Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 25618 times)

Tomovoz

Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2003, 01:26:16 PM »

Wasn't "Rocking Through The Rye" a hit for Bill Haley in the middle 50's. The only other thing I know about Rye is the mention of it in "American Pie" (not the gross Teen movie, nor the Madonna version of Don McLean's wonderful song). OK. I live in my own little pop world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2003, 01:36:04 PM »

Maya, this is my first time posting a picture, so I hope it works!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2003, 01:50:13 PM »

You know after Carol Lawrence and Robert Goulet got divorced and became so bitter towards each other, I thought they would have been prefect to play the roles of Marco and Rosalie in CARNIVAL.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 01:50:54 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2003, 01:53:32 PM »

Congratulations, DR td, on attaining Full Member status. I'm sure you will feel the spurt of maturity that such status gives one.

You know, it's VERY rare nowadays (Kander and Ebb reference) for critics to give across-the-board raves for anything.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2003, 01:56:49 PM »

And Eydie suggested: "How about some asparagus for Britney Spears?"

"Only if I can find some arugula for Christina Aguilera," Carol warned.  

« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 01:58:00 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2003, 02:03:55 PM »

Re Bounce - the positive reviews are few, and Brantley's was predictable.  It's not positive for the show, but he, as always, refuses to place any blame at Mr. Sondheim's feet.  He worships at the alter, as it were.

Same with Mr. Kissel.  More telling is the audience reaction (despite the flag-wavers), and the out of town reviews.  One can set their clock by Brantley, Sondheim-wise.

Having only heard the workshop version I can tell you that if any songs from that version were retained it is not a good thing - it was really bad, almost as if someone were doing a not-very-good Sondheim parody.

td

• td
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2003, 02:05:45 PM »

LC, your picture worked perfectly!  Karmaliscious, baby!
Still, I prefer Neil - - -

Meanwhile,
"Carol, darling, I simply must have your recipe for matzohs, not to mention you flour.  Steve will be pleased to see such nice rounded matzohs like the ones you know how to make."
"Eydie, dahling, you're so full of b.s.!  what's the matter?  Web sales of GOLDEN RAINBOW not exactly what you thought they would be?  Can't afford to go out and buy your own cookbooks and pantry needs?"
"Ah, Carol, you know me too well.  Hey, there's an idea!  Why don't we get that gorgeous producer Bruce Kimmel to produce an album of you and i singing duets?  We could start with "I Know Him so Well" and move onto. . ."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2003, 02:08:59 PM »

You know after Carol Lawrence and Robert Goulet got divorced and became so bitter towards each other, I thought they would have been prefect to play the roles of Marco and Rosalie in CARNIVAL.

It still remains the only divorce case in the history of L.A. County in which the records are permanently sealed.  Which means, Dear Readers, that in spite of a Congressional act allowing us to see formerly sealed Kennedy Assassination reports, we still cannot know what exactly went on between Carol and Bob which caused that divorce to be sooo messsy.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2003, 02:37:34 PM »

Ron: It's fall break, AKA "The two days that the school system has to fill out report cards." In other words, our last two days of freedom before everyone gets grounded or yelled at. I don't have school today or tomorrow. But tomorrow I have to go to school anyway, because I have my All-District Chorus audition.

I'm afraid I'm going to ruin the story if I add to it! I have no story-writing skills. Essay writing, yes. Stories aren't my forte.

LC, he is one good looking writer. I am loving these hot guy pictures that you all so readily have stored on your computers. I'm going to have to look for one here and post.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2003, 02:42:54 PM »

I am totally digging these hottie pics!  

Swishy, he looks like Matt Damon!  It isn't Matt, is it?  Break a leg on your auditions tomorrow, btw!

LC--Alex, Neil, Alex, Neil....which one would I choose???  Hmmm...can I have both???  :D

Who would have thought the day would come when you can use book jackets as pin-ups, hehe?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2003, 02:53:21 PM »

Somewhat agape....a tad aghast....and impruriently agog!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2003, 02:54:25 PM »

And reticent.  Oh, yes! I'm reticent! (Ooh! A Eulalie McKecknie Shinn reference from "The Music Man")

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2003, 02:54:55 PM »

I'm thinkin' we might just make 100 posts.  However, we must double that in order to be too too.  Double, do you hear me?  Get crackin' that's what I'M talkin' about.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2003, 03:01:30 PM »

I stumbled onto this here site and it was full of Valley of the Dolls stuff, including clips.

Try this one out on Helen Lawson as portrayed by the late, GREAT Susan Hayward:

http://www.foxhome.com/valley/htmls/helen_qt.html

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2003, 03:02:47 PM »

OMG who is in that pic swishy posted? (sorry i haven't read the posts that carefully, i'm a bit out of it).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2003, 03:03:43 PM »

The story continues:

Meanwhile, in a galaxy far far way, two aliens were working out at the gym.  "I LOVE Moose Charlap - he wrote Whoop Up," sadi the first alien, whose name was Faboo.  The second alien, whose name was Divoon, looked at Faboo and said, "Oh, you're so West Hollywood."  Faboo looked at Divoon, who was wearing a tight glitter shirt and short shorts, and said, "Look who's talking.  I heard you singing those songs from Ari."

