Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES  (Read 3643 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2019, 07:45:03 PM »

We don't need no stinking page three.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »

And lo and behold - page four.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2019, 07:45:23 PM »

Page four?  Really?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »

Happy birthday to Laura’s lovely grandson
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »

Welcome home from Disneyland
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:18:05 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2019, 09:23:26 PM »

Birthday wishes to Laura's grandson!

FJL

« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2019, 09:38:20 PM »

There were only four best musical nominees - Quilters, Grind, Leader of the Pack, and the winner, Big River.  For the first time in Tony history, three major categories had NO nominees and no awards were given - best actor and actress in a musical, and best choreography.     

Ellen Fitzhugh (who had worked with Skip on "Herringbone") did "Grind" with Larry Grossman and Hal Prince, and there were stories that when Ben Vereen joined the cast, his part grew not for any plot reason but because the audience expected more onstage time with him.   There was a situation where the actors just  decided they didn't want to do a number meant to be a spoof of racism called "We All George" but the actors didn't want to do it  - and the number ended up not being done.  It  seems like  the type of thing (from the way it was described at a reading when the show was done at the York) that these days would have been figured out in the workshop process.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2019, 09:52:38 PM »

"Leader of the Pack"  ran a while, but the review(s) found it too raunchy, while there's no things as too raunchy these days as long as it's funny enough to justify it.    When they tried to bring it back for a tour years later in 2001, jukebox as a genre  wasn't big yet, but "Mamma Mia"  was IIRC just a few months away.  I'm surprised it hasn't lt been tried again.  (or maybe it has)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »

Listening to music.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2019, 09:57:20 PM »

Are you?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2019, 09:57:25 PM »

I am.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »

Page four?  Really?

FJL

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:20 PM »

At one point here, which is adapted for TV around 3:30, Patrick Cassidy seems to be (ahem) making love to the entire audience.  Then, at the bow, you can see him turn back to the nice wholesome guy Patrick Cassidy apparently really is.

Tonys segment - "Leader of the Pack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJgpoqhUq0

It was great fun meeting him when taking a toad trip to see "Music Man" in Hartford with Elmore, who IIRC got a huge hug from him.  I think he had gotten Elmore his house seats, but Elmore knew a lotto people in that cast, including Mary Stout, Jason Graae, and Ric Ryder from my building. 

FJL

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »

I'll stay quiet on "Big River" - with brought Jack Viertel to Broadway,

FJL

« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2019, 10:15:23 PM »

then Tom Viertel whose dream as brothers (with Rocco Landesman) ssemed in looking back to be to bring Broadway premium pricing like the concert world had,

FJL

« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2019, 10:15:43 PM »

and bring Broadway the profits over people thing it has become.

FJL

« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »

Where once there had been plenty of female directors and black directors, and black songwriters on broadway used ti be pretty nicely represented, by the 21st century,  it got made over in their image. 

FJL

« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »

Anyone who sought to assert human rights laws in the Viertel world 1990s on got lawyered out of existence and never worked in commercial theater again, though Jack claimed(and still does to this day) never to ever be involved in any controversial decision, but where someone asserting human rights can be found, a Viertel's always there like Zelig or Forrest Gump, presumably paid a fortune to do nothing if you believe him.

FJL

« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2019, 10:21:21 PM »

- Otis Sallid on "Smokey Joe," rumors spread that he was taking drugs, but it came out they wanted Jerry Zaks all along, so look who was there to take over once Otis sallied got the show win its feet in Chicago!

FJL

« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2019, 10:23:51 PM »

Conne Grappo on 'Little Shop,"  where they could only het the rights from the Ashman estate by using her, so they did in Florida - and then replaced her with Jerry.  She could not bring action and they knew it because it would hurt her husband Lee Wilkof's career - so she just left directing completely.  Then it was in the Times one of the producers let it slip to the reporter that they'd wanted Jerry all along.

FJL

« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2019, 10:27:11 PM »

Joel Vig a "Hairspray" actor who dared fight them when they screwed him over after an onstage accident (It looks like they spent close to $400,000 in lawyer costs - one assumes from investor money - to avoid paying him  a $100,000 settlement-  one assumes to send a message),  but far away from the message of the show of course.  When they locked the actor out of the theater, they sent a female producer Laura Green to talk to him, so that when he got upset, the optics were that the poor actor looked like he was bullying the rich female producer!  He also never worked in commercial NY theater again.

