Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ON THE TOWN  (Read 14967 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ON THE TOWN
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been on the town with the notes, the notes have been on the town with you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home.  The cows, coincidentally, are on the town, too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 10:37:46 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ON THE TOWN
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 10:07:40 PM »

And the word of the day is: OMELET!

I must toddle off to bed to get two or three hours of beauty rest.  At the crack of dawn I shall be on my way to the airport environment.  I'll see if I can get online there - if not, I'll be back on when I'm back in the City of Studio.

François de Paris

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 10:24:19 PM »

I knew PennyO would be good in "Woolf" but I had no idea Jose was playing opposite her!

Wait! I don't think I got that right!

François de Paris

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 10:31:25 PM »

Madeleine Robinson

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mb46/fdaf/images/robinson_m.jpg

who passed away a few months ago, was the original "Woolf" in the French adaptation of the play.
She was a terrific actress.
During the run of Woolf, she identified so much with the character that she could not stand her co-star, Raymond Gérôme, who, incidently, is the French speaking and singing voice for Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady.
The fighting scenes, I heard, turned for real more than once!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 10:32:29 PM by François de Paris »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 10:33:32 PM »

Oh my God!  Thanks to the wonders of Eastern Standard Time, I'm the fourth post!

First, I want to thank every wonderful DR who made the trek to Manhattan this weekend.  I've met some wonderful folk on this site who have turned out to be extraordinariiy marvelous in person in the past year.  This has proven true of the new friends I met this weekend, and I hope to meet more of you before too long.  I only wish more of you had been able to come in.  

DRPennyO provided herself with a lovely presentation that shows her off quite marvelously: I laughed, I cried, I applauded, I cheered.  

DRPogue, I love THE LONG HOT SUMMER, and I wish the glorious Lee Remick had lived longer.  Her beauty, like Audrey Hepburn's, always takes me by surprise each time I see her in something.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 10:34:02 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 11:18:40 PM »

Good Morning!

What a wonderful evening!  And, yes, there were pictures taken too!  We'll just have to wait for the various DRs who had digital cameras with them to post them once they're back in their home environments.

It was a true pleasure meeting and re-meeting many DRs and their friends.

After leaving Angus McIndoe, I headed over to some bar on 10th Ave. with DR Rodzinski and his girlfriend for a little bit.  Neat place - called Rufus I believe.  We had gone there since one of DR Rodzinski's friends was "spinning platters" tonight, but, of course, as soon as we got there, he was done and was getting ready to head out.  Ah, well.  So the three us enjoyed an adult beverage, and chatted.  Then we shared a cab back up to Canada/Siberia/Washington Heights.

And now I'm here.  And I have a matinee in less than 12 hours...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 11:20:55 PM »

DR vixmom - I hope you and your hubby had a very safe and uneventful drive back home tonight.  The next time I'm up here for more than a few days, we'll have to get together again.  -Have I told you that I have some connections with "American Girl Place" yet?  -Or is that something you'd rather not know about.

;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 11:22:30 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 11:23:32 PM »

Hmmm... I just had to go back and correct that post four times...  Matinee in 11 and a half hours...

-I had typed "Armenian Girl Place"... among other typos.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 11:26:03 PM »

DR Ginny and friend - Hope you find your Kite Cookie Cutter tomorrow.  If not, I'm planning on making a run to Bridge Kitchenware this week - or at least the cook's supply place in Chelsea Market.  I'll keep my eyes out, and send you one if your search comes up empty.

Enjoy the concert too!  -I may run over to Lincoln Center myself after the matinee to catch the last half of the Metropolitan Opera Council Finals, so I'll look for you on the Plaza.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 11:26:52 PM »

DR WFO and his ever lovin' Joe - Hope your trip back "up" to your room was expedient.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 11:28:06 PM »

DR Danise - Yeah!  It works!  Your Wi-Fi card works!!  Maybe it just needed to be primed in NYC before it can work down in Florida.  ;)

I have no plans for Monday yet, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 11:34:48 PM »

Great scott! What an evening of good will.

PennyO's show is a show that had me and the gal thinking a lot about afterwards. Such a unique balance of the comic and the tragic. The things you find yourself laughing at and then saying, "Hey wait, should I be lauging?" But sometimes you laugh to keep from crying, right? Anyways, a one of a kind entertainment. As Kay Kyser used to say, "Beautiful thoughts, beautifully expressed."

Armenian Girl Dolls? Now that is a concept whose time has come.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 11:39:49 PM »

DRs Ben and Ant/Anthony/Baxter - Here's a pic of Nick - Ant's future Hero in Forum this summer.  -His pic is on a few theatre websites, so...

Sorry I can't post his legs and abs.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 11:41:11 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 11:42:50 PM »

Armenian Girl Dolls? Now that is a concept whose time has come.

So, would they be a live version of those "nesting dolls"?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 11:48:12 PM »

Hey Jose! It's funny to post on here after just riding in a cab with you. Last night it was Elmore.
Genuinely great seeing all the faces who could make it out here to NYC. Everyone is good people, right down the line. If any of you are ever in the city again and want to hang out, let me know.

Tomorrow I have a matinee. But not to play for, just to go see, the Elvis musical. Then the Gal's taking me out for a special meal at Rosa Mexicano, which, if you haven't been, has the best classy Mexican food anywhere, and that includes Logan, Utah.

