Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HARSH MISTRESS  (Read 26560 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HARSH MISTRESS
« on: November 01, 2003, 12:34:41 AM »

Well, if you've read today's notes you know what to do.

Also, be sure to check out what you missed yesterday - I posted some new paintings which are nice to look at.

I'll be checking in from work in a little while.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 12:36:56 AM by bk »

Jennifer

Re:THE HARSH MISTRESS
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 12:36:41 AM »

I want the first post please!

Jennifer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 12:38:33 AM »

Btw, is it just me, or do today's notes appear in between Oct 30th and Oct 31st?

Btw2, is this the first time an east coaster got first post at 3:30am? :)

Wow, can't believe how many posts there were to catch up on. When I left for Halloween at 6pm, there was nothing. And then bam!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 12:48:50 AM »

BK, speaking of Simon & Garfunkel, tonight (Saturday) my sister, her boyfriend and her daughter are going to Seattle to see Simon & Garfunkel in concert!  Just had to share.  I'll report later on my A/V selections.

Hope everyone had a safe and sane Halloween!

Last night after work, I didn't go home to my apartment until about 7:30 and then after that, only one person knocked.  I didn't answer because I didn't have any candy to give out.  I gave at the office (literally).  We had a finger-food potluck and costume contest.  I dressed as Charlie Brown (I have a C.B. shirt), but didn't win anything.  Good food, though.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 12:57:43 AM »

Hey BK, I'm curious. What was the season finale for Alias season 1? (you can post spoilers in case anyone else is also watching this series on dvd). Also, what is the plot twist that you thought would happen? (I won't tell you if it does happen, unless you want me to). But you have me curious.

I don't think anyone answered Danise's question about posting smilies. I'll try to help.  Email me if you don't understand this.

For some reason you can't just copy and paste smilies here. But once you get the hang of it it's not hard.

We've been taking them from http://www.clicksmilies.com

Go there, and make sure the smilies are on "board" and not "email".  Choose a category. When you put your cursor on one, the link in the box will change. Just copy that link and put it in the "reply" box (not quick reply). It comes with image links and everything!  And presto you have smilies!

This one is cute!

(btw, you can preview it to make sure it stuck, but you should see image brackets around your link).

Btw2, halloween was fun. I'm trying to decide what my favorite costume was.  I always try to guess what the kids are wearing. One kid was wearing a light brown furry thing with ears. I said, "oh are you a rabbit?" The kid said "no I'm a kangeroo" and pointed to his pouch with a baby kangeroo.

That was not my fault. I didn't see the pouch or the baby! :)

The weather was amazing! I couldn't believe it. This must have been the warmest Halloween ever. I wasn't wearing a jacket. It must have been close to 60F.

And the enchiladas turned out great. Unfortuately I had to make 3 kinds (vegetarian, chicken, and beef). But everyone enjoyed them!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 01:30:45 AM »

Happy Birthday to Dear Reader Mark Rothman!!

In the cd player, DR MusicGuy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 02:10:37 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Mark!

Actually bk, ALIAS used that episode entitled Q&A to try to lure in new viewers who they thought would be too confused to jump right into the middle of the action. It allowed people who joined late to catch up since shows like ALIAS never repeat well (ratings wise). The ratings for ALIAS have never been very good, but I think they were honestly trying to recap for the benefit of latecomers, not save money by doing a greatest hits episode. '24,' another serialized drama like ALIAS, does not do a recycle show, but its unique premise of an hour in the life of the main character would pretty much prevent that anyway.

I also am not sure you're going to be able to predict too much about the season 2 cliffhanger because in the middle of season 2, the show does a major turnaround and heads off in a totally new direction, again done to gain more viewers and make the show less complicated. (This is the episode that was telecast after the Super Bowl gaining for ALIAS its largest audience ever.) Then, the show turns around yet again at the end of the second season. (I don't think these are major spoilers, but if they are, I'm sorry. I'm just taking up for the show a little bit.)

Media check:

CD - just finished AVENUE Q and have nothing else new on deck, so I'll probably pull out BRIGADOON with Brent Barrett and Rebecca Luker, the John McGlinn recording.

VHS - two episodes from ESPN's PLAYMAKERS soap opera
Also, the 1979 BBC version of SHE LOVES ME.

DVD - Charlie Chaplin's LIMELIGHT
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 02:15:55 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 04:04:14 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Mark Rothman. Wow, what a huge number we had yesterday. I went to bed thinking it would be easy to catch up (or ketchup) and then find 3 more pages when I log on. My, my, my.

It's supposed to be a beautiful late fall day here in NYC so I will go get some breakfast and begin to take advantage of same.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2003, 04:18:29 AM »

OK, here goes. Some pictures. Not all in one post, but one after the other. First is a picture of Ant and me at my company's Holiday Party in 1996. After that will be various costumes and life shots. They were up earlier but far too big and I have re-sized them so they don't make us wide-screen.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 05:43:54 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2003, 04:19:17 AM »

Now we have Mr. Peanut at a costume party.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2003, 04:19:42 AM »

For those that may have missed it because I posted rather late I went out last night as Bruce Kimmel. The picture is below.

Thanks to the costume I was able to get a trick and then a treat.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 04:20:28 AM »

Here is number three.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 05:44:44 AM by Ben »

Michael

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2003, 04:28:34 AM »

Happy Birthday Mr. Mark Rothman

A picture of Mr. Rothman below.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 04:31:46 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 04:32:38 AM »

Me as Oscar the Grouch in 1982.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 05:45:20 AM by Ben »

Michael

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2003, 04:35:26 AM »

Ben. They are really big. Bring them down. (An almost Les Miz reference)

Not all mainly Danger Mouse and the Prom Queen.

