Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK REPORT  (Read 13851 times)

Ben

Re:THE BOOK REPORT
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2005, 05:24:02 AM »

Michael Shayne wrote:

"that other used cd store whose name escapes me at the moment"

Academy on 18th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues in the middle of the block on the south side of the street between a pizza place and a strange chockee shop (I know it's spelled wrong, I just have no idea how to spell it, I'm Irish and English, all I can spell is Oy Vey) across the street from a high end paper supply store. You've been there so you know where you're going.

Also happy birthday to Barbara Deutsch!

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2005, 05:25:33 AM »

Good morning!

NYC plans:  Penny's show, of course, and the partay at JA afterwards - I'll be there.  My niece, Laura, might be, too, but I haven't heard from her in a while.  She and I both arrive at LGA about 5pm Friday and we'll rendezvous to taxi into the city.  Depending on the timing, we may head right to Drama Book Shop, but I doubt we'll be able to make it before bk's event finishes at 7pm.  Is there a dinner get together that evening, too, or are people planning to see shows that night?  

Laura and I will probably pal around during the day on Saturday, maybe see a matinee if there's anything good available at TKTS.  We're open to suggestions...

Sunday I have plans to have brunch with my Michigan friend Doug, who lives in the Lincoln Center area.  I'm planning to spend the day Sunday in the LC neighborhood and go to Alice Tully Hall at 5pm for the Illinois State Univ. Wind Symphony concert, conducted by Laura's partner, Steve.  I imagine there's some kind of reception after that, which takes care of Sunday evening.  Laura and I fly out of LGA Monday morning.

Oh, I can hardly wait!  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2005, 06:06:47 AM »

I really do love the Maguire Sisters. There is such emotion and ache in their voices that make their ballads really involving. Just adore their "Picnic."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2005, 06:07:52 AM »

I am on about an hour earlier than usual due to some errands I have to attend to this morning. Wanted to get my morning internet surfing done before I took off on adventures.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2005, 06:08:48 AM »

What publication date are you looking at for the book, bk? How long does the proofing and galleying usually take with your books?

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2005, 06:36:20 AM »

Bruce, Congratulations on the book-- how marvelous.

Treat Rodzinski to many Shakey's potatoes-- I hope they live up to the memory of them.

I now have a gaggle of posts to go back and read.
I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2005, 06:37:03 AM »

My own favorite is the Mamas and the Papas.

What? No Nylons? This after he had me buy tickets for a concert where the group was too cheap to hire a band!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2005, 06:40:18 AM »

A puzzlement from yesterday:

Pogue posted :

I also met her two half-sisters...

Was the creation of half sisters the result of an "unfortunate event" at a magician's show?

der Brucer (at least I didn't ponder "which half"!)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2005, 07:06:41 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Barbara Deutsch!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm here!  I'm here!  I did not get frozen to the sidewalks of New York yesterday.  ;)

I still have to catch up on the Notes and Posts from the past 48 hours or so.  Just no convenient way for me to get online - well stay online - right now.  But that will change tomorrow.  :)

So...

More auditions today.  We'll be at Chelsea Studios, so I'm gonna head in a few hours early - we don't start until 2:30 - and do some more exploring, and settle into a Starbucks for a while and take advantage of their "hot spot" to take care of some internet browsing.  Until then...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2005, 07:24:48 AM »

Ah DRJOSE will be one of those Manhattan Wireless Internet Squatters that have been so in the news lately!

You are once again in the vanguard and in with the in crowd, DRJOSE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2005, 07:27:04 AM »

DR JRand54, TAR was very good last night...the two blonde friends were eliminated (can't think of their names)...they and the two brothers were neck and neck at the end...sadly they four of them had become good friends during this episode...so although the brothers weren't eliminated, they were sad that the girls got booted off.

I must say that this time around I am liking all of the teams! But Meredith and Gretchen are my faves!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2005, 07:35:36 AM »

DR JRand54, TAR was very good last night...the two blonde friends were eliminated (can't think of their names)...they and the two brothers were neck and neck at the end...sadly they four of them had become good friends during this episode...so although the brothers weren't eliminated, they were sad that the girls got booted off.

I must say that this time around I am liking all of the teams! But Meredith and Gretchen are my faves!

I am all for the mother/son team.  Patrick seems so gosh-darn endearingly sweet.  And she seems pretty earnest as well.

I LOATHE Rob and Amber.  I have always loathed him, from his Survivor appearances, and she seems even more acutely vapid and servile than she has in the past.  As someone said during last night's episode, directed to Rob's face, he's "lucky they don't vote out people on this show."

But aside from those two, all the remaining teams seems to have more personality, or at least are different enough from each other, which was hardly the case with TAR the last time.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2005, 07:36:57 AM »

I just realized, DR MBarnum, that you might want to insert a spoiler alert into your post.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2005, 07:39:00 AM »

Oh, and congrats on finishing the tome, BK!  (Been meaning to say that since yesterday afternoon!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2005, 08:28:46 AM »

Maybe I will get something in the mail today.

DRMBARNUM there is package on the way to Chez Barnum as we speak.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2005, 08:30:15 AM »

Well my first question for ASK BK day will be concerning the latest tome - and will be asked with perspicacity:

What is the time frame and setting for this new book.  Is it contemporary?  Is it set in the recent past?  Where is it geographically?

