Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HARSH MISTRESS  (Read 26791 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE HARSH MISTRESS
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2003, 12:35:01 PM »

With co-star Rod Cameron in a lovely Adele Palmer designed two-piece suit (banana yellow).  

Jrand53, Rod must have had a time getting into that Adele Palmer design! LOL!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2003, 12:38:45 PM »

Hey everyone!

Just got back from running some errands.  NEVER step into a video store with a buy 2, get 1 free video sale.  It's just an invitation to spend money you don't need to spend.  But I did get some good finds...3 videos for about 12 dollars.  I bought the Kenneth Branagh musical version of Love Labour's Lost.  It's not that good really, but it's fun and it has Nathan Lane singing There's No Business Like Show Business so that makes it worth it for me.  I also bought Dancer in the Dark (depressing as hell but a great movie) and Waking Life, the animated philosophy-heavy Richard Linklater film that came out last year.  

Bounce just got panned in the Washington Post.  I saw it coming, but it still saddens me.  Le sigh.

George--You have the Pacific Overtures tape????  I envy you!!  :P

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Congrats to Swishy Sarah on her swishational new waitressing job!!!![/move]

Off to prepare for the birthday party I'm going to later!  Ciao!

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2003, 12:39:10 PM »

I am not familiar with a Harsh Mistress, but I have heard of The Untamed Mistress and The Mistress of the Apes!

Ben those are great costume shots!!

JRand53 I want to hear more about Koi...Mil Gaya!

In my DVD player...last night watched on DVDr the wonderful 1944 murder mystery MURDER IN THE MUSIC HALL starring Miss Vera Ralston, Miss Ann Rutherford, and Miss Julie Bishop

Started watching a 1968 Bollywood DVD titled ARDHANA starring the very handsome Rajesh Khanna.

CD Player...just received a CD of Robert Gorl. German singer who had some hits in the 80s. Very new wave. Also have been playing a CD of the Italian songstress Carla Boni (from the 1950s, I believe)

VCR...nuttin'

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2003, 12:46:54 PM »

Well any DR who is NOT a subscriber, should haunt the magazine racks for the latest issue of Scarlet Street!

There are photos from the Jeepers Creepers recording sessions.  DR Susan Gordon is featured as are Mr BK, and DRs Jose and Jason!  8)

Two interviews written by DR MBarnum:  Reg Lewis & Mark Forrest. ;D

DVD reviews by DR td, and an article on Buffy and Angel on DVD and Vincent Price recent DVD releases co-written with editor Richard Valley.   :D

A continuation of the interview with DR Charles Pogue! :-*

And a DVD review by ME! And CBIU!   :P

It's jus' so beeg!!!  (a TFNM reference)!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Go buy Scarlet Street....Go Buy Scarlet Street...GO BUY SCARLET STREET....[/move]

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2003, 12:52:08 PM »

Miss June Kenney waiting for me to telephone her for an interview...but I don't know where you are June!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2003, 12:52:30 PM »

Oh my, I guess I did mangle my syntax, DR Mbarnum.   :o  Miss Allison Hayes is wearing the Adele Palmer outfit.  Mr Cameron is wearing a suit with the widest lapels EVER from the Republic Costume Dept.

Koi....Gal Maya = You are not....Alone.  It's sort of a cross between ET and Son of Flubber!  With songs, and drama.  The space ship doesn't land until 1 hour and 9 minutes into the movie.  That's three songs and a basketball game.

I think a couple of the songs are on one of your compilation DVD's.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]buy Scarlet Street...buy Scarlet Street....buy Scarlet Street...[/move]

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2003, 12:54:03 PM »

For DR Emily: Well I hope BK was right and nobody booed you. The icons are very close together.  I really hope that even if someone doesn't like what another poster says, that they wouldn't take away karma points.

For BK, you wrote:
Jennifer: I don't see the problem you're talking about with the notes, and since no one else has mentioned it, I think we can assume it's your wacky computer.

It is not my computer :)

Really it's not. When you first posted the notes they were out of order. When I woke up this morning they were fixed. I assumed either, you or Mark or Craig fixed them. Maybe anyone else who was up at that time can confirm that I am not crazy!

