Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HARSH MISTRESS  (Read 26790 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE HARSH MISTRESS
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2003, 05:35:39 PM »

Picked up a slew of new DVDs, including the Bogie stuff - High Sierra, Dark Passage and To Have and Have Not, along with The Honeymooners box set, Broadway's Greatest Hits, Finding Nemo, etc.  Good watching tomorrow.

Here's some more art - this one of those amusing pin-up paintings from the 50s, by Slattery.

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2003, 06:16:31 PM »

Well, she is just about to lose her buns, isn't she!  :o
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 06:17:16 PM by MBarnum »

Danise

« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2003, 06:29:52 PM »

Scum, Jennifer, I thought I had it figured out.  Does anybody see the rose and the campfire besides me?  The rose is blooming and the camp fire is nice and cheery to my eyes!  Guess it’s back to the drawing board for me!  I wanted to do both smilies and pictures.  I do think I can get the smilies at least.

There was a slight change in my dinner plans.  When I drove over to get the pizza, I passed the Chinese restaurant and a little voice spoke up and said, “I want Moo Goo Gai Pan”.   So much for the pizza.  

JRand53, is that your Tarot deck?  It’s beautiful. Which one is it?   I have the Rider-Waite deck (who doesn’t), a French deck, the Cagliostro and the Medieval Scapini deck.

Noel, wow!  What a day.  Look at the bright side.  Some people pay BIG bucks for mud packs/baths–you got one for free!

Can you see that smile?  Please say that you can.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Thank you for the Karma!  I'm jumping with joy!  [/move]

I can't wait to be able to give as well as receive.

Have a good evening all!
D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2003, 06:37:35 PM »

Wow... there are a lot of tarot readers on this board.  

Danise - you have quite the collection!  

I use the Fergus Hall "Tarot of the Witches" which has a really cool neo-surrealist look to it.  The Major Arcana cards look ab fab, but the Minor Arcana aren't very well done.  Oh well.

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Laura II

« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2003, 06:39:59 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy birthday, DR Mark R!!![/move]

Sarah: Congrats on the new job! Sometimes during my break on Friday, I go to Ashburn Café for dinner. This Friday I'll be seeing Bounce, but perhaps I'll stop in the week after that. You know I love that place!  :) Also, glad to hear that the SATs were easy! I bet you did a great job!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Danise

« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2003, 06:51:40 PM »

I'm sorry, I  meant  to say Congrats to Sarah on the job.

Yes, I do have a few Tarot decks.  All gifts.  I used to do readings for people but I don't and will not anymore.  

I guess everyone wants to have their fortune told at sometime.  I had mine done at the Ren Fest a few years back–paid $20.00 for a 10 minute reading.  It was a real hoot.  Part hit close to home but the other part–well....  Let's just say it was verrry interesting and has about about a snowballs chance in Hades of coming true.   ::)

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2003, 07:36:14 PM »

Fortunetellers?  Oh I believe everything they tell me.  And so far, they have been almost totally accurate.  In fact, the only question I have now, is who is going to break the news to Brent Barrett that he is destined to be my soul mate for life?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Michael

« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2003, 08:05:00 PM »

Rather quiet tonight isn't it? Where is everyone?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2003, 08:24:57 PM »

As DR Ron reported earlier, we had a sparkling conversation early Saturday afternoon (my time; late morning for him), but it was interrupted because I had late afternoon guests who didn't leave until almost 9 p.m. We're all auditioning next month for a local production of SHE LOVES ME, and they wanted to see that 1979 BBC version I had on tape. They really weren't very familiar with the show. Imagine!  :)

After they left, I had a chance to crack open finally my INDIANA JONES box set and put in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Boy, is that a beautiful transfer or what? Crystal clear with deeply saturated colors and very sharp. My poor laserdisc won't get much play any more, I guess. Only got about an hour in, but I was impressed with this first film in the set. Plan to watch the others over the rest of the weekend.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2003, 08:30:44 PM »

MattH. - What role are you auditioning for in She Loves Me?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 08:31:24 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2003, 08:34:37 PM »

I was planning on staying home and taping (to CD) my two different albums of Candide, but I had to go to my sister's house and let the dog out.  She went with her boyfriend and daughter to the Simon & Garfunkel concert in Seattle...so, I went shopping.  I got a brand new reproduction of the original version of Monopoly.  It has the original kind of thick board and the original Chance and Community Chest illustrated cards (not used since 1935!) and the original tokens.  One of them is a purse!