The bar was indeed called Rufus, and my friend was actually still spinning platters when we left. The guy who was leaving the place was the drummer in my band along with his wife.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 11:48:52 PM »

DR elmore - My apologies for making you feel slighted and neglected.  We shall definitely head to Artie's - or someplace else if you like - this Monday or Tuesday evening.

Oh..but I guess I should see what DR Rodzinski is up to those nights... :P

Are you back at the "office" this week at all?  Whichever office that may be.  I'd actually like to stop by and check out the digs if there's anything worth checking out.  All your musical archaeology has me hankering for those days where I would literally spend the whole day at the Library of Congress pulling up scores, and then hiding out in one of the grand piano rooms - and they have nice pianos in the LoC! - just discovering some truly hidden and neglected gems.

But we're definitely on for Artie's this week!  I need my kasha varnishkas fix!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 12:14:31 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 11:51:38 PM »

OH!!!!  And the reason for DR Rodzinski's special meal at Rosa Mexicano...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR RODZINKSI!!!!

-Told you I would post that info. ;)

-And splurge on the guacamole.  It's prepared tableside in an authentic mocajete.  Hmm... I used to know one of the dinner captains there... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 11:53:30 PM »

It was also great seeing Panni again.  She's in town for a few days for some very exciting meetings for a very exciting project.  Green lights for everyone!
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 11:57:12 PM »

Thanks for the wishes. Yeah, that guac is the shizzle, as the kids say. I took the Gal there for her Birthday, and had a mushroom covered steak that was literally the best thing I've ever eaten, so I figured we could go again on my day.

Let me know what you guys do this week and I can meet up with y'all after work.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005, 11:57:12 PM »

DR Michael Shayne - Safe travels to you too.  And glad you liked Spamalot - and snagged a ticket too!

When I walked out of Angus, Christopher Seiber was standing right there on the sidewalk.  We caught up briefly - very briefly.  -I've done a few show with his partner, Kevin Burroughs.  And I have to say, Christopher is looking as hunky as ever.  ;)

And then I saw Mr. Tim Curry  - a.k.a. DR Pogue's neighbor - walk out a bit later.  It turns out, most of the company of Spamalot was downstairs while we were upstairs.

...Oooh... I should have asked Chris for a house seat!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 12:01:59 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 12:00:28 AM »

Sleepytime Express for me.

Safe returns to all!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 12:00:49 AM »

Tomorrow I have a matinee. But not to play for, just to go see, the Elvis musical. Then the Gal's taking me out for a special meal at Rosa Mexicano, which, if you haven't been, has the best classy Mexican food anywhere, and that includes Logan, Utah.[/i]

I get that reference!  ;)

The bar was indeed called Rufus, and my friend was actually still spinning platters when we left. The guy who was leaving the place was the drummer in my band along with his wife.

Thanks for the clarification.  As for the guy leaving... He was cute, as were a bunch of other men in the bar.  Too bad the bar wasn't down in Chelsea.

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 12:04:45 AM »

Dearest BK - Hope you were able to grab a few winks.  And the highlights look great. As does the jacket.  I tried scouting out one earlier in Chelsea between shows, but the sale prices at that Banana Republic were not marked down to the relative steal you got.  I'll have to check again later in the week.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 12:06:08 AM »

DR George - Are you on the Sondheim listserv?  There a bunch of people who recorded the whole event, and are offering to make copies for people.  So...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 12:07:31 AM »

DR Jane - A lot of the places I listed offer small bites and portions of food.  So...  However, whatever you don't finish, I'd be more than happy to consume.  Waste not, want not.  Waist not, walk more!
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 12:09:26 AM »

Have a great matinee!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 12:10:25 AM »

DR JRand, Ginny and Joey - Ooohhh!!!  It looks like I may have 1/2 pricers for MAMMA MIA!.  I'll keep you posted.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 12:16:50 AM »

Since it's free for all day...  This was prompted by a snippet of conversation between myself and the esteemed BK earlier tonight...

What Randy Vicar story would you most like to hear?

And/or do you have a Randy Vicar story that you'd like to share?

I have to wonder if there's a Tale of the Randy Vicar and the Haitian Dog?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 12:21:28 AM »

OOh... I headed to the Chelsea Market between shows to grab a bite to eat.  I ended up back at Hale & Hearty Soups - had the Mulligitawny Soup and 1/2 a Turkey and Brie Sandwich.  For dessert, I headed back over to FatWitch and picked up Baby Blondie - it's about 1/3 the size of their regular brownie.  But, then to top it all off, I went over to the Donnybrook Dairy counter, and got a scoop of their French Toast Ice Cream!  Soooo good!  Creamy vanilla ice cream, with actual chunks of French Toast in it.  Yummy!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2005, 12:36:13 AM »

And tomorrow's culinary goal is to go back to that bakery on 8th Avenue I passed earlier today that had trays of Zeppoles and Sfingis in their windows.  They're the traditional pastries for St. Joseph's Day - which was yesterday, March 19.  There was an article in the NY Times earlier this week, and after reading them, I simply must have one of them.  Or Both!

Sfingi:

Zeppole:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 12:37:31 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up