For DR Danise: Were you trying to post a smiley or a picture? For some reason I only see a square red X in your posts.  If it is a smiley you were trying to post (which was your original question), you don't have to use any imaging on HHW. That clicksmilies site has the imaging already included.

Hmmm that hidden thingie sounds interesting. I will experiment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2003, 12:54:31 PM »

Maybe June is waiting for Bob Crewe to call, after all they had one date in 1962!

Buy Scarlet Street!

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2003, 12:56:05 PM »

Speaking of karma, I think mine has gone down too :(

I could swear I had seven!

Btw, DR  Danise: no I didn't get my flu shot. Usually we only get them here in November. I'm not sure if I will get one this year. I have the past two years. But I got sick many times last year. And yes it DID hurt after I got it last year. I was not feeling too great.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2003, 01:02:20 PM »

This movie you guys keep talking about!  I'm glad it's not called Kil Maya.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2003, 01:02:54 PM »

[hide]What does the hide button do anyhow if it doesn't seem to hide anything?[/hide]

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2003, 01:04:23 PM »

That's too funny. I click on "hide" and it bolds it :)

Thanks Maya.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2003, 01:07:53 PM »

What, ho!

Just got off the phone with Matt H -- lordy, lordy, we could talk for hours and never finish.

We had a fine discussion about hainsies and kimlets and giblets and whatnot!  

You all fared very well, so no worries there!  We might have had a chuckle or two over a picture or three, but we were never mean!

In my DVD player:  "Interview With the Vampire" (it was Halloween, dontchaknow)

In my CD player:  So very much, indeed...including "Jeepers Creepers", Brent Barrett's Kander & Ebb CD, "The Brothers Karamazov" and "Avenue Q."

In my VCR: A VHS tape with "Lost Roman Treasure" on it.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 01:08:34 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2003, 01:15:38 PM »

I didn't see any prob when I loaded the notes, and I would have heard from Mr. Mark if there'd been a problem.  I'm on my last tape, so I'll be leaving in fifteen minutes.  Yay.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2003, 01:16:10 PM »

Swishy Sarah asked if any adults wore anything yesterday:

a) I am not an adult
b) I wore mud.  Gobs and gobs of mud.  Just not intentionally.  More later.

CD appears to have Elton John Greatest Hits, Avenue Q and Our Wedding-The Musical, which will soon have 250 copies made.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2003, 01:27:48 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! HAPPY NATAL DAY, MARK ROTHMAN! ! ! [/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2003, 01:28:24 PM »

Happy Birthday Mark.
Thanks for the pictures Ben. Almost life size!
WFL: Are the delux edition Tomatoes larger and juicier.
DVD: "Ragtime"the concert.
CD: Anthony Warlow " "Face The Music"
Phonograph: Walter Brennan "Mama Sang A Song"

I shall be truant for most of the day. Birthdays, airports, and such things. (My sister MUCH OLDER is 60 tomorrow).
Hope everyone has a beautiful weekend.
Now to find my Judy Collins verison of "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2003, 01:34:43 PM »

Now to find my Judy Collins verison of "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"

Nothing against Judy, but, I prefer Linda Rondstadt's version. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2003, 01:39:41 PM »

Judy Collins always seems to me to be just a bit off pitch!

Maya my Papaya - I am sure your name is included in SOME Bollywood title, we just haven't found it yet.

Although Kil....Goy Maya would be an entirely different movie - one that would have to be directed by Sam Raimi.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2003, 01:47:29 PM »

Off to do some readings for some anxious people!  ::)

Hope all the news is good!

Send good vibrations this way.

Everyone have a great Saturday evening.  ;D

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2003, 02:15:05 PM »

LOL, Jrand!

Kil Goy Maya also sounds like it could be the next Tarantino film!

Good vibes to you!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Aren't they pretty vibes too?

Off to anoint myself for the party!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2003, 02:17:37 PM »

Ah, shucks, I can make them even prettier if I try!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Watch out Craig and Mark!  I may be the next big web designer, hehe!   :P

François

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2003, 02:37:15 PM »

Birthday wishes to DR Mark!

Quite a nice Ben festival of pics!

