Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SUPER BOWL SUNDAY  (Read 25663 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SUPER BOWL SUNDAY
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2005, 09:58:49 AM »

OK... Workshop over.  -Interesting how the whole Genius Bar concept works.

Well, I need to head across the street to Whole Foods and get a bite to eat then head in for the matinee...

Signing off from the Apple Store Clarendon...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2005, 09:59:48 AM »

I guess I did read yesterday's notes, but I thought they were today's.  The hazards of skipping a day.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2005, 10:00:38 AM »

OH!  Page FOUR!!!

In honor of the my Filipino heritage, I shall do the Tinikling - the dance that takes three people to do!  Two people to hold the bamboo sticks, and one person to do the actual dance - although sometimes it's done in couples.  Watch your toes!

Once again...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2005, 10:00:53 AM »

If the Oriloes win, do we here at Haines His Way get anything?  
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »

We had a Shakey's in Ashland when I was a kid (early 70s)...I had forgotten all about it! That must be the place that I remember going to that showed silent movies...I loved it, but we only went once or twice. As we lived in Medford I have no idea why we were eating pizza all the way down in Ashland (10 miles to the south)...we must have been visiting friends or something.

Kerry

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2005, 10:16:11 AM »

Ah Shakey's.  I remember when they started and going there as a kid.  There was one by my high school, and we'd go there sometimes when one of us had money.  High school lunches usually consisted of going to Carnation Dairy's Coffe Shop and getting an order of French Fries and a cherry Coke (in honor of our dear Sandra who wouldn't be born for decades) or sometimes a special Chocolate Malt (since I was a regular, they knew just how I liked it-- 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, one scoop of chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup and extra malt).  Now I'd probably have to take a Lactaid first-- the joys of aging.

BUT I do remember the potatoes at Shakey's (which is how all this started before I got on my little red wagon of lunch and went off in another direction).  Of course, they weren't called Mojo Potatoes then; they were just large flat French Fries (i.e., steak potatoes) called Shakey's Fries or something like that.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2005, 10:22:57 AM »

Jose,  Don't worry about the rice.  That's what Minute Rice and Uncle Ben's are for.

Now, if you start getting into the various Basmati Rices and purple rices and all that, I have great recipes that are very simple-- (they all get boil down, so to speak, to the same thing:  let MusicGuy do it).

Actually I used to be a very good cook and did all the cooking.  One of my specialties was--- you guessed it--- CAKE!!!!!!!   I got tired of cooking, and somehow he started doing the cooking (probably because I was too busy with whatever I was working on at the time).  So, I haven't cooked for a good twenty years now.  The one or two times I have cooked, I still can, but automatically knowing what to do takes awhile to get get back.  
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2005, 10:25:55 AM »

Ah yes the Shakey's Fries.  I am still IN Indiana, DRRODZINSKI with no Shakey's to be found that I know of.  Yes, you could watch them cook, and yes you saw silent movies on the wall - usually the same one two or three times if you were there long enough.  I think they also served beer.  And then there was the piano.  Yes, it was a fun place.

DRKERRY just yesterday at a thrift shop, I found the perfect Art Deco style picture frame for the lovely photo of Allison Hayes you sent me many months ago.  I hadn't found one in all that time.....but it is now ensconced and looking lovely!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2005, 10:28:57 AM »

Wind and storms headed our way as well, MBARNUM.....so I think I shall watch some DVD's as well.

Now I love DOUBLE IDEMNITY - but there is ONE scene that pivots on a physical probability that I can't get past....it just doesn't happen that way....and if anyone can remember what it is.....well....any guesses?

DR HISAKA you have a great start on your viewing.  As DRMATTH (our HHW EW correspondent) said Broadway Melody of 1938 and 1940 are two different pictures.  Both have their pleasures.  Don't worry about not getting THE APPLE!  GYPSY is still worth waiting or searching for.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2005, 10:30:45 AM »

First, George, your roommate is a classic VCR ignoramous.
No, Rodzinski, my roomate is a doofus.  A somewhat narrow-minded, overly formal, inexperienced-in-the-ways-of-(and-quite-afraid-of)-technology, too-frequently-toilet-plugging (TMI! TMI!) doofus.  Otherwise he's a nice guy, but still.... ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2005, 10:36:35 AM »

DR George, I'm sorry you missed this week's ENTERPRISE. It was an outstanding resolution to last week's cliffhanger, and had a little of everything: a good fight scene, some heartfelt emoting from Scott Bakula, some genuine tension with the trapped Tripp and Malcolm, and the death of a character which led to some hostile feelings.

