Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PIE DAY  (Read 28238 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:PIE DAY
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2005, 07:48:37 AM »

But this should bring us to Page 2!

I hope...

Whew!

OK...  I'll leave it to the next poster to DANCE!!!!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2005, 08:01:46 AM »

Ah... So sad to be all alone in the world....
I felt that way this morning when I was on-line here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2005, 08:03:27 AM »

In about twenty minutes, I'll be off to my Chinese buffet. Yes, I go early to avoid lunch crowds, and I usually have the buffets mostly to myself.

In line with today being pie day, I'll have to eat one of their cream puffs. Not pie exactly, but it's as close as I'll come today to having pie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2005, 08:06:32 AM »

It's been said before, and I'm certain it will be said again, that CAGNEY's performance in ONE, TWO, THREE is a sure thing when it comes to favorites.  That said, I also truly think his performance in RAGTIME is great.  After that, it's WHITE HEAT all the way.

BOGART:  CASABLANCA.  THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA.

ROBINSON: SOYLENT GREEN.  BULLETS OR BALLOTS.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2005, 08:11:30 AM »

There are a couple of people I was quite certain were dead - glad to see they're still with us.

That was how I felt seeing Mimi Hines on the Broadway:  The Golden Age DVD this week.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2005, 08:58:36 AM »

Good morning, all!

Speaking of Ohio, my sister lives there in the girlhood home of Marie Dressler. A fact which impresses me far more than my sister and her family!

Cagney: WHITE HEAT is unbelievable. But TORRID ZONE takes the cake (or pie). Good luck waiting for TCM to show it.

Bogie: I'll go with DEAD END for one reason. The scene where Bogie runs into his mom and she just rips him apart. Might be his best scene ever!

Edward G: Yes, td, BULLETS OR BALLOTS. Just pure goodness. And he gets to slap Bogie around a bit.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2005, 09:17:44 AM »

CP Keith thinks I’m not getting the radio station due to our satellite.  I use to get it-oh well.  I will try again next week.

Ron-I have the perfect glass pie plate-thanks.

Elmore come visit and I will bake you a Danish Apple pie.

Speaking of pie-I have a great meringue topping.  What I need is a great lemon filling to go with it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2005, 09:24:29 AM »

EFFLUVIA!

Jane

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2005, 09:25:07 AM »

Three of my favorite actors to discuss and I must rush off to make cheese enchiladas.

Okay quickly, gosh this is hard, they were so great in everything.

Bogart: AFRICAN QUEEN, CASABLANCA.  I will force myself to stop there.

Edward G:  KEY LARGO and everything else.

Cagney:  YANKEE DOODLE DANDY.
               Don’t laugh at this one, THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 09:35:40 AM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2005, 09:25:53 AM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  You'd think it was a Saturday or something.

The skies are not blue today, but perhaps they will be as the day goes on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2005, 09:26:31 AM »

I had quite a good night's sleep - unlike the last few nights, I fell asleep very fast last night.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2005, 09:32:14 AM »

I see what you are talking about with the Courts show now. I had been envisioning a stage show featuring Sybil Danning and all these other people and it was freaking me out.

It would be cool to talk to Marvin Kaplan.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2005, 09:34:20 AM »

BK, Robert Horton actually did the Courts show three or four years ago.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2005, 09:41:09 AM »

Did he sing cumulus nimbo?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2005, 09:43:02 AM »

I'm watching a man walk his two dogs.  His two hands of plastic gloves on and are holding two large white baggies.  When did it become de rigeur to pick up dog poop?  I'm really just curious.  Surely no one was picking up dog poop twenty years ago.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2005, 09:43:52 AM »

What I find interesting in scanning the showstoppers website is the descriptors that are slugged under some of these names like Fredd Wayne:  Best known as "Ben Franklin" in the classic BEWITCHED episode.  "Best known as"?...one lousy episode?  Now there is a tenuous fame; a dubious celebrity...When you can only be identified as "Best known as" from one episode of a forty-year-old TV show, I suspect you will not be selling a lot of autographs.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2005, 09:48:14 AM »

Keith’s list:

Bogart-CASABLANCA, AFRICAN QUEEN-same as mine only the order is reversed.

Edward G-LITTLE CEASAR, BROTHER ORCHID, Oh yes, I forgot about Brother, add it to my list.

Cagney-ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, ONE TWO THREE, MISTER ROBERTS. Angels and Roberts, two more wonderful films I should have included.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2005, 09:52:59 AM »

I also found that funny. Just did a little Fredd Wayne recon. He played Ben Franklin on TWO episodes of "Bewitched" and was Ben Franklin in some America-themed movie just a few years ago. Otherwise a lot of little character parts. Will he dress as BF at the event?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2005, 09:53:59 AM »

It became de rigeur to pick up after your mutt when you couldn't walk down the street or play in your yard without stepping in something.  Unless you live in the wilderness, it is what the conscientious pet owner does.  Dog crap fouling the highways and byways is also just a health hazard and none to aromatic on the nostrils on a hot day...particularly in the valley where you live.  That's why I told Julieanne before we got Tewkes, I wanted a small dog...less food to buy, less food consumed, less poop to pick up.  Small dog, small poop!