FJL

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2019, 10:34:59 PM »

Scott Richards (son of great director Lloyd Richards) the black composer-lyricist  of "Christmas Story" on several road stops got really reviews, but replaced by Pasek and Paul because Scott  found "Fa ra ra ra" in the Chinese restaurant scene offensive but the white Pasek and Paul found it offensive but could live with it and gave no problems like racial sensitivity that the black songwriter argued for. 

One where Jack was very prominently a consultant and well-paid, but claims not to be part of this (but he always says that) - but it's pure Vierte; all the way and of course Jack went on to guide Pasek and Paul's career along with "Evan Hansen" producer Stacey Mindich who is the head of the Board at the Scofflaw City Center- and Broadway has had only one, musical by black songwriters in this whole century - though a huge hit done twice,  "Color Purple"

FJL

« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2019, 10:42:02 PM »

Then, to top it all off with a cherry, when "Smokey Joe" was revived in 2018, the two white co-creators somehow managed to leave off the name of the black co-creator Otis Sallid.

A pattern emerges, which happened to me.  Jack had no problem being a friend and dealing with me in any way, but when I had a human rights issue involving Encores' videographer, a day later, suddenly I was making it up and he couldn't deal with me after 22 years of doing so with no problem!  _ suddenly, a 40-second phone conversation with his wife Linda he lied left Linda  feeling "harassed and threatened" and needed a police threat written to Skip. and he recommended to Skip that I get immediate treatment for paranoia, against my will, (he's a "show doctor" after all - since I was picking on their poor cyberstalklng videographer.  He keeps saying he can't talk to me though he had no trouble for 22 years, and won't talk to my attorney either.  And his lawyer retaliates viciously every time a human rights matter is filed.   

The worst and most evil was that somehow they planted in a narrative by Julie Miller (best known for coining "My dead aunt thanks you") a scary  act of dangerous physical  violence that my brother actually did when my nephew as a teen mad hum angry (picking up a chair from the dining table and in anger throwing it quite a distance)  and incredibly having Julie Miller (then co-writing Viva Max with me) claiming in an April 2018 legalese  narrative this was something I did over a script disagreement back in summer 2011 -  having  her cause so much fraudulent havoc, and out of nowhere claim fear of me in April 2018 just after the project had a very successful reading and was starting to gain traction.   

But this made no sense, as it meant our other female collaborator in 2011  Amanda Yesnowirz would have had to sit there and yawn and say "ho hum" while this supposedly would have been happening, and for years and years after that, Julie never had any problem trying in many emails to initiate meetings with just me and her, traveling with no one else we knew.

And let's not  discuss in too much disgusting detail the way Jack picked on that female critic when she dared not to give Rocco's book adaptation of "Big River" in 2017 a move-the-show review because Rocco had screwed pop the balance of the character Jim, and Jack accused her of dissing Mark Twain for not liking not the musical, but Rocco;s adaptation if the musical and tried ti get her fired from the Times.  When that failed, they picked on that same female critic  again over a review of a "Smokey Joe" revival.  the female critic has two bad marks un her career, both jack Viertel shows!  (must be a coincidence)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:23:57 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2019, 10:45:47 PM »

I thought I could gets to page 5, but I guess not.  :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2019, 11:06:51 PM »

Hi, Fred. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2019, 11:07:13 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Positive Vibes for all DR's friends and families in need of them!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ditto!

DITTO!

~~~DITTO, THREE!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2019, 11:07:55 PM »

Oh dear....the Hard Rock Hotel being built in New Orleans collapsed as they tried to install the air conditioning units.....

https://abcnews.go.com/US/person-killed-18-hospital-crane-collapses-hard-rock/story?id=66232002

Oh, my goodness! :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2019, 11:08:11 PM »

Where in tarnation IS page five?

George

« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2019, 11:08:17 PM »

What a nice surprise that DR Chas' original emcee was able to be back on stage! A lovely ending to a terrible incident.

Agreed!  Congrats to the original emcee!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »

I gotta tell you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up