Thought the Dennis the Menace for yesterday's International Herald Tribune was very clever:

It had Mr Wilson closing his front door and saying to his wife, while holding  a bowl of candies:

" I give them candy and they go away!
If only it were that easy the rest of the year!"

François

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2003, 02:42:38 PM »

Oh! I forgot the topic du jour!

CD player:

Anthony Warlow's last oeuvre, FACE THE MUSIC, thanks to DR Tom.
THE PIRATE, Rhino release!
I HAD A BALL, OBC.
STEVE LAWRENCE Sings SINATRA.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2003, 02:51:58 PM »

Halloween was quite a day.
   I heard, about 9:20 in the morning, that there'd been a fire in the subway.  Leaving my apartment three hours later, I naturally assumed that mess would have been cleared up.
   It hadn't been.
   All sorts of people were waiting for buses, but Broadway looked prohibitively crowded.  My only hope was take the crosstown bus to Central Park West, where there's a completely different subway line than the one that was down.
   But that bus didn't seem to be coming.
   Then there appeared a brand new bus, one that runs on some cleaner-burning fuel.  I got on, and it was so crowded, I crouched over the driver, hoping to give him a view of the sidewalk.
   But what he was trying to get was a view of his rearview mirror.  A light was telling him the rear door wasn't closed, and the bus doesn't move until that light goes out.  He made an announcement that someone should pull the door closed.  But this didn't help.  He then asked me to close the door from the outside, but, when I got there, that door looked as closed as closed can be.
   Knowing that his bus was about to go out of service, I didn't get back on.
   Now to snag a cab.  It was quite a battle, as so many people were trying to get a cab.  The one I got the driver immediately said, nastily "I'm only going as far as 72nd Street and Broadway.  I'm taking medication and I need to eat NOW."
   "72nd and Broadway will be fine," I said cheerily.  I figured I could catch the 2 or the 3 train from there.  Two stops, and I'd be at Penn Station.  The driver flipped on the radio, and the news confirmed that the 2 and the 3 were once again running.  The hungry driver took Broadway, which was extremely crowded.  His lunch was not coming quickly.
At 72nd and Broadway, a transit worker blocked the door to the still-smoldering subway.  He suggested we walk two long blocks east to get the Central Park West train.
   I tried to hail a cab as I took this walk.  They're two rather long blocks, and there were no cabs to be had.  At least not until my driver had eaten his lunch.  So, I took the subway, which came pretty fast.  It was the Sixth Avenue subway, so I needed to switch to the Eighth Avenue subway at Columbus Circle.  That one was a long time coming.
   At Penn Station I ran through the crowds to find my train had already left.
   Now began a long process of trying to call the office of the theatre department.  All I had on me was an 800 number for the school's admissions office.  I asked for the office in many different ways, and many different operators were confused by my request.  What I wanted was the theatre department in Madison, but there's also one in Teaneck, and there's really something called a Visual and Performing Arts Department.  All my calls led me to answering machines.  I wondered if Halloween is some sort of a school holiday.  Nobody was answering the phone.
   My phone messages were clear: I'd missed my train, there'd be another one in an hour, tell my students I'd be late, and please try to call the student who'd be picking me up at the train.  But would these messages be received in time to matter?
   With no one to discuss it with, I had to make a decision: Do I take the hour-long train ride in hopes that there'd be a class waiting for me, or give up.  Well, I'm not a quitter, and I'm committed to that class, so off I went on the next train.
   For some reason the train stopped a little behind the station, so, when I got off the train, I wasn't landing on pavement, but rather those hillside pebbles that so often lead up to train tracks.  But I survived this "jump" - it wasn't as if the train was moving.
   My faithful courier wasn't there at the station, so I now set off on my walk to the theatre where my class is held.  All along, I've assumed that there's some shortcut one can take if one's on foot.  First, I made a diagonal across a big church lawn that a car couldn't do.  Soon, the road had no sidewalk, but I entered the campus next to a soccer field.  Now, I was pretty sure there were athletic fields near the building, but I couldn't see the building, so I went all the way around the field, just as a car would do.  All of this was eating up a lot of time, and I knew if I didn't hurry, my students would give up on me.