Thanks for the info, Matt.  Fortunately, I work with a woman who tapes "Enterprise."  I'll be able to get a copy from her, so all is not lost...just inconvenienced. :-\
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 10:48:19 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2005, 11:05:54 AM »

Question for all DRs who did NOT grow up with Shakey's pizza:

Where did you go for pizza, instead?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2005, 11:09:33 AM »

Also, as a point of comparison, Shakey's pizza has/had a somewhat doughy, not very thin (a la New York) but not thick crust.  And definitely not a pan pizza (a la Chicago).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:11:27 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »

Well, I'm going to leave now.  I want to watch "Battlestar Galactica," as well as several unmarked tapes to find out what's on them.  My housemate's friends will be coming over at some point and I want to be out of the way.

George

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2005, 11:18:06 AM »

One last thing:  I had pie for brunch!  It was quite good.  Yesterday, I wrote that the whole pie that I bought from Shari's had six pieces, but I didn't really look very closely at the pie.  It was actually cut into only five pieces.  So now I only have three (but still rather large) pieces of my coconut cream pie left.  Pie...it's good!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2005, 11:22:49 AM »

I think I shall have another piece of apple pie.

I just noticed that my problem with DOUBLE INDEMNITY has been written about on at IMDB, so it is not without comment.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:23:09 AM by JRand54 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2005, 11:37:57 AM »

Sorry for my absence this morning.   Adelphia has been horrid lately and has been down for most of the morning.  What is most annoying about it is they never ever just say they're having a problem.  You are always put through their standard series of "tests" because instead of checking to see if it's them they just assume it's your computer.  Last time they did this my wireless device got totally screwed up and I had to call Apple to have it reset and reconfigured.  So, this morning it's been down, I was put through the series of tests, and all seems to be well now - but I still believe it was them.  Thank goodness the wireless device didn't get screwed up this time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2005, 11:38:17 AM »

And to Adelphia I say PHLEGM!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2005, 11:38:34 AM »

Michael Shayne, Billy Wilder had a very productive writing career, both in Germany and America, before he ever directed his first feature in the early forties, THE MAJOR & THE MINOR.  I think Wilder himself always considered himself a writer first and has admitted that he took up directing as a defense to protect his writing.  Needless to say, he was great at both.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2005, 11:38:43 AM »

It's Super Bowl Sunday isn't it?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2005, 11:39:57 AM »

I hope Rodzinski, got some sleep...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2005, 11:56:38 AM »

I have never seen a Bogart movie.

I like pie.

The phone man is supposed to come tomorrow. I am at a sandwich shoppe eating a sandwich whilst perusing the posts.  DR Sandra is drinking a cherry coke.

The end.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2005, 12:01:25 PM »

What she said.

The end.

P.S. This Cherry Coke is very good.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jed

« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2005, 12:04:23 PM »

Question for all DRs who did NOT grow up with Shakey's pizza:

Where did you go for pizza, instead?

We were primarily a Pizza Hut family (we lived only a block away when I was but a wee sprig of a twig of a lad), but the best pizza in Ellensburg was at a family-owned place across the street from the university called Frazzinni's.  They sold the place about 7 or 8 years ago and it's now called Grant's, but thankfully the pizza has not changed one bit.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »

Okay.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2005, 12:07:19 PM »

Oh yes, sleep. Charles Pogue, didn't mean to leave you hanging. I was up late watching movies, then I thought, hey I could be there at the moment the new notes come up! And that was worthwhile, but then I brought up Mojo Potatoes and all bets were off. Thoughts of Shakey's kept me awake. I made up for it by sleeping well into today.

It would be plegmatically cool if someone could fax me Mojo Potatoes.

Jed

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2005, 12:08:38 PM »

Oh, and how could I forget the old Pizza Mia.  It was also across the street from the university, and was very much a student hangout (my parents tell tales of dime beer nights).  Never did go in there, but I remember the pizza being pretty good, and the grinders being simply faboo.  Sadly closed some 15 years ago...

Jed

« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2005, 12:11:18 PM »

I fully intend to watch the Super Bowl this afternoon, but FOUR HOURS of pre-game show is thoroughly ridiculous!  I mean, c'mon, there are only two teams to talk about, and there have only been these two teams to talk about for two weeks.  Overkill in the extreme.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2005, 12:12:34 PM »

JRand54- Where in the Hoosier State are you? I was born in the same place as Prof. Harold Hill.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »

As those who've read the Kritzer books know, my first introduction to pizza was at Big Town Market here in LA.  Maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me, or maybe it's just because it was the first pizza I ever had, but I have not had many pizzas since that are better than those slices were.

We also had Piece o' Pizza, where they had great pizza and the best Italian salad dressing I've ever had.  I think there still may be one Piece o' Pizza (Had a piece lately?) left - in Culver City.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up