I also got the "Special Collector's Edition" of Star Trek V:  The Final Frontier DVD and the Super Audio CD version of "Got Swing."  It's the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra conducted by Erich Kunzel with guests The Manhattan Transfer (love them!), John Pizzarelli (he's married to that lady who sings in the eBay commercial with Daniel Jenkins*) and Janis Siegel (love her, too).  I was looking for the regular CD anyway (and this can play in any CD player as well) and it cost the same price as the regular CD.  So, a good time was had by me.  I just hope I have enough money to get my car serviced.  The pin rods need to be replaced and I need a front end alignment.  Ugg.

*Yes, I know it's Jessica Molasky.  Love her!

<SNIP>
DVD: "Ragtime"the concert.
<SNIP>
Tom, is this an Australian released DVD or what?  What concert?  Where?  Is it available for purchase?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2003, 08:41:35 PM »

I was babysitting tonight. This subject was brought up a few weeks ago, but I must reiterate: Becoming drunk if the least attractive thing that a person could do to themselves. The couple left the house at 8, completely sober. They returned just short of three hours later, and were slurring, tripping, and disgusting drunks. While trying to put their twin 7 year olds to bed, they tripped over a gate, and almost landed on their daughter, making her cry, and making them burst into hysterical laughter. A few minutes later, the wife was "talking" to me (completely incomprehensible), when she suddenly spun around, bolted for the bathroom, and proceeded to vomit on the floor. (Oh, a Benjamin Kritzer reference!) I made sure the 2 year old got in his crib without trouble, asked to be paid, recieved $15 (As demanding as it sounds, that is not enough in my neighborhood), and walked out the door. I don't think they saw me leave. I called my dad and he came and picked me up.

WHY DO PEOPLE DRINK? I don't think I'll ever understand. I almost wish I could sneak back into their house and take their picture, just so I could have it to show them someday. "This is what you looked like at age 40 while responsible for three children. Admirable, eh?"

Thanks for all of the congratulations on the job! I'm really excited, it's a great place, the people are really nice and friendly, the food is deliiiiiiish, and I hear you get great tips!

On a completely nonrelated and random note, I can now take the wrapper off of a Starburst while it's in my mouth in under 40 seconds. Skills to be used later in life, I'm sure. What resume would be complete without it? Try it, it's almost impossible.

Where *IS* Den Mother Susan? I miss her.
...Walk in the sunshine...

François

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2003, 08:45:57 PM »

George,

Tom is not available for the rest of the day/night and I know he won't mind my answering your question... since I know the answer!

RAGTIME was done and broadcast on British TV near the end of last year with Philip Quast; one of our DR from England -- Allan where are you? --made and sent a copy to Tom, the Boy from Oz #1!

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2003, 08:46:56 PM »

DR TCB, I'm going for Sipos.

DR George, That Monopoly set sounds wonderful. When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time alone, and I was OK with it, but the thing I missed is that I had no one to play board games with, and I dearly loved them. Monopoly and Clue were always my favorites. (I also loved another Parker Brothers game called Careers, but I'm not sure it ever caught on very big. I don't think it's been made for many years.)  Kids today (or anyone who loves board games for that matter) who are alone can play these games if they have a computer, yet another reason to celebrate modern technology.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2003, 08:53:21 PM »

Oh, I meant to mention when an earlier poster was discussing the Warner Legends Collection DVD set (was it you, td or JRand. Sorry, I can't remember), and you mentioned never having seen THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE before. I was momentarily shocked that you hadn't seen such a classic until I realized I've never seen TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT (released this coming Tuesday as bk mentioned a few posts ago). Amazing isn't it how someone can go a number of years and not see films generally recognized as classics!

