Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SUPER BOWL SUNDAY  (Read 25784 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SUPER BOWL SUNDAY
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2005, 12:17:53 PM »

It's very grayish here in the City of Studio.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2005, 12:23:52 PM »

I don't think NY has that many really good pizza places. There are lots of decent ones, but few that really knock one's socks off.

John's and Patsy's do the gourmet thing very well. A small chain called Two Boots has some really great pies named after characters in Tarantino films and such.

When in Northern California, I appreciate a chain called Round Table for their generosity.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2005, 12:32:25 PM »

I really have got to get on a better sleep schedule.  this whole 4 am to 12 pm thing just isn't natural.  Or maybe it is for me, who knows.

I have a book I've been wanting to start and read, so my plan for today is to let the SB be background noise and read my book, glancing up when I want the score.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:36:59 PM by Ann »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2005, 12:33:49 PM »

It is also very grey in the Wood of Holly.  

The first pizza parlor I remember as a kid and I think they may have been a small chain was Pasquales' (hope I spelled that right) Pizza.  

My mother used to actually make pizza from scratch.  A favourite kid memory was, after my parents had a party, going downstairs the next morning after and eating leftover cold pizza before anyone else was up.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2005, 12:38:06 PM »

it is also gray and rainy around the Tacoma area.  First time we've had such weather in awhile, which is very unusual.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2005, 12:39:59 PM »

I must go out now and get some foodstuffs for later.  I'll be back shortly.  

PHLEGM!

So much talk of pizza - that may have to be today's food, although my memory of other Super Bowl Sundays is that pizza places are really busy.

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2005, 12:40:38 PM »

Abby's Pizza Parlor was our pizza place of choice. We would go almost every Friday evening, usually after my dad's baseball game. We would usually get your basic combination or the Hawaiian, and sometimes the smoked oyster.

It was also a place where they had a spot for the kids to sit and watch the guys make the pizza, and I always would plunk a nickel or dime in the jukebox and play and Olivia Newton John song...can't recall which one now.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2005, 12:47:13 PM »

A quick check on the internet reveals several Pasquale's Pizzas still flourishing in Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati area.

There was a revew in the LA TIMES today about the re-release of Elvis' seminal first album and how experimental it was and how much today's rock record producers could learn from it.  So I've been listening to ELVIS THE KING OF ROCK 'N' ROLL:  THE COMPLETE FIFTIES MASTERS...which includes this album and it's easy to see why he was...and still is...The King...Michael Jackson, pi-tuui...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:49:17 PM by Charles Pogue »

Danise

« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2005, 12:51:06 PM »

Good morning folks!

Sorry I was E & T yesterday.  Busy day/evening.  

I’m sorry to say that I did NOT have pie yesterday. But if I had, I might not be able to fit in my new (not but brag but I am) size 8 (you are not seeing things) jeans.   I can hardly believe it myself.

I really enjoyed driving Bonnie all around yesterday.  How nice it is to have a smooth riding, quiet vehicle.  I am learning not to stomp on the gas pedal so I am back to my normal speeds. It seems like I’m crawling.  Some old habits die hard.  I’m not used to having AC and am still putting the window down instead of using it.  I guess when summer comes I’ll start.  

I filled the gas tank the other week and reset the trip odometer to see what kind of gas mileage I’m getting.  I’ve already gone over thirty miles and the gas needle hasn’t moved.  I learned that my trip to the bus stop is exactly .4 miles from the driveway to where I park so my round trip is .8 miles a day.  

Did I tell you all about the extra remotes I bought for Bonnie off of E-bay?  I got two of them for under twenty-five dollars.  I had to call the guy to ask how to reset them but he was very nice about it and they work GREAT!  Who knew that just turning the key on and off eight times fast would reset the remotes?

Now Mom has a remote and I have a spare as a “just in case”.    I know Mom would never drive the SUV or the Van but I think it makes her feel good to have her own set of keys.

I meant to say the other night that I’ve been reading the AARP magazine since my Mom started getting it years ago.  I always enjoy it.  When I turn fifty, I will join so I can get it as well.

I looked on Amazon for the boxed Errol Flynn set but I didn’t see it.  That’s ok.  I’ll wait for it.

I bought The Karate Kid collection yesterday.  We watched the first movie last night.  It seemed different to me.  I would have sworn that I saw some other version of the ending.  It seemed there were some missing scenes.   Does anyone else think that?

I gave up on BattleStar Galactica .  Just can’t get into it.  Of course, I’m tired on Friday night so trying to stay up until eleven is really hard.  Hate to say it but the same for Enterprise.  I just never “got it”.

BK, if you want a good chicken recipe, allow me to give you one.  It’s cooking in my house as I type this and I promise you that it is very good.

Roast Chicken n’ Vegetables

6 small new red potatoes, halved
1 (12 ounce) package (2 cups) fresh baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise—I cheat on this and just put in a package of those little carrots.
2 medium onions, quartered
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 ½ to 3 ½ pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  In roasting pan or 10 inch ovenproof skillet place potatoes, carrots, and onions.  In 1 quart sauce pan melt butter; stir in all remaining ingredients except chicken.  Brush about 2 tablespoons butter mixture over vegetables.  Place chicken, skin side up, in pan on top of and around begetables.  Brush chicken with remaining butter mixture.  Bake for 45 to 50 mixtures or until chicken is fork tender and golden brown.  

