day goes along.

Next week will be a busy week for me. Starting on Tuesday, February 8th I will be going to the Theatre 5 times within the week. I'm seeing Picon Pie on Tuesday. It's a musical about the life of Molly Picon. I'm seeing a new off-Broadway play called McReele on Wednesday. It's part of my Roundabout subscription series. I'm seeing Dame Edna on Thursday. It's a birthday present from my two theatre buddies. I'm seeing The Musical of Musicals - The Musical on Saturday afternoon. It's just re-opened Off-Broadway at the new Dodger Stages facility. On Saturday evening I'm seeing the new Christopher Shinn play about a woman obsessed by the death of Kurt Cobain. Then on February 17th I'm seeing Shockheaded Peter, the British musical based on a 19th Century children's story and finally on February 22nd, I'm seeing the revival of La Cage aux Folles. Wow, I'm exhausted just typing it all out.

Now, on to the Karfunkel Family.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 05:58:33 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2005, 05:04:54 AM »

It's just me, all alone in the world. I know how the denizens feel. Ah, me.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 05:05:09 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2005, 05:17:33 AM »

It's just me, all alone in the world. I know how the denizens feel. Ah, me.

DRBen, I might have done the Kern chart for your friend, but I can't remember.  His name souonds familiar but I cannot put a face to it.  The curse of an aging mind!

Off to B & N so you're all alone for a bit.  Bear up, be brave!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 10:10:03 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2005, 05:23:56 AM »

I'm shirking my working. I was just finishing up one of the December days I hadn't read during my errant volunteer phase and I came across this little tidbit.

"Christopher Plummer CYRANO is coming out on CD in March, 2005

I am so happy to hear that. I saw the original production when it debuted at the Guthrie during it's difficult pre-Broadway tryout. From the time it left the Guthrie to th time got to New York it became a different prodution. People were let go left and right and willy nilly. I still remember loving the Guthrie production but I also have a great fondness for the Broadway cast album. This will be one less LP I need to transfer to CD!

td

• td
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2005, 05:45:14 AM »

I found a relief from grief this week once I put the Jerry Lewis films into the dvd player.  I have now watched:
CIDERFELLA (alright, but, not a laugh fest)
THE BELLBOY (a laugh fest and delightful)
THE NUTTY PROFESSOR (saw this in the drive-in as a child, it's actually very, very funny).
Up next is THE DISORDERLY ORDERLY.
Paramount (and Lewis) should be commended for the excellent transfers of these films.
From Netfilx:
BURNT MONEY - an Argentine (NOT Argento) flick about a couple of gay crooks.  Heavy duty.  Violent and thought-provoking.
THE KING OF KINGS - silent film from Cecil B. DeMille, leagues ahead of Mel Gibson's study in sadomasochism.
In the cd player:
Nancy LaMott Live at Tavern on the Green.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2005, 05:47:07 AM »

At home: The almost complete Ben Bagley collection (minus the two cds that were pulled by the time I started collecting them)

Car: Nancy LaMott Live at The Tavern On the Green (recorded 6 weeks before she passed away)
Listen To My Heart (the Off-Broadway show of David Friedman's songs)
Susan Egan: So Far
Susan Egan: Coffee House
Tami Tappan Damiano: Hot Notes
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 06:05:59 AM »

Friday media report:

CD (car) - Long audiobook, David McCullough's bio of John Adams.  Makes me want to listen to OBC of 1776!

DVD - Broadway: The Golden Age - watched the feature earlier in the week and this weekend will watch all the added features.  One standout part for me was seeing Mimi Hines, both in the film and during the credits singing, "Who Are You Now?"  The second show I ever saw on Broadway was Funny Girl in 1967, by which time she had taken over the role of Fanny.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 08:05:08 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2005, 06:57:14 AM »

Media check:

DVD: The Home Town Story (1951), Ski Troop Attack (1960).

CD: Turkish Pop Volume 2

VHS: Nothing

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 07:00:37 AM »

This weekends Bollywood movie is from 1948. Shri Ram Bhakt Hanuman. It is another version of Shri Ram and his wife Sita's journey into the forest for 14 years where they meet a bunch of half monkey/half men people.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 07:01:11 AM by MBarnum »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up