François

« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2003, 08:55:55 PM »

Why do people drink?

Ah Swishy Sarah, that is quite a question to which here are so many answers!

The same with "why do people take drugs?", "why do people like to get high",  "why do people go to extremes?"...

UNHAPPINESS might be one of the answers?!....

After reading your story, I feel concerned by the fact that the kids now are alone with two drunk parents; that's scary... and Halloween was last night!

François

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2003, 08:59:30 PM »

Oops!

I have been drinking tho: "here" should be "there"... "TO which THERE are so many answers"

We have a campaign in France that states: "Drink OR Drive; you'd better choose!"

François

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2003, 09:02:20 PM »

Oh my: I'm proving myself wrong! one of those nights!

I meant to say "I have'NT been drinking!"

Thank you for putting up with my mistakes! 6:00 am here, but it's no escuse!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2003, 09:04:02 PM »

...excuse* ;)
...Walk in the sunshine...

François

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2003, 09:06:10 PM »

Escuse??? -- that's cute; I like it! (There's nothing like SELF-satisfaction!).

Excuse!

td

• td
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2003, 09:10:07 PM »

Escuse??? -- that's cute; I like it! (There's nothing like SELF-satisfaction!).

Excuse!

Somebody has been at the cooking sherry again.   ::)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

François

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2003, 09:10:32 PM »

I guess I keep making mistakes because I hurt to still be considered a "newbie" after more than a year of posting here!

Newbie! What kind of a word is that anyway?

Is there a Newbie Doll?

Is Oldbie the opposite to Newbie?

So many questions, so few answers!

We won't drink to that, will we?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2003, 09:14:43 PM »

Dearest Sarah -- I wish I could say that taking that picture of the couple tonight would have done any good.  Unfortunately, until the day comes when they see that very same picture in their own minds, there is little chance that anything, or anyone, will change their lifestyle.

As a recovering alcoholic, sober now for over ten years, I can assure you that I was perfectly capable of seeing drunkenness in others, while blindly unaware that other people saw me in exactly that same way.

Hopefully, this couple will see their true reflection in their mind's eye, before they end up ruining their lives, as well as their children’s lives.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2003, 09:17:49 PM »

Cheer up, Francois, the time will come when you too will be a full member.
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2003, 09:22:12 PM »

Cheer up, Francois, the time will come when you too will be a full member.

I'd like to be a full member, too.  I think my chest is up to the task.

td

• td
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2003, 09:24:47 PM »

I guess I keep making mistakes because I hurt to still be considered a "newbie" after more than a year of posting here!

We won't drink to that, will we?

Mais, Fraincois, you do have a lot of KARMA!  ! !

I say, "Belly up to the bar, boys!"  
(Ah, a Meredith Willson reference!)

François

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2003, 09:35:31 PM »

TCB,

You're right... but I just feel like a... err.. limp member right now!

td!

"Fraincois"???? Are you getting even with me?
"member", "bar"... all that sounds so dirty to a pure French newbie like me!

Well, you see: the keyboard in France is slightly different from the US one; besides, the S key is above the X key, and my "propos" were not X rated, so I got confused!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2003, 09:44:57 PM »

François, if you make just ONE MORE POST, you'll be upgraded to "Jr. Memeber!"
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2003, 09:48:14 PM »

TCB,

You're right... but I just feel like a... err.. limp member right now!

td!

"Fraincois"???? Are you getting even with me?

Mr. Francois, you adorable critter, you. . .
Is getting even with you French lingo for going out on a date?  (Although, I'd rather go out on a limb, or a high note, dates are quite small. . .and as Indiana Jones said, "They're dates.  Ya eat 'em!"

td

• td
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2003, 09:50:52 PM »

Well, you see: the keyboard in France is slightly different from the US one; besides, the S key is above the X key, and my "propos" were not X rated, so I got confused!

Well, you're supposed to put your belly up to the bar, not your member!  Digits are alright. . .

Ah, blame it on the keyboard ( you could have blamed it on the bossa nova, or you could've put the blame on Mame), but are you sure you're letting you fingers do the walking? ? ? ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up