Originally, I did NOT want to write a book that takes place now, but that's what I did, although there are several times when the seventies are invoked.  Geographically the book takes place in several cities - LA, NY, Florida, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2005, 08:35:09 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm getting quite excited about our March 19 Penny O event, and I have a question for everyone coming into New York that weekend?  What are your plans beyond the show and the BIG PARTAY.  We need to get an estimate as well on how many are showing up to make a reservation for Joe Allen's.

Dear Friend BK, I can't believe you've finished that book!  Congratulations, Speedy. How many days are you going to be in New York?  Right now I'm listening to Mr Haines and Miss Egan singing "Two Lost Souls."

I'm coming in on the 17th.  The big partay can only be after PennyO's show if I'm to be there (or, of course, on Friday night after the signing, which ends at seven).  Friday would give us the most time.  Although I don't think PennyO's show is THAT long.  The prob with Saturday night is where - I don't know that Joe Allen's will give us a table for that many on a Saturday, but if they would that's my vote.  It's probably not that many anyway, in the scheme of things.

I leave Sunday morning, so hopefully we'll have had our get together prior to that.  If not, whoever wants to get together on Friday night and then Saturday after the show - I'm available.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2005, 08:37:30 AM »

Errands are finished and now am back at home.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2005, 08:39:48 AM »

Vocal groups:  well, close harmony is a fave of mine.  Funny, but I would never think of the Mamas & Papas as a close harmony group.  But, be that as it may, if you like the McGuire Sisters, you should hie yourself to Tower or some other place that handles imports and get as many CDs by Quarteto em Cy as you possibly can.  These four sisters from Brasil (though some of the sisters dropped out--and back in--over their 40 year recording career) do some of the most impossibly beautiful close harmony you will ever hear.  And in the shameless self-promotion department, I must say that my own group Aqabala is one of my faves, especially the song that was featured in Jazziz magazine a few years ago, Wasn't It Spring Yesterday? (Mizmor L'Shekinah), which includes close harmony in Hebrew no less.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 09:39:07 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2005, 08:40:27 AM »

What publication date are you looking at for the book, bk? How long does the proofing and galleying usually take with your books?

Not quite sure about the above.  It depends on which route I go.  If I go the route I've gone, then later in the year.  If it's another route, could be later than that.  I usually spend two or three months editing and proofing, although it took longer last year because I got involved in What If.  I remember finishing Writer Block mid-April and we got it out end of October/early November if I remember correctly.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2005, 08:40:57 AM »

There was a letter to Matt Roush at TV GUIDE this week objecting to the gay male couple on THE AMAZING RACE this season. The mother objected on the grounds that TAR was a "family show" and that she would have no explanation for her 10 year old son about how two men can be "boy friends." Thus, she was not going to watch the show any more this season.

Thankfully, Matt put her in her place fully and distinctly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2005, 08:41:12 AM »

I guess it's AOL's new West Coast routine that they are completely retarded in the morning and won't allow Internet access.  I'm obviously having no trouble with Safari.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2005, 08:42:39 AM »

Oh, and I was awakened at eight-fifteen by the phone - it was the publisher asking if I'd like to do the LA Times Festival of Books at UCLA.  I asked for all the pertinent details.

JMK

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2005, 08:50:13 AM »

I guess it's AOL's new West Coast routine that they are completely retarded in the morning and won't allow Internet access.  I'm obviously having no trouble with Safari.

I think it must be an LA thing, since I'm more or less on the west coast and everything is, again uncharacteristically for AOL, fine up here.  Have you tried changing your access numbers?  I find when I'm having AOL problems (which is about every other day), changing access numbers helps.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2005, 08:55:39 AM »

And as for male Brasilian close harmony groups, check out the MPB-4.  In fact, the MPB-4 recorded several fantastic albums with Quarteto em Cy.  Harmony much closer than this would be unison!

Q:  What do you call a song with all parallel minor seconds?
A:  Two guitarists playing in unison.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:56:10 AM by JMK »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2005, 08:56:41 AM »

A puzzlement from yesterday:

Pogue posted :Was the creation of half sisters the result of an "unfortunate event" at a magician's show?

der Brucer (at least I didn't ponder "which half"!)

Surely, the two halves equalled a whole?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2005, 08:58:56 AM »

It was a warm, muggy night, and the auditorium's air-conditioning was not equal to the task of dealing with sweaty throngs filling the room to its perspicacity!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 10:03:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2005, 09:00:21 AM »

TOP 10 DOG PEEVES  ABOUT HUMANS

1.   Blaming your farts on me...  not funny...  not funny at  all!

2.   Yelling at me for barking ...  I'M A FRIGGIN'  DOG!

3.  Taking me for a walk,  then not letting me check stuff out.  Exactly whose walk is this  anyway?

4.  Any trick that involves  balancing food on my nose ... stop  it!

5.  Any haircut that  involves bows or ribbons.  Now you know why we chew your stuff up  when you're not  home.

6.  The slight of hand, fake  fetch throw.  You fooled a dog!  Whoooo  Hoooooooo -- what  a proud moment for the top of the food  chain.

7.  Taking me to the vet for  the "big snip", then acting surprised when I freak out every time we  go  back!

8.  Getting upset when I  sniff the crotches of your guests.  Sorry, but I haven't quite  mastered that handshake thing  yet.

9.  Dog sweaters.   Hello?  Haven't you noticed the  fur?

10.  How you act disgusted  when I lick myself.  Look, we both know the truth, you're just  jealous.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2005, 09:03:12 AM »

Of course, AOL is working flawlessly from this East Coast venue. I couldn't be on-line if it wasn't!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up