I went up to Horton at the show and told him how much I admired 110 IN THE SHADE and that it was one of my favourite musicals.   It was like he could've cared less...sort of "if you're not going buy my John Hancock on my  8X10 glossy, bub, push off."  

There was also not a big crowd around him.  Maybe he was disgruntled that he wasn't getting the attention he felt he deserved.  I think my pal Pat got somewhat the same vibe off him when he went up to him, extolling Wagon Train.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2005, 09:59:03 AM »

A fun game would be, you get the list of all the entertainers, then prior to the event, you have to guess whether their demeanor will be generally positive, generally negative or neutral. Whoever guesses the most right wins.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2005, 10:02:15 AM »

I just had to pop in an say that "Pie Day" is an excellent kind of day to have.  I haven't had pie since Christmas (and it wasn't too good) and I for one am ready to partake!  Cherry, blueberry, coconut cream and pecan are my favorites. ;D

Now, I have to take a shower, shave and get my clothes ready (I had to supply my own costume) for the Barbershop show today.  The costume was just a couple of different shirts, black pants and black shoes.  I'll be gone all day (we have two shows and only a couple of hours for a break) but I'll make sure that I have pie somewhere. :D

As for the Topic of the Day:

Cagney:  Yankee Doodle Dandy and Mr. Roberts

Bogart:  Casablanca and The African Queen

Robinson:  umm...Never a Dull Moment ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 10:03:17 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2005, 10:07:25 AM »

The Lady finally woke up and, she doesn't know it yet, but we are heading out for pie, pronto! Peace out.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2005, 10:13:35 AM »

Rodzinski, it wouldn't surprise me if he dressed in his "best known as" part so that he'd be "best known" at the event.  It might help conjure up a misty memory for someone, "Oh...yeah...uh...yeah...a...you're that...guy..."

Sometimes you get some pretty sad cases.  There are a couple of guys who come dressed in their full cowboy regalia, no one knows who they are (Z cowboys from B westerns, I guess), but you could shoot rabbits with buckshot in front of them and not hit anyone, so sparse is their little corner of the show.  You just sort of pass by them and try to avoid eye contact.  Because even if you stopped, you'd have nothing to say to them..."Hi, I don't remember you.  I never saw anything you were in that I remember.  Who are you?  Why are you here?  Does your mother know you're out, Cecila?"

However, sometimes you spot someone truly interesting who has no one around them.  I found Britt Lomond this way.  He is the guy who played the evil commandant on the Disney Zorro TV series and was really an engaging fellow and nice man.  And as I recall, was in real life an very good fencer.  I bought and had him autographed a great picture of him crossing blades with Guy Williams.

And speaking of Guy Williams, this can tell you something of the absurdity levels to which these shows can descend.  Guy Williams, Jr. frequently appears at these shows with dad's cape and hat and sword but as far as any of us have been able to determine no discernable talent or justifiable fame of his own.  He is merely Guy Williams' son.  I don't know whether he signs his dad's pictures or what.  It baffles my ken of understanding.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2005, 10:20:02 AM »

Gene Barry was the only grumpy celeb I came across at my trips to the Court's shows...everyone else that I have visited were very kind and seemed to be having lots of fun...of course I was buying autographs from all of them, so that might have been why they were smiling! LOL!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2005, 10:22:48 AM »

Rodzinski, interesting idea for a game...but then you'd have to go up to them and actually talk to them.  

What's interesting often for BK and me and my pal Pat, who I always go with, is to see how many of them we actually know or have worked with.  I've worked with Rose Marie.  BK can usually win this one hands down.  I think he's worked with everybody...Happy Days, Partridge Family, The Young Lawyers, etc....

The other thing is how many of the people who are trawling the booths like us do we know...This is a small world (sometimes a scary one) and you meet all kinds of collectors and authors there.  Sometimes Rudy Behlmer.  Sometimes Bob Osborne. We can always expect to bump into the ubiquitious Myles Kreuger...author, scholar, collector, and bon vivant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2005, 10:25:30 AM »

EFFLUVIA!

PIE!

Don't forget - we want to hear all about the pie.

Trying to decide if I want to write this weekend.  I've already done over my seven days-worth of pages, so I could take a break.  Maybe I'll just do some smoothing out and little additions I've noted.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2005, 10:25:33 AM »

My one Gene Barry story froma director friend of mine.  Barry kept resisting a piece of direction in rehearsal.  The director cut and said, "Gene, come even further downstage left for that."  Barry replied, "Do I have to, Dick?  It's so cold and lonely down here."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2005, 10:26:57 AM »

Pogue, as long as everyone is doing their own celebrity show, we should do one.  Have only celebs we like.  And lots of writers.  And directors.  I'll bet it would do well.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2005, 10:27:23 AM »

WARNING: I you eat too much pie, you could have EFFLUVIA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2005, 10:28:35 AM »

And about two years ago I suggested to someone that we do an East Coast version of the Courts show with Broadway types.  We even looked into venues, but then the people I was discussing it with lost interest and certainly I wasn't going to do the work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up