   So, after going through a tunnel, I made my most fatal error of all.  I decided to leave the road and cut across a grassless area where some construction steel had been dumped.  I figured if the dirt was strong enough to hold all that steel, it could hold me.
   Boy, was I wrong.  After a few wayward steps, I found my foot sinking deeper and deeper into the earth.  And when I pulled up my foot, my shoe was still deep underneath the ground.  "Help!" I yelled, but there was nobody within remote hearing distance.  Then I dug my hand a foot or two underground to retrieve my shoe.  My next step produced a similar amount of suction from the imploding mud, but I was able to extract my foot with the shoe still on it.  All along I've my canvas bag around my arm - the one containing my wife's computer.  It's an open bag, so nothing was protected from the element (mud).
   Now, looking like the creature from the muddy lagoon, I entered the building and went to the theatre office.  Nobody was there.  Someone's coat was on a chair, but nobody.  I left my shoes and bag outside the door, so as not to muddy the carpet.  I looked in the theatre; no one was there.  I headed for the bathroom.
   Washing my hands, it was clear that this mug was going to clog the drain.  I decided to retrieve the shoes and emerge them completely in hot water.  I had to keep cleaning the sinks with paper towels, because the mud was so thick.  I threw away my dress socks.  This was my first day of wearing socks, by the way.  I don't like to wear socks between St. Patrick's Day and Halloween.
   Once clean, I took another look in the theatre office.  It was still empty.  So I took a pad of paper and quickly scrawled the events of the day.  Then, walking in those very wet shoes, I again searched for a shortcut back to the train station.  I must have been out of my mind at that point, but I wanted to catch the next train back.  This would give me extra time to wash up before that night's activity: going to the opera.
   Yes, the opera tickets were my wedding present to my bride, and I was determined to avoid letting my misfortunes impact all the romance of a night at the opera.  Eventually I took that normal car route back to the train station, crossing the church parking lot.  There, two Little Leaguers were tossing a ball.  One looked me over and said "You work in construction?"  "Yep," I said, concentrating on the problem ahead.  Would the conductor let me on the train in this condition?
   I turned my muddy sweater inside-out and tied it around my waste, thus covering some of the mud on my pants.  I slipped on the train, and, at subsequent stops, the train got pretty crowded pretty fast.   People kept sitting next to me and then, thinking better of it, sat somewhere else.  God knows what I smelled like.  Eventually, it was so crowded, some poor soul stayed in the seat next to mine.  Laptop computer out (to mask the bottom of my pants), the ticket-taker didn't notice the mess I was.  On such a crowded train, he didn't have time to.
   The subway line I take to get home WAS working, but the original line that had the fire was still out.  As a result, the subway I was on was as crowded as I've ever seen a subway.  And I was the guy who was covered with mud.  Some others, at this point, were dressed in costumes, but they didn't smell so bad.
   I took a hot bath, and getting the mud out of my feet has taken a great deal of effort.  But we made it to the opera, and had a lovely time.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2003, 03:21:31 PM »

OMG, Noel, what a story! Halloween Hell

[hide]hide, damn you, hide[/hide]

We'll see if it worked (see above, if you see it, the button didn't work)

Had fun posting those pictures. I put them up and then went back in and re-sized them because they seemed to be taking over the board. Maybe that had caused Jennifer some visual problems.

What a beautiful day it was in NYC. Surprising for the first day of November.

I needs must get some dinner. Anthony is up in Monroe NY on a film shoot, a VERY LOW-LOW-LOW budget independent film. Maybe IFC will be interested. Something about a teenage vampire. I don't completely understand it all, but then, I don't think I'm supposed to understand it all. Dinner, whatever it is, awaits.

Ben

« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2003, 03:22:49 PM »

Nope, hide bolds, that's all. Bounce got bounced around a little in the Times today too. I'll have to go to the Post Web site and read the review.

François

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2003, 03:25:20 PM »

My godness, Noël! What an ordeal!
You should have a T shirt made with "I Survived Halloween 2003" printed on it!

Michael

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2003, 04:23:02 PM »

Mr. Lee Lessack does a wonderful A Moon Is Harsh Mistress on the above CD.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2003, 04:40:45 PM »

Well, the Washington Post on-line edition doesn't have a review for Bounce. I'll have to look elsewhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up