Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY  (Read 28680 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2005, 09:38:00 AM »

...one for Mahler!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2005, 09:39:38 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page three!  POPPYCOCK.

Surely someone must be listening to something.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2005, 09:55:14 AM »

Well, after The Woman in White, I still have Audra McDonald's concert of "The Seven Deadly Sins" on my MP3 watch.  I'll listen to that afterwards. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2005, 10:05:04 AM »

Well, right now I am listening to this album on-line.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2005, 10:13:03 AM »

I'm shirking my working. I was just finishing up one of the December days I hadn't read during my errant volunteer phase and I came across this little tidbit.

"Christopher Plummer CYRANO is coming out on CD in March, 2005

I am so happy to hear that. I saw the original production when it debuted at the Guthrie during it's difficult pre-Broadway tryout. From the time it left the Guthrie to th time got to New York it became a different prodution. People were let go left and right and willy nilly. I still remember loving the Guthrie production but I also have a great fondness for the Broadway cast album. This will be one less LP I need to transfer to CD!
Great cast album, one that I believe a roommate of der B's swiped when he moved out (as I was moving in.)  

He also swiped my copy of Pirates of Penzance, with Ronstadt.  I'm rather glad we never heard of him again.

It's so much fun, replacing bad roommates.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2005, 10:20:07 AM »

Surely someone must be listening to something.

iPod - Renee (Fleming) and Bryn (Terfel) Under the Stars
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2005, 10:22:04 AM »

Regarding time for the reading, 5-7 is best for me. I work until 4pm. I know most people work 9-5 but I'm outta here at 4pm every day so I can mosey uptown to a reading. Anything earlier would be difficult.

I'm about to listen to Heartbeats, a BK produced CD from the Pasadena Playhouse State Theatre of California (or so it says on the back of the CD). I found it at Academy for $12. Never heard it before, though I know of the show. As I said earlier this week, my BK collection is growing at an alarming pace. Now some might say that's "POPPYCOCK"[/U][/B] but not I. I say it's "KARFUNKEL"[/U][/B]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2005, 10:24:09 AM »

Have we had a posting yet about how much the cut pinkie bled?

If medical attention has not been given, DR Jennifer, are you (I hope) watching to make sure that red streaks don't start traveling up your arm from the site of the wound?

That's a sign of infection...so if it happens, do please seek "medical attention."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2005, 10:24:43 AM »

Poppycock comes from the Dutch, and literally means soft dung.

Merde.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2005, 10:27:34 AM »

What are other signs of infection?

Pus?

Gangrene?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2005, 10:30:02 AM »

I'm pretty much listening to composite CD's in the car right now.  A little bit of thisa anda thata.  You know.
Everything from "She Loves Me" to "Star is Born"--  from Rosemary Clooney to "Avenue Q."  From "Gypsy" to "The Full Monty."

I'm still cracking up over Pogue's having Marjorie Main and Joi Lansing together for dinner.  That's almost as good as the episodes of "Beverly Hillbillies" when Nancy Kulp was supposed to be Joi Lansing's stand-in.

Our very own Michael Barnum has a wonderful interview with William Reynolds in this month's issue of "Classical Images."  I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 10:30:21 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2005, 10:33:10 AM »

It took a while to catch up with yesterday's and today's notes.  We are a prolific bunch, wordwise.

Yesterday, der B decided that I must be getting cabin-crazy, and therefor that we should take a cab into town, our own car still being in the shop.  We ended up having dinner at the Purple Parrot, in their new digs.  Said new digs, closer to the beach, are nice, but while the PP has a larger dining room now, it has lost the upstairs "Birdcage," where they would hold kareoke and other entertainments.  Downstairs now has a series of garage doors which can be raised during the summer to let the sea breazes in.  Problem is, the plans are to hold the kareoke etc. in the front of the new restaurant, where there is bound to be noise pollution complaints.  Boo hiss.

We took another cab home.  About twelve minutes after settling in, the power went out.  This was a little after eight in the evening.  I decided to make an early night of it, while der B fiddled with a battery-powered CD player.  

The power is back now.  We also had some snow.  Hopefully we'll also have a car very soon!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2005, 10:38:07 AM »

I am up!  I am sick, but I am at my computer.  Whew!

I ordered INTIMATE STRANGERS on DVD recommended on this here site by MR BK.  I also ordered BEACH GIRLS AND THE MONSTER that MBARNUM told me had been released!  At last!  

DVD:  I LOVE LUCY The Third Season - "You know that hat I saw yesterday?  Well put it on my account and send it over by your fastest, speediest delivery." ACTION: Hang up telephone. SOUND (Door buzzer). REACTION: As only Lucy can.

CD:  FOREVER PLAID

VCR:  THE CARDINAL

Poppycock!  Hmmmmmmmmm......

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2005, 10:39:43 AM »

DR RODZINSKI I have that Paul Peterson 45 as well....I remember when he did "She Can't Find Her Keys" on the Donna Reed Show, and at the time, for some reason, I thought it was great!

