Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK REPORT  (Read 13853 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BOOK REPORT
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2005, 09:10:30 AM »

I'm on now via AOL - the only time it seems to be a problem is the last couple of mornings.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2005, 09:10:59 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page three!

That calls for a PERSPICACITY!

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2005, 09:12:49 AM »

Well I am a happy shopper.  Went to the fruit & vegetable store and managed to get a big bucket of yellow beans for $2, and 3 huge turnips for 79 cents for all of them. Yeah.  Then I went to buy my niece an easter polly pocket set that was on sale.  Well they forgot to fix the price and it scanned at $8.99 instead of the $5.99 sale. So I got it for free. Yeah!

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2005, 09:13:43 AM »

Oh boy it is cold here.  - 31C with windchill.  It has not been cold like this in a long while.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2005, 09:15:15 AM »

Congratulations on your successful shopping, DRJENNIFER!  I also went to the grocery store this morning....well I took my mother unit....no real bargains, but lots of cans and bottles.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2005, 09:24:11 AM »

I am all for the mother/son team.  Patrick seems so gosh-darn endearingly sweet.  And she seems pretty earnest as well.

I LOATHE Rob and Amber.  I have always loathed him, from his Survivor appearances, and she seems even more acutely vapid and servile than she has in the past.  As someone said during last night's episode, directed to Rob's face, he's "lucky they don't vote out people on this show."

But aside from those two, all the remaining teams seems to have more personality, or at least are different enough from each other, which was hardly the case with TAR the last time.

It's funny but I disagree with you 100%.

I love Rob and Amber (especially Rob).  I loved him on Survivor.  And I love how he is using a Survivor mentality to play this game. He is pure genius.  He might not seem that bright.  But paying the bus driver not to open the back door paid off big time.  And using his construction background to fit all the books in one trip was fantastic.  HE is turning out to be a fantastic TAR player.

It's funny because I was not sure how most people would react to ROMBER on TAR.  I loved him from before, so I knew I would cheer them on.  But I know many others who didn't care for them too much before.  But almost all of them seem to really like them on TAR (they might not want them to win, but they find them entertaining and amusing).

I personally think it's hilarious how the whole show seems to revolve around them.

Btw, I really dislike the mother/son team.  And I also don't care for the nice grandparents. I mean they are sweet and all that.   But I want to see teams who can win (and they clearly have little chance).

I was not happy how the 2 women (who came in first last time) tried to sabotage the Iraq/Beauty queen team last week.  But I was impressed with their skills. And I would really like an all women team to do well.

Not too crazy about the gay team or the black couple or the deanna & hubby team who came in 3rd i think.  But I do think the brother/friend team who came in last has some potential.

It was something seeing another race to the finish. Usually they manipulate the airtime to make it seem like they are in tight race. But so far in the past 2 shows, the teams have arrived at the same time.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2005, 09:27:20 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol.

Nobody really did it for me last night. Although I like Nadia and Amanda and Carrie a lot.

I think Janay is gone, with either vonzell or lindsey.

And for the guys Travis is gone, with either scott or nikko.

Re: DR MattH's comment about Paula asking Janay's fans to vote for her.  I think Paula just felt bad for the girl.  And she just wanted to be supportive. Although I agree, it was a bit much.  It's bad enough the judges are so vocal about their favorites.  But to encourage us to vote for people who should be gone, is too much.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2005, 09:32:43 AM »

BK congrats on finishing your book.

And wow, a live performance of the songs from Bus & Truck sounds fantastic.  I hope we will get a full report.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2005, 10:16:02 AM »

DRMBARNUM there is package on the way to Chez Barnum as we speak.

Woohoo!

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2005, 10:17:08 AM »

I just realized, DR MBarnum, that you might want to insert a spoiler alert into your post.

Woops, you are right.

I am usually the only one who watches it the following day, so I didn't even think of it. I shall add that, however.

My bad.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2005, 10:50:46 AM »

Question for the day, for one and all:

What is your favorite close-harmony vocal group?

It is and always will be:
THE MANHATTAN TRANSFER!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2005, 11:12:55 AM »

And the Roches
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 11:15:03 AM by JRand54 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2005, 11:24:38 AM »

What? No Nylons? This after he had me buy tickets for a concert where the group was too cheap to hire a band!

der Brucer
Uh, I wasn't the one who bought the CD by N'Sync.