The two aliens went into the steam room to continue their discussion.

"I think we ought to do an all-alien version of Hello, Dolly!" said Faboo.

"I think you ought to shut your bleedin' pie hole," said Divoon.

"You watch your lizard tongue, or I'll sing the whole score from Pleasures and Palaces," said Faboo.

"Oh, Mary, you're so Nellie," said Divoon, paying a tribute to Mary Martin and her most famous role in the same sentence.

Just then, a third alien came in the steam room, sat down, and said

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2003, 03:07:24 PM »

Now that really is spooky Dr Ron. I was just discussing dolls with another DR via email. Ah! The games peope play. Just had to get in a Joe South reference as I think he wrote "Rose Garden". Yes he did. (thank you Mr Whitburn).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2003, 03:16:07 PM »

"Hi, guys! Guess what!  I just got cast as the lead in a NEW MilkyWay musical!"

Faboo and Divoon swooned!

Then the third alien, whose name was ToDieFor, rushed out to find others to tell his news to.

Meanwhile, Faboo lifted himself off his four butt cheeks and adjusted his towel.  "I just hate that ToDieFor...don't you?"

"Oh, I don't know," Divoon said dreamily. "He's pretty good looking!"

"Sure," Faboo spat out.  "He's okay if you like brown, green and purple eyes!  And don't get me started on his beak!"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 03:21:52 PM by Ron Pulliam »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2003, 03:23:55 PM »

Jennifer: That is our very own BK, of course! Can't you tell by the abs and buns of steel?

Actually, I haven't got a clue who that is. But I wish I did!

Maya: Thanks! I haven't been singing/straining too much, so my voice is in good shape. I'm not too worried about placement scores. As long as I get in, I'm happy.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2003, 03:34:38 PM »

I'm listening to Howard McGillin's CD "Where Time Stands Still" I found it this morning at Tower Records, it's REALLY good.  Just my 3 cents.  

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2003, 03:46:18 PM »

I was Googleheiming this afternoon and stumbled across an equity site where a clip from one of their events featues Peter Palmer...SINGING....

http://ibs.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm?int_news_id=3808

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2003, 04:44:52 PM »

Has anyone else had a prob accessing the site in the last hour?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2003, 04:46:37 PM »

I've been trying for the last half hour and couldn't get in until now.  I had my browser up all day but only checked back in recently.  Now it seems to be working!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2003, 04:51:19 PM »

I couldn't access it for an hour.  There must have been a problem but no one tells me anything.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2003, 04:56:37 PM »

I'm not sure how long it was, but I couldn't access HHW for a bit this afternoon.  

Michael

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2003, 05:02:05 PM »

The story continues:

Meanwhile, in a galaxy far far way, two aliens were working out at the gym.  "I LOVE Moose Charlap - he wrote Whoop Up," sadi the first alien, whose name was Faboo.  The second alien, whose name was Divoon, looked at Faboo and said, "Oh, you're so West Hollywood."  Faboo looked at Divoon, who was wearing a tight glitter shirt and short shorts, and said, "Look who's talking.  I heard you singing those songs from Ari."

The two aliens went into the steam room to continue their discussion.

"I think we ought to do an all-alien version of Hello, Dolly!" said Faboo.

"I think you ought to shut your bleedin' pie hole," said Divoon.

"You watch your lizard tongue, or I'll sing the whole score from Pleasures and Palaces," said Faboo.

"Oh, Mary, you're so Nellie," said Divoon, paying a tribute to Mary Martin and her most famous role in the same sentence.

Just then, a third alien came in the steam room, sat down, and said

"A musical about that Canadian Emily who want a story written today on that website?"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 05:02:45 PM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2003, 05:02:21 PM »

Well, clearly there was an hour between posts, from 3:46 to 4:46 or thereabouts - I do believe we wuz down, although no one has admitted that to me yet.  That said, at least whatever backup system is in place seems to have worked in a somewhat timely fashion (tank top and leather pants).

Now, where were we:

Faboo said, "Why haven't they ever unsealed them divorce papers between Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence?  They never did figure out that the two of THEM were aliens, did they?  I thought it was obvious, but them earth people are gullible."

Divoon took a deep breath of steam and sang Steam Heat.

Tomovoz

« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2003, 05:03:35 PM »

No access from Oz either. Maybe it was Matthew's 3 cent coin that caused the damage.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2003, 05:04:11 PM »

I believe the hosting site was down because www.brucekimmel.com was also down.
Never stop dreaming.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2003, 05:08:15 PM »

I have been having trouble viewing the user profiles, but the site is working fine for me.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up