I forgot that you can transfer albums to CD - MBARNUM.....technology.  Someday, I will catch up with it....sort of.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2005, 10:48:48 AM »

You want poppycock? Here's some poppycock for you. Rhetoric homework! I also have to post my response to the reading for my IAAAAWWOTD class, and I can't even remember what all that stands for.

By the way, does anyone happen to know if Aristotle would accept poetry, sculpture, music, and other arts as being rhetoric, given his argument in the "Rhetoric?" Just wondering.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2005, 10:51:35 AM »

MEDIA CHECK!

I haven't been doing much, but der B has.

Last night, the CD he decided to play was a compilation of 70s hits.  It's pitch dark, I'm settling in for a nice sleep, and suddenly he starts playing...DISCO!!!

:P

"Le Freak."  "Don't Leave Me This Way."  "I Will Survive."

His survival rating was going way down, I'll tell you.  I was about to strangle him when the familiar four notes came forth...

Da Da Da Dum!

"See, this isn't disco!" he proclaimed.

"Oh yes it is," I growled.

Sure enough, it was "A Fifth of Beethovan," that abomination whipping classical music into something that had a beat and you could dance to it.

He conceeded and found a disc of real classical music.  I went back to bed and didn't get up until very late this morning, feeling much better.

Ben

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2005, 10:54:57 AM »

Save me from TDF! I have just added another night of theatre to my schedule. On Monday February 7th I will be seeing Dirty Rotten Scoundrels w/John Lithgow and Norbert Leo Butz. Oh, my the benefits of TDF and a flexible schedule!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2005, 10:59:10 AM »

Meanwhile, der B has been loafing recouperating from his bruises of last week, staying in bed and watching some DVDs.  His judgement is as follows:

King Arthur: Jerry Bruckheimer has produced a boring film!  A first!

Dressed to Kill, the de Palma film: They sure edited the hell out of this film when the released it on television!  (But talk about lame dialogue!)

The Stepford Wives, the remake: The real problem is that the story is a horror story, and in trying to make it into a comedy Oz and Rudnick turned it into a film that was neither/nor.

Today, in the mail, the first season of Murder She Wrote has arrived.  By the time he's finished with those discs, I expect not only will his bruises to have healed, but he should be ready to join the local track club.  

Wishful thinking.   :-\   ::)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2005, 11:02:50 AM »

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState|1|0|30|0|0|1|0|0|0|52062663|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0&p=7

DR RON and anyone else interested.  The photos from New York's Fashion Week featuring the winners of Project Runway are at the link.

Don't look if you don't want to know.  I am horrified!  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2005, 11:15:33 AM »

MBARNUM - A Study in High Fidelity?  It sounds like a Sherlock Holmes story.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2005, 11:24:58 AM »

I forgot that you can transfer albums to CD - MBARNUM.....technology.  Someday, I will catch up with it....sort of.

Well, I have the technology, I think, just not the know-how! I have been paying a guy $5 a per CD to transfer them!

And thanks DR Kerry, for the mention of my William Reynold's interview! I think it turned out swell! And he is a neat guy, too!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]POPPYCOCK!!!!!![/move]

Poppycock Original For more than 40 years, POPPYCOCK® has been the Nuttiest Gourmet Popcorn. Always crunchy and splendidly scrumptious, POPPYCOCK clusters are a savory sensation. Loaded with premium nuts and fluffy popcorn topped with deliciously rich glazes, POPPYCOCK is a potpourri of tantalizing tastes

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:26:14 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2005, 11:26:49 AM »

Oh, I do love the Poppycock

vixmom

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2005, 11:27:41 AM »

I am having a very busy day at work today so (as DR Jose would say) Laters!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:28:05 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2005, 11:32:40 AM »

but before I go...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:33:01 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2005, 11:33:27 AM »

and one for Mahler....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:34:34 AM by vixmom »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2005, 11:35:12 AM »

POPPYCOCK!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2005, 11:35:58 AM »

Now I'm hungry.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2005, 11:39:13 AM »

Jane, I'm trying to wrap my brain around some logistics:  How far is your mailbox from your house?

I don't know, almost half a mile on our country road-way to dark to walk it in the evening.

I'm still waiting for our mutual friend to build her house on this quiet road.  Tired of waiting we decided to begin walking together once a week.  It has been fun.

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2005, 11:42:28 AM »

Have we had a posting yet about how much the cut pinkie bled?

If medical attention has not been given, DR Jennifer, are you (I hope) watching to make sure that red streaks don't start traveling up your arm from the site of the wound?

That's a sign of infection...so if it happens, do please seek "medical attention."

Was the first question serious or sarcastic?

If it was serious, it was actually bleeding for a long while (like 2+ hours).

It has since stopped bleeding. And i had it bandaged.  But it's starting to throb.I called the clinic to speak to a nurse to ask if i should have it looked at. She was not clear.  She basically said that if i was worried i could go in. But i really wanted her to say more.

Btw, it's not  a big cut.  It's a circle on my pinkie where the fingerprint is. It is about 5mm in diameter and maybe 1.5mm thick.

I've been holding it up, which relieves the pressure. But it feels like the blood has been drained from it. :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up