I didn't mean you had to delete the posts!! I think the pictures were swell, just big!!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 10:23:57 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2003, 04:48:33 AM »

CD - just finished AVENUE Q and have nothing else new on deck, so I'll probably pull out BRIGADOON with Brent Barrett and Rebecca Luker, the John McGlinn recording.

Avenue Q really sounds interesting but I wonder if you really need to see the show to appreciate it?

The Brigadoon recording is excellent and I recommend I got long before I knew about them from BK rep players. And don;t forget about Judy Kaye who is fab on it. And Greg Jbara who really doesn't sing on it.
 A great overall cast on this recording and the most complete. The only number I believe is not on it is the Rain Exorcism
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2003, 05:01:33 AM »

Whew...............  :P

All those #*$&ing messages from yesterday!  But they were all entertaining and informative - and I couldn't miss a one of them.

Lovely pictures - I enjoy seeing other DRs in their natural habitats! And there was Jose with the Oz-ians!  And more of Mr BK's art! And today - DR Ben in more costumes than you can shake a stick at!  :D

MDS - your costume was fantastic and the makeup terrific!  I thought you looked a bit more like Guy Haines - but I could see what you were going for.

Happy Birthday DR Mark Rothman!

CD Player - Jeepers Creepers
VCR - BERSERK! with Miss Joan Crawford
DVD - KOI ... MIL GAYA - a sci-fi Bollywood Musical with much to recommend it.  A very nice performance by Rekha as the mother!  And of course LOTS of music!

On the phonograph - FOLLIES - OBC album!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2003, 05:09:58 AM »

On the phonograph - FOLLIES - OBC album!

What's a phonograph?

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2003, 05:11:44 AM »

DR Ben, those costumes are the bomb! Really priceless. Thanks for providing me with some wonderful early morning smiles.

DR MDS, I'm sure in that get-up you got TRICKS and TREATS.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2003, 05:22:40 AM »

Not sure about anyone else, by my screen is now in widescreen.

Good morning!  And don't tell anyone, but even though I didn't sleep much, and am quite sick, I'm going shopping (well I'm up, I might as well do something useful :)

Ben

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2003, 05:26:46 AM »

Hey, Jennifer, I think it was me. Try refreshing and see if it's still a problem. I scaled down the pictures. DangerMouse and the Prom Queen were taking over the board.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2003, 05:36:22 AM »

Hey, Ben, a lot of us looked like that in the 1970s. Look at Victor Garber in the movie of GODSPELL.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2003, 05:38:36 AM »

Smaller versions of pictures mentioned above.

The 70s

Ben

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2003, 05:39:26 AM »

DangerMouse

Ben

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2003, 05:41:50 AM »

And, Finally, Carrie, eat your heart out.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2003, 06:37:57 AM »

I think we talked about this several months ago, but as much as I like Judy Kaye's Meg on that BRIGADOON CD, I still think Susan Johnson's performance on the old Columbia studio cast album was superior. Judy has the brogue, but Susan has more electricity in her voice, at least to me.

td

• td
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2003, 07:27:28 AM »

Good morning!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A very happy birthday to DR Mark!![/move]

Here I am at work, with nothing to do but post!  I'm not complaining.

DVD--Chicago.  Macbeth joked that it should have a sequel, since he thought either Roxie or Velma would end up killing the other after they joined up their acts--Chicago 2: Velma's Vendetta.

CD--Thoroughly Modern Millie OCR, Nine RCR

Cassette--nothing lately

Ben--those pics are so great.  I think you made an especially convincing Oscar the Grouch!  err...not that you're grouchy...you know what I meant! ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2003, 07:49:04 AM »

DR TD - thanks for the link to the JC review!  

DR MDS - a phonograph is something that you play records on.  I think that one day every home will have one, and in fact that records (like CD's, only bigger) will become biggers sellers.  You can have music on BOTH sides!  And there is plenty of room on the cover for photographs and notes in a size of type that can be read!

DR Ben - your pictures have made my day, and it is early.

I am hoping my issue of Scarlet Street arrives in the mail today.

And just because I haven't posted one in awhile - here is the Allison Hayes Photo of the Day.  With co-star Rod Cameron in a lovely Adele Palmer designed two-piece suit (banana yellow).  And, girls, THIS is the way wear a scarf!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2003, 07:49:22 AM »

Jennifer,

This is for you:

Many, many thanks.  That's all I needed to crack the mystery.   The page I was looking at didn't really  say how to do it  and I still had to figure out using the image button here to make it work.

I’m usually better at  figuring this kind of thing out on my own but I guess I've got to much other stuff going on right now.  

Sorry that your not feeling well.  You didn't get a flu shot by any chance?  I know I didn't feel to good after getting mine and my arm was sore for 2 days.

Glad to hear everyone had a safe and happy Halloween.  No pranks here either.

Just  the 3 little kids I told you about last night.  Sweet Tart, anyone?  Sucker?  Dubble Bubble?  Tootsie Roll?   Now and Later?  I've got LOTS of left over candy and what's listed is only part.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy B-day, Mr. Rothman!  Many more![/move]

I'm enjoying all the photos.  I like the artwork, BK.  Your den must be bigger than my whole house!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up