I don’t do it exactly the way this says.  I put it all in a slow cooker and I add mushrooms.  I put it on about 2 o’clock on about 300 degrees and it’s ready by 5.  It is very, very, very (3 verys) good.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2005, 12:54:08 PM »

OH!  Page FOUR!!!

In honor of the my Filipino heritage, I shall do the Tinikling - the dance that takes three people to do!  Two people to hold the bamboo sticks, and one person to do the actual dance - although sometimes it's done in couples.  Watch your toes!

Once again...

Laters...

I remember doing that when I was in school.  Not that I was very good at it.  I got my ankle cracked a couple of times.  :( :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2005, 12:55:11 PM »

God, I wish I was in London right now.  Derek Jacobi is getting terrific reviews (as is the play in general) for his chilliong performance in Schiller's DON CARLOS.  They are calling the play a masterpiece.  The play also stars Richard Coyle who played geeky Jeff in the original British COUPLING.  I saw Jacobi in as Prospero in THE TEMPEST two years ago.  It was not the best Tempest I ever saw, but it was easily the best Prospero I ever saw.  A great Prospero, I think.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2005, 12:55:22 PM »

Speaking of Olivia Newton John, "Grease" was on this morning on the HBO. That is a movie I have a hard time separating on a critical and emotional level. It was one of the first movies I was taken to as a kid that Walt Disney wasn't involved with. It was life-altering experience. I fell totally in love with Olivia and for the life of me could not understand why she sold herself out there at the end to look so ghastly.

Danise

« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »

What she said.

The end.

P.S. This Cherry Coke is very good.

When I was a little girl, I didn't know how to sign off of a letter by saying, "sincerely yours" or "bye for now" so I would put "THE END".

At least you knew when I was finished.

THE END

Danise
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2005, 01:32:34 PM »

The post I posted about pizza didn't post. (Got all that?) I don't remember what all I said, but it was very witty, whatever it was.

Any way, it had something to do with Stefano's (Two guys from Italy) Pizza on Hollywood Boulevard.

I got a refill on this Cherry Coke. It is still quite yummy.

We will soon be going to the church Super Bowl party. We have one of these every year, but never seem to turn on the TV and watch the game.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2005, 03:05:06 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  I went to the market, which was a madhouse, so I didn't get much of anything.  All the fast food joints are jammed.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2005, 03:05:51 PM »

Well, ain't nobody here but us chickens, BK...Guess everybody else is superbowling.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 03:20:35 PM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2005, 03:18:57 PM »

Can you believe it?  Quite unseemly, if you ask me.  I'm going to eat my lunch now - an Entenmann's Chocolate donut covered with Swiss Vanilla Almond ice cream.  A fine lunch, if you ask me.  Of course, what do you get when you eat ice cream for lunch?

PHLEGM!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2005, 03:21:47 PM »

Enoy the nap that will come after your usual but tasty lunch...you're heading for a major sugar coma...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2005, 03:45:33 PM »

Is tinkikling close to what they do in  CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG in the song "Me Old Bamboo"?

I am from and still reside in Mooresville Indiana, DR RODSINSKI....which is about 15 miles southwest of Indy!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2005, 04:11:22 PM »

I am sick sick sick. Have slept most of the days away.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »

I fully intend to watch the Super Bowl this afternoon, but FOUR HOURS of pre-game show is thoroughly ridiculous!  I mean, c'mon, there are only two teams to talk about, and there have only been these two teams to talk about for two weeks.  Overkill in the extreme.
Clearly, you never watch any of the news stations (like Fox or MSNBC or CNN).  They are like this day after day, and they don't even bother with talking about sports!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2005, 04:22:27 PM »

It is also very grey in the Wood of Holly.
It's a giant conspiracy, where the weather is rigged to be beautiful on New Years Day (in time for the Rose Bowl and Parade), then grim on Super Bowl Sunday to drive all the people who moved to SoCal because of the weather they saw on the TV set back inside to watch the commercials.  (Which, by the way, explains why the Super Bowl commericials cost millions just to buy the air time!!!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2005, 04:27:15 PM »

Tonight, real guy food.  Venison chops, roasted beets, and jalapeno hushpuppies.

Counts as guy food in my house.

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

We really can't have that many people watching this thing called the Super Bowl, can we?  Can we?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2005, 05:09:49 PM »

I cried my way through THE RETURN OF THE KING once again. Just a beautiful film though I could do with a little less battle footage. Just not a war buff. Very necessary to the story and lots of thrilling moments during the battle scenes, but they do go on.

But such beautiful humanity as part of the story, and that's why I love it so much. Naturally, the extended edition looked fabulous and sounded even more so - there aren't many scenes that aren't filled with rumbling low bass.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 05:10:19 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2005, 05:13:07 PM »

Sorry to read you're under the weather, DR Michael Shayne. Hope you feel better presently.

BTW, I really did love the extended edition of ROTK as opposed to the theatrical version. The added scenes added much appreciated information and made for a much richer experience.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2005, 05:13:55 PM »

Super Bowl? No way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2005, 05:21:29 PM »

Ohmagawd, it's the Halftime Show at the Superbowl!

IS SIR PAUL GONNA FLASH A TITTIE????!!!!

8)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2005, 05:34:46 PM »

Welcome bdapp!

Bruce only you would eat whip cream on custard pie.  :P It just shouldn’t be done.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2005, 05:37:20 PM »

Loved Amber's.  At the corner of Woodman and Ventura.  Wonderful.  And caused lots of PHLEGM.

Broasted chicken-right?  That was around the corner from our apartment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up