(By the way, we're referring to the Nylons circa their recording of "Happy Together."  Two members of the group passed away shortly after that, and the replacement members have been good, but not quite as.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »

There's also The Flirtations.  They were quite good...even featured in brief scene in the movie "Philadelphia" with Tom Hanks. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2005, 11:29:28 AM »

Does anyone familiar with Los Angeles know which large hospital would be closest to Sunset Blvd near the Mt. Olympus area?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2005, 11:43:58 AM »

DR MattH:  I was reading the last two pages of last night's posts, and saw your comment/question about Peter Brown.

Yes, Brown played the deputy on "The Lawman" which starred John Russell.

There are occasional listings at EBay under both names for signed photos.  I have one of Brown in a "draw, pardner"-type pose!  Great stuff!  I've found loads of good photos/autographs of my childhood heroes from TV westerns at eBay.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2005, 11:51:42 AM »

If I am not mistaken Peter Brown has his own website..he also appears at the Ray Courts Show in Burbank from time to time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2005, 12:15:57 PM »

The only large hospital near that area is Cedars-Sanai on Beverly Blvd. near La Cienega.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2005, 12:25:20 PM »

Here's another question for all and sundry:

What tools do you use for purposes other than what they were intended?

I've just come across an article from the Washington Post, dated March 2nd, on Hardware That Cooks.  Among the tools that are mentioned as being used in professional kitchens are needle-nose pliers, spray-paint tools, propane torches, dental floss.  (This should grab George's attention.)

Me, I've been using chop sticks a lot lately in my kitchen, not for eating but for turning over bacon on the griddle, moving foods around in a pan, that sort of thing.  They're just easier for me to grab and grab with.

But I'm sure we all use tools for "strange" purposes other than in the kitchen, and I'm curious as to what they might be.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2005, 12:44:38 PM »

thank you BK.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2005, 12:51:47 PM »

Have not heard a peeparooni from Rodzinski.  If he doesn't call in the next fifteen minutes, he will not be able to have his broasted potatoes at Shakey's - they only serve them during the buffet lunch and that only goes until two o'clock.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2005, 12:54:08 PM »

DR SWW, last night I used my kitchen tongs (like the ones to take out ice) as a strawberry utensil (to take the backs off).  I couldn't find my little strawberry de-backer (which i love). And it worked perfectly! (same idea just much bigger).

Btw, last night i made the most disgusting dinner ever. It was tuna casserole with low carb (carb option) noodles. They were so gross. I really should have tried them before mixing them with the other stuff. :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »

Calling Rodzinski....calling Rodzinski......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2005, 12:54:50 PM »

I do not use any tools.  I am not allowed to use tools since the C-Clamp incident.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2005, 01:06:47 PM »

It's entirely due to Paula that we had the abysmal Leah Labelle last year in the finals. (Paula put her through as her own choice after the wild card round was complete.) I don't know why Paula feels such sympathy for no talent ladies, but that's two years in a row that she's shown such feelings.

Look, I'm not rooting for anyone to do a bad job on the show, but when a performer has given THREE bad performances in a row on the live shows, it's time to face the music and call a spade a spade. Asking her fans to vote for her is NOT in her best interests. Why put her in the finals when she has NO chance of winning the title? It's just beyond my comprehension.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2005, 01:10:04 PM »

It is very clear that Paramount didn't put a lot of time or effort into putting GREASE 2 on DVD. I admit it's not a classic, but there are lots of films from 1982 (and earlier) that look a whole lot better on DVD than GREASE 2 does. I think they must have used a videotape master for this DVD transfer and not bothered remastering it for DVD. At least they did give us a Dolby 5.1 soundtrack.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2005, 01:26:09 PM »

Here's another question for all and sundry:

What tools do you use for purposes other than what they were intended?

Me, I've been using chop sticks a lot lately in my kitchen, not for eating but for turning over bacon on the griddle, moving foods around in a pan, that sort of thing.  They're just easier for me to grab and grab with.

Yep...you and a billion Chinese, give or take a quarter-billion.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2005, 01:34:30 PM »

When I was younger, Grease 2 was indeed a guilty pleasure of mine.  Last Christmas break, my good friend Tiana and I decided to watch it one day, as it had also been a guilty pleasure of hers...afterwards we turned to each other and said, almost in unison "What were we thinking??"  
I admit some of the songs are still catchy, but still...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2005, 01:35:58 PM »

Can't believe I'm about to contribute to the American Idol stuff...but...I turned on the TV in time to catch the last performer, at least I think she was the last...the girl who sang Somewhere from WSS.  I listened for as long as I could stand, then I had to change the channel, so I'm not sure what the judges said about her...but yikes!!  She just butchered that song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2005, 01:43:49 PM »

Harmony: The McCook Trio: Barbara, Boreala & Leona
                  Wonderful version of "When I See An Elephant FLy"

McGuire Sisters.  Even